"Soaring" taking away from Canada

mickeyfantroy

Earning My Ears
I was at EPCOT yesterday and noticed something disturbing. We were standing at the lagoon near Germany and noticed the steel skeleton behind the Canadian Pavilion that I guess is the new 'Soaring' attraction. The castle has always been so picturesque so hopefully the imagneers have something in mind as to not be too distracting. Has anyone else noticed this? My friend is hoping they put a facade on the new buiding similar to the rocks that are on the O Canada circlevision theater so that it looks like a mountain behind the castle.

I noticed this when the cranes first went up, the new attraction seems awfully close to Canada. I always thought that Canada had one of the best views out of all the pavillions, I hope they have some sort of plan!

Wait, I thought Soarin was going in at The Land?

Soarin doesn't need to be a particularly tall building.
It's not very big at DCA.

Soarin' will ruin the Canadian skyline from certain angles unless they mask it with a cloaking device! But then Eisner had no qualms about ruining France and Morocco from certain angles with the Swan and Dolphin so I'm not surprised.

Does anyone have a map or picture illustrating this? As I said, Soarin in California is only a two story building and not all that large. I can't imagine that it is that hard to hide.

I was thinking the same thing YoHo. Maybe the OP is mistaking the cranes as part of the structure ?? I do know that the Land pavilion is set up on a hill,maybe that's what is making it visible from Canada.

What's amazing to me is that I never thought of Canada and The Land as being anywhere near each other - based on the amount of walking it takes to get to one from the other - but I guess "as the crow flies" they are actually fairly close to each other.

Originally posted by wtg2000
Soarin' will ruin the Canadian skyline from certain angles unless they mask it with a cloaking device! But then Eisner had no qualms about ruining France and Morocco from certain angles with the Swan and Dolphin so I'm not surprised.
Why does every decision come all the way back to Eisner? I know some people don't care for the guy but it's not like he is sitting in his office all day making decisions on any and every issue that arises.

The Soarin' building at DCA was built lower as they were able to dig down into the ground there. When you enter the bulding you are essentially going down hill through the whole queue untill you get to the preshow area. That probably takes off one story there.

I also would hope that they are going to disguise the side of soaring that backs up to
Canada. I also thought making more mountains would be great. I've got my fingers
crossed that they do because I really dislike seeing the swan & dolphin from inside
Epcot! I would also realy dislike a huge ugly building sitting at the back of Canada!

Kay, I now understand the layout. Still, it's just the steel structure, you have no idea how it will be themed.

Why does every decision come all the way back to Eisner?
I've read reports which stated that the Imagineers told Eisner that the Swan and Dolphin would infringe on the World Showcase skyline and that he ignored them. Then when he saw the result he told them to erect a berm - which was impossible. Eisner said he picked out the furniture for the AKL and personally supervised the parking structure at Disneyland so he is ultimately responsible for these decisions. That's what he gets his millions for. Is anyone working for the Walt Disney World Company making millions of dollars a year?

Let's hope they do paint mountains on the side - or a giant hockey puck!

I saw a picture of this somewhere on the net better than this one ..but I can't recall where I saw it...the crane obviously will be gone but you can see that the building will be visible from World Showcase...the other photo I recall seeing it was more completed and it was very visible looming over and behind Canada..I do hope they will cover it with some clouds or something to keep the view from being ruined.

Half of that is construction skeleton. It doesn't look any more obtrusive in those pics then the Current land buildings.

Now, I'm an element guy and all, but lets give em a chance to foobar this before we go on the attack. There's no themeing and the thing has crains and construction stuff surrounding it.

I'm going to say that, if you're IN Epcot, the only place it would be a real problem would be toward the very back of the park, if that.

Any other angle from the front to halfway through World Showcase wouldn't be bad I don't believe, knowing the placement of everything.

I've seen the one at Disneyland. Granted, not in person, but it looks pretty sterile.

I'm not saying that they won't hide it (as they hid many show buildings at Epcot and the Magic Kingdom) with landscaping, but knowing current management, I'm really very doubtful that it'll happen.

I'm all for Soarin' coming to the East Coast, but I hope that they don't cut corners. (We won't get into the fact that they're simply copying the film....cause while Florida is truly boring, they could easily have found SOMETHING else....great landmarks like Mt. Rushmore, Niagara Falls, the Grand Canyon....Soarin' Over America....or, move it closer to World Showcase and Soar Over the World....but we won't get into that.:crazy: )

THe show building in Anaheim is intended to represent the old Desert aviation hangers where the Jet age came of age. Places like Bakersfield Barstow and Victerville. So, it actually looks 100% right.

Of course, that ain't the most appealing look in the world, but it is fairly accurate.

move it closer to World Showcase and Soar Over the World....but we won't get into that.

They still could make it Soarin over the world at its present location. Spend the money to make a top notch film covering the world. After all Eisner said he wanted the best for himself.....I mean Disney!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter