SpaceMan5 trip report...1/21-1/27, rides, BWPAI, food, etc

SpaceMan5

DIS Veteran
Hello All, We had an amazing time at the House of Mouse. A trip planned long, long ago that had many twists and turns (surgeries) before actually boarding the plane.

I would like to start out by saying the following comments are just my opinions, thoughts and observations and by no means the gospel truth. As with viewing art, 10 ppl will give you 10 different interpretations of it. So lets begin.....

Flew in on 1/21 and just visited Downtown Disney and had dinner at the Earl of Sandwich. I had the fish tacos and DD21 had fish and chips. Meh. Of course I had to have an Old Fashioned to start off the vacation and that was lacking as well. Not off to a rousing start food wise but it didn't hamper our enthusiasm for the days ahead.

So not to bore you with the specific rides each day but we were able to basically walk on or waited a few minutes for many of the rides in the early morning. We were always in the parks no later than 8:30 and hit rope drop one morning in DL. We avoided the EE by starting our day at the opposite park and then park hopped later in the day.

Ride Observations - The short wait times didn't last long once you got near midday so we felt the need to get Genie+. Even though we went last year we tend to take years off between visits so we felt the extra money was worth it by avoiding the standby lanes. We also purchased tixs to Rise and Radiator for the same reason. One exception to this was the Incredicoaster. It would have 5 min waits at different times of the day. (How about that chocolate chip cookie smell they pipe in on the ride!)

First time riding MMRR, Guardians, Web Slingers - all amazing!

Breakdowns - lots of them. I was expecting this but to be in the parks and experience it first hand is totally different. We had to alternate our plans here and there but it didn't slow us down. I did feel bad for those that may have waited for 45-60+ mins for Radiator, Rise, Indy or any ride to have it breakdown on them.

Food - The teriyaki chicken at the Lucky Fortune was excellent along with the clam chowder bowl from Aunt Cass Cafe. The chowder matched up pretty good to some of the local Seattle chowders. The rib eye steak from Wine Country Trattoria was fantastic. I have to admit I cook a mean steak on the grill or on the cast iron skillet and they did a great job. DD21 even said that I have some competition now. So after Earl the food got better and better as the days went on.

Misc - I boarded the train near Toon Town and while we waited for a train to be added to the line I got to talking with Conductor Mike from Texas. Talked about various things - One main computer for Indy but each vehicle has it's own computer system, The oldest train is from the late 1800's and another from the early 1900's. They are adding a bar/lounge at the HM. The old tracks for SM and BTMRR are filled with air and would crack easily. Good guy as were all of the other CM's that we encountered, all very helpful and good natured.

Last but not least, the Hotel. We typically stay at the BWPPI but opted for the BWAPI which was a bit cheaper. The exterior is aging like BWPPI but the rooms were nicer. More updated feel, no chips and cracks here and there. We got back to the room a little after 9:00PM Wed night and was a bit surprised to hear a live band rocking a few buildings away. I believe it may have been at the Grand Legacy roof top lounge?? They also had a DJ playing Fri night but not as loud. Neither kept us up but it was something I may have missed in past reviews. Lets put it this way, it wouldn't stop me from booking the BWAPI again.

To sum it all up, we had an absolute great time! Looking forward to our next trip. Cheers!!

Glad you guys had a good time!

How was it dealing with the rain? We were actually supposed to be in the parks from 1/17-1/23 but a family illness forced us to cancel/postpone the trip. Was sad until I saw that there was heavy rains for what would have been about half the trip. We've had times with extreme heat at DL but never rain and the downpours I could see on some live-streams looked pretty rough.

Thanks for the review! I'm glad you had a good time. Those train facts you shared are very interesting. Did you have a favorite ride or meal?(I'm guessing the steak) Did you get any neat souvenirs?

Hello All, We had an amazing time at the House of Mouse. A trip planned long, long ago that had many twists and turns (surgeries) before actually boarding the plane.

I would like to start out by saying the following comments are just my opinions, thoughts and observations and by no means the gospel truth. As with viewing art, 10 ppl will give you 10 different interpretations of it. So lets begin.....

Flew in on 1/21 and just visited Downtown Disney and had dinner at the Earl of Sandwich. I had the fish tacos and DD21 had fish and chips. Meh. Of course I had to have an Old Fashioned to start off the vacation and that was lacking as well. Not off to a rousing start food wise but it didn't hamper our enthusiasm for the days ahead.

So not to bore you with the specific rides each day but we were able to basically walk on or waited a few minutes for many of the rides in the early morning. We were always in the parks no later than 8:30 and hit rope drop one morning in DL. We avoided the EE by starting our day at the opposite park and then park hopped later in the day.

Ride Observations - The short wait times didn't last long once you got near midday so we felt the need to get Genie+. Even though we went last year we tend to take years off between visits so we felt the extra money was worth it by avoiding the standby lanes. We also purchased tixs to Rise and Radiator for the same reason. One exception to this was the Incredicoaster. It would have 5 min waits at different times of the day. (How about that chocolate chip cookie smell they pipe in on the ride!)

First time riding MMRR, Guardians, Web Slingers - all amazing!

Breakdowns - lots of them. I was expecting this but to be in the parks and experience it first hand is totally different. We had to alternate our plans here and there but it didn't slow us down. I did feel bad for those that may have waited for 45-60+ mins for Radiator, Rise, Indy or any ride to have it breakdown on them.

Food - The teriyaki chicken at the Lucky Fortune was excellent along with the clam chowder bowl from Aunt Cass Cafe. The chowder matched up pretty good to some of the local Seattle chowders. The rib eye steak from Wine Country Trattoria was fantastic. I have to admit I cook a mean steak on the grill or on the cast iron skillet and they did a great job. DD21 even said that I have some competition now. So after Earl the food got better and better as the days went on.

Misc - I boarded the train near Toon Town and while we waited for a train to be added to the line I got to talking with Conductor Mike from Texas. Talked about various things - One main computer for Indy but each vehicle has it's own computer system, The oldest train is from the late 1800's and another from the early 1900's. They are adding a bar/lounge at the HM. The old tracks for SM and BTMRR are filled with air and would crack easily. Good guy as were all of the other CM's that we encountered, all very helpful and good natured.

Last but not least, the Hotel. We typically stay at the BWPPI but opted for the BWAPI which was a bit cheaper. The exterior is aging like BWPPI but the rooms were nicer. More updated feel, no chips and cracks here and there. We got back to the room a little after 9:00PM Wed night and was a bit surprised to hear a live band rocking a few buildings away. I believe it may have been at the Grand Legacy roof top lounge?? They also had a DJ playing Fri night but not as loud. Neither kept us up but it was something I may have missed in past reviews. Lets put it this way, it wouldn't stop me from booking the BWAPI again.

To sum it all up, we had an absolute great time! Looking forward to our next trip. Cheers!!
Glad you had an enjoyable trip!!!

Glad you guys had a good time!

How was it dealing with the rain? We were actually supposed to be in the parks from 1/17-1/23 but a family illness forced us to cancel/postpone the trip. Was sad until I saw that there was heavy rains for what would have been about half the trip. We've had times with extreme heat at DL but never rain and the downpours I could see on some live-streams looked pretty rough.
We are from WA so we brought along our rain gear so it was no problem at all. It actually rained harder when we visited DL last Jan. Personally, I would rather deal with the rain than extreme heat.

Still a bummer you had to cancel your trip

Thanks for the review! I'm glad you had a good time. Those train facts you shared are very interesting. Did you have a favorite ride or meal?(I'm guessing the steak) Did you get any neat souvenirs?
Favorite ride, tough to pick just one. Top 3 in no particular order - Rise, Guardians, Incredicoaster.

You guessed correctly, the rib eye steak was #1

I usually don't buy souvenirs but this time I got a full zip dark blue hoodie w/ Disneyland across the back, heavy material, stiched. And to top it off, storm trooper helmet for the man cave. :darth:

We are from WA so we brought along our rain gear so it was no problem at all. It actually rained harder when we visited DL last Jan. Personally, I would rather deal with the rain than extreme heat.

I completely agree about the heat. I don't handle the heat well so I'll take rain any day. I'm in Washington as well and rain is just normal to me.

Enjoyed your trip report! I love the trivia part. It's always so interesting to me when I get to talk to people who "know stuff" about the parks. Sadly, I usually don't remember a lot of it, but I still love to hear the stories and info. Glad you had a good trip!

We experienced in-line or on-ride breakdowns this week on Webslingers, Webslingers again, IJA, MMRR, and Star Tours, in 3.5 days. In addition we wound up with SIX MEPs yesterday and at least 1 every other day.

This morning at park open, in addition to HM being down for refurb (and obviously no Splash), Rise, MFSR, Jungle Cruise, IJA, and MMRR were all down, sending everyone to the (remaining) mountains. Waits were bad everywhere pretty much immediately as a result.

The downtime is a serious problem.

Sounds like a great trip! I have only had Earl of Sandwich once and we were so disappointed (years ago) that I have never been able to talk anyone into trying it again. I love me some fish taco's however so thanks for the report!

Oh man we were there innsome serious rain last year in January!! The rain was coming in sideways it rained so hard. I was terrified driving there

We experienced in-line or on-ride breakdowns this week on Webslingers, Webslingers again, IJA, MMRR, and Star Tours, in 3.5 days. In addition we wound up with SIX MEPs yesterday and at least 1 every other day.

This morning at park open, in addition to HM being down for refurb (and obviously no Splash), Rise, MFSR, Jungle Cruise, IJA, and MMRR were all down, sending everyone to the (remaining) mountains. Waits were bad everywhere pretty much immediately as a result.

The downtime is a serious problem.
I was kind of sugar coating it in my OP but I agree it is a serious problem. We had a full 5 days in the park so we could dance around the closures but I can't imagine if you had only 2 days or so.

Oh man we were there innsome serious rain last year in January!! The rain was coming in sideways it rained so hard. I was terrified driving there
I know, right! We happened to be in line for BTMRR at its worse and everyone was just laughing at how bad it was. I couldn't keep my eyes open on the ride since it was raining so hard. 😄

I know, right! We happened to be in line for BTMRR at its worse and everyone was just laughing at how bad it was. I couldn't keep my eyes open on the ride since it was raining so hard. 😄
That happened to us last year, and my kids (who are teens) thought it was the most exciting way to ride BTMRR. I was like ok, if you say so. They went on Matterhorn a few times in a row next while the boring adults moved over to (indoor) HM. We did get some great family photos in the rain, and it was our most productive park time in a very crowded week - gotta roll with the weather you get, eh?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter