• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

So I have cleared the Egypt wait list

goodcat

Earning My Ears
... for spring break. My dream vacay, my dream travel time period. Would anyone at this point consider a deposit. I am tempted, but I have already lost money trying to get to this itinerary before, and I am a little gunshy.

Just to make sure I've got this right: You put yourself on the waitlist for a sold out Egypt departure, which goes exactly when you want, and you just found out you got in? But now you're not sure you want to go? Or are you just gun shy to put down a deposit because it's been cancelled in the past? I get that; I've had ABD departures cancelled on me, and I lost money on the most recent cancellation. And honestly, it just spoiled the whole anticipation for me, and I have not ever sign up for either of the cancelled departures (even though, in both cases, the alternate trip I ended up taking was better than the one I'd signed up for originally). But honestly, if it's actually your dream trip and dream time period, I say go for it. If you don't put the deposit down, I'm assuming they'll offer the spot to someone else. You might end up regretting not doing it. Are you worried about the war going on in Israel/Gaza?

I'm also curious how you ended up losing the money. Was it airfare? OYO activities you'd booked? I lost money from both of those when my Portugal ABD was cancelled.

Sayhello

Just to make sure I've got this right: You put yourself on the waitlist for a sold out Egypt departure, which goes exactly when you want, and you just found out you got in? But now you're not sure you want to go? Or are you just gun shy to put down a deposit because it's been cancelled in the past? I get that; I've had ABD departures cancelled on me, and I lost money on the most recent cancellation. And honestly, it just spoiled the whole anticipation for me, and I have not ever sign up for either of the cancelled departures (even though, in both cases, the alternate trip I ended up taking was better than the one I'd signed up for originally). But honestly, if it's actually your dream trip and dream time period, I say go for it. If you don't put the deposit down, I'm assuming they'll offer the spot to someone else. You might end up regretting not doing it. Are you worried about the war going on in Israel/Gaza?

I'm also curious how you ended up losing the money. Was it airfare? OYO activities you'd booked? I lost money from both of those when my Portugal ABD was cancelled.
I am worried about events in Gaza.

I also worry about last minute cancellation (and being left stranded en route), which I believe has happened to other guests.

My previous trip was (eventually) cancelled by TFA, who would only give me 75% credit since I initiated cancellation. They gave other guests 100% credit. I was not very savvy about it (someone told me I should have played chicken even to the point of claiming I was already en route because they eventually cancelled it because of Covid). I could not bring myself to put myself in their hands again, so I never used the credit.

... for spring break. My dream vacay, my dream travel time period. Would anyone at this point consider a deposit. I am tempted, but I have already lost money trying to get to this itinerary before, and I am a little gunshy.
I definitely understand you being gunshy. Only you can decide if this opportunity is for you now. I’m on the Dec. 19th ABD Egypt trip and repeated calls to ABD have yielded the same answer each time…ABD Egypt trips are going and have returned recently with good reviews. If the winter trips that are booked are going, I‘m not sure what would have to happen for the 2024 ones to be cancelled. I’m looking forward to my trip and enjoying reading @newfamilyman‘s National Geographic trip report and looking at youtube videos on Egypt from people who have traveled recently.

We traveled to Egypt in December 2022/2023. It was not with ABD and not during the current Gaza conflict, but if I were faced with the choice of going again now, I would. The tourist circuit in Egypt is still a long way from the war zone. And if Covid taught me anything, it's to take advantage of the time and opportunities that you have now, because they might cease to exist in the future. I also think ABD would proactively cancel if they thought there were a true danger. I think I understand that booking airfare through ABD is an option that would provide protection if they canceled. If you don't go that route, at least book an airfare category that offers you the opportunity to use the credit elsewhere if worst comes to worst. Egypt is an amazing destination and well worth visiting for anyone with a passion for travel. (I also have a video from our trip on Youtube - happy to share the link if it would be of any use to you.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter