"Soaring" taking away from Canada

I believe so yes. I'll check it out tonight (hopefully fastpass will be working today. It wasn't last week).

Originally posted by wtg2000
There is a subliminal reason for the layout.

Firstly, America is in the middle with Mexico and Canada on each periphery. This is to point out that the U.S.A. is the centre of North America with insignificant Mexico and Canada on the edges.

Secondly, America is in between Germany/Italy and Japan, indicating that only the U.S. stood between Axis world domination during World War II.

I'm kidding. :)
But beautifully bluffed, nonetheless!

:earsboy:

There are three members of the redwood family: coast redwoods (Sequoia sempervirens) of the California coastal fog belt, giant sequoias (Sequoiadendron giganteum) of the Sierra Nevada, and dawn redwoods (Metasequoia glyptostroboides) of central China. The names sequoia and redwood are often used interchangeably, leading to confusion between the two California members of this family, but they are very different trees.

Vike, I already corrected myself. Your Google kungfu is weak.

But that having been said. That statement is blatantly wrong. They are all from the same or sameish family.

GAH! I had a whole post written out, but it didn't upload, and I can't get it back.

All I'm saying is that as it stands, Soarin' breaks the sightlines, and I hope that something does go up. I'm not saying it won't, I'm saying I hope it does.

And Searcher - I know perfectly well that it's going in Future World. I understand it's not part of Canada, but that doesn't mean that it can't be seen from Canada.

Originally posted by exDS vet If you want to see Canada without the skyline obstructions then go to Canada.
Perfect. Thank you. :D

I have seen Soarin' over California many times, and I am originally from California. The attraction fits well at DCA. I have said before that I feel this attraction is a Disney masterpiece, and it will also be a great fit at The Land, since a vast majority of the film focuses on nature.
Agreed, on all counts.

And why doesn't Morocco light up during Illuminations?
The last country to be added to IllumiNations (that is, the last one to receive rim lighting) was UK. Neither Norway nor Morocco were lighted. Norway was originally supposed to get PANI projectors, like Germany (gingerbread house) and Canada (maple leaves) had, which is part of the reason that there is such a large flat, unadorned surface on the castle front. But then they changed IllumiNations, and the PANIs were dropped. Morocco was supposed to get rim lighting, but when they switched out IllumiNations (to Illum 2000), they didn't add them because the rim lighting wasn't supposed to have a large role in the new show. Plus, without rim lights in Morocco, it helped balance out the fact that there were no lights in Norway. So ... a case of aesthetics meeting cost.

:earsboy:

***"Vike, I already corrected myself. Your Google kungfu is weak."***

Yeah, I hate it when my job delays my posting.

Originally posted by exDS vet
If you want to see Canada without the skyline obstructions then go to Canada.

I actually live about 30 minutes away from the Canadian border, but thanks for the tip!

You can't see the Soarin' building from The Land, or Canada. The only place you can see that building is from the opposite side of World Showcase Lagoon. I too hope they enhance the building to look like the Rockies, it woiuld improve the view of Canada from across the lagoon. It's a huge building though, someone said only 2 stories, it's more like 4 or 5 stories.

***" It's a huge building though, someone said only 2 stories, it's more like 4 or 5 stories."***

In DL, the building is probably 2, maybe 3 stories above ground. But as someone already posted, when you enter the building,the que is a continual down hill journey so there is probably two stories or more underground. CA doesn't have the high water table though that Florida deals with so I imagine thats one reason so much is above ground.

The queue for Soarin' in DCA is, at most, 1 level below ground. The attraction raises you more than 40 feet in the air. Allow for head room and all the mechanics of the attraction, that building is at least 4 stories.

If you are standing facing The Land, yes you can see "Soarin".

I've been on the one at DL. It is such an amazing ride that any obstructions of views should be forgiven!

Maybe they will add a facade on the world showcase side to blend with Canada. We really just don't know yet, so don't get angry yet. When there ends up being no facade I will be angry with you!

PS Norway does have both lighting and strobes during Reflections of Earth.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter