Space bag for traveling

Zoom

DIS Veteran
Does anybody tried using space bags for traveling? I just saw it in a tv commercial, Are all DVC studios have vaccuums?

All vacuums are uprights and do not have attachments. You can't use them with the Space Bags. You can get Space bags that you roll to get the air out.

The Space Bags that are recommended for traveling don't need a vaccuum. You sort of lean on them or roll a bit to force the air out through the baffle. I use them all the time for travel - made a big diffrence in how much space Ineeded in the suitcase.

I found the space bags to be very helpful when packing multiple princess dresses. Of course, the lady-in-waiting (aka Grandma) had to iron the dresses when we got there!

Be careful if you use the space bags that your bags don't go over the weight limit for free baggage your airline. On American, its 50 pounds. Over that, and its an additional $25 or more charge.

-- Suzanne

Space bags are great for packing but as Suzanne said watch that you don't go over the weight limit - it becomes easier when you all the sudden feel like there's more room in the suitcase.

Also we have used the larger size Ziploc bags in the same way. The XL bags and 2 gallons etc. Just don't zip them completely closed, roll out the air then zip the rest.

What we have done is to take the Space Bags along, but not pack any clothes in them for the trip out.

On the return trip, the dirty clothes go into the space bags, this frees up space for all the stuff we bought.

What we have done is to take the Space Bags along, but not pack any clothes in them for the trip out.

On the return trip, the dirty clothes go into the space bags, this frees up space for all the stuff we bought.

I like this idea.

I use a couple of space bags and a bunch of various sized ziploc bags too. I especially like the idea that if my bags are opened by TSA (I have one with a weird bottom that they open almost every trip :confused3 ) my unmentionables are not being handled by sweaty strangers. I use the smaller bags in my carry on so on the few occasions that I have had that searched it is a much more comfortable experience. I won't travel without them these days!

I just bought some of these bags that you roll up to get the air out. Now I'm wondering if your clothing gets wrinkled up to the point where you can't wear anything without rewashing or ironing.

Does this happen? Is there a trick to keep everything from being wrinkled up?

Thats what I thought. Oh well. I'll have to brush up on my ironing skills now.

I have the bags you roll to get the air out and haven't used them in years. I found them to be PITA as far as how much time it took me to pack.

I have a better solution for Disney trips- get an Owner's Locker. We have a whole suitcase worth of stuff stored at Disney waiting for us to arrive. Now if we use two suitcases like we used to, we have plenty of empty space on the way down and plenty of room for stuff we buy to be able to bring it home.

Owner's Locker is great!

I have the bags you roll to get the air out and haven't used them in years. I found them to be PITA as far as how much time it took me to pack.

I bought them and I agree with Inkmahm, PITA. I found you couldn't really get that much in them and when I pack I rarely get wrinkled clothes anyway. Plus having a DH at 6'4" and 220 lbs, those tall size shirts dont' really fit in.

Now I do use the regular ones at home and I really like those, but I can pack alot faster and get all my clothes into the # of suitcases I plan to bring.

If you want packing tips, check out the Families board. You have the ziploc bag faction and the ones who start packing suitcases 6 months before the trip, and the ones who pack a checked bag full of water and food. :scared1:

We just used Space Bags on our last trip. We are a family of 5 who reduced our luggage from 6 bags to 3. The manual roll bags do not work as well as the ones that you use with a vacuume. Here is how we got around this. We purchased a small hand vacuume with a hose attachement and keep it in our owners locker. You can get these from Target. (Just make sure you get one with enough amps to do the Job). Our cost 24 bucks and works great. It is also small and we still have lots of room in our owners locker. It really made our last trip less stressful with less luggage. Give them a try.

WARNING!

Space bags allow you to pack a lot in your suitcase. So you happily pack all the clothes in space bags and head to the airport.... where you discover your well packed suitcase weighs MORE then 50 lbs and you are charged. Happens a LOT!

(Also, I don't think all the DVC vacs have hoses so if your space bag needs a hose you may be out of luck)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter