Some DLP observations from American Parks regulars

Dr. G

Disney Addict, Not Recovering
My wife and I had one day to spend at DLP and had a great time. We'd been there 25 years ago so a lot has changed. Here are some observations that may help others used to visiting DL or WDW.

Pros: This park is beautiful! The castle is amazing and the dungeon/dragon are wonderful. We focused on rides that are different than the US parks or unique to Paris. Really loved Big Thunder, Pirates and Phantom Manor. Alice's Labyrinth was fun. The Storybookland Canal-type ride was great. We LOVED both the Lion King and the Mickey and the Magician shows and feel they are not to be missed. We also made sure to see both parades and enjoyed them. The indoor shopping area at the entrance to the Studios was fun. I'm mostly fluent in French so it was a blast for me to hear and see everything in French. We are very glad we spent a day here, but not sure that we'd do it on a subsequent European trip since DL in CA is on our regular rotation every year or two. But if you've not been to DLP and are DL and/or WDW Park fans, DLP is a must do at least once in our book. Transportation to and from downtown Paris was very easy.

Cons: I don't want to be too negative, but here are few things that might be good to know in advance. It is near impossible to get water in the park unless you buy it. The drinking fountains were turned off and restaurants will not give you a cup of water with your meal (I asked in both French and English at Casa de Coco and was told no water). That seems dangerous were the weather to be warmer (it was fine when we were there). So, bring your own water bottle and fill it up in the bathroom. Or just buy some. We disliked all the smoke smell in the park as guests were smoking while walking around, in lines and at outdoor eating areas. We saw very few cast members anywhere to help with directions or smoking, except in stores, so we just moved when people were smoking and relied on the app for directions. They really needed an employee at the entrance turnstiles to get in as people were having a hard time getting things to scan (I finally learned you have to tilt your pass up a bit to scan and not lay it flat). Anyway, not a lot of complaints but it was odd to us to not have water access, have to deal with smoking all over, and lack of employees around to help. But we had a wonderful time in a gorgeous park!

I'm just back too and Ive started a full in depth trip report.

I asked at City Hall about the drinking fountains. They turn off the outside ones in Winter to prevent frozen and burst pipes. There is a water fountain in Liberty Arcade which is not turned off in Winter as it is in doors. I used it multiple times.

We had the meal plan and a drink is included with every meal. I got a bottle of still water with each counter service meal at lunch time. At dinner each night in the table service and buffet restaurants we got plenty of still water.

Also there is no free refills or bottomless soda drinks due to French sugar tax laws.

Regarding the smoking, this is a known issues in DLP, has been happening as long as the parks have been open. Its a European thing, attitudes to smoking are very different in Europe. These been multiple trip reports here on the Dis over the last 10 years about smoking in the parks. The CM's dont enforce as the leads dont enforce as guests get too abusive when told they cant smoke around the parks. I was sitting by Alice Maze at Fantasyland while my friend went to the smoking area by the side of Meet Micky Mouse House. A French man walked up to the trash can beside me and started smoking. Its just how it is.

I didnt have any notable issues scanning my pass.

You will love it--it is a gorgeous park! And you are reading and getting prepared before you go--smarter than me! :)

I guess using the drinking fountains is different in Europe than in the US.

I have to say that we would never use these drinking fountains to due hygienic reasons. But we Germans are scared about everything :P

Good to hear you had a great time. And yes, there are some cultural differences. I'm so used to the fountains not working in winter, that I hardly use them at other times of the year.

And... @ThBa, I'm not a big fan of fountains either ;-)

Thank you for posting! Regarding the smoking, is it just everywhere or designated areas? Sounds like everywhere unfortunately but just wanted to ask because it gives me such bad asthma and I’m rethinking an upcoming trip there (for several personal reasons, but the smoke thing is a big deal for me).

Thank you for posting! Regarding the smoking, is it just everywhere or designated areas? Sounds like everywhere unfortunately but just wanted to ask because it gives me such bad asthma and I’m rethinking an upcoming trip there (for several personal reasons, but the smoke thing is a big deal for me).

Im just back from Disneyland Paris. I wouldnt rethink a trip , its not worth missing out on something you would enjoy, however, you need to be aware that some people, not all smokers will light up and smoke while walking around the park. Ive seen reports in previous years of people smoking in outdoor queues but I didnt see that on my trip. I was sitting on a bench beside Alice Maze in Fantasyland and a French man walked over to the trash can beside me and started smoking. I also smelled smoke walking around the park in various places but didnt actually see who was smoking.

There are designated smoking areas which most people use.

Ap holder here: I have never seen a smoker in a queue, but I did see it waiting for the parade, but even then not very often. More that you have people walking & smoking at once. So it is a 2 second passing that you smell it.

I have seen people being directed by CMs to the designated areas, but there has to be a CM to see it. My experience is that many people use the areas. It's a handful of guests that smoke where they shouldn't. It really isn't every other guest.

I think it is easy to avoid and not a reason to cancel. But I do not know the severity of your astma, if smelling it in passing is too much, then France is not the place for you.

It is probably more noticeable to Americans because it is something you do not see in the US Disney parks. And it might seem worse than it is.

Love DLP, but the smoking problem is awful. People think nothing of holding a lighted cigarette at child level as they walk through the park, and on our last trip we saw a woman sitting in her child’s stroller, smoking, chatting with a CM who didn’t bat an eyelid.

We first went to DLP in 2014, and then again this spring. There was a definite improvement in the number of smokers outside of smoking areas this year compared to our first visit. That said several smoking areas were near restrooms and were hard to avoid when you had to use one. The one closest to Phantom Manor was the worse.

We had someone smoking in front of us in the line for Phantom Manor. Someone lit up next to us at the outside patio by Gibson Girl ice cream. Several people smoking walking around. But most people seemed to be in the designated smoking areas. It was easy for us to get away from everyone except the Phantom Manor line but it was right before going inside so didn't last long. I wouldn't cancel a trip over it unless you are super sensitive to smoke. It is pretty easy to get away from it by moving somewhere else as it's just a few who don't care about where they light up. Mostly people walking around and not many at that. It just stood out to us because we are so used to California and Florida with no smoking. I agree with Karin1984 in that smoking is everywhere in France outdoors and just comes with the territory. We really did LOVE DLP though and are so glad we went!

We had someone smoking in front of us in the line for Phantom Manor. Someone lit up next to us at the outside patio by Gibson Girl ice cream. Several people smoking walking around. But most people seemed to be in the designated smoking areas. It was easy for us to get away from everyone except the Phantom Manor line but it was right before going inside so didn't last long. I wouldn't cancel a trip over it unless you are super sensitive to smoke. It is pretty easy to get away from it by moving somewhere else as it's just a few who don't care about where they light up. Mostly people walking around and not many at that. It just stood out to us because we are so used to California and Florida with no smoking. I agree with Karin1984 in that smoking is everywhere in France outdoors and just comes with the territory. We really did LOVE DLP though and are so glad we wen
My wife and I had one day to spend at DLP and had a great time. We'd been there 25 years ago so a lot has changed. Here are some observations that may help others used to visiting DL or WDW.

Pros: This park is beautiful! The castle is amazing and the dungeon/dragon are wonderful. We focused on rides that are different than the US parks or unique to Paris. Really loved Big Thunder, Pirates and Phantom Manor. Alice's Labyrinth was fun. The Storybookland Canal-type ride was great. We LOVED both the Lion King and the Mickey and the Magician shows and feel they are not to be missed. We also made sure to see both parades and enjoyed them. The indoor shopping area at the entrance to the Studios was fun. I'm mostly fluent in French so it was a blast for me to hear and see everything in French. We are very glad we spent a day here, but not sure that we'd do it on a subsequent European trip since DL in CA is on our regular rotation every year or two. But if you've not been to DLP and are DL and/or WDW Park fans, DLP is a must do at least once in our book. Transportation to and from downtown Paris was very easy.

Cons: I don't want to be too negative, but here are few things that might be good to know in advance. It is near impossible to get water in the park unless you buy it. The drinking fountains were turned off and restaurants will not give you a cup of water with your meal (I asked in both French and English at Casa de Coco and was told no water). That seems dangerous were the weather to be warmer (it was fine when we were there). So, bring your own water bottle and fill it up in the bathroom. Or just buy some. We disliked all the smoke smell in the park as guests were smoking while walking around, in lines and at outdoor eating areas. We saw very few cast members anywhere to help with directions or smoking, except in stores, so we just moved when people were smoking and relied on the app for directions. They really needed an employee at the entrance turnstiles to get in as people were having a hard time getting things to scan (I finally learned you have to tilt your pass up a bit to scan and not lay it flat). Anyway, not a lot of complaints but it was odd to us to not have water access, have to deal with smoking all over, and lack of employees around to help. But we had a wonderful time in a gorgeous park!
We are WDW regulars -- have been over 30 times since 1971 and spent 2 1/2 days at Disneyland Paris/Walt Disney Studios at the end of September. We loved the parks, but like you noticed the smokers too. It didn't bother us though. The last time I was in Paris was 1976, and Disney wasn't open then. Back then when I was an exchange student smoking in Paris was soooo common -- I only met four adults who like me didn't smoke the whole time I was there and they were older people who had quit for health reasons. France has come a long way since then with way less people smoking now. But it is noticeable in the parks compared to the US. At least lol it's not weed. I just hate the smell of that. Since they legalized this recreationally in my state, it's really bothersome to me how I can be stuck in traffic and smell it, and I now avoid parking garages whenever I can due to the weed smell that is so prevalent in those. On our short trip end of Sept / early Octorber, four nights in Paris, three nights in Disneyland Paris, and three nights in Belfast, I didn't smell any weed in France. In Belfast though I smelled a lot of weed -- actually more than I do at home, but then I was in the city center vs. a suburb like where I live.

Note too in WDW proper I have never smelled cigarette smoke or weed which is a breath of fresh air.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter