So wait... now they are giving new discounts to AP holders, but won't let us buy AP's?

Thanks for helping clear up my confusion. Now I need to do some math and figure out if direct is worth it.

It's a personal choice. What many do is buy the minimum you need at that time to qualify for a blue card. Once you have one, you are grandfathered in from future "raises" in minimum requirements. Then they purchase any further points in resale. Some (like me) just prefer direct. finally many find that the benefits are not worth the cost of the blue card.

If you do not care to go to member events and the like... The "discounts" that we get on merch for DVC are often overpowered by the AP discounts (or at least matched). So if you are buying AP's the merch discounts often do not help you (of course anything could change). Assuming TIW is brought back, that also gives better discounts than DVC alone. So the biggest discount I have found is in the Gold AP pass - and remember that gold pass has some restrictions on it.

Just some things to think about. I am not arguing either way - as I mentioned, for reasons of my own, I only purchase Direct.

Thanks for helping clear up my confusion. Now I need to do some math and figure out if direct is worth it.
Honestly, I think the biggest perk currently is being able to stay at future DVC properties. If they continue the Riviera restrictions on new properties, you will miss out on any new property. You will only be able to stay at the original 14 properties. I imagine one day there will be a few more DVC properties at WDW and some international properties as well.

For me, the only reason to buy direct would be to access the GOLD annual pass. Is it typically around $450 less than a non-discounted Platinum pass? According to the last prices posted on WDWINFO, a non-discounted platinum is $1,195 and a gold is $719. If those are typical prices, then it makes sense to buy 150 top up points direct from Disney. If those prices aren't typical, then I will have to rethink this.

In terms of not selling AP's but allowing those who already are cardholders to get hotel room discounts? That's shady.

In terms of not selling AP's but allowing those who already are cardholders to get hotel room discounts? That's shady.

Im confused as to why? If I am already an AP holder than I am eligible for the discount.

Not sure how the suspension would equate to not offering those who hold the AP discounts.

For me, the only reason to buy direct would be to access the GOLD annual pass. Is it typically around $450 less than a non-discounted Platinum pass? According to the last prices posted on WDWINFO, a non-discounted platinum is $1,195 and a gold is $719. If those are typical prices, then it makes sense to buy 150 top up points direct from Disney. If those prices aren't typical, then I will have to rethink this.
Even if those are typical prices, no one knows what the prices will be when they start selling APs again. There's lots of speculation that the prices could be substantially increased. I'm just waiting to see as I bought into DVC after the reopening. ...and waiting...and waiting...and waiting.

Just popping in to say I am waiting and frustrated too by lack of AP Sales. We have 3 trips planned within next 10 months and sadly I’ll have to cancel some if AP doesn’t return. Hopefully soon!!!!

Even if those are typical prices, no one knows what the prices will be when they start selling APs again. There's lots of speculation that the prices could be substantially increased. I'm just waiting to see as I bought into DVC after the reopening. ...and waiting...and waiting...and waiting.
There seems to be so much up in the air right now. We have sent a resale contract to Disney for ROFR and are already considering our second contract. The upcoming DVC service closure has me extremely nervous, as does this business with the 2022 point charts, and now all of the confusion with APs and the future of fastpasses.....it seems like I may have picked the worst time to start with DVC. My anxiety level is through the roof right now!

Based on your other response to me in a different thread, you got the AP because you were eligible for the recovery AP since you canceled in 2020 and took a refund.

Its not available to everyone yet since those who didn’t have them in 2020 are still not allowed.

We let ours expire in 2020. If we call to see if we can renew it, would it become active immediately, or would it wait until you first use it like when we first bought?

We let ours expire in 2020. If we call to see if we can renew it, would it become active immediately, or would it wait until you first use it like when we first bought?

If it expired after the closure, then you will be able to get a new AP that will start when you go. It would not be a renewal.

Call the pass holder line and mention you believe you are eligible for the recovery AP. They will have someone call you back.

There seems to be so much up in the air right now. We have sent a resale contract to Disney for ROFR and are already considering our second contract. The upcoming DVC service closure has me extremely nervous, as does this business with the 2022 point charts, and now all of the confusion with APs and the future of fastpasses.....it seems like I may have picked the worst time to start with DVC. My anxiety level is through the roof right now!
Don't let it get to you too much. Although I've had my contracts less than a year, and the last year has probably been the worst time for getting the most out of your membership, I don't regret it at all. I have a resort only stay coming up and plan to enjoy the time on vacation regardless of not going to parks. Just can't keep buying park tickets while waiting on APs to start selling again. I think of it like going on vacation where there isn't a theme park and doing all kinds of other things. Plus, I keep in mind that I have yeeeeeaaaaarrrrs to enjoy DVC. This is just a bump in the road. The closure is super inconvenient, but IT will (keeping fingers crossed) hopefully be better afterwards. I'm trying to keep fastpasses in perspective in that if we have to wait in long lines for certain rides because I won't spend extreme amounts of money (if that turns out to be the case) on the fastpass, then we'll be back because of DVC so we'll go on what we missed next time. Comparing that to the many years where I couldn't come to Disney, let alone stay at a Deluxe, because it was just too expensive helps me keep the anxiety at bay. Big picture view instead of tiny details. 🤗

Yeah, I feel you... we recently bought DVC and we cannot get AP. We have never had one before... I have multiple trips planned, I am soo hoping we can get Gold AP it will save us money.

Don't let it get to you too much. Although I've had my contracts less than a year, and the last year has probably been the worst time for getting the most out of your membership, I don't regret it at all. I have a resort only stay coming up and plan to enjoy the time on vacation regardless of not going to parks. Just can't keep buying park tickets while waiting on APs to start selling again. I think of it like going on vacation where there isn't a theme park and doing all kinds of other things. Plus, I keep in mind that I have yeeeeeaaaaarrrrs to enjoy DVC. This is just a bump in the road. The closure is super inconvenient, but IT will (keeping fingers crossed) hopefully be better afterwards. I'm trying to keep fastpasses in perspective in that if we have to wait in long lines for certain rides because I won't spend extreme amounts of money (if that turns out to be the case) on the fastpass, then we'll be back because of DVC so we'll go on what we missed next time. Comparing that to the many years where I couldn't come to Disney, let alone stay at a Deluxe, because it was just too expensive helps me keep the anxiety at bay. Big picture view instead of tiny details. 🤗

I bought my RIV contract in Sept 2019. I've taken two trips since, one with parks and one without.

I was able to book a last minute, resort only, split stay on Memorial Day weekend at AKL Jambo and Copper Creek. All the parks were booked solid plus I didn't want to spend that amount of money on tickets when I'm waiting for AP's for my Nov & Jan trips.

I had such a great time! I loved spending time at each resort and getting more pool time. I walked around Disney Springs and the boardwalk, rode the Skyliner and explored those resorts. I ate at Sanaa, California Grill, Geyser point and various quick services.

I definitely want to have more non-park days in the future. Owning DVC relieves some of the pressure I put on myself to go-go-go in the parks, because I know I'll be back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter