Space Mountain Temporarily Closed

YayforMickey

Mouseketeer
I'm curious about why Space Mountain has been shown on the app as being "temporarily closed" since yesterday evening. Anyone have any insight?

I've been watching wait times and fastpass return times for my trip next week, and I haven't seen Space Mountain open since yesterday afternoon. It always just says "temporarily closed." I hope it comes back soon!

I read on FB yesterday that there was some kind of accident, but there were no details, so no idea if that is true or not.

I was in line, waiting in row 1 to be boarded when it shut down yesterday afternoon. (I think it was about 2:30?) The group that was on the ride then said someone had fallen out, and a couple people were yelling something about their friend missing. (The Group was mainly special needs people so I’m not sure how much is true?) I heard one of the cast members say something about someone trying to get out of their seat.

They gave everyone fast passes for any ride in the park and that group stayed behind, so I don’t know what happened. Several people on twitter have been asking Disneylandtoday for updates. Just hope no one got hurt :(

I was in line, waiting in row 1 to be boarded when it shut down yesterday afternoon. (I think it was about 2:30?) The group that was on the ride then said someone had fallen out, and a couple people were yelling something about their friend missing. (The Group was mainly special needs people so I’m not sure how much is true?) I heard one of the cast members say something about someone trying to get out of their seat.

They gave everyone fast passes for any ride in the park and that group stayed behind, so I don’t know what happened. Several people on twitter have been asking Disneylandtoday for updates. Just hope no one got hurt :(

Wow! Thanks for the information. I hope everyone is okay.

I also hope no one was hurt and doubt someone "fell out," but it may be a case where someone was able to mess with the safety restraints or the safety system enough that Disney has spent the last day or two going over the safety protocol with CMs and retooling things.

Last edited:
Secondly, how could a person even fall out of that ride? Seems impossible but maybe I’m missing something?

Very easily actually.

Purely hypothetical and no knowledge of this incident...but say it was possibly a special needs guest as indicated above, if they were determined to get out while the SM car was moving, it would be quite doable.

That exact thing happened at a theme park in NorCal years ago. A young guest that was mentally disabled consciously slipped himself out of the over shoulder restraints on a drop ride and fell to his death...so with nothing more than a lap bar on SM it is quite feasible.

If that is the case I hope they were banned. Those poor CM were probably genuinely concerned that a person had been hurt.

I’m inclined to believe the hoax theory because I think of something like that had actually happened we’d be hearing a lot more about it. If it was a hoax created by those guys I hope they are banned and charged.

I misread this as a twitter hoax (like a false rumor spread on twitter) but I think it would be better to describe this as a prank, if that's what ended up happening.

If something really bad happened, it would be all over the news.

Must have been some major issue with the ride for it to be down this long.

If something really bad happened, it would be all over the news.

Must have been some major issue with the ride for it to be down this long.

Most likely they had do do a thorough investigation to confirm that it was a prank and that the ride was safe. They can't assume that a report like that isn't real and have to treat it like it is. I'm not surprised that that process caused a long closure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter