Southern California and Disneyland Adventure

I'm pulling old CC statements while I wait for a call back.

I did an add-on night at the end of the trip and I'm assuming that got botched somehow on the payment side.
Ah! That makes sense. Best of luck! I hope it all gets worked out for you today! Nobody wants this on their brain for the weekend!

Sayhello

We’ve done both the Keys to the Kingdom tour and the VIP tour at walt disney world, and as you know they are different things. But what really makes them special is that they allow you to do things *that you can’t do on your own.* I hope ABD (and this being our first ABD) would do the same.
They definitely will!

Sayhello

Wow i'm really worried reading your messages. My main objective with this trip is to visit the Studios, archves and imagineering. I hope it can be sorted out soon enough for all of us.
I read yesterday that there are a lot of Imagineers opposing to move to Florida and that they wrote an open letter to Bob Chapek, hopefully that would be avoided too.
Needless to say that the lack of communication for the trips is jawdropping and letting the days pass making the refund impossible makes ABD look like a money maker more than an experience maker.

I guess the April 17th is the first trip since COVID, right? or have there been any other Southern California trips after COVID?

Do you know what would happen with "fast passes" included with the tickets now that Genie+ is available?

(Scheduled for April 10th) I feel as if I have called the Vacationistas at least twice a week for the last month trying to finalize basic details. My family and I are flying into LAX to spend a couple of days at UH and then going DCL right after... First of all, I had no idea that there was a rumor or possibility that this ABD could have been cancelled so I am happy that I wasn't a part of the previous threads.
My initial calls to ABD were to get an idea of what time we were meeting on the first day, how much free time we received, if anything was going to be switched out for the fireworks shows, and most importantly what they were doing with the FASTPASS situation.... ALL of the information floating around described free FastPasses loaded to our tickets - a system that doesn't exist anymore.
Here is information I have gathered thus far: 1. I received my 2 boxes with two different bags, luggage tags, lanyards for family and pins 3/22/22. I called 3/23/22 because there was a postcard that said we need to download the itinerary via link sent to my email. (I saw in previous vlogs that guests received this in their box with the bags - for planning) I hadn't yet received the link and was told I would get it within the next couple of days. 3/24/22 I received an email with "Important Information" regarding changes to the itinerary. I wasn't happy about many of the changes but wasn't going to let it phase me too much.
2. I was bummed about the lack of fireworks shows but decided to enjoy the fireworks on the Wonder.
3. I called this morning to get an idea of how the free time will be spent: free time that I was hoping to enjoy riding the attractions with minimal wait time.... the Vacationista basically told me that they haven't figured it out yet since the tour is just now restarting. I asked if the ABD for April 10th was the first and she said no. I asked if I can call back around the 8th to get an update regarding the Genie+/LL and she said that they will not have any details that quickly.... I then asked if we will need to purchase Genie+ for everyone in my family... she said probably. This part sucks. We are literally getting to GCR around 11am to eat and enjoy the parks before we meet as a group for dinner. FastPass and Fireworks were a big deal to me personally.... Day 2 was a highlight as well but was going to be hit or miss with our kids. Is the carousel and Tam O'Shanter off the itinerary as well?
My family has enjoyed the Private VIP Tour 3 times at WDW and the Classic VIP Tour once so I was expecting the VIP touch but in a group atmosphere like the Classic VIP Tour... now I don't know what to expect since all expectations have not been met.

(Scheduled for April 10th) I feel as if I have called the Vacationistas at least twice a week for the last month trying to finalize basic details. My family and I are flying into LAX to spend a couple of days at UH and then going DCL right after... First of all, I had no idea that there was a rumor or possibility that this ABD could have been cancelled so I am happy that I wasn't a part of the previous threads.
My initial calls to ABD were to get an idea of what time we were meeting on the first day, how much free time we received, if anything was going to be switched out for the fireworks shows, and most importantly what they were doing with the FASTPASS situation.... ALL of the information floating around described free FastPasses loaded to our tickets - a system that doesn't exist anymore.
Here is information I have gathered thus far: 1. I received my 2 boxes with two different bags, luggage tags, lanyards for family and pins 3/22/22. I called 3/23/22 because there was a postcard that said we need to download the itinerary via link sent to my email. (I saw in previous vlogs that guests received this in their box with the bags - for planning) I hadn't yet received the link and was told I would get it within the next couple of days. 3/24/22 I received an email with "Important Information" regarding changes to the itinerary. I wasn't happy about many of the changes but wasn't going to let it phase me too much.
2. I was bummed about the lack of fireworks shows but decided to enjoy the fireworks on the Wonder.
3. I called this morning to get an idea of how the free time will be spent: free time that I was hoping to enjoy riding the attractions with minimal wait time.... the Vacationista basically told me that they haven't figured it out yet since the tour is just now restarting. I asked if the ABD for April 10th was the first and she said no. I asked if I can call back around the 8th to get an update regarding the Genie+/LL and she said that they will not have any details that quickly.... I then asked if we will need to purchase Genie+ for everyone in my family... she said probably. This part sucks. We are literally getting to GCR around 11am to eat and enjoy the parks before we meet as a group for dinner. FastPass and Fireworks were a big deal to me personally.... Day 2 was a highlight as well but was going to be hit or miss with our kids. Is the carousel and Tam O'Shanter off the itinerary as well?
My family has enjoyed the Private VIP Tour 3 times at WDW and the Classic VIP Tour once so I was expecting the VIP touch but in a group atmosphere like the Classic VIP Tour... now I don't know what to expect since all expectations have not been met.
Here's what we heard from AbD about this tour:

Day 1

At Disneyland Resort, enjoy a 3-night stay at Disney’s Grand California Hotel & Spa. This beautiful hotel offers premium accommodations, Craftsman-style elegance, and, of course, impeccable Disney service – all within walking distance of both Disneyland Park, Disney California Adventure, and the Downtown Disney District.

Following your welcome to Disneyland dinner, we’ll enjoy priority entrance into Disneyland Park and a group experience before having the evening on your own. The group experience will be a walking tour with a Walt Disney Imagineering Cast Member in Disneyland Park where we’ll step into the heart of storytelling with an insider’s prospective on the park.

All Guests receive a 4-Day Disneyland Resort Park Hopper ticket that begins on Day 1 of your adventure and expires at the end of Day 4. This ticket is not upgradeable or transferable.

While at Disneyland Resort, attractions and entertainment are subject to change due to closure. When available, VIP viewing will be provided for entertainment.

Day 2

On Day 2, our group will now visit the Academy Museum of Motion Pictures. You’ll be able to enjoy a two hour self-guided tour through the largest museum in the United States devoted to the arts, sciences, and artists of moviemaking. While at the museum, we’ll enjoy lunch at Fanny’s Café. Additional information about Academy Museum of Motion Pictures can be found here: https://www.academymuseum.org

We will then travel by motor coach to Walt Disney Studios and the Walt Disney Archives. Following this experience, we will visit Mickey’s of Glendale at the Walt Disney Imagineering Campus in Glendale. A Walt Disney Imagineering Cast Member will now join us on Day 1 for a guided walking tour in Disneyland Park.

Day 3

Our privately guided tour of Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure Park will go behind the magic and discover the secrets of Disneyland Resort as you see areas that are off-limits to other Guests and learn about Walt Disney and his dream. Our behind-the-scenes adventure will include a special look at Radiator Springs Racers at Disney California Adventure Park.

All other activities are scheduled to take place as planned. Your Adventure Guide will keep you up to date on any changes to the information or itinerary activities while on your trip.

Here's what we heard from AbD about this tour:

Yeap, thats what I printed out to add to the Advertised Itinerary that I also printed out. It's the lack of communication regarding the FastPass/Genie+/LL that is bothering me. I would love to know how they will be handling this but after reading all of the threads I am assuming that the "guided walking tour the evening of Day 1" will be sorta equivalent to a VIP tour?

The lack of communication about this trip has been shocking. We are also coming in a few days early (hence the comment about this costing thousands of dollars above and beyond the trip cost). AbD won't tell us when/where to meet the guides. We don't know how to get our tickets. We cannot make park reservations without a ticket for Sunday, and they won't help with that either. No answer on Genie+/ILL, so we're assuming that it will have to be purchased for Sunday.

I didn't think that the carousel was included in the Escape version (what is running on the 10th), but I could be mistaken. No word about the other restaurant but it was never particularly important to us.

We have also done private VIP tours at both DL and WDW. A group tour will be totally different because you have no input into what you ride, how many times you ride, etc. It's faster access but that's about all you can say about it. There's a reason why people book private if they can.

At this point the only 2 things that they have committed to that are "special" are access to Walt's apartment and behind the scenes at Radiator Springs Racers. The tour report also said they went behind the scenes at Soarin. That might be interesting. Everything else is a poor substitute for or pale imitation of what was promised. Seeing the outside of a building? A self-guided tour of a museum we aren't interested in? An abbreviated visit with an imagineer squeezed between dinner and "on your own time?"

Hopefully Disney will find some way to salvage the trip but based on everything we have seen so far it doesn't seem that promising.

"Guided walking tour" is after dinner and before on your own time. It's probably 1-2 hours, max, when everyone will want to be able to talk to the imagineer. We have done Private VIP tours with anywhere from 5-10 people, and even when the group is small it's hard to always get the guide's attention because everyone wants time with him (we LOVE our guide). How much attention do you really think you'll get in a shorter tour which is at capacity?

I have been reading this thread, and we are all in the same boat. I am going on the May 29 tour. I already had the pleasure of seeing it discounted a couple of weeks ago. (Insert sarcastic rolling of eyes). Honestly, I think it would be absolutely pathetic if they do not give us genie plus for this trip. It is a drop in the hat for them. The special events and meals are nice but honestly for a theme park person like myself who usually has a plan and is there at park opening to avoid lines, without Genie plus this is going to be a nightmare. I have never been to Disneyland. I also have not been to any of the parks since they did away with the fast pass. I am really hoping they come through. I find it hard to believe that they will not, but I guess we will just have to see.

Last edited:
I have been reading this thread, and we are all in the same boat. I am going on the May 29 tour. I already had the pleasure of seeing it discounted a couple of weeks ago. (Insert sarcastic rolling of eyes). Honestly, I think it would be absolutely pathetic if they do not give us genie plus for this trip. It is a drop in the hat for them and would make up for a lot of these other changes. The special events and meals are nice but honestly for a theme park person like myself who usually has a plan and is there at park opening to avoid lines, without Genie plus this is going to be a nightmare. I have never been to Disneyland. I also have not been to any of the parks since they did away with the fast pass. I am really hoping they come through. I find it hard to believe that they will not, but I guess we will just have to see.
We did WDW in January with genie+. We missed the certainty of FP but it was manageable because the parks weren’t that crowded. I have a friend who was just in WDW last week. HS was so crowded that they barely got 2 reservations for headliners. It was better than nothing but still waited in a lot of lines.

Hopefully DL has more good rides so there will be Genie+ spots available later.

The other big difference is that in CA you have to be in the park to book the first one, unlike in WDW. So if you aren’t early it’s hard to ensure you will get your top choice(s).

If I ran the tour I would give the equivalent of anytime return passes so you don’t need to worry about having reservation availability. They should also absolutely be included for all park days given how expensive the tour is.

I have been reading this thread, and we are all in the same boat. I am going on the May 29 tour. I already had the pleasure of seeing it discounted a couple of weeks ago. (Insert sarcastic rolling of eyes). Honestly, I think it would be absolutely pathetic if they do not give us genie plus for this trip. It is a drop in the hat for them and would make up for a lot of these other changes. The special events and meals are nice but honestly for a theme park person like myself who usually has a plan and is there at park opening to avoid lines, without Genie plus this is going to be a nightmare. I have never been to Disneyland. I also have not been to any of the parks since they did away with the fast pass. I am really hoping they come through. I find it hard to believe that they will not, but I guess we will just have to see.
I think the issue is probably figuring out how it's going to work for you. You aren't going to know exactly when your on your own time is, so how would you book Lightning Lanes or Individual Lightning Lanes? The days on the ABD start pretty early, and except for the last day, you aren't really going to know when your free time is. Giving folks Fastpasses that were good at any time throughout the day worked much more easily. We don't know if Genie+ can handle that yet. I'm sure ABD will figure something out, but it's not their tech, it's Disneyland's, and they can't give you a feature that might not exist yet.

Sayhello

I think the issue is probably figuring out how it's going to work for you. You aren't going to know exactly when your on your own time is, so how would you book Lightning Lanes or Individual Lightning Lanes? The days on the ABD start pretty early, and except for the last day, you aren't really going to know when your free time is. Giving folks Fastpasses that were good at any time throughout the day worked much more easily. We don't know if Genie+ can handle that yet. I'm sure ABD will figure something out, but it's not their tech, it's Disneyland's, and they can't give you a feature that might not exist yet.

Sayhello
That technology exists - it’s what happens when you have a genie+ reservation and the ride goes down. For ILL they can give some kind of physical pass if necessary.

This isn’t rocket science.

Sayhello
Sayhello - you have been unfailingly optimistic about how AbD will handle things. I’m hoping that you are correct and at the same time curious what you are basing this on. Have you had other experiences change on you? Very positive experiences with AbD in the past? Faith, hope, and trust? Or are you just a very positive person?

I need to try to emulate your attitude more.

Sayhello - you have been unfailingly optimistic about how AbD will handle things. I’m hoping that you are correct and at the same time curious what you are basing this on. Have you had other experiences change on you? Very positive experiences with AbD in the past? Faith, hope, and trust? Or are you just a very positive person?

I’m scheduled for an April short escape and this will be my first ABD trip. Is this going to be the trip I signed up for? Not exactly. However, the way I look at it, this is the trip I’m getting and I’m glad to have at least some of the special elements I was expecting and more than I would have been able to do on my own.

I do believe that the Guides will do everything possible to give us a unique experience. Going in with a positive attitude will certainly help in getting the most out of it. There’s little point in speculating what we will/won’t get. Especially when it seems Disney is also still figuring things out as they restart these tours after 2 years in a very different environment since they last ran them. We’ll just need to wait and see.

I get feeling disappointed. I’m just determined to make the most of it.

I’m scheduled for an April short escape and this will be my first ABD trip. Is this going to be the trip I signed up for? Not exactly. However, the way I look at it, this is the trip I’m getting and I’m glad to have at least some of the special elements I was expecting and more than I would have been able to do on my own.

I do believe that the Guides will do everything possible to give us a unique experience. Going in with a positive attitude will certainly help in getting the most out of it. There’s little point in speculating what we will/won’t get. Especially when it seems Disney is also still figuring things out as they restart these tours after 2 years in a very different environment since they last ran them. We’ll just need to wait and see.

I get feeling disappointed. I’m just determined to make the most of it.
I need to try to be more like Disdreamer9 as well.

It's a mix of things. I have had many amazing experiences on ABD. Not everything has been sunshine and roses, but I have consistently had an amazing time when I traveled with ABD.

But first and foremost is knowing that the Adventure Guides are the best of the best, and will do everything possible in their power to make your experience as Magical and special as it can be. There are, of course, limits to their power, but if it can be done, they'll do their very best to get it done. And their best is very good. That's my biggest source of optimism, especially with the Disneyland trips, where they have a bit more connections and things available to them, especially in the Parks.

I have had times on trips where things just didn't work out - something was closed that shouldn't be, weather was horrid, etc, and the Adventure Guides really worked hard to come up with wonderful options that weren't what we were expecting, but were fun and enjoyable. I could come up with more, but off the top of my head are 1) during our Med cruise add-on, there was an activity at, I believe, a glass-blowing shop that turned out to be closed, and before we even knew it, they decided to take us to the little Medieval town of Eze, which was amazing and charming to walk and climb, and paid the entrance for those who wanted to climb all the way up to the observation area at the top. 2) There was also a time on the Scotland trip where it started raining torrentially, with no end in sight, during our visit to Rothiemurchus. The Guides presented us with a few options they'd already worked out for the remainder of the afternoon, and since it was an adults-only trip, the winner ended up being going to this warm and inviting pub they'd found, with a roaring fire, and having drinks (on the Mouse). It was a great alternative. And 3) it can even be little things, like when we had some logistics troubles with Shanghai Disneyland, the Guides bought us 1st Anniversary Mickey Ears as a way of "apologizing" (and it was totally not their fault, and they were wonderful, and an apology wasn't really needed, but it was nice).

Communication can seriously suck with the high ups at ABD. I will readily admit that. I've been less than happy with a lot of the way things have been handled by them. But when it comes to the actual way the trips are run by the Adventure Guides, there's just nothing better.

Maybe I have rose-colored glasses on. It's totally possible. But I also have faith in the Adventure Guides that they will do everything possible to make your trip special. I truly, sincerely believe that.

Sayhello

Hi friends, I think the biggest frustration here comes in the lack of knowledge and information from ABD and the vacationistas. Everytime i have called they never know the answer to any questions. Also, one gal here reported that she talked to an ABD manager on the phone and mentioned that there is a D23 event inside Disney studios on April 9th. If anyone can buy a ticket to go inside the studios, why can’t our tour groups go inside. She reported that the manger had no knowledge of this event happening. This fact blows my mind and demonstrates the lack of communication within the company. Maybe it is due to short staffing but who knows. I do think we all need to have a little bit of extra patience and kindness as we navigate ABD restarting this trip. I am pretty confident that it will be better than we all expect at this point. Try not to let your experiences and frustrations dealing with the ABD staff up to this point affect what I believe will be a great trip. Hopefully my confidence in Disney to provide a great experience is not false confidence. It’s based on my own personal past experiences at the parks (although this will be my first with ABD.)

As far as the issue with genie plus, again, please take whatever the vacationistas tell you with a grain of salt. They are obviously not given proper information, and some may be brand new at this point. Maybe all details have not been ironed out yet. I have seen others (not on a tour but regular park guest) report that they were gifted anytime use lightening lane passes from a cast member…so the technology is definitely available. I must say that if we do indeed need to purchase our own genie plus and LL on top of this trip cost, I will be highly disappointed. But I honestly just can’t see that happening.

Happy trip prep and planning to you all! I personally am excited to actually get to go on this trip, and have this experience that has been shut down for two years. It may not be the exact trip that I booked almost a year ago, but I have confidence that it’s going to be just as amazing! And from hear on out, I am not calling ABD to ask any questions that they just never have a proper answer to and just leads me to get upset and frustrated.

It's a mix of things. I have had many amazing experiences on ABD. Not everything has been sunshine and roses, but I have consistently had an amazing time when I traveled with ABD.

But first and foremost is knowing that the Adventure Guides are the best of the best, and will do everything possible in their power to make your experience as Magical and special as it can be. There are, of course, limits to their power, but if it can be done, they'll do their very best to get it done. And their best is very good. That's my biggest source of optimism, especially with the Disneyland trips, where they have a bit more connections and things available to them, especially in the Parks.

I have had times on trips where things just didn't work out - something was closed that shouldn't be, weather was horrid, etc, and the Adventure Guides really worked hard to come up with wonderful options that weren't what we were expecting, but were fun and enjoyable. I could come up with more, but off the top of my head are 1) during our Med cruise add-on, there was an activity at, I believe, a glass-blowing shop that turned out to be closed, and before we even knew it, they decided to take us to the little Medieval town of Eze, which was amazing and charming to walk and climb, and paid the entrance for those who wanted to climb all the way up to the observation area at the top. 2) There was also a time on the Scotland trip where it started raining torrentially, with no end in sight, during our visit to Rothiemurchus. The Guides presented us with a few options they'd already worked out for the remainder of the afternoon, and since it was an adults-only trip, the winner ended up being going to this warm and inviting pub they'd found, with a roaring fire, and having drinks (on the Mouse). It was a great alternative. And 3) it can even be little things, like when we had some logistics troubles with Shanghai Disneyland, the Guides bought us 1st Anniversary Mickey Ears as a way of "apologizing" (and it was totally not their fault, and they were wonderful, and an apology wasn't really needed, but it was nice).

Communication can seriously suck with the high ups at ABD. I will readily admit that. I've been less than happy with a lot of the way things have been handled by them. But when it comes to the actual way the trips are run by the Adventure Guides, there's just nothing better.

Maybe I have rose-colored glasses on. It's totally possible. But I also have faith in the Adventure Guides that they will do everything possible to make your trip special. I truly, sincerely believe that.

Sayhello

Thank you for sharing your positive experiences!

there is a D23 event inside Disney studios on April 9th. If anyone can buy a ticket to go inside the studios, why can’t our tour groups go inside.
The D23 event is a movie screening, not full access to inside multiple other buildings as happens with a studios tour. The only building we will be in is the movie theatre, with high ceilings that seats approx 400 people. And, while I won’t know for sure until I get there, I suspect they may not be selling out the theatre as they’ve done for past D23 screening events. Usually there is only one screening; this time there is two, one morning and one afternoon.
There will also be time in the studio store, which is small and they say attendance inside will be limited so expect a line, both typical for a D23 Event on the lot.

This D23 event is nothing like what one experiences on a studio tour. We don’t even make it to Legends Plaza which is all outdoors.

The D23 event is a movie screening, not full access to inside multiple other buildings as happens with a studios tour. The only building we will be in is the movie theatre, with high ceilings that seats approx 400 people. And, while I won’t know for sure until I get there, I suspect they may not be selling out the theatre as they’ve done for past D23 screening events. Usually there is only one screening; this time there is two, one morning and one afternoon.
There will also be time in the studio store, which is small and they say attendance inside will be limited so expect a line, both typical for a D23 Event on the lot.

This D23 event is nothing like what one experiences on a studio tour. We don’t even make it to Legends Plaza which is all outdoors.
Thank you for clarifying! That makes sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter