Speed Queen Washer

4kids4karen

DIS Veteran
I have been out of the country for the last couple weeks. While gone our washing machine has yet went out. DH wants to buy a new one and says he wants my input (he stayed back home while I am traveling). What model is best for a family of six? Our repairman didn’t seem to like outs not having the thing stick up in the center (agitator) but I was heavy blankets sometimes. Speed Queen is what our repairman keeps recommending. We can not do a front loader. Any models that have a large capacity you can recommend so he can look before I return. One he is looking at is at Famous Tate and says it’s a basic one for around $975.

Speed Queens are kind of the workhorse of washers. It's a brand you typically see in a laundromat. We almost bought a Speed Queen when our last went out but I was hesitant due to cost. Now I wish I had as ours is so awful and doesn't wash well at all. Four years old and going out already. Anyways, I think a SQ could handle your heavy bedding.

Family of 6 adult sized folks. Owned a Speed Queen top loader with electronic controls for 4 years-love it- no issues. Wash anything I want in it. The model with electronic controls had a 5 year warranty. Non electronic controls was one year.

There are not a large number of different models as these are sturdy, no frills,workhorse washers built in USA and sold by their reputation.

The capacity is not as large as the other brands, but a load is washed in 30 minutes. Capacity size has never been an issue. We have washed everything bedding etc.and have had kids in sports. Never a problem with capacity.

Reliability and durability sells the machine

Visit their website speedqueen .com and you'll see all that they offer and see that it is just three models for home use.

We bought what our store had in stock, as I needed a washer to take home that day- choices were electronic controls on non electronic controls.

ETA I just looked. My machine says 'Commercial Heavy Duty' on the front. Model awne82sp113tw01.

Last edited:

friend of mine bought a new Speed Queen last year; highly recommended by a local appliance store that has been in business for 30-40 years. They said Speed Queen is hands down the best there is.

My Speed Queen is arriving in a couple of hours. I went with the middle unit, that comes with a five year warranty and a hand wash cycle. I just throw laundry in and start it, so I don't need bells an whistles. I just wanted something that would fit in my space and clean our clothes. LOL

Speed Queen has a great reputation yet I am not aware of anyone I know that has a consumer model.

A friend has worked for 20 years for a guy who owns 400 apartments. He has given up on being loyal to a brand, he buys the cheapest commercial units he can get and replaces them once a year, or if they break which they rarely do in just a year. His tenants are happy because basically there are always new washers and dryers. He charges $1 for a wash and drying is free. If an $800 washer and $800 dryer are used for 5 loads a day, he's making money. He makes thousands on the laundry room.
Renters can be animals with washers and dryers. The internals hold up, but the cabinets are all dented up after a year.

We bought a Speed Queen washer in January. I'm very happy with it. It cleans extremely well, is fast, and is quiet.

The company introduced new models this year (and discontinued the old ones). There are still 3 home models. The base model has manual (ie, knobs, no electronic push buttons) controls, fewer cycles and a 3 year warranty. For about $100 more, the mid level also had manual controls but with more cycles and a 5 year warranty. The top model has electronic controls and a 7 year warranty. I think it was about $200 more than the mid level. I went with the mid level because it had the cycles that I used the most and I didn't care if it had electronic controls. It is model TR 5. I wished it had a rinse and spin cycle, but wasn't willing to spend $200 more for it especially since it does have a spin only cycle.

From what I can tell and what the salesman told me, the machines are pretty much the same--the difference comes in with the number of cycles and electronic vs. manual controls--obviously those criteria are your personal preference vs. how much you want to spend.

My mother in law has the old-model base model and sister in law has the old-model top of the line with electronic controls. She chose it because it looked better. They are both happy with their machines (and my mother in law is super particular about laundry.)

Just looked up the price--the TR5 was $899 plus tax where I bought it. We are a family of 5, with three teenagers. I have individually washed a queen sized quilt, a bulky XL twin comforter, and all sizes of mattress pads in it without any issues.

Last edited:
Another very happy TR 5 Speed Queen owner. We got ours in the spring and have been very pleased with it. I had been reading about the Speed Queens on the Dis, DH did some research and came up with Speed Queen, the sales person recommended it, as did a friend of ours who is an appliance repairman. They are a work horse.

I have a Speed Queen and I sing its praises everywhere.

Work Horse is right! The old MayTag couldn't hold a candle to this machine.

I have the older model with no bells and whistles... We chose the classic mechanical dials over electronic controls (less to go wrong!) The one Bell/whistle feature that we got was a switch that activates an Extra Rinse Cycle. It's handy when you need it.

My grandmother got one with the electronic controls. The only difference between hers and mine is that hers won't run the water while the lid is lifted. (I pour my detergent in as the water runs to ensure it mixes in. A habit I have had since my mom's crap old MayTag used to not agitate well.)

It is a brand known for laundromat machines, and those things are made to take the abuse. I was told that there's not a ton of difference between the commercial and home use machines.

You won't regret getting a SpeedQueen.

Speed Queen is terrific. Mine is about 5 years old. The midlevel one, non electronic. Puts all my other appliances to shame.

Bought a Speed Queen washer and dryer this past spring. Both are middle of line with 5 year warranties. Absolutely love them both. Yes they cost more than others but they are built so much better. Our GE would get off-balance all the time. I was shown how Speed Queen is made and told it doesn’t do that. So far they are right. Also told smaller capacity but it washes as much as my old GE.

So our Famous Tate does not have the lower end model in the store. They have the T5 and T7 in the store. The manual (T5) was all we needed but for $70 more went with the electronic (T7) and seven year warranty. Then there was a sale and military package. It will be delivered in a couple days.

They charge $9 to haul away the current washer which isn't bad. The problem we are having is it isn't draining property and we think the pump is acting up. We have had it repaired several times. Do you think it's worth donating or offering on my local Facebook as free if they haul away? I am in no way trying to get out of the $9. LOL. But if someone on a tight budget needs a washer and could repair and use it, I don't mind giving it away.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter