Spinoff: What Street Did You Grow Up On?

The first address I remember was a Drive. Lived there from aged 4 or 5 until 7. Then we moved to another state (back where I was born, Army brat) and lived on a Road, my Dad is still there now. 1st Apartment was on a Blvd. Then I moved to Va where we lived on a Rural Route (Route * Box ####) They were working on making the change to actual street names for 911 but we moved before it was official. Would have been a Drive. Now I live on a Way

As a kid, a street. As a teen, my family moved to a new suburban subdivision where all the street names had pretentious suffixes. We lived on XXX Ridge. There were also Hill, Crescent, Trail, and English Ivyway.

In college my dorm address was Bradford Hall.

After college, a road, and two streets.
Getting just slightly off-topic here but I work for a homebuilder. I often get a good laugh out of some of the street names. In fairness, it can't be easy to come up with hundreds of street names in the new subdivisions, as opposed to the simple numerical grid-system of streets and avenues in yesteryear. My current favorite, in a neighbourhood called Redstone, is Red Sky Green. :rotfl:

Last edited:

I’ve lived on a road, two courts, a circle, and a bend.

I was looking at Google maps the other day for directions and stumbled upon an area neighborhood that has the same name for every street. Xxxx Xxx Lane meandering in every direction through and around 144 residences. I can’t imagine how frustrating it would be to try to give someone directions to your home.

“Turn left onto Xxxx Xxx Lane, then make your first right onto Xxxx Xxx Lane. At the fork, stay to the right on Xxxx Xxx Lane, then take the second right onto Xxxx Xxx Lane. Follow that to the end, then make a left onto Xxxx Xxx Lane. Crossover the third Xxxx Xxx Lane you come to and we’re the second house on the right. If you get to Xxxx Xxx Lane, you’ve gone too far.”

Just, why?

I lived in the country off of a county road so our address was rural route something box whatever until they implemented 911 addressing in our area and they changed it to a street

Ditto This.

When it went to 911 addressing, it became XXX E. County Rd. XXX N.

Interesting side note: The N,S,E,W indicators tell you where a home is in relation to the county seat. It made finding homes in the county so much easier (prior to GPS navigation) and I'm sure it saved many lives. I can't imagine how they located fires and accidents in a timely fashion prior to this update.

I’ve lived on a road, two courts, a circle, and a bend.

I was looking at Google maps the other day for directions and stumbled upon an area neighborhood that has the same name for every street. Xxxx Xxx Lane meandering in every direction through and around 144 residences. I can’t imagine how frustrating it would be to try to give someone directions to your home.

“Turn left onto Xxxx Xxx Lane, then make your first right onto Xxxx Xxx Lane. At the fork, stay to the right on Xxxx Xxx Lane, then take the second right onto Xxxx Xxx Lane. Follow that to the end, then make a left onto Xxxx Xxx Lane. Crossover the third Xxxx Xxx Lane you come to and we’re the second house on the right. If you get to Xxxx Xxx Lane, you’ve gone too far.”

Just, why?

We have a moderate sized "over 55" community. Every single street in the subdivision has the same NAME but will have a different "street, road, lane" indicator. For example Smith Road, Smith Street, Smith Lane....

While stupid, it seems like it's clear enough..... but it can really mess with your head when you're trying to find a house that sits on a corner. Especially when the same corner has 100 Smith Rd. 100 Smith St. 100 Smith Lane all facing each other. Did I mention that all the houses are the same? It gets super confusing. lol.
I'm a nurse and I see patients in the home. When I have first patient visits in this community, and I'm not 100% sure which house is theirs, I will call from the corner, and ask for a landmark "red/white/blue wreath?" "2 black rocking chairs?" "green car in the drive?" lol

Getting just slightly off-topic here but I work for a homebuilder. I often get a good laugh out of some of the street names. In fairness, it can't be easy to come up with hundreds of street names in the new subdivisions, as opposed to the simple numerical grid-system of streets and avenues in yesteryear. My current favorite, in a neighbourhood called Redstone, is Red Sky Green. :rotfl:
Yes! Some street names in newer areas are ridiculous.

My cousin lives on Jodi-Lynn Place. I don’t know if the street is named after the builder’s wife/daughter or whatever. And if two women are involved, couldn’t he give them each a separate street?

About 7 years ago we were checking out a brand new 55+ subdivision. We weren’t serious about moving, but were just curious. There were a few model homes, but nothing else built yet, and I picked up the brochure with a map of the planned streets.

Names like Spinning Wheel Drive and Fairy Blossom Court. :scared1:

Grew up on a street, got married and lived on a street, bought a house and live on a road.

We have a moderate sized "over 55" community. Every single street in the subdivision has the same NAME but will have a different "street, road, lane" indicator. For example Smith Road, Smith Street, Smith Lane....

While stupid, it seems like it's clear enough..... but it can really mess with your head when you're trying to find a house that sits on a corner. Especially when the same corner has 100 Smith Rd. 100 Smith St. 100 Smith Lane all facing each other. Did I mention that all the houses are the same? It gets super confusing. lol.
I'm a nurse and I see patients in the home. When I have first patient visits in this community, and I'm not 100% sure which house is theirs, I will call from the corner, and ask for a landmark "red/white/blue wreath?" "2 black rocking chairs?" "green car in the drive?" lol
Interestingly, while not expressly an over-55, the community I mentioned where all the streets have the exact same name is comprised of all ground-level, one-floor residences and from the online pictures looks like it exclusively appeals to seniors. It seems extra cruel to give confusing street names to that group!

The street names in my neighborhood bother me. :laughing: There are 15 streets and 14 different indicators — each street type is unique with the exception of two “courts.” Really, you couldn’t think of just one more? And each street name comes in pairs. For example, Oak Ave and Oak Lane, Pine Court and Pine Street, etc. Despite most of the streets being double cul de sacs, the matching names aren’t paired together, they’re scattered all around the neighborhood with no rhyme or reason. My street is the only one that intersects with its match.

Last edited:
An example of the roads around me would be something like 600N or 1100W. An address would read 345 600N and then the town, state and zip. Just a number and the location within the county was all we got. No streets, avenues or anything else.

An example of the roads around me would be something like 600N or 1100W. An address would read 345 600N and then the town, state and zip. Just a number and the location within the county was all we got. No streets, avenues or anything else.
Salt Lake City or elsewhere in Utah?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter