Southwest Fans... are you reconsidering

Has your dedication to SW changed?

• No, they're still my "go to" choice.

Votes: 93 40.4%
  • I'll look elsewhere, but will probably book with SW.

Votes: 56 24.3%
  • I'll look elsewhere, and am more willing to book elsewhere.

Votes: 56 24.3%
  • I will book with another airline.

Votes: 25 10.9%

• Total voters

sam_gordon

DIS Veteran
I know there are many here who use SW. Have the multiple problems that SW has had this year changed your thinking? Yes, I get all airlines have problems, but it seems like SW has had major issues a couple times this year that other airlines have not had.

I keep giving them the benefit of the doubt, along with our long history of business with them. But they seem like a horse and buggy company in a high-tech world right now. I'm not sure how they turn it around and get back to where they need to be. I think a combination of too much expansion (international), a pandemic, and old infrastructure will have us wanting to use them (and all our rewards points), but looking elsewhere for options most trips.

I'll continue to book with SW. I waiver between SW/JetBlue and sometimes Delta and go with whatever airline has the best options (both price and time) for my intended travel.

I can drive 2 hrs and fly SW saving $500 or more on 2 tickets.

if I am only doing one or two trips a year, then I will fly Delta but when going to MCO 3/4 times a year, SW is worth the risk and savings.

If I can make other airlines work for me like SW does I'll consider it. The problem I have is that the two nearest airports to me, the only airline that has non-stops to FL is SW. I have a trip to MCO booked in three weeks, I paid 17,000 points for my non-stop round trip. Today I booked a backup on Delta that cost me 34,000 points with a layover in Detroit on the way down and LaGuardia on the way back. To get to an airport that offers non-stop flights on a legacy is a 3 hour drive, then I'm paying 20k points.

SW isn't convenient for me, but seeing those airport shots reminded me why I don't check bags unless I have no choice.
One thing I like about Delta is they KNOW the last place your bag was seen. After check in, I can look at the app and see my bag was checked in, it was loaded on flight xxx, it was unloaded from flight, etc. It may not be exactly real time, but within 5-10 minutes.

I keep reading articles saying SW is telling people they have no idea where bags are and it amazes me.

One thing I like about Delta is they KNOW the last place your bag was seen. After check in, I can look at the app and see my bag was checked in, it was loaded on flight xxx, it was unloaded from flight, etc. It may not be exactly real time, but within 5-10 minutes.

Everyone should have an AirTag in their bag anyway. At least in that stack of Southwest luggage you know what city it's in.

If I can make other airlines work for me like SW does I'll consider it. The problem I have is that the two nearest airports to me, the only airline that has non-stops to FL is SW. I have a trip to MCO booked in three weeks, I paid 17,000 points for my non-stop round trip. Today I booked a backup on Delta that cost me 34,000 points with a layover in Detroit on the way down and LaGuardia on the way back. To get to an airport that offers non-stop flights on a legacy is a 3 hour drive, then I'm paying 20k points.
I've got to drive 90 minutes to one of two airports to use SW, and have only once where SW was cheaper than the legacy. I do like SOME things about SW, but Delta's my "go to" (and I've gone to one of those distant airports to fly Delta to save money).

We flew southwest exclusively for maybe 10 years and before that mostly AirTran (who if I remember correctly was bought by southwest). They always had the cheapest rates and liked that bags were included.

Over thanksgiving we flew United. It was cheaper, and offered direct flights for us. After having booked them, I think I’ll stick with United (or American/delta). Just having carry one wasn’t an issue for us as I thought it might be. We usually do laundry on vacation so don’t need a weeks worth of clothes anyways.

Best of all was having guaranteed seats. I always booked early bird with SW but it kept getting more and more expensive. And depending where you’re flying from (especially MCO), half the plane would be full by the time we’d get on even with early bird.

No need to rush to be on the plane on other airlines where you pick your seat. Only reason is space for your carry on, but even if they end up checking it you don’t have to pay and you get it right when you get off the plane I think (don’t have to go to baggage claim).

I’m not saying I’ll never fly them again. Will look elsewhere first, and if I would end up with SW it will definitely only be non stop.

Only reason is space for your carry on, but even if they end up checking it you don’t have to pay and you get it right when you get off the plane I think (don’t have to go to baggage claim).
On Delta, if you "gate check" your bag (where they put a luggage tag on it, I'm not talking the pink/temporary tags), you get it at baggage claim.

On Delta, if you "gate check" your bag (where they put a luggage tag on it, I'm not talking the pink/temporary tags), you get it at baggage claim.
I wasn’t sure how it worked. I noticed on United they put tags on the bags for people at the gate. Then when we were leaving the planes there were bags with tags on the bridge. Not entirely sure how it works as we didn’t have to do that. They did say everyone in the last boarding group had to though.

I believe the majority of companies have under-invested in their technical infrastructure, and are trying to run too lean on labor for the demand they are trying to serve. The only difference is which companies have had that bite them in the behind already, of which Southwest is now one, and which ones will have it bite them in the future. So I'm not writing off Southwest completely. But since more airlines have made changes free, I am more willing to look at United (we fly them International / have a CC and get a free checked bag) domestically. The rest of Southwest's policies are good enough to still make them, generally, better than other airlines for me. The possible change to family boarding is more of a deal breaker to me than this, because MCO is a regular destination since my Dad lives in the Orlando area.

I wasn’t sure how it worked. I noticed on United they put tags on the bags for people at the gate. Then when we were leaving the planes there were bags with tags on the bridge. Not entirely sure how it works as we didn’t have to do that. They did say everyone in the last boarding group had to though.
Sorry to keep bringing up Delta, but they're my base knowledge... there's two kinds of "gate checking"...

Situation #1: You're boarding a smaller aircraft (so little overhead room for normal carryons) or have something larger than "normal" that you can't actually stow onboard (think stroller). Usually you go to the gate desk and they'll give you a small pink tag with an elastic band that you attach to your item. There's a small piece you tear off that has the same number that's on the tag. You leave the item at the end of the jetway (just before getting on the plane) or another dedicated area. When you get the destination for that leg, when you get off the plane, you wait at the end of the jetway or designated area and they bring up all of the pink tagged items. You take yours and continue to your connection.

Situation #2: There are so many people bringing carry ons, the airline will at some point make an announcement that there's not room for all of them, so you can bring them to the desk and check them to your final destination. They'll put a normal luggage tag on, you'll leave them in a dedicated area (possibly at the end of the jetway), and you pick them up at baggage claim at your destination.

I believe the majority of companies have under-invested in their technical infrastructure, and are trying to run too lean on labor for the demand they are trying to serve. The only difference is which companies have had that bite them in the behind already, of which Southwest is now one, and which ones will have it bite them in the future. So I'm not writing off Southwest completely. But since more airlines have made changes free, I am more willing to look at United (we fly them International / have a CC and get a free checked bag) domestically. The rest of Southwest's policies are good enough to still make them, generally, better than other airlines for me. The possible change to family boarding is more of a deal breaker to me than this, because MCO is a regular destination since my Dad lives in the Orlando area.
Yea, the adjusted (or adjusted again) family boarding policy is going to be interesting, especially with a kid destination like Orlando. At least they seem to be restricting the early boarding families to row 15 and back. But I remember the days of first-boarding families with one 2-year old kid and 17 family members hopping on with them. I guess it's the ongoing pros and cons of flying SW!

No need to rush to be on the plane on other airlines where you pick your seat. Only reason is space for your carry on, but even if they end up checking it you don’t have to pay and you get it right when you get off the plane I think (don’t have to go to baggage claim).

A few airlines have some sort of guaranteed overhead space situation now for premium economy and up. JetBlue guarantees space for every category but basic. So theoretically it shouldn't make a difference when you get up, but then you run into bin poachers cramming their stuff in the front bins before going to their 50Z seat.

Re: op, I've only flown SW once, years ago for work when I lived out west and my company didn't give me any other choice. Even though it was a short hop flight it reinforced why I never would fly them by choice. Just not for me. But I'm blessed to have options where I am, this week has really made me feel fortunate to live in a major hub for multiple airlines with 3 different big airports within an hour's radius. I ended up being delayed with Delta until the next morning but waited in the comfort of my home and made it for Xmas at my sister's with no issues. I flew back home from BWI on Tuesday and my heart went out to all the SW pax there lined up trying to find their bags. I hope everyone caught up in this is able to get home safely and gets adequate compensation, but I'm floored to hear people are still willing to give this company business after all this. As an IT professional I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole after what I've heard.

I’ll continue to book with them to get to MCO since I have a lot of points and can get there direct. Most other airlines out of my airport aren’t direct.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter