"Sometimes the right path is not the easiest one." - 1st Training Journal (comments welcome!)

Tuesday, February 1, 2022
Got out of work too late to get to the park, so I did another 30 min ride on the Peloton. Getting very discouraged but trying to not let things out of my control bring me down…

I totally get that feeling when it feels like I'm "failing" my training plan to not be able to get my workout in.

Remind yourself of these things:
You just ran a MARATHON so you have a GREAT fitness base.
On nights where you can't do what your training plan says, you're still doing something active.

This is a rotten time of year to try to strictly adhere to a schedule with all the crazy storms and low temperatures and when things from the new calendar year start popping up. The fact that you care about missing or changing a workout says something. And means something. You've got this!

I totally get that feeling when it feels like I'm "failing" my training plan to not be able to get my workout in.

Remind yourself of these things:
You just ran a MARATHON so you have a GREAT fitness base.
On nights where you can't do what your training plan says, you're still doing something active.

This is a rotten time of year to try to strictly adhere to a schedule with all the crazy storms and low temperatures and when things from the new calendar year start popping up. The fact that you care about missing or changing a workout says something. And means something. You've got this!
Thank you, I really needed this! :thanks:

Wednesday, February 2, 2022
I got out of work a little earlier today and got to the park in time. I drove around a bit until I found a parking lot that was open. About half of the lot was still full of snow, so I ran around the open parts for a half hour run. Not ideal, but something is always better than nothing!

START:
Weather Conditions: Partly Cloudy
Temp + Dew Point: 42 + 37 = 79
Feels Like: 39
Wind: ESE 5 mph
Humidity: 84%
UV Index: 0
Running Conditions Index: 5

END:
Weather Conditions: Partly Cloudy
Temp + Dew Point: 42 + 37 = 79
Feels Like: 38
Wind: SE 5 mph
Humidity: 84%
Running Conditions Index: 5

Outdoor Run:
(Nike Run Club)
Focus:
Easy/LR: 30 min @ 80/30 @ 13:45/17:30 paces (Garmin alerts = 1:15)
Distance: 2.10 mi
Total Time: 0:30:03
Avg. Pace: 14'17"/mi
Splits:
1 =
14'24"
2 = 13'58"
0.10 = 16'11"

(Garmin)
Focus: Marathon Training - Easy/LR: 30 min @ 80/30 @ 13:45/17:30 paces (Garmin alerts = 1:15)
Distance: 2.23 mi
Total Time: 0:30:02
Avg. Pace: 13'29"/mi
Splits:
1 =
13'12"
2 = 13'49"
3 = 13'12"

Saturday, February 5, 2022
After not being able to get much running in this week, I was determined to finish the week semi-strong with my weekend runs. The snow is finally melting away so opportunities are much greater. This morning I was experiencing some chest pains, which had me a bit concerned because I wasn't sure if it was asthma or soreness from the different Peloton classes I had taken this week. To play it safe, I went to the park for a 30 minute easy run, and stayed near the parking lots so I could be seen if something happened. I figured if things got worse I could easily cut it short, but I ended up feeling fine.

START:
Weather Conditions: Mostly Cloudy/Wind
Temp + Dew Point: 28 + 12 = 40
Feels Like: 14
Wind: NW 20 mph
Humidity: 51%
UV Index: 1
Running Conditions Index: 1

END:
Weather Conditions: Mostly Cloudy/Wind
Temp + Dew Point: 27 + 11 = 38
Wind: NW 20 mph
Humidity: 49%

5 min pre-run warm up outdoors

Outdoor Walk:

Focus: Warm up
Distance: 0.25 mi
Total Time: 0:04:34
Avg. Pace: 17'50"/mi

Outdoor Run:
(Nike Run Club)
Focus:
Easy/LR: 30 min (Garmin alerts = 1:15)
Distance: 2.10 mi
Total Time: 0:30:13
Avg. Pace: 14'21"/mi
Splits:
1 =
14'30"
2 = 14'07"
0.10 = 15'05"

(Garmin)
Focus: Easy/LR: 30 min (Garmin alerts = 1:15)
Distance: 2.14 mi
Total Time: 0:30:13
Avg. Pace: 14'07"/mi
Splits:
1 =
14'26"
2 = 13'55"
3 = 13'27"

Outdoor Walk:
Focus: Cool down
Total Time: 0:04:32
Avg. Pace: 17'52"/mi

5 min post-run stretch outdoors

The hardest part of this run was the wind. I was dressed okay for the weather, but I had to adjust my directions so I wasn't running directly into the wind.

Sunday, February 6, 2022
I felt better this morning, so I decided to do a 45 minute run today. As I got started I decided to push my pace for the first time post-marathon. Nothing crazy, just more than my recent very easy runs. It was a refreshing (actual) change of pace. I tried to slow down my pace a little in the last 15 minutes.

START:
Weather Conditions: Fair
Temp + Dew Point: 23 + 7 = 30
Wind: E 7 mph
Humidity: 50%
Running Conditions Index: 3

END:
Temp + Dew Point: 25 + 9 = 34
Feels Like: 16
Wind: ESE 7 mph
Humidity: 51%
UV Index: 2

Outdoor Walk:

Total Time: 0:04:42
Avg. Pace: 18'25"/mi

Outdoor Run:
(Nike Run Club)
Focus:
Distance: 3.36 mi
Total Time: 0:45:12
Avg. Pace: 13'26"/mi
Splits:
1 =
13'47"
2 = 13'05"
3 = 13'20"
0.36 = 13'40"

(Garmin)
Distance: 3.45 mi
Total Time: 0:45:13
Avg. Pace: 13'05"/mi
Splits:
1 =
13'25"
2 = 12'31"
3 = 13'41"
4 = 13'19"

Outdoor Walk:
Total Time: 0:04:46
Avg. Pace: 19'02"/mi

In 3 weeks I'll be running Princess Weekend and I kind of feel all over the place in terms of running. I'm not looking for any PRs and I'm just looking forward to enjoying each race, but I still want to know that I'm prepared to run each race safely.

Up early so I can finally get a training journal update in...

ETA: Finally updating my training journals (my actual journal and this one) and realized I skipped a run here (2/8/22). Of course it was almost a month ago so I don't remember the specifics, but here are the stats:
Tuesday, February 8, 2022
This was a late afternoon run after work at a local park. I remember being there and just trying to get some miles in before they closed.

START:
Weather Conditions: Mostly Cloudy
Temp + Dew Point: 38 + 25 = 63
Feels Like: 29
Wind: WNW 17 mph
Humidity: 59%

Outdoor Walk:
Total Time: 0:04:43
Avg. Pace: 18'35"/mi

Outdoor Run:
(Nike Run Club)
Focus:
Distance: 2.35 mi
Total Time: 0:30:10
Avg. Pace: 12'49"/mi
Splits:
1 =
12'51"
2 = 12'37"
0.35 = 13'17"

(Garmin)
Distance: 2.33 mi
Total Time: 0:30:11
Avg. Pace: 12'58"/mi
Splits:
1 =
12'56"
2 = 12'41"
3 = 13'56"

Outdoor Walk:
Total Time: 0:04:39
Avg. Pace: 18'27"/mi

Friday, February 11, 2022
This week was a bad week for me. I was in such a bad headspace, and recent events made me decide not to run at the track anymore for safety reasons. This made my stress level worse because that was the only "safe" place I had to run after dark, so now I'm out of luck. I did a late night 30 min peloton ride and 5 min post-ride stretch to have some movement for the day.

Saturday, February 12, 2022
After my poor mood yesterday, I was ready to run today. It was supposed to be beautiful today and cold tomorrow, so I decided to do a slightly longer run today.

START:
Weather Conditions: Sunny
Temp + Dew Point: 59 + 34 = 93
Feels Like: 56
Wind: W 15 mph
Humidity: 39%
UV Index: 3
Running Conditions Index: 8

END:
Temp + Dew Point: 58 + 33 = 91
Feels Like: 55
Wind: W 15 mph
Humidity: 38%
Running Conditions Index: 8

I started today with a gradual uphill incline for a change of pace. It was strange to be running in such warm weather, but I figured it was a little preview of what princess weekend could feel like! I was a little bit overdressed, but the winds made me decide against warmer weather clothes.

Outdoor Walk:
Total Time: 0:05:00
Avg. Pace: 19'38"/mi

Outdoor Run:
(Nike Run Club)
Focus:
Easy/LR: 60 min (Garmin alerts = 1:15)
Distance: 4.25 mi
Total Time: 1:00:01
Avg. Pace: 14'06"/mi
Splits:
1 =
14'39"
2 = 13'41"
3 = 14'01"
4 = 14'10"
0.25 = 13'39"

(Garmin)
Focus: Easy/LR: 60 min (Garmin alerts = 1:15)
Distance: 4.34 mi
Total Time: 1:00:04
Avg. Pace: 13'50"/mi
Splits:
1 =
14'51"
2 = 13'34"
3 = 13'46"
4 = 13'20"
5 = 13'20"

Outdoor Walk:
Total Time: 0:04:38
Avg. Pace: 18'22"/mi

5 min post-run stretch indoors (it was crowded so I decided to stretch at home)

Sunday, February 13, 2022
What a difference a day makes! From warm and sunny, to snow!

START:
Weather Conditions: Snow
Temp + Dew Point: 32 + 28 = 60
Feels Like: 24
Wind: NE 9 mph
Humidity: 86%

END:
Weather Conditions: Snow
Temp + Dew Point: 31 + 28 = 59
Wind: NNE 9 mph
Humidity: 87%

Outdoor Walk:

Total Time: 0:04:30
Avg. Pace: 17'47"/mi

Today's run was challenging because it was extremely slippery in spots, and there were a lot of puddles. Despite trying to watch for them, there were a few times my feet got soaked. Regardless, I was so happy to be running.

Outdoor Run:
(Nike Run Club)
Focus:
Easy/LR: 45 min (Garmin alerts = 1:15)
Distance: 3.15 mi
Total Time: 0:45:01
Avg. Pace: 14'17"/mi
Splits:
1 =
14'32"
2 = 14'02"
3 = 14'09"
0.15 = 15'10"

(Garmin)
Focus: Easy/LR: 45 min (Garmin alerts = 1:15)
Distance: 3.21 mi
Total Time: 0:45:00
Avg. Pace: 14'00"/mi
Splits:
1 =
14'10"
2 = 13'56"
3 = 14'04"
4 = 13'19"

Outdoor Walk:
Total Time: 0:04:38
Avg. Pace: 18'22"/mi

10 min post-run stretch indoors (after changing out of the wet clothes!)

I'm glad I got this run in, because with a lot of late days at work it ended up being my last run to date :oops:

Wednesday, February 16, 2022
30 min Intervals & Arms Peloton ride

Thursday, February 17, 2022
20 min Peloton Lanebreak ride (I tried this new "game" ride today and it was amazing! I worked harder than I expected.)
5 min post-ride stretch

Friday, February 18, 2022
30 min Peloton ride
5 min post-ride stretch

Saturday, February 19, 2022
I was so excited to finally get out for a run today. After taking care of a bunch of responsibilities (last weekend before Princess), I headed out for my run. I had finally cleaned the sneakers I wore for the marathon, and was looking forward to switching my shoes again. I got out there and noticed it was starting to get darker. I knew there was a chance of snow today, but I've run in snow before so I wasn't worried about it. I checked the weather, and then stepped outside for my pre-run warm up.

START:
Weather Conditions: Partly Cloudy/Wind
Temp + Dew Point: 40 + 23 = 63
Feels Like: 31
Wind: W 20 mph
Humidity: 50%

While I was out there starting my warm up, it started to snow. No big deal, until a snow squall started! I cut the warm up short and got back in the car. I waited a little bit but it was still bad so I headed back home. I really need a treadmill...

Later this evening I started a new core strength program to get some exercise in (I wasn't in the mood for another cycling class).

So here we are. I leave for Princess Weekend in a few days and I'm not packed or ready. I'm reminding myself that I never really used a true training plan before the marathon, so I've run this race weekend in the same or worse shape than I am right now multiple times. I know I can finish the races, but I'm a little disappointed that I went from such a great running schedule to basically nothing in a month. Clearly I do better with a firm schedule on the calendar; accountability makes me leave work on time and get it done. @DopeyBadger, any chance you could help me out with a post-Princess training plan to get me to Springtime?

Last edited:
Wow, two posts in one day!

Sunday, February 20, 2022
This morning's post was a good motivator. I purchased a treadmill :jumping1: that'll be delivered Tuesday, and I got out for a run in the beautiful sunshine!

START:
Temp + Dew Point: 32 + 10 = 42
Wind: SSW 12 mph
Humidity: 39%
Running Conditions Index: 4

I decided to change up my routine and do an outdoor Peloton class through the app. I decided on a 45 minute Walk + Run that included:

5 minute walking warm up
3 sets of: 4 minute run, 4 minute walk, 3 minute run, 3 minute walk
1 minute cool down

This was the best thing I could've done. Between the sunshine and the routine change, I was in such better spirits. I took it light since I hadn't run in a week and I was running 4 and 3 minutes (instead of my standard 1:15 run/30 walk), and I felt great the whole time! I decided to still run NRC and my Garmin for data consistency, but I turned off the Garmin alerts because I wanted to try the class as is. I waited until I thought the 5 min walking warmup was done to start NRC and my Garmin (I started them a little too early but it was no big deal). I think running both apps on my watch made my heart rate data disappear, but that wasn't a big deal.

Outdoor Run:
(Peloton)
Focus:
45 min Walk + Run
Distance: 3.77 mi
Avg. Pace: 11'55"/mi
Splits:
1 =
13'14"
2 = 11'32"
3 = 11'05"
0.77 = 11'50"

After the class ended I decided to continue running until I reached 45 min on NRC and Garmin.

(Nike Run Club)
Focus:
45 min Walk + Run
Distance: 3.15 mi
Total Time: 0:45:14
Avg. Pace: 14'20"/mi
Splits:
1 =
14'59"
2 = 14'41"
3 = 13'30"
0.15 = 13'17"

(Garmin)
Focus: 45 min Walk + Run
Distance: 3.20 mi
Total Time: 0:45:02
Avg. Pace: 14'03"/mi
Splits:
1 =
14'42"
2 = 14'16"
3 = 13'28"
4 = 12'42"

I didn't do a walk afterwards because I felt like I had walked so much already, so I just finished and walked back to my car. I decided to do my stretch at home because it was windy.

5 min post-run stretch indoors

I'm very pleased with what I got done today. I really enjoyed the outdoor class. The long walk breaks were different, but not bad. I think the next time I'll take a regular run class and use the Garmin alerts that I normally use. I'm also really looking forward to having the treadmill so I can get my runs in so much more consistently. I'll still do outdoor runs when I can, but it'll be nice to not have to worry about time, safety and weather on my busy days!

Wow, two posts in one day!

Sunday, February 20, 2022
This morning's post was a good motivator. I purchased a treadmill :jumping1: that'll be delivered Tuesday, and I got out for a run in the beautiful sunshine!

I'm also really looking forward to having the treadmill so I can get my runs in so much more consistently. I'll still do outdoor runs when I can, but it'll be nice to not have to worry about time, safety and weather on my busy days!
WOO HOO! I know that for me that running ONLY happens in the winter because I have a treadmill. What one did you get?

WOO HOO! I know that for me that running ONLY happens in the winter because I have a treadmill. What one did you get?
I decided on the Peloton tread. $$$$$$ but I’m already paying for the membership with the bike. I figured I’ll get more use out of the treadmill long term because the classes will keep me coming back when I’m not following a specific training plan or the weather gets nice enough to run outdoors. The classes are a big motivator for me!

Monday, February 21, 2022
START:

Temp + Dew Point: 49 + 27 = 76
Feels Like: 46
Wind: SSE 7 mph
Humidity: 43%
Running Conditions Index: 6

Today would have to be my last outdoor run before Princess. I didn’t want to overdo it so I decided to repeat the Walk/Run class, but use my 1:15/30 intervals.

Outdoor Run:
(Peloton)
Focus: 4
5 min Walk + Run (Garmin alerts = 1:15)
Distance: 3.27 mi
Avg. Pace: 13'43"/mi
Splits:
1 =
14'39"
2 = 13'37"
3 = 13'10"
0.27 = 13'05"

I did the same thing as last time and started Nike and Garmin after the walking warmup, but I was better prepared to start it at the right time. I continued running until I got to 45 min, and then added my cool down walk.

(Nike Run Club)
Focus:
Easy/LR: 45 min (Garmin alerts = 1:15)
Distance: 3.20 mi
Total Time: 0:45:10
Avg. Pace: 14'06"/mi
Splits:
1 =
14'18"
2 = 14'05"
3 = 13'53"
0.20 = 14'15"

(Garmin)
Focus: Easy/LR: 45 min (Garmin alerts = 1:15)
Distance: 3.25 mi
Total Time: 0:45:10
Avg. Pace: 13'53"/mi
Splits:
1 =
14'15"
2 = 13'47"
3 = 13'42"
4 = 13'32"

Outdoor Walk:
Distance: 0.26 mi
Total Time: 0:04:27
Avg. Pace: 17'07"/mi

Tuesday, February 22, 2022
The treadmill arrived this morning and I was very excited to try it out. It’s definitely a different experience compared to running outside, but it’ll come in handy on the days where I can’t get outside. It’s better than not running at all!

I had a lot of errands to run, so I did a quick 5 min warmup run class (which ended up being 5 min of just running that I wasn’t exactly prepared for).
ETA:
(Peloton)
Focus: 5 min Warm Up Run
Distance: 0.33 mi
Avg. Pace: 14'51"/mi

Later that evening I did a walk/run class. I did remember to put on my Garmin watch, but I forgot to start a run on both watches. I have to remember that part of the routine when running indoors…

5 min pre-run warmup indoors

(Peloton)

Focus: 15 min Intro to Walk + Run class
Distance: 0.77 mi
Avg. Pace: 19'06"/mi

5 min post-run stretch indoors

5 min core strength class

I’m glad I did the short walking class because the feeling on my body was so different and I ended up a little sore in different places. I have to experiment with what sneakers will work best for my treadmill runs as I get used to using it.

Last edited:
Wednesday, February 23. 2022
Today was my travel day for Princess Weekend! During my short MW trip I remember being exhausted on the travel day, so I tried to remember to take it easy today. Today was a very early wake up after only a few hours of sleep, but I was mostly packed and ready to go so I was able to eat a small breakfast before leaving the house.

We were on a full but uneventful flight. I slept the majority of it. On my way to pick up the rental car I stopped to attempt to register for Moonlight Magic. Springtime Surprise weekend will be the first time I’ll be on property for a MM event, so I decided to attempt to register for it even though it’s the same night as the 5K. I’ve heard it’s very hard to get into, and all I had was my phone to attempt to register with, so I had told myself if I didn’t get in I wouldn’t be upset because I won’t be able to experience the entire event anyway. After quite a wait (20 min before it opened at 11:00, plus another 20 min in the queue), I received a confirmation! With the large number of people ahead of me I really didn’t expect to get in, but I’m glad I tried. The plan will be to go right after the 5K. They technically start at the same time, but since it’s the shorter race I shouldn’t miss too much time. I’m excited to get to experience it for the first time!

After MM registration we picked up the rental car, headed to the supermarket for groceries, and then headed to our room which was already ready. We’re staying at Saratoga Springs for the first time, and this was the first time in a long time that we’ve had a room ready before 3:30-4:00+. I guess that’s a perk to staying in such a large resort! It was only our first day here but everyone has been so kind. I quickly realized that this resort would’ve been great for a trip that I needed to continue training in, so I made a mental note of that for future trips.

We grabbed lunch at the resort and took it easy the rest of the evening. We made a quick trip to MK, but came back early to settle in for the night.

Before getting ready for bed I did my 10 min core workout, a much needed 5 min upper body stretch, and a 10 min full body stretch.

It doesn’t feel like a race weekend yet. I’m not sure if it’s because I’m staying in a different resort, or because it’s so big that I haven’t noticed a lot of runners yet, but I’m really looking forward to getting the full expo experience tomorrow. I got to the expo on the last day of MW and the energy/excitement just wasn’t there. I’m sure it’ll be very crowded but I’m planning to get there early and wait it out on line until opening.

I’ll probably wait until I’m back home to do the full run updates for this weekend because it’s time consuming to post them on my phone, but I might check in here and there!

Finally found some morning downtime to continue my race trip recap!

Thursday, February 24. 2022 - Expo Day
I was up bright and early this morning after a restful evening in the room. I attempted to gather/combine my Disney gift cards on the website for expo shopping, but of course the website wasn't working. After an in-room pancake breakfast my mom and I were out the door and headed to the expo.

According to my photos we made it into the building by 7:45 am. The line was forming indoors, and people were in a hurry so I walked quickly to not get passed by too many people. Once we got inside we found ourselves in line on the first side of the room. We got settled for our 2 hour wait, engaging in conversations with the people in front and behind us. I always enjoy observing the outfits people wear to the expo. I had originally planned to wear the black runDisney tank I bought during MW, but that morning I decided on a top with four princesses on it (it's PW after all!). However, I enjoyed seeing all of the past race weekend shirts that people wore (especially the older ones). The couple in front of us were both wearing NB runDisney sneakers, which made for a fun conversation piece. The people behind us had brought a blanket to sit on. Although it was a long wait, it was exciting to be back! As the time got closer, the lines got much longer and both sides of the room quickly filled up. I checked the DIS PW thread and spotted @DopeyBadger across the room. I wanted to say hi but it would've been quite a job to get over there, so I just posted a hi from afar. Eventually they started letting people in a little before 10:00. There was a little bit of stop and go as they counted people in. We ended up being stopped for a bit, so I guess we ended up being the second group let in at 10:05. We grabbed baskets and headed in to shop.

I was a little bit concerned about merchandise amounts after seeing someone from Club runDisney post an overhead photo of the merchandise area, but there was a good amount of merchandise at opening. I went in with an idea of what I wanted and used the grab what you probably want and decide for sure after method. There were a few items that were going very quickly. One shirt that I wanted was the blue "This Princess Runs Disney" hoodie with the park icons on the sleeves. I was disappointed that they took the icons off of the sleeves for my first MW, so I figured this was the next best thing. By the time I found the shirt I could only grab it in a size too big, but I was willing to try it anyway. We did our walk around and then waited in the passholder line to check out that merchandise. While I was on that line they announced a few times that they were out of the size S passholder spirit jersey. I don’t know if they were holding any for other days or if they were completely sold out, but they announced it quite a few times. They also announced being out of the pink passholder hoodie in a size, but I think they ended up finding a box and restocking.

We headed over to the side closest to the checkout line to go through our selections. I took my time trying on what I decided to buy to be sure I really liked the fit. When I was unsure of a fit, I ventured to the middle to find a mirror, which was hard due to another passholder line going through the middle of the arena. I had to wait a few times to get to look in a mirror because I went back and forth instead of parking myself in front of it with all of my stuff (a lot of people did this, which wouldn't be a big deal except they had SOOO much stuff to try on and they weren't giving anyone a chance to look. I saw another woman hanging all of her clothes on the mirror. She must've been a reseller because she had multiples of the same item. That was slightly annoying because she wasn't even using the mirror, she was just covering it as she was going through her stuff. I digress... :rolleyes1). I tried on the blue hoodie I mentioned earlier and it was too big. I went to put it back and found that they had completely restocked them and there were plenty in my size, so I was able to grab one.

After making our selections I spotted @DopeyBadger on line and conquered my shyness to say hi. He easily convinced me to come to the prerace meetups, which I hadn't originally planned to do.

After dealing with some glitches on my mom's MDE app, we used mobile checkout and were out of merch by 11:20. I waited on line for one of the mileage photo ops, but it was getting crowded and I didn't want to continue waiting in each line. We were shocked to find as we walked out of the building that the line to get into the merch building wrapped around to our right, all the way around to the ESPN sign, and back around the front of the building. I was so glad we had a car and were able to arrive early, and I hoped that they had enough merchandise to make it worth the while of everyone standing outside in the hot sun!

With the hardest part of the expo out of the way, we decided to head back to the resort for a lunch break. We went to the pool bar and ordered food to bring back to the room. I had a cheeseburger and my mom got chicken fingers. It was a decent quick service meal, no complaints from either of us. We headed back to the expo around 1:30.

I had arranged to meet up with someone from the charity I was running for (Ashlyn from Kellsie's Hope), so I texted and found her first. Everyone she was with from the charity was so friendly and welcoming. I was happy to meet her in person. We got a quick photo before I headed to bib pickup.

I had to go to the 5K and FTC lines, but neither line was more than 1-2 people long so I moved through pretty quickly. The guy at the FTC bib pickup was much more thorough in checking my ID and bib number, but it still didn't take too long. After bib pickup we headed to the main expo building to pick up my shirts. I took quick photos of the maps, but decided to come back another day to check out the vendors and do the photo ops in the merch building (with hopes it would be a little less crowded).

We had originally planned for AK after the expo, but it was hot and I always feel 10 times hotter in that park, so we switched it to HS. However, when we finished at the expo we decided to go to Disney Springs first because my mom wanted to do some souvenir shopping. The worst part about Disney Springs to me is that if you don't Disney transportation or use the parking garage, you have to park on the complete opposite end of World of Disney, so it takes forever to get there. We did a little shopping, but by the time we got back to the resort we settled in and decided not to go back out. I got all of my gear out for the race in the morning and relaxed for the rest of the evening.

Last edited:
Friday, February 25. 2022 - Princess 5K
I woke up on time, got myself ready and drove over to Epcot for the race. I was a little unsure of the meetup location so I double checked the DIS and did a brief stretch before attempting to find it. I spotted everyone at the light pole and made my way over, trying not to be socially awkward lol. It was so nice to meet everyone and I was actually looking forward to coming back the next two days.

My corral for today was s1, which completely surprised me at bib pickup. Last night before I went to bed I looked back at my registration and apparently I selected 10:00-12:00. I know I was nervous about registering that day, so I must've picked a random time and planned to change it, but never remembered to do so. I was a little hesitant to start in s1, but I decided to go and just hold back to start in the back of the group. I ended up starting in the last s1 group at 5:14am. This decision actually ended up being slightly useless because even with my purposeful slower pace and run/walk intervals I ended up passing a lot of people in the beginning.

I stopped at the very long three princess line, because I was determined to complete my goal of stopping for character photos during the 5K. I started to regret it once I saw how long it was taking and how many runners were passing me, but I had been there for so long that it wasn't worth it to bail at that point. I overheard a conversation from runners who were discussing how they purposely put a faster time even though they were planning to walk the entire race in order to get more photo time. I know this happens and it's not at all surprising, but it was surprising to hear people discussing it after my feeling of guilt and purposeful back of the corral placement.

I don't know exactly how long I was on the line but I got my first of the three photos at 6:06. I've never stopped for photos in that location before during previous races, and now I know why! I don't regret it, but it did turn me off from wanting to stop again at other character stops during this race. The only other photo I stopped for was Joy because her line was short (When I got there it was originally Joy and Sadness, but when it was my turn it was just Joy. Not sure if they were both originally there, or if they had just switched out at that point. They were only doing Photopass or selfies at that spot, so that could be what kept the line moving).

My wait in the long line meant that I got stuck behind a very large number of walking groups for the rest of the race. I had already planned to take the race easy so it wasn't horrible, but it was very crowded. So crowded that I somehow missed the mile 2 marker! I got to mile 3 at 6:41, finished the race, took my "I Did It" photo, and headed back to the resort for a shower and breakfast.

Outdoor Run:
(Nike Run Club)
Focus:
WDW Princess 5K
Distance: 3.24 mi
Total Time: 0:44:06
Avg. Pace: 13'35"/mi
Splits:
1 =
13'54"
2 = 13'41"
3 = 13'06"
0.24 = 13'50"
(The app is set to auto pause if I'm not moving, so this does not reflect photo times.)

(Garmin)
Focus: WDW Princess 5K
Distance: 3.16 mi
Total Time: 0:43:17
Avg. Pace: 13'43"/mi
Splits:
1 =
13'40"
2 = 13'50"
3 = 13'46"
4 = 13'01"
(I think I paused this watch when the Nike app was paused.)

At 9:30 I decided to head back to the expo to take the photos I had skipped yesterday and check out the vendor building a little more thoroughly. I didn't set foot in the merch area again but it was nice to get some photos done before the crowds arrived. I bought my first pair of goodrs and was pleasantly surprised by how lightweight yet sturdy they were. I decided to wear them for the next two races instead of my more expensive sunglasses. I also bought my first set of Bib Boards, and I don't know why I waited so long to try them.

We went back to the resort for lunch in the room. My mom was still looking for little gifts for friends, so we went back out for quick stops in HS and Epcot but didn't find much. Thank goodness for APs because we really had very little park time this trip! When we returned to the resort we went to the main building and I noticed a sign outside with little extras they were doing for runners (a Welcome Back Greeting each race morning, a VIP Runner's Lounge by the pool, and Signature Offerings/Race Crafts in the Community Hall). I didn't end up experiencing any of them, but it was nice to see that they were celebrating runners.

We took it easy again this evening and stayed in. I had laid out all of my race gear by 7:30 and just relaxed in the room until I went to bed.

Saturday, February 26. 2022 - Princess Enchanted 10K
I woke up, got dressed, and had my pre-race breakfast (half a bagel with peanut butter and apple juice) prior to heading out to the race. I drove again and made my way over to the DIS meetup. After chatting for awhile we took a group photo and then headed off to our starting groups.

I was running today's and tomorrow's race for Kellsie's Hope and I thought of stopping over say hello on my way to the starting groups, but I decided against it. Another one of my goals was to wear something representing the charity for both races. I had already planned a Tiana themed outfit for today, so I wore yellow and pink hair ribbon in my hair for the charity. I figured I'd wait until the next day to say hello to them when I'd actually be wearing my Kellsie's Hope shirt.

Today I was in s4, which was more appropriate than yesterday, but I was wishing the POT requirements weren't so tough and I could've tried for maybe s3. Somehow with all the movement I ended up further back in s4 than expected, and started at 5:48am. I was going to stop for the Tiana photo after mile 1, but with this being her race everyone had that idea so I bailed. I couldn't wait in such a long line again. I did stop for Joy and Sadness right before mile 2 since I didn't get both the last time and their line was very short. Running through part of HS for the 10K was a nice little change for me. I don't think I've ever seen that Cars section next to RRC before, so that was a fun little surprise. I would've stopped for Mickey, Chip and Dale, and Goofy but their lines were pretty long too. I think after the marathon I just was spoiled with short lines and I couldn't do it. What was nice was some of the characters did stop and pose for the people doing selfies while the next runner came up for their photo, so I got a decent shot of Mickey and Goofy alone (I'm not a big selfie person). I did stop for a photo in Epcot with the topiaries and Spaceship Earth in the background. There was no Photopass photographer but there was a CM volunteering to take photos with our phones. While waiting on this line I saw a woman with a FTC bib that was white in some spots on the sides. I started to think to myself that I needed to be careful with my bib so that doesn't happen to me, but later this evening after reading about the man that used someone's bibs to run two races, I started to wonder if her bib wasn't real... :oops:

I reached mile 6 at 7:20. As I ran to the finish line I heard Ashlyn from Kellsie's Hope yelling my name, which was such a feel good moment. My mom wasn't able to come to the finish line, so it was so nice to have someone cheering me on for the first time! It makes such a difference! I did my "I Did It" photo and made the long walk back to the car.

Outdoor Run:
(Nike Run Club)
Focus:
WDW Princess Enchanted 10K
Distance: 6.32 mi
Total Time: 1:25:52
Avg. Pace: 13'35"/mi
Splits:
1 =
13'09"
2 = 12'46"
3 = 12'59"
4 = 13'32"
5 = 14'28"
6 = 15'23"
0.32 = 11'06"
(The app is set to auto pause if I'm not moving, so this does not reflect photo times.)

(Garmin)
Focus: WDW Princess Enchanted 10K
Distance: 6.33 mi
Total Time: 1:33:14
Avg. Pace: 14'43"/mi
Splits:
1 =
13'19"
2 = 14'57"
3 = 13'00"
4 = 13'50"
5 = 14'52"
6 = 19'26"
0.32 = 11'30"

WDW Tracking
Net Time:
1:33:48
Avg Pace: 15:06

After the race I headed back to the resort for a shower and breakfast. We went to Epcot for awhile, but didn't do much because the ride wait times were long. After Epcot we drove to the TTC and walked over to the Poly for Dole Whips. The line was long, but there was a Photopass photographer hanging out there so I did some photos with my medal while my mom waited on the line. I think they were my favorite photos of the weekend (no crowds and I loved the purple 10K shirt with the medal) so that was a win. They were selling a blue vanilla soft serve with a Cinderella clock and claimed it was for runners. The sign said "WAY TO GO RUNNERS! Time is running out before the creation disappears." Although it wasn't Dole Whip I decided to get it as a special treat. We ate outside the Poly and then walked back over to the TTC to take the ferryboat to MK. We walked around MK for about an hour before heading back to the ferryboat and back to the resort.

This evening I had a little more trouble getting my race outfit together for the next day because my Kellsie's Hope shirt was way too big. I tried to pin the sleeves but it was a no go, so I ended up heading back up to the lobby in the main building to ask to borrow scissors and cut them off. This process took way longer than it should have, so I got to bed later than planned.

Last edited:
Sunday, February 27. 2022 - Princess Half Marathon
I woke up and got dressed, but I had to play around with tying the shirt so it didn't look so big. I quickly ate my half a bagel and drank some of the juice before heading out. I had gone back and forth last night between driving or taking the bus due to the drive to HS change. I decided to drive, and my mom's plan was to walk from our room to the bus stop to take the bus to the finish at 7:30. After finishing we'd take the bus back to HS, and then be able to drive back to the room (instead of us taking the bus back to SS and having her have to walk all the way back to the room again). Since my mom would be driving back with me, I used her medical parking pass so she wouldn't have as far as a walk. However, the CMs in the parking lot at HS that morning didn't seem to be prepared for medical parking and I ended up being sent in all different directions that morning. It was a nightmare. By the time I got parked I quickly put on sunblock and finished my apple juice before walking over to the buses. I was on a bus by 3:15, but it was later than I wanted it to be. I decided to just head to the corrals when I got there because I didn't want to be rushed to get myself stretched and mentally ready. This was kind of disappointing because I looked forward to both the DIS meetup and saying hi to Kellsie's Krew, but I was so flustered at that point that I know I made the right choice.

I reached the front of Epcot by 3:35, and the stage by 3:45. I walked over to the corral and headed to the front so I wouldn't get stuck in the back again. I stretched, and then sat down to get myself mentally prepared. What I didn't anticipate was the delayed start. I know I was stressed about the HS situation, so I can't even imagine what the people that got there later than me experienced. What a mess!

Being in the front of the corral meant I was right in front of the big screen and was able to pay more attention to the videos and speakers before the race (Faron, the woman from Corksicle, the woman from the Fifty50 group, etc.). It was a nice way to get myself back in race mode and prepared for the run. I ended up starting the race at 5:44am.

I didn't really have any goals in mind for this race. I just wanted to enjoy it and finish feeling good. I decided I would take a photo of each mile marker, and stop for the castle photo and any other characters that I had an interest in:

Mile 1 - 5:59am
Mile 2 - 6:12am
MK parking entrance - 6:19am
Mile 3 - 6:26am
Mile 4 - 6:38am
Mickey & Minnie at the MK railroad station - 6:49am
Mile 5 - 6:51am
Quick bathroom stop near Gaston’s
MK castle photo
Mile 6 - 7:13am
Elsa - 7:21am
Mile 7 - 7:28am
Tiana and Naveen - 7:34am
Mile 8 - 7:45am
Mile 9 - 7:58am
Mile 10 - 8:11am
Mile 11 - 8:25am
Mile 12 - 8:39am
Jeff Galloway - 8:50am
Mile 13 - 8:52am

The only actual character stops I waited for were the castle photo (first jump shot I attempted that came out blurry, oh well), Elsa (because her line was very short), and Tiana and Naveen (because I skipped her yesterday). I did a quick selfie with Jeff Galloway. I felt so good during this race and just kept moving forward following my run/walk intervals. My favorite part of this race was the number of Kellsie's Hope runners and volunteers that were out throughout the course cheering each other on. I do all of my races alone (which I prefer because I can follow what my body tells me I need), but it was the first time I felt like I had a cheer squad moving me forward. One of the Kellsie's Hope volunteers that I met on Thursday was standing after the overpass into Epcot and she cheered me on by name as I approached, which totally blew me away.

I quickly started to realize that I was making good time. I couldn't remember my fastest HM time for sure, but I knew I was close to it. After my Jeff Galloway selfie I pushed forward to the finish, hearing my name once again by Ashlyn as I crossed the finish line. I knew I did pretty well, but I had no idea how well until I checked my time.

Outdoor Run:
(Nike Run Club)
Focus:
WDW Princess Half Marathon
Distance: 13.33 mi
Total Time: 2:53:57
Avg. Pace: 13'03"/mi
Splits:
1 =
13'12"
2 = 12'46"
3 = 13'25"
4 = 12'16"
5 = 12'15"
6 = 12'54"
7 = 13'44"
8 = 13'14"
9 = 13'23"
10 = 13'14"
11 = 14'10"
12 = 13'07"
13 = 12'22"
0.33 = 11'42"

(Garmin)
Focus: WDW Princess Half Marathon
Distance: 13.39 mi
Total Time: 3:00:45
Avg. Pace: 13'30"/mi
Splits:
1 =
13'21"
2 = 12'49"
3 = 13'26"
4 = 12'15"
5 = 12'44"
6 = 13'00"
7 = 15'28"
8 = 15'43"
9 = 13'36"
10 = 13'08"
11 = 14'20"
12 = 13'19"
13 = 12'36"
14 = 12'40"

WDW Tracking
Net Time:
3:08:21

My previous half marathon PR was the 2021 virtual Star Wars Half Marathon I did on 4/3/21 with a finish time of 3:18:54. I beat my PR by 10 minutes, without really trying! party:

After taking my "I Did It" photo and a photo by the Golden Mickey statue I went over to say thank you to Ashlyn at the finish line. Fundraising and running for a charity brought a different meaning to the race weekend, and I was blown away by how supportive everyone from the charity was. Even the runners in the race were cheering each other on, and that was wonderful. I will definitely do another race with Kellsie's Hope again.

There was some confusion regarding where to get the bus back to HS, and once we found the spot the line was soooo long. I found it ironic that Disney was handing out masks so you could get on the buses, but the driver and assistant on the bus I was on both didn't wear masks :confused3. We made the walk back to the car (luckily I did get the medical parking sorted out in the morning because it was a long walk for my mom with all the back and forth loops we did to get on the bus), and headed back to the resort. After showering, eating, and finishing up packing we made a quick trip to MK. We took the monorail from the TTC and I did medal photos in front of the train station. We did a little walking around before we had to leave. On my way out a friend from work was texting me, and as I was responding to her text I looked up to see @DopeyBadger waving to me. It was nice to see a friendly face on my way out!

I felt great after the run. No soreness or pain at all. I had been feeling down since my training became so limited after the marathon, but clearly those months of marathon training continued to help me through Princess Weekend!

We left MK and got ready to head to the airport. I changed into my compression socks and Crocs before we got there. We had an uneventful flight home, and I slept through most of it. After the very warm FL days we were unprepared for the very cold weather at home!

Last edited:
Now what?
This week I've focused on some core strength classes, easy rides on the spin bike, and walks on the treadmill. I felt fine and probably could've done more physically, but I was tired after jumping right into a busy week of work on Monday morning. There were a couple of days that I fell asleep without getting in any exercise, but it's okay because I know I needed it. Tonight I'm going to try for a short run on the treadmill. I'm not a fan of treadmill running, but I'm happy to have it and will definitely be using it.

@DopeyBadger, I'm calling on you again for suggestions from now through Springtime Surprise weekend! It's my last planned race weekend of the year, and I want to keep moving forward. Now that I have a treadmill, I have no excuses. :rotfl2:I know it's a very short time until Springtime Surprise so a formal plan may not be necessary, but at least a guide of how many minutes or miles I should try to get in each week prior to the race so I can stay focused. I learned in January/February that if I don't have a plan on the calendar, I don't stay on track!

My next races will be the 5K, 10K and 10 miler at Springtime Surprise, and then I'll be taking it easy for awhile. I'll probably try out the different run classes on the treadmill over the next few months. Once summer begins I might pick up my old 10K plan, and I'll probably sign up for the local summer race series if that's offered again this year. My next big goal is Dopey 2023 (Am I crazy? I must be crazy!). I saw that the Wine and Dine POT requirements relaxed a bit, so if they continue to lower maybe I'll have a chance to try for a summer POT race.

Congratulations to all of the Princess Weekend runners (both in person and virtually)! I had a blast this year, and the DIS was a big part of that! :cheer2:

Sunday, February 27. 2022 - Princess Half Marathon
I woke up and got dressed, but I had to play around with tying the shirt so it didn't look so big. I quickly ate my half a bagel and drank some of the juice before heading out. I had gone back and forth last night between driving or taking the bus due to the drive to HS change. I decided to drive, and my mom's plan was to walk from our room to the bus stop to take the bus to the finish at 7:30. After finishing we'd take the bus back to HS, and then be able to drive back to the room (instead of us taking the bus back to SS and having her have to walk all the way back to the room again). Since my mom would be driving back with me, I used her medical parking pass so she wouldn't have as far as a walk. However, the CMs in the parking lot at HS that morning didn't seem to be prepared for medical parking and I ended up being sent in all different directions that morning. It was a nightmare. By the time I got parked I quickly put on sunblock and finished my apple juice before walking over to the buses. I was on a bus by 3:15, but it was later than I wanted it to be. I decided to just head to the corrals when I got there because I didn't want to be rushed to get myself stretched and mentally ready. This was kind of disappointing because I looked forward to both the DIS meetup and saying hi to Kellsie's Krew, but I was so flustered at that point that I know I made the right choice.

I reached the front of Epcot by 3:35, and the stage by 3:45. I walked over to the corral and headed to the front so I wouldn't get stuck in the back again. I stretched, and then sat down to get myself mentally prepared. What I didn't anticipate was the delayed start. I know I was stressed about the HS situation, so I can't even imagine what the people that got there later than me experienced. What a mess!

Being in the front of the corral meant I was right in front of the big screen and was able to pay more attention to the videos and speakers before the race (Faron, the woman from Corksicle, the woman from the Fifty50 group, etc.). It was a nice way to get myself back in race mode and prepared for the run. I ended up starting the race at 5:44am.

I didn't really have any goals in mind for this race. I just wanted to enjoy it and finish feeling good. I decided I would take a photo of each mile marker, and stop for the castle photo and any other characters that I had an interest in:

Mile 1 - 5:59am
Mile 2 - 6:12am
MK parking entrance - 6:19am
Mile 3 - 6:26am
Mile 4 - 6:38am
Mickey & Minnie at the MK railroad station - 6:49am
Mile 5 - 6:51am
Quick bathroom stop near Gaston’s
MK castle photo
Mile 6 - 7:13am
Elsa - 7:21am
Mile 7 - 7:28am
Tiana and Naveen - 7:34am
Mile 8 - 7:45am
Mile 9 - 7:58am
Mile 10 - 8:11am
Mile 11 - 8:25am
Mile 12 - 8:39am
Jeff Galloway - 8:50am
Mile 13 - 8:52am

The only actual character stops I waited for were the castle photo (first jump shot I attempted that came out blurry, oh well), Elsa (because her line was very short), and Tiana and Naveen (because I skipped her yesterday). I did a quick selfie with Jeff Galloway. I felt so good during this race and just kept moving forward following my run/walk intervals. My favorite part of this race was the number of Kellsie's Hope runners and volunteers that were out throughout the course cheering each other on. I do all of my races alone (which I prefer because I can follow what my body tells me I need), but it was the first time I felt like I had a cheer squad moving me forward. One of the Kellsie's Hope volunteers that I met on Thursday was standing after the overpass into Epcot and she cheered me on by name as I approached, which totally blew me away.

I quickly started to realize that I was making good time. I couldn't remember my fastest HM time for sure, but I knew I was close to it. After my Jeff Galloway selfie I pushed forward to the finish, hearing my name once again by Ashlyn as I crossed the finish line. I knew I did pretty well, but I had no idea how well until I checked my time.

Outdoor Run:
(Nike Run Club)
Focus:
WDW Princess Half Marathon
Distance: 13.33 mi
Total Time: 2:53:57
Avg. Pace: 13'03"/mi
Splits:
1 =
13'12"
2 = 12'46"
3 = 13'25"
4 = 12'16"
5 = 12'15"
6 = 12'54"
7 = 13'44"
8 = 13'14"
9 = 13'23"
10 = 13'14"
11 = 14'10"
12 = 13'07"
13 = 12'22"
0.33 = 11'42"

(Garmin)
Focus: WDW Princess Half Marathon
Distance: 13.39 mi
Total Time: 3:00:45
Avg. Pace: 13'30"/mi
Splits:
1 =
13'21"
2 = 12'49"
3 = 13'26"
4 = 12'15"
5 = 12'44"
6 = 13'00"
7 = 15'28"
8 = 15'43"
9 = 13'36"
10 = 13'08"
11 = 14'20"
12 = 13'19"
13 = 12'36"
14 = 12'40"

WDW Tracking
Net Time:
3:08:21

My previous half marathon PR was the 2021 virtual Star Wars Half Marathon I did on 4/3/21 with a finish time of 3:18:54. I beat my PR by 10 minutes, without really trying! party:

After taking my "I Did It" photo and a photo by the Golden Mickey statue I went over to say thank you to Ashlyn at the finish line. Fundraising and running for a charity brought a different meaning to the race weekend, and I was blown away by how supportive everyone from the charity was. Even the runners in the race were cheering each other on, and that was wonderful. I will definitely do another race with Kellsie's Hope again.

There was some confusion regarding where to get the bus back to HS, and once we found the spot the line was soooo long. I found it ironic that Disney was handing out masks so you could get on the buses, but the driver and assistant on the bus I was on both didn't wear masks :confused3. We made the walk back to the car (luckily I did get the medical parking sorted out in the morning because it was a long walk for my mom with all the back and forth loops we did to get on the bus), and headed back to the resort. After showering, eating, and finishing up packing we made a quick trip to MK. We took the monorail from the TTC and I did medal photos in front of the train station. We did a little walking around before we had to leave. On my way out a friend from work was texting me, and as I was responding to her text I looked up to see @DopeyBadger waving to me. It was nice to see a friendly face on my way out!

I felt great after the run. No soreness or pain at all. I had been feeling down since my training became so limited after the marathon, but clearly those months of marathon training continued to help me through Princess Weekend!

We left MK and got ready to head to the airport. I changed into my compression socks and Crocs before we got there. We had an uneventful flight home, and I slept through most of it. After the very warm FL days we were unprepared for the very cold weather at home!

Congratulations on your new PR for the HM! That's an impressive improvement! And you got a lot of great photos, too!

Great recap! Thanks for sharing! I'm so glad you came to the DIS meetups, and that I spotted you in MK. Sounds like it was a great weekend.

I'd say do something like 50-75% of what you were doing. I wouldn't worry about doing anything hard, just keep it all easy. There's only four weeks between now and then, so it's really just about maintaining what you've got. No need to push unnecessarily hard during this time period.

Better late than never... 2022 Springtime Surprise Weekend Recap!

Pre-Race Weekend...
In the month leading up to this race I did my maintenance runs on the treadmill. To mix it up I did a number of walks, walk + runs, and themed runs. I also mixed in some core strength and cycling classes for a change of pace. This month I was very thankful to own the bike and treadmill, because all of my workouts were done late at night before bed. I felt ready for the race weekend, but work and life had been so hectic that downtime was few and far between.

Thursday, March 31, 2022 - Travel Day, Expo Day, Moonlight Magic and Expedition Everest 5K!
I was registered to run the Springtime Surprise Challenge, so I was not happy to be traveling to FL the day of the first race. With the first race being scheduled on Thursday night instead of Friday morning like I originally expected, and limited time off from work after other trips, unfortunately I didn't have another choice. Our flight was at 6:00am and I felt fairly confident that we would get there in enough time to at least pick up my bib for the race that evening. I was very thankful for no wacky weather and flight delays today!

I woke up around 2:00am to give myself enough time to get ready and finish any last minute packing I needed to do. We got a great spot in the parking lot, and our airport and flight experiences went smoothly. By 9:00am we were waiting for the tram. We had a bit of a wait to pick up our luggage, so we didn't get to our rental car until 9:45am. We stopped at Dunkin on our way, and decided to stop at the resort (according to the app our room was ready nice and early!) to drop off our luggage since we were already getting to the expo late.

We were staying at OKW for the first time this trip. It is a very large resort, so I was thankful to have the car and be able to drive straight to our building. Unfortunately when we unpacked the car and walked up to our room we couldn't get the door open with a magic band or a phone. We didn't want to reload the car, so my mom waited by the room while I drove over to the lobby for assistance. Apparently the systems were down at OKW that morning, so I had to wait for them to make me room keys in the back and then drive back to the room to get in. At this point I almost wished that we had went straight to the expo, but at the same time I was happy we didn't because I always feel better once we're in our rooms and able to get settled.

Once we were all set we drove to the expo. I have a photo in front of the ESPN sign at 12:06pm. There was a bit of a wait on the inside, so we didn't get to the merch area until 12:49pm. I was hoping to find pins and magnets, and possibly a challenge I Did It shirt since it's the first year of this event, but I went in with limited expectations after arriving so late. Of course I didn't find everything I wanted, but by 1:16pm I was checked out using mobile order for the following:
- SS Challenge I Did It t-shirt
- Pins: Passholder logo, Challenge logo & medal replica, 10 mi logo & medal replica, 10K logo & medal replica, 5K logo (I had to circle back a few times to find this one!)
- Magnets: Weekend, 10 mi, 10K

I was happy to find as much as I did after arriving so late and was able to use gift cards to pay for it all. My mom was tired so she went off to the car to wait while I headed over to get my bibs and t-shirts. One thing I found very strange was that they didn't have the dots for each race lined up on the walkway up the hill. I ended up finding them in the bib pickup building on what looked like large tablecloths on a wall. I don't know how or why that happened. I do recall seeing posts on Instagram of people with photos of all four of them at once outdoors, but I don't know when they got to take those. :confused3

I headed into the vendor building and took a quick look around, but there wasn't anything that I was interested in. I guess there wasn't much new to peak my interest. I picked up my shirts and quickly tried them on for size, stopped at the DVC booth for a chance to win (I don't know if anyone ever wins, but it was worth a try as I was passing by), and then made my way out.

Once we got back to OKW we stopped at the main building to pick up lunch. The options at the quick service restaurant were limited, but we each found something and brought it back to our room. The plan was to eat, and then rest and get settled in our room before our big night! I actually got in bed and tried to take a nap, but it didn't work out. I played around with the scavenger hunt app a bit, but decided I'd wait for more instructions at the event.

Tonight was going to be a busy night, because we had our first Moonlight Magic event, and the Expedition Everest 5K. This was an evening of unknowns, because I've never experienced Moonlight Magic or done a race in AK, so I was a little unsure of how things would go.

We ended up deciding to go to Moonlight Magic briefly first to check in and try to use some of the vouchers before heading straight over to the race. We arrived at EPCOT and got our bracelets and vouchers with no issues. I was dressed and ready for the race, the only thing I didn't do was put my bib or running sneakers on, but I had them in the car and ready to go. We picked up our popcorn buckets and walked around a bit. Neither of us was particularly hungry, and I wasn't willing to eat something random before the race, so we ended up just walking around a bit before deciding to get on line for Soarin' before heading out. I think this ended up being our downfall, because of course the line ended up being a little longer than expected, and then we still had to walk to the car to get to AK. First, I underestimated how far AK is from EPCOT (I don't go there regularly so I forgot how far it is from everything). Second, although I thought we should be okay because the buses from the resorts weren't supposed to be running until 8:30, we were NOT okay. The traffic to get into AK was excruciatingly painful. I have never been more stressed about making it to a race as I was this night. I think I was also tired after being up since 2am, which didn't help my stress level. Once we got into the parking lot I stayed to the left which ended up being the smartest move and the quickest moving lanes, but they were still very slow moving. Not to mention how far of a drive it was to get to the actual parking location.

Once we were parked I quickly put on my running sneakers and grabbed my bib. My mom decided to wait in the car. Luckily as I was hurrying to get to the start a cast member was calling out our parking location (which I completely didn't think about), so I entered it into my phone to reference after finishing the race. Since I was there and parked I thought my anxiety could finally decrease, but I realized it wouldn't because now I had to trek all the way over to the AK entrance to go through the medal detectors. The line of people that I'm assuming came from the buses was sooo long, but it was dark so I couldn't tell exactly where it started. A man was announcing for us to jump in the line where we were, which was nice but I'm sure it was also incredibly frustrating for those people that were already there. It was a mess, and i just couldn't wait to get to my corral.

By the time I got to my corral I was tired and overwhelmed. Not a great way to start a race, especially with the iffy weather. I know I was irritable and I wasn't completely paying attention to the announcements. I appreciated the smoke used to send off each group, and I completely understand why they had to do it, but it felt out of place to not see and hear the fireworks. It was slightly strange to be set up in the AK parking lot vs EPCOT, and it felt like each start took forever. I know they were trying to stagger the starts, which was definitely needed due to the narrow course, but the wait was certainly not enjoyable. I think the worst part about it was that you could see the finish from where we were standing, so we were watching people come in finishing the race while we were waiting to be allowed to start. I was in s3, so it was a bit of a wait. My group wasn't sent out until 10:39pm.

I saw one woman getting up from a fall in the parking lot in the very beginning of the race. A cast member was already there asking if she was okay, and the woman replied no. This spooked me a little bit, and I tried to be very aware of my footing from there on out. While I appreciated the ability to run a new course and at night, it wasn't as great as I hoped it would be. Again, I know 90% of my experience is due to my exhaustion and the anxiousness that I experienced trying to get to the race, but even with all of that aside I just felt like the course was sooo dark and sooo crowded, and I was a little nervous about potentially getting injured. I ended up not stopping for any photos because the lines were just too long, but I did stop for quick pictures of:
- Animal Kingdom sign 10:52pm
- Mile 1 marker 10:53pm
- Tree of Life 10:55pm
- quick video of the ground in Pandora 10:57pm
- Festival of the Lion King sign 11:01pm
- Mickey's side (lol, I was hoping he'd turn around but it never happened and I didn't want to wait for the selfie people to move) 11:06pm
- Mile 2 marker 11:08pm
- Crush and family puppets 11:09pm
- Mile 3 marker 11:14pm

Apparently in my anxiousness of starting the race I missed the memo that the course was being shortened. I couldn't even believe when I saw the mile 3 marker. After completing the race I was a little disappointed that it wasn't a full 5K, but I wasn't too upset because I've run too many 5Ks to count, and I've run enough additional milage in runDisney races accidentally to make up for the difference.

Outdoor Run:
(Nike Run Club)
Focus:
Springtime Surprise Challenge - Expedition Everest 5K
Distance: 2.66 mi
Total Time: 00:37:17
Avg. Pace: 13'59"/mi
Splits:
1 =
13'33"
2 = 14'02"
0.66 = 14'33"

(Garmin)
Focus: Springtime Surprise Challenge - Expedition Everest 5K
Distance: 2.69 mi
Total Time: 00:38:18
Avg. Pace: 14'16"/mi
Splits:
1 =
13'48"
2 = 14'29"
3 = 14'36"

The parking lot was slight chaos. I did get my medal and snack box but somehow I never saw the bananas. I was starting to look for my way back to the car when I noticed a random Photopass photographer in the crowd. They didn't have the runDisney signs out, so I almost forgot about the finisher photo! I found a line to stand in, but it was very awkward because we were just randomly lined up in the parking lot with no sense of order or direction. I got my photo and eventually found my way back to the car, which was much harder than I expected because there wasn't anyone guiding you and I had no idea which direction I needed to go.

After all of that chaos, I changed my sneakers and my shirt and made my way back to EPCOT to finish Moonlight Magic. We arrived back at the event check in spot at 11:55pm. We walked around leisurely, and it was pretty empty. It almost reminded me of what the parks used to feel like during late night extra magic hours. I got a Mickey ice cream sandwich and a soda, and decided to take the opportunity to ride Remy's Ratatouille Adventure for the first time without an incredibly long wait. We made our way over to the ride and after some confusion at the entrance made our way inside. We ended up waiting exactly 30 minutes from the time we got on line until the time we walked to the ride vehicle. I thought the ride was cute, but I don't think I'd wait longer than that to ride it again. I've also never seen Ratatouille, so some of the excitement might've been lost on me. It reminded me of a nicer/smoother/newer version of Spiderman at US. After the ride I was exhausted. While it had rained off an on that evening, apparently it poured while we were inside. Luckily we missed that and were able to walk back to the car dry. It was a very short Moonlight Magic event with an almost 5K in the middle, but I actually enjoyed it and was glad I went. It felt like Disney of the past, and I hope to be able to attend another one in the future and be able to experience the entire event.

I don't know exactly what time we got back to our room, but I remember being in the room and awake at 2am, realizing I had been awake for 24 hours. :faint:

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter