Spinoff: Christmas Eve Dinner

Did your grandmother pass around oplatek (plural oplatki) on Christmas Eve?

A thin flavorless wafer, usually stamped with a Nativity or other religious scene.

View attachment 819272

The oldest present usually starts with a whole wafer, then each other person breaks off a small piece. Then others take turns breaking off pieces of everyone else’s wafer while offering good wishes.

View attachment 819273
:grouphug: That sounds lovely; a wonderful sentiment and tradition. Curious though - wouldn't it work just as well with something that tastes good? ;)

A thin flavorless wafer, usually stamped with a Nativity or other religious scene.

View attachment 819272

The oldest present usually starts with a whole wafer, then each other person breaks off a small piece. Then others take turns breaking off pieces of everyone else’s wafer while offering good wishes.

View attachment 819273
My grandparents always did the o-pwa-tek thing. But I haven’t done so in about 40 years. I wouldn’t even know where to get some.

:grouphug: That sounds lovely; a wonderful sentiment and tradition. Curious though - wouldn't it work just as well with something that tastes good? ;)
They’re basically like a Communion wafer. i like the idea of adding some flavored extract to the recipe, like anisette or rum.

When I was kid, my Dad always kept the store open a little late (like 6:30 instead of 5:00 - simpler times :laughing: ) for last-minute shoppers, so Mom would make homemade split pea soup, and everyone could eat when they got hungry. I don't do that, since neither DH nor DS likes it, but I do make her shrimp cream cheese appetizer. Not sure what I'm making for actual dinner, though.

View attachment 819272

View attachment 819273
We used to do this each Christmas with a friend of our family, a nun who is from Poland originally. She would bring the wafer with her and we'd do this before dinner. Sister Anne is now 95 and still kicking - she's become a family member of ours. :lovestruc

When I was kid, my Dad always kept the store open a little late (like 6:30 instead of 5:00 - simpler times :laughing: ) for last-minute shoppers, so Mom would make homemade split pea soup, and everyone could eat when they got hungry. I don't do that, since neither DH nor DS likes it, but I do make her shrimp cream cheese appetizer. Not sure what I'm making for actual dinner, though.
Wow ...you just brought back a memory. I was never a Pea fan(or a soup fan for that matter!) so the thought of both together wasn't for me! But years ago I was out in Solvang, CA and tried some at Andersen's -the Pea Soup Capital of the World, by the way 😉. It was sooo good ...I miss that Pea Soup!

Wow ...you just brought back a memory. I was never a Pea fan(or a soup fan for that matter!) so the thought of both together wasn't for me! But years ago I was out in Solvang, CA and tried some at Andersen's -the Pea Soup Capital of the World, by the way 😉. It was sooo good ...I miss that Pea Soup!
I love pea soup and use the ham bone whenever we have one. It’s delicious. I bought some bacon online from one of the ham companies for Christmas as a tradition and had to sneak in a couple of ham hocks for making soup since we’re not having ham.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter