So much Disney food is terrible

Ale and Compass restaurant at Yacht Club has a nice breakfast….we love the Dark Chocolate waffles with cherries!
I've heard it's better since they remodeled.

Went to breakfast there before the re imagining?, and the standard breakfast wasn't bad. But, they were doing the hard sell on some little AYCE breakfast bar in the back room It was a tiny bar with powdered eggs and limp bacon.

Epcot's festival kitchens are always a good idea, IMO, and if it's a time when there aren't any, I like many of the QS restaurants around World Showcase. Again, it's not gourmet, but it beats "typical theme park food."
OP here - yes, we had a number of things from the festival kitchens and they were all good and I would re-order except for two options from Mexico.

Personally I feel like there are SOOO many food options at WDW that it's near impossible to say a blanket statement like "Disney food is terrible." Some food is terrible, yes, but some is quite good. And that is the case at most Theme Parks, Amusement parks, resort destinations in general. I personally feel like there's more good food than bad, but you definitely have to know where to look.

That all being said, everyone is 1000% entitled to their opinion. Something I'd suggest for those who don't care for the QS at Disney, check out the snacks. There are TONS of underrated, inexpensive snacks and other meal hacks at Disney outside of the main restaurants. Check out Disney Food Blog on YouTube. They have lots of free videos pointing out some great ways to save money on Disney food.
OP here - I specifically didn’t say it was all terrible, because I don’t think that. If you’re staying at a resort, though, it is frustrating that the food options really aren’t that good if you want a quick meal versus a table service meal at a signature restaurant.

It is just my opinion that the food doesn’t taste that good - folks (not you) have taken this very personally. throughout this thread people have implied or stated that I’m frugal, conversely that I’m a snob, have no taste, lack basic travel skills, and, most recently, that I would assault a two year old. I’m conviction free and have travelled extensively in Canada, the US, Asia, and Europe and did a brief foray into Africa. I’ve also been to Disney many times. I know there are videos and hacks, and think your tip about snacks is a good one. However, I also think it proves my point a bit - if you need to do all that research in order to ensure you’re going to get good food, good food is the exception not the norm.

Last edited:
OP here - I specifically didn’t say it was all terrible, because I don’t think that. If you’re staying at a resort, though, it is frustrating that the food options really aren’t that good if you want a quick meal versus a table service meal at a signature restaurant.

Actually, my opinion could be a little colored because I eat hardly any QS.

Maybe there's a lot of terrible food, I'm just not putting myself in a position to eat it.

For years we would have 3 table service meals a day. Except for basic breakfasts at Resort Counter Service spots, Roaring Fork, Mara, etc, we just aren't going to QS. In countless trips to MK we've only eaten counter service there once, years ago I had the rotisserie chicken at Cosmic Ray's, at the time it was good. Only eaten at one QS at Animal Kingdom, Satuli Canteen, we like that. Same with Studios, the only QS we've eaten at is Docking Bay 7 and it's pretty good.

I guess there's lots of places I have a feeling the food could be terrible and I just don't go there.

It is just my opinion that the food doesn’t taste that good - folks (not you) have taken this very personally. throughout this thread people have implied or stated that I’m frugal, conversely that I’m a snob, have no taste, lack basic travel skills, and, most recently, that I would assault a two year old. I’m conviction free and have travelled extensively in Canada, the US, Asia, and Europe and did a brief foray into Africa. I’ve also been to Disney many times. I know there are videos and hacks, and think your tip about snacks is a good one. However, I also think it proves my point a bit - if you need to do all that research in order to ensure you’re going to get good food, good food is the exception not the norm.
Yeah I think I'm similar to @Robber Baron. I've gone to Disney so much over my life (I worked there for 2 years too so lived and breathed it for a bit) that I for sure have blinders to the bad food, since I already know what is good (at least to me) and just ignore the other stuff. But I certainly get what you're saying. Many of the resorts, especially the value and moderates, are very lacking food-wise. And the resort is so sprawling, getting to the good food can take some considerable effort.

And TBH, I've hit up that McDonalds near AK many times for food when I wanted a QS type option that didn't cost an arm and a leg. Also, I've ventured off prop for easy cheaper food plenty of times. Matter of fact this Friday we'll be hitting up Miller's Ale House just off property. One of my favorite local sports bars.

I've heard it's better since they remodeled.

Went to breakfast there before the re imagining?, and the standard breakfast wasn't bad. But, they were doing the hard sell on some little AYCE breakfast bar in the back room It was a tiny bar with powdered eggs and limp bacon.
Actually you can order just your breakfast entrees or pay $23 and get any entree plus the AYCE breakfast bar which includes a beverage, fresh fruit, pastries, mini muffins, croissants, oatmeal, yogurt with toppings, biscuits and gravy. Also there is big bowl of apples, bananas, oranges that you can grab for later…

Actually you can order just your breakfast entrees or pay $23 and get any entree plus the AYCE breakfast bar which includes a beverage, fresh fruit, pastries, mini muffins, croissants, oatmeal, yogurt with toppings, biscuits and gravy. Also there is big bowl of apples, bananas, oranges that you can grab for later…
The best breakfast deal at the resort tbh.

Ahhh yes The irrational hate of the Dining Plan folks once again makes an appearance. LOL we DDP abusing rif raf are responsible for it all too.
Except the dining plan = cost constraints for the chefs. Before the Dining Plan, chefs were less constrained. WDW streamlined to make the plan feasible.

There is no reason to interpret that reality as a complaint against WDW's customers. The chefs have to keep food costs in budget.🤷‍♂️

I have stayed at every Disney World resort except for the All Star resorts. If people are upset about resort food fine. Some are better than others. However, its the blanket statement that Disney food is terrible is what draws my fire.
Still, isn't it okay to say there is room for improvement? The way I see it, Disney is missing opportunities to be better for everyone, especially Disney.

WDW would be a better place if they kept more of the festival offerings year-round after the festivals end. Use the festival as a testing ground for new menu items, but mostly they don't do that. The festival had several delicious offerings this year, that I would love to see offered year-round.

A few years back the Japan booth offered a sweet called a taiyaki fish. It is basically a crispy fish-shaped waffle filled with ice cream and sometimes an additional filling. Since then, the Japan booth has had different sweets every year. No taiyaki. There is no reason WDW couldn't sell them year round, even if they don't make them fresh as they did during the festival, Since the festival I discovered several brands of pre-packaged Taiyaki that are excellent! They come individually wrapped, and somehow the waffles are even crispy. The product already exists.

This year the Epcot festival had a delicious smoothie, sold at the (year-round) booth outside the Land that sells pretzels. The Florida smoothie was considerably better than WDW's usual sugar-water slush. It was a festival special, but I just checked, and it looks like WDW has made it a part of the year-round menu, assuming the online menu is correct.

Another offering that was very good was the strawberry shortcake. I love strawberries, so I always look for them when I visit, but usually they are hard to find. The shortcake was offered at the FL produce booth. Years ago, the Sunshine Tree Terrace was a way to promote FL produce, and I've long felt there was a missed opportunity that would benefit both the FL farmers and WDW.

Last summer Universal added a new Minions themed popsicle stand that sells excellent frozen fruit Minions themed popsicles. The mango, strawberry, and lemon/mint are especially delicious and fruity. Some of the popsicles also have adorable Minions theming, and are a brilliant way to offer food that is fun, delicious, and perhaps even a bit healthy.

I've also long wondered why WDW doesn't sell better quality kettle-corn style popcorn. The folks at a local farmer's market do very well selling bags of the stuff. I was deeply disappointed though when I tried the version sold in HS. It is woefully artificial tasting, and artificial looking. The Dumbo area would be the perfect place for a kettlecorn stand.

Last edited:
I guess we have differing opinions on the OP. I surely do not see them as a driver of change.
Okay, but why go further down the rabbit hole? Skipping the thread is one option, but there are also countless ways to make positive suggestions on the topic of food. Some people listed their favorite places to eat, for example. Others have suggested delivery and groceries as workarounds.

MK is about to open the new Tiana ride, they have an opportunity to add new foods themed to Tiana.

Writers are often advised to show instead of telling. Posting to this thread is an opportunity to discuss the topic of WDW food in ways that are useful and helpful, if useful is what we want this forum to be.

Feels a little like rage bait. :)

I don't think the food is good from a value proposition, but we rate it above McDonald's. Everyone has different tastes. Vote with your dollars, and if enough people feel the same way Disney will make changes.
I daresay, that is exactly why they brought the DDP back. It might not be what we all wanted, but it does appear to be an effort on WDW's part to encourage more on-property dining.

And TBH, I've hit up that McDonalds near AK many times for food when I wanted a QS type option that didn't cost an arm and a leg. Also, I've ventured off prop for easy cheaper food plenty of times. Matter of fact this Friday we'll be hitting up Miller's Ale House just off property. One of my favorite local sports bars.
I've suggested Miller's as an option many times! It is just basic pub food, and a chain, but a big plus is that they are open late. IMO. WDW is a food desert at 11pm. It can be a real problem when ones' evening flight is very delayed due to storms, or you're in the parks past 10pm.

We've placed orders to Miller's from the WDW theme park parking lots and Miller's usually has our food ready by the time we arrive.

I am also eager to try a new Italian restaurant in Flamingo Crossing that is/was started by the same company that runs Tutto Italia, Via Napoli, and Space 220, especially since it is also open late.

Okay, but why go further down the rabbit hole? Skipping the thread is one option, but there are also countless ways to make positive suggestions on the topic of food. Some people listed their favorite places to eat, for example. Others have suggested delivery and groceries as workarounds.

MK is about to open the new Tiana ride, they have an opportunity to add new foods themed to Tiana.

Writers are often advised to show instead of telling. Posting to this thread is an opportunity to discuss the topic of WDW food in ways that are useful and helpful, if useful is what we want this forum to be.
I guess the OP not posting in the first place was an option also and you not commenting was an option too. Everyone can voice an opinion as long as it is in line with the rules of the board. I've posted a lot about the food we have enjoyed and posted pics. I think there is a LOT of good food at DW. We have only had one meal in all of our trips that we did not like. Not that it was bad, we just tried something new and it wasn't for us.

Still, isn't it okay to say there is room for improvement? The way I see it, Disney is missing opportunities to be better for everyone, especially Disney.

WDW would be a better place if they kept more of the festival offerings year-round after the festivals end. Use the festival as a testing ground for new menu items, but mostly they don't do that. The festival had several delicious offerings this year, that I would love to see offered year-round.

A few years back the Japan booth offered a sweet called a taiyaki fish. It is basically a crispy fish-shaped waffle filled with ice cream and sometimes an additional filling. Since then, the Japan booth has had different sweets every year. No taiyaki. There is no reason WDW couldn't sell them year round, even if they don't make them fresh as they did during the festival, Since the festival I discovered several brands of pre-packaged Taiyaki that are excellent! They come individually wrapped, and somehow the waffles are even crispy. The product already exists.

This year the Epcot festival had a delicious smoothie, sold at the (year-round) booth outside the Land that sells pretzels. The Florida smoothie was considerably better than WDW's usual sugar-water slush. It was a festival special, but I just checked, and it looks like WDW has made it a part of the year-round menu, assuming the online menu is correct.

Another offering that was very good was the strawberry shortcake. I love strawberries, so I always look for them when I visit, but usually they are hard to find. The shortcake was offered at the FL produce booth. Years ago, the Sunshine Tree Terrace was a way to promote FL produce, and I've long felt there was a missed opportunity that would benefit both the FL farmers and WDW.

Last summer Universal added a new Minions themed popsicle stand that sells excellent frozen fruit Minions themed popsicles. The mango, strawberry, and lemon/mint are especially delicious and fruity. Some of the popsicles also have adorable Minions theming, and are a brilliant way to offer food that is fun, delicious, and perhaps even a bit healthy.

I've also long wondered why WDW doesn't sell better quality kettle-corn style popcorn. The folks at a local farmer's market do very well selling bags of the stuff. I was deeply disappointed though when I tried the version sold in HS. It is woefully artificial tasting, and artificial looking. The Dumbo area would be the perfect place for a kettlecorn stand.

Honestly, it is about logistics. You have 160,000 visitors to Parks on every day. How reasonable is it to expect ready to eat food prepared quickly. And to price it reasonably. My local BBQ joint, smokes their hamburger patties and their meat is never frozen. Of course its delicious and made when you order it and its more expensive. Imagine having to do that on the scale that Disney does? Unless you want people waiting 30 minutes after ordering and complaining about paying 40 percent more than they do now, I think folks are dreaming that Disney does this..

I guess the OP not posting in the first place was an option also and you not commenting was an option too. Everyone can voice an opinion as long as it is in line with the rules of the board. I've posted a lot about the food we have enjoyed and posted pics. I think there is a LOT of good food at DW. We have only had one meal in all of our trips that we did not like. Not that it was bad, we just tried something new and it wasn't for us.

Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Food is subjective, to a degree. You may like limp unsalted crinkle cut frozen fries. Your opinion isn’t wrong, but it’s the minority view among foodies for sure. The better way to look at it is “why am I wasting my time in a thread defending Disney’s food?” It’s probably because you love Disney and want to defend it, more so than you just love Disney food and want to profess your love to the world. There were a lot of absolutely disrespectful comments to the OP for just wanting to vent about food.

And a lot of the comments in the thread came across as whiney, complaining, and hyperbolic (especially when we’re using restaurants like McDonalds as a comparison point).

The OP acknowledged throughout the thread that her focus is more on the lack of value for her perceived quality of the food. Something tells me if she had said, “A lot of the food that we’ve tried we just don’t see the value for the expense. I know this varies by person, but where have you seen the best value?”, the thread is completely different.

Usually makes for an easy target to comment when it’s perceived as a complaint thread , especially when people are gathered on a website primarily because of their passion for Disney.

And a lot of the comments in the thread came across as whiney, complaining, and hyperbolic (especially when we’re using restaurants like McDonalds as a comparison point).

Ah, ok, so they totally deserved rude comments.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter