Solar Eclipse April 8

RedAngie

Sea Level Lady
Is anyone in the path of the upcoming total solar eclipse this April?

We’re thinking of driving to see it. Cleveland, OH and Erie, PA hotels are either sold out or have ridiculously high rates.

A compromise would be a bit north or west of Pittsburgh, PA then drive 90 minutes into the path of totality.

I’ve been searching and both Cleveland and Erie are hosting various eclipse events. But maybe we’ll just find a Walmart parking lot in either of those areas to view it.

We're in Texas. My parents are currently planning to fly in and have me drive them to Waco to try and see totality. They will cancel if the weather forecast doesn't look promising. Waco is about 2.5 hours away. They're expecting 4M 11.4S of totality in this spot.

In that part of the country, there are a few prime locations:

Lima, Ohio​

This small city of 36,000 is well positioned for viewing the eclipse and is just large enough to handle a moderate influx of visitors. For those who want the maximum possible length of totality, you’ll get 6 additional seconds if you drive south on Interstate 75 to Wapakoneta, and an extra second if you continue south to the center line.

Eclipse starts: 1:54:51 p.m. EDT
Eclipse ends: 4:26:01 p.m. EDT
Maximum eclipse: 3:11:43 p.m. EDT
Sun’s altitude at maximum eclipse: 50.8°
Duration of totality: 3 minutes 51 seconds
Width of Moon’s shadow: 113 miles (181.9 km)

Cleveland, Ohio​

With a metro population of more than 2 million, this city will host a multitude of eclipse chasers. Get there a couple of days early, and fill the waiting time with visits to some of Cleveland’s highlights, including the Cleveland Museum of Arts and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Eclipse starts: 1:59:20 p.m. EDT
Eclipse ends: 4:28:57 p.m. EDT
Maximum eclipse: 3:15:37 p.m. EDT
Sun’s altitude at maximum eclipse: 48.6°
Duration of totality: 3 minutes 49 seconds
Width of Moon’s shadow: 111.9 miles (180.1 km)

Erie, Pennsylvania​

The only large city in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania to be graced by the Moon’s umbra is Erie, which, with its 100,000 residents, sits on the shore of the Great Lake that bears its name. It’s certain that many eclipse chasers from Pittsburgh, 130 miles to the south via Interstate 79, will visit for the event.

Eclipse starts: 2:02:23 p.m. EDT
Eclipse ends: 4:30:48 p.m. EDT
Maximum eclipse: 3:18:12 p.m. EDT
Sun’s altitude at maximum eclipse: 47°
Duration of totality: 3 minutes 42 seconds
Width of Moon’s shadow: 111.2 miles (179 km)

Niagara Falls, New York​

If the Northeastern United States has good weather on eclipse day, the most picturesque images of the event might come from Niagara Falls. One of the best perspectives will come from the outlook called Terrapin Point, where the Sun will hang halfway up in the southwest — directly over the Falls! Science buffs who observe or photograph the eclipse from this area surely will want to visit the Nikola Tesla Statue within Queen Victoria Park on the Canadian side of Niagara Falls. It lies only 0.3 mile (0.5 km) north of Terrapin Point.

Eclipse starts: 2:04:50 p.m. EDT
Eclipse ends: 4:31:57 p.m. EDT
Maximum eclipse: 3:20:02 p.m. EDT
Sun’s altitude at maximum eclipse: 45.6°
Duration of totality: 3 minutes 31 seconds
Width of Moon’s shadow: 110.8 miles (178.4 km)

Source: https://www.astronomy.com/observing...o-view-the-2024-great-north-american-eclipse/

In 2017, we drove to Hopkinsville, KY to see the eclipse. It was the location with the longest totality of the eclipse. Because of that, we were able to get some incredible pictures:

1704480778921.png1704480808967.png1704480895315.png
We got the "Diamond Ring" shot!
1704480949853.png
I like this one because it looks like Pac-Man. LOL

Whatever you do, DO NOT LOOK AT THE ECLIPSE (at any time) WITH YOUR BARE EYES! You will severely damage your eyes!

Be sure to get glasses that are certified to watch a solar eclipse (ordinary sunglasses will NOT work). You can find appropriate glasses on Amazon. I suggest you get them early before supplies dwindle and prices go up.

I highly recommend this site for ALL of your eclipse questions:
Great American Eclipse

Last edited:
Is anyone in the path of the upcoming total solar eclipse this April?

We’re thinking of driving to see it. Cleveland, OH and Erie, PA hotels are either sold out or have ridiculously high rates.

A compromise would be a bit north or west of Pittsburgh, PA then drive 90 minutes into the path of totality.

I’ve been searching and both Cleveland and Erie are hosting various eclipse events. But maybe we’ll just find a Walmart parking lot in either of those areas to view it.
You're welcome to come here, Angie. We can watch it on TV, for free.

I actually was visiting USH when the 2017 eclipse happened. We were south of the band of totality, but I still had my specialized glasses with me and viewed the partial eclipse right there from the park. Oddly, I did not notice very many other park visitors paying attention; maybe a partial eclipse just doesn't pay the bills for theme park fans. And in fact, I do remember thinking to myself, "Hmm....the universe is really boring." But the glasses were cheap and it only consumed a few minutes, so overall it was worthwhile.

In 2017 my area was in the 85% ish range of totality. Except for a slight eerie feeling, there was no noticeable difference in sunlight.

Someone brought in a welder’s helmet and we took turns looking thru it. Yep, about 85% of the sun was covered.

Even if it’s cloudy or raining, the sky WILL get completely dark for a few minutes, right?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter