Sorry for asking so many questions - newbie

tinkerbell1991

DIS Veteran
Hi,

Me and my husband never been on a Disney cruise before and have a few questions we're hoping can be answered ☺️

The plan is to fly from the UK (MAN) to Rome and stay in an airport hotel, the day after to then board the Disney Dream for a 7 night Mediterranean cruise, dock back into Civitavecchia port then stay in Rome centre for 3 days before flying back to the UK (MAN).

I realise there are 2 main airports in Rome - is there one (if either) that the Disney shuttle transfer leaves from and goes to Civitavecchia port? If so, how much is this per person and how do you book it?

If there isn't a Disney shuttle from the airport, does anyone have recommendations for transfers or if there's even a train that goes to Civitavecchia train station?

Once the cruise has ended and we dock back into the port, how do we get from Civitavecchia to Rome city centre with 2 suitcases and 2 hand luggage cases?

Finally, what would you recommend how we get to the airport (either one) from the city centre?

I PROMISE I've tried to look this up online for about the past hour and I'm just reading such conflicting things and getting really confused so hoping one of you lovely people can help.

Hi,

Me and my husband never been on a Disney cruise before and have a few questions we're hoping can be answered ☺️

The plan is to fly from the UK (MAN) to Rome and stay in an airport hotel, the day after to then board the Disney Dream for a 7 night Mediterranean cruise, dock back into Civitavecchia port then stay in Rome centre for 3 days before flying back to the UK (MAN).

I realise there are 2 main airports in Rome - is there one (if either) that the Disney shuttle transfer leaves from and goes to Civitavecchia port? If so, how much is this per person and how do you book it?

If there isn't a Disney shuttle from the airport, does anyone have recommendations for transfers or if there's even a train that goes to Civitavecchia train station?

Once the cruise has ended and we dock back into the port, how do we get from Civitavecchia to Rome city centre with 2 suitcases and 2 hand luggage cases?

Finally, what would you recommend how we get to the airport (either one) from the city centre?

I PROMISE I've tried to look this up online for about the past hour and I'm just reading such conflicting things and getting really confused so hoping one of you lovely people can help.

FCO is the main airport for the Civitavecchia port, and the one that I believe Disney shuttles from. I believe they will pick up at that Hilton at FCO, but just call Disney to arrange it and confirm.

For about 150 Euros each direction, you can use https://www.romeinlimo.com/ and have a private driver. It's money well spent in my opinion, because it's just more convenient and quick. They were fantastic and on time when we used them both directions, and also to get into our hotel in Rome from the airport when we arrived.

There is a train to the port, but I don't know how you catch it from the airport. Someone else will need to chime in. Many people in our FB group used it and it worked just fine, but there is the added risk of a delay or strike and the walk from the station to the ship looked a little long if you have lots of luggage from what I could see.

Enjoy the cruise! It's a great one.

P.S. I have to warn you, the Hilton wasn't up to regular Hilton standards in my opinion, and getting dinner there was a real pain (one restaurant with a very very long wait and we had difficulty getting transportation to anywhere decent that night, so we ended up eating junk food for dinner). It's perfectly fine for one night, but was an odd hotel with elevators that nearly crushed people when closing prematurely.

One other tip - look at private tours over Disney excursions. Disney came up short on the qualify of excursions on this cruise and all of our private tours were much better, and often similar in price. Just look for reputable companies with good reviews. I am happy to share the companies we used if you have particular ports in mind and they were the same as ours.

Last edited:
I don’t know if you’ve watched either Adam Hattan or Jen Lefforge before on YouTube but they did a Disney cruise together from Civitavecchia, they stayed in the Hilton Airport hotel so they could walk back and do the DCL transfer from the airport in the morning, might be worth a watch (they have both done a vlog). If you go to the transportation section https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/guest-services/ground-transportation/
it shows for this year the DCL bus from Leonardo Da Vinci Airport is $55 per person one way. You need to phone up and book for transportation and onboard gifts (just FYI) if you are in the UK, you can’t do it online. I just rang them up and they quoted me in £s and I paid there and then.

I looked at flights from Manchester myself for a half term cruise next year and I decided to do a Barcelona one instead because the only reasonable flights were Ryanair and they use an airport right the other side of Rome as you’ve probably seen. I’m short of time for half term though so not trying to put you off, that was just the constraints I had. We have done a Disney Med cruise before and absolutely loved it - very exciting!

FCO is the main airport for the Civitavecchia port, and the one that I believe Disney shuttles from. I believe they will pick up at that Hilton at FCO, but just call Disney to arrange it and confirm.

For about 150 Euros each direction, you can use https://www.romeinlimo.com/ and have a private driver. It's money well spent in my opinion, because it's just more convenient and quick. They were fantastic and on time when we used them both directions, and also to get into our hotel in Rome from the airport when we arrived.

There is a train to the port, but I don't know how you catch it from the airport. Someone else will need to chime in. Many people in our FB group used it and it worked just fine, but there is the added risk of a delay or strike and the walk from the station to the ship looked a little long if you have lots of luggage from what I could see.

Enjoy the cruise! It's a great one.

P.S. I have to warn you, the Hilton wasn't up to regular Hilton standards in my opinion, and getting dinner there was a real pain (one restaurant with a very very long wait and we had difficulty getting transportation to anywhere decent that night, so we ended up eating junk food for dinner). It's perfectly fine for one night, but was an odd hotel with elevators that nearly crushed people when closing prematurely.

One other tip - look at private tours over Disney excursions. Disney came up short on the qualify of excursions on this cruise and all of our private tours were much better, and often similar in price. Just look for reputable companies with good reviews. I am happy to share the companies we used if you have particular ports in mind and they were the same as ours.

That's great to know about which airport it is that the shuttle leave from so thank you.

Since having a second attempt at looking again today into transfers, romeinlimo always seems well recommended so I think we're leaning towards this instead of the Disney shuttle. As we're going to need a way to get to Rome center later in the holiday, I think it makes sense to use them both times (from the airport to the port then the port to Rome hotel - probably just for ease, to get back to the airport too at the end of the trip).

I'm actually wondering whether to stay in Civitavecchia when we first land then for peace of mind, we're already in the area. Plus, the Hilton sounds horrible - sorry you had such a bad experience.

Thanks so much for the link to your tips from your cruise, I think most ports are simular to the ones you visited but we'll also have Pompeii. I think it's the scaremongering (not saying it's right, not saying it's wrong) about if you get delayed and aren't using a Disney excursion then you may not get back on the ship so that's in the back of my mind with private ones but will definitely check out your post so thanks ☺️

I don’t know if you’ve watched either Adam Hattan or Jen Lefforge before on YouTube but they did a Disney cruise together from Civitavecchia, they stayed in the Hilton Airport hotel so they could walk back and do the DCL transfer from the airport in the morning, might be worth a watch (they have both done a vlog). If you go to the transportation section https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/guest-services/ground-transportation/
it shows for this year the DCL bus from Leonardo Da Vinci Airport is $55 per person one way. You need to phone up and book for transportation and onboard gifts (just FYI) if you are in the UK, you can’t do it online. I just rang them up and they quoted me in £s and I paid there and then.

I looked at flights from Manchester myself for a half term cruise next year and I decided to do a Barcelona one instead because the only reasonable flights were Ryanair and they use an airport right the other side of Rome as you’ve probably seen. I’m short of time for half term though so not trying to put you off, that was just the constraints I had. We have done a Disney Med cruise before and absolutely loved it - very exciting!
I'll definitely check Adam and Jen out, thank you. Also that's good to know about needing to ring to book the shuttle so will keep that in mind.

That's actually a really interesting point about airport locations from flights in Manchester so will need to look into that myself and we may do the Barcelona one actually if it'll cause too much of an issue - I appreciate that tip so thank you ☺️

That's great to know about which airport it is that the shuttle leave from so thank you.

Since having a second attempt at looking again today into transfers, romeinlimo always seems well recommended so I think we're leaning towards this instead of the Disney shuttle. As we're going to need a way to get to Rome center later in the holiday, I think it makes sense to use them both times (from the airport to the port then the port to Rome hotel - probably just for ease, to get back to the airport too at the end of the trip).

I'm actually wondering whether to stay in Civitavecchia when we first land then for peace of mind, we're already in the area. Plus, the Hilton sounds horrible - sorry you had such a bad experience.

Thanks so much for the link to your tips from your cruise, I think most ports are simular to the ones you visited but we'll also have Pompeii. I think it's the scaremongering (not saying it's right, not saying it's wrong) about if you get delayed and aren't using a Disney excursion then you may not get back on the ship so that's in the back of my mind with private ones but will definitely check out your post so thanks ☺️

Don't get me wrong - I would stay at the Hilton again for convenience if needed. I've stayed at worse hotels, it was just strange for a Hilton.

The drive out to the port wasn't bad - mostly open road in the countryside, and didn't take long. There was very little traffic the entire way. We made it to our 10:45 boarding time without any issue (boarding time will be assigned at check-in, in case you weren't aware). The port city itself looked rather small and you will want to consider how you will get from your hotel to the ship if you stay at the city. You can probably walk, but when our driver took us in, he had to take the loop shown on the below map and I saw lots of people walking it with luggage. It didn't look like anyone could take a more direct route into the port because it seemed like it was all fenced off. So it might actually be easier to be picked up at the hotel the morning of, or take the shuttle, so you can be dropped off right at the ship. They are able to go right up to the cruise terminal, which is nice. Hopefully others who have spent the night at Civitavecchia can jump in and let you know if I am wrong about the walk from the city to the actual ship terminal.

1692999214193.png

Don't get me wrong - I would stay at the Hilton again for convenience if needed. I've stayed at worse hotels, it was just strange for a Hilton.

The drive out to the port wasn't bad - mostly open road in the countryside, and didn't take long. There was very little traffic the entire way. We made it to our 10:45 boarding time without any issue (boarding time will be assigned at check-in, in case you weren't aware). The port city itself looked rather small and you will want to consider how you will get from your hotel to the ship if you stay at the city. You can probably walk, but when our driver took us in, he had to take the loop shown on the below map and I saw lots of people walking it with luggage. It didn't look like anyone could take a more direct route into the port because it seemed like it was all fenced off. So it might actually be easier to be picked up at the hotel the morning of, or take the shuttle, so you can be dropped off right at the ship. They are able to go right up to the cruise terminal, which is nice. Hopefully others who have spent the night at Civitavecchia can jump in and let you know if I am wrong about the walk from the city to the actual ship terminal.

View attachment 787994
I didn't know about the boarding time assigned at check in so that's another great tip to add to my ever growing list 😉 thank you.

Yes that doesn't look a very appealing walk does it with luggage, I'll certainly look into another method to getting to the port instead of by foot - I'm be shattered before I even get on this ship! 🥵

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter