• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

So what deals have you gotten this Christmas shopping season?

A great winter coat for $19. It likely would have cost more like $80 (an inferior coat on the same rack was going for $50), but the tag with the price was off it, and it was the only one of its kind on the rack. The overworked Target employee tried to scan it, and when it wouldn't scan, she quickly suggested $18.99 as a price & typed that in. I was happily shocked but kept a straight face. Apparently during the last shopping week before Christmas, it's all about moving customers through the lines quickly to get more product sold. I don't think this would have happened the first week of January.

That reminded me that I got a new coat this year. It was regularly $200 but I got it for $36. It was on clearance and then had an extra 50% off. I don't normally shop at Abercrombie but I needed a warm parka and the price was right! It isn't Christmas gift though.

I also got my DS the VR system for PS4. Are these additional controllers for the VR? I feel like I already spent a small fortune with getting the PS4, VR, extra games and one extra PS4 controller.
Yes, extra controllers for the VR. (I'm not sure you 'have' to have them but DH said we did.) The controllers are included in the Elder Scrolls V and Worlds bundles (not with Doom or Gran Turismo). And you just reminded me we need the extra PS4 controller - ugg. It all does add up. At least ours is the big gift for all three of our kids - makes it a little less painful.

I got a somewhat strange deal yesterday at Kroger. I popped in to buy a turkey so I could be sure it was thawed by the weekend. They were .99/lb with your Kroger Plus Card. The price tag was $22.xx without the card or $13.xx with the card. I used the U-Scan and it rang up the higher price even though I had scanned my card. I waved the lady over and she fiddled with it and couldn't figure out why it hadn't taken the lower price. She told me their policy is that if something rings up wrong to give it to you free if it is under $10 or $10 off it is over. So, I got a 13-lb honeysuckle white turkey for $3!!

I got a somewhat strange deal yesterday at Kroger. I popped in to buy a turkey so I could be sure it was thawed by the weekend. They were .99/lb with your Kroger Plus Card. The price tag was $22.xx without the card or $13.xx with the card. I used the U-Scan and it rang up the higher price even though I had scanned my card. I waved the lady over and she fiddled with it and couldn't figure out why it hadn't taken the lower price. She told me their policy is that if something rings up wrong to give it to you free if it is under $10 or $10 off it is over. So, I got a 13-lb honeysuckle white turkey for $3!!

WOW!! That’s great!!!

I got a ton of stuff at kohls the other day. Somehow the cashier gave me both deals, 30% off for my Kohls charge & 20% for spending over $100. I spent $150 and "saved" over $400! Wish I had bought more stuff. I went again last night for a couple things & I only got the 30%.

I got a ton of stuff at kohls the other day. Somehow the cashier gave me both deals, 30% off for my Kohls charge & 20% for spending over $100. I spent $150 and "saved" over $400! Wish I had bought more stuff. I went again last night for a couple things & I only got the 30%.

That happened to me once at Kohls too - I thought I had hit the jackpot. I had a coupon and there was the same coupon attached to my Kohls cash that I didn't realize was there - the clerk scanned them both and they both took 20% off my total. I'm surprised their computer system isn't smart enough to catch it, but I'm glad for me (and you) that it isn't.

I only bought a few things this year and had very particular things in mind. And I didn't find any deals at all. I looked online for coupon codes for my online purchases. But the free shipping and deals were only for higher dollar orders. (Phillips Hue light bulb starter kits -- bought two of these in store -- didn't see deals/sales) // national park lifetime senior pass ($10 more with buying online vs. going to a park to purchase) // I should have bought before August as there was a big price increase, but I really don't mind supporting our National parks (still a fantastic deal though if you go regularly to National parks and this was the first time someone in our family qualifies for the senior pass (had a birthday)) // Harry and David gift basket that includes pears-- smaller size -- deals and free shipping coupons I found online were only for larger orders. And I would have spent more for a bigger gift basket of the type I sent with a discount than I spent and really just wanted the smaller size for the little family. I signed up for a 10% off coupon for anything that I only received via email a day after I made my purchase, so if I had waited I might have saved $6.00. // Sees Candy - no deals on my one little peanut brittle order and I had to pay for shipping too. Luckily I only had to pay for regular shipping given how close to Christmas I ordered. I ordered by phone and their website said I was in the premium shipping period, but they charged me standard shipping. // Broadway tickets -- lucky to get retail from Ticketmaster and Telecharge vs. scalper prices -- The popular shows we were interested in weren't discounted and per TripAdvisor destination experts don't discount.

This is the first year I remember where I really and truly got no deals whatsoever for Christmas shopping. Anyone else? I will say, though, that overall I spent less on gifts at Christmas than I usually do. But that was due to buying for fewer people, buying less for the people that I buy for, and buying less expensive things for the people that I buy for. I certainly had no great finds.

Had a great time doing stockings at HMart yesterday...for $40, I filled 6 stockings:)...

I grabbed Pocky Sticks, Hello Panda cookies, 2 more "stick" cookies, another regular cookie, shrimp crackers, wasabi peas, packs of ramen and pho, packs of instant porridge, 2 types of chewy fruit candy, 1 Cadbury Honeycomb crunchy chocolate candy, and a different crazy "soda" for everyone (although I got myself Thai Iced Tea - coconut, guava, and grass jelly soda for spouse were a little too crazy for me)...I'm sure some of these will fail completely...but I think everyone will have an awesome time unpacking their stockings and trying everything over the holiday. I never go to Hmart and let them pick out more than 1 treat (since I go there for cheap produce, fish, and marinated meats), so they are gonna be so excited!

And WAY cheaper than some of those "buy over the internet" snack boxes...I mean, Hmart had all these things on crazy, stupid cheap sales (like 99 cents for the 2.5 oz pocky), so I probably grabbed more than I planned and can fit (I have to wait to try to fit in the stockings after kids are in bed Christmas eve b/c I don't want to have to wrap them).

Only other thing in the stockings are $10 GCs to the local comic book store (were free with me prebuying my normal comic box worth in gift card form for Jan/Feb), and these might be the cheapest, but coolest, stockings I've ever done:)...

(Yes, I took my original gift idea for my older girls and just expanded for everyone b/c I realized I had nothing for stockings and my son was REALLY looking forward to the stockings - no idea why b/c they are never that great - and the girls didn't need another "gift" from Santa or Mom b/c I do the "even" thing for boxes:)...

Last edited:
Yes, extra controllers for the VR. (I'm not sure you 'have' to have them but DH said we did.) The controllers are included in the Elder Scrolls V and Worlds bundles (not with Doom or Gran Turismo). And you just reminded me we need the extra PS4 controller - ugg. It all does add up. At least ours is the big gift for all three of our kids - makes it a little less painful.
Thanks. I decided to wait on those until his birthday in March since we have already spent a small fortune on gifts, a pre-Christmas trip to Universal and Punta Cana for the holiday. Walmart has the VR on sale for $179 so i’ll Return the one to Kohl’s when we return from the DR and he opens his presents.

For a brief time, the Uggs website had 60% off due to a code getting out that was not supposed to. I got a pair of $160 Uggs for $75.00 which included tax and expedited shipping!

Last deal I got - $2.50/4oz lobster tails (got 4 - $10 for 1lb of fresh lobster tails when I don't live near lobster country - so wonderful!) and crab cakes (18oz for $10) - made for a wonderful Christmas Eve dinner with some cheap strawberries, bananas, and bakery bread:)...family was SO happy with this meal (I said it was uber-special, b/c this is not something we can afford as a group of 6, but it worked out:)...it didn't even take all that much effort...

1st time I ever made lobster tails, and they were awesome!:)

My best deal was a Miracurl hair curling wand for my DD. I saw an Ipsy tutorial on it and decided to get it for her. The cheapest price I could find was $100 at Walmart. Other places had it for $120. Then I walked into TJMaxx looking for something else and there it was for $59!!!!! Score!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter