So sad...

I admire you for all your emotions for your husbands cousin. I bearly know most of my DH's cousins. I lost my uncle a couple of weeks ago, so I've gone through this recently too. Bless you

We had a beautiful and dignified Mass this morning, then headed to GW Memorial Park to lay our cousin and good friend to rest. George's plot is very close to where his mother and sister are, and next to the golf course, so it's also apropos as George was an avid golfer.

His coworkers were the pallbearers, then our older nephew did one reading and George's stepbrother did the other. My parents-in-law brought the offering up to the altar; that was a highly emotional moment because my MIL was crying and shaking horribly while she did it.

Anna, it was just like you said--so intensely sad and surreal. When we sat in the funeral home this morning gazing in silence at him for the last time, I felt like I was deep inside a dream; it just didn't seem like it could possibly be happening.

Glad you got through the day :hug: I agree with the hardest being today. But still a long journey of grief and all that comes with it~ may you all start the healing.

Remember that we all grieve in different ways & none are wrong. Some people like to talk about our lost ones a lot & some don't. Whichever one makes you feel better is the right one for you. I lost a good friend in a car accident 3 years ago & I still haven't deleted her phone number from my phone. Ironically, her number was given to another friend, but in my contacts, it still has the name of my deceased friend. I know that kinda weird, but it keeps her memory alive for me.

That's sweet of you to keep your friend's number, Heatherwillmom. :hug:

When we went up to the casket for the last time, I squeezed George's wrist and asked him to watch over us because we can't go through this again anytime soon. It's too painful.

One day next week, I'm going to stop by the cemetery to make sure everything is O.K. That must sound nuts, but it's something I always do when we bury someone. GW Memorial Park is close to my office, and I often have business in Bergen Community College, so I might be able to fit a visit into doing something over there.

I'm still searching for some meaning and glimmer of hope out of this whole thing. One thing I can say is that I feel closer than ever before to my "nephew." (He was really George's nephew--I guess he's technically our second cousin) He's such a sweet boy. At the repast, he goes, "I hope Heaven has IHOPs for Uncle George." We laughed at that.

He's so cute; I can hardly wait to take him to Disney World in August and show him a good time. He and my son were so good throughout this ordeal, they deserve a great trip.

Sounds like you're hanging in there~
Planning and looking forward to a Disney trip can be healing, so that's great you are getting to. Your "nephew" is blessed to have you all in his life loving him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter