Snorkeling/Freediving Question

Tatebeck

Mouseketeer
We recently went on a trip to Fiji and loved the snorkeling and freediving (snorkeling without a life jacket, where you can dive down and explore as long as you can hold your breath before coming back up)

Hawaii should be similar in the quality of the water and fish, so I had a question for those who have been there.

Do any of the snorkeling locations either at the hotel or on an excursion allow you to snorkel and freedive without a life jacket? I can get a decent way down even with a life jacket if required but there really is nothing like swimming down there with the fish! (under the sea)

We are scuba divers and snorkelers, but our kids (8, 12) are pretty new to snorkeling. At Rainbow Reef they make you wear the vest, but no one says you have to put any air in it. In the lagoon/beach area, if you go out toward the rocks and ropes on either side you can see some fish and no one tells you what you can/can't do (other than don't go outside of the lagoon). It was a little murky when we were there but we saw a sea turtle a couple times, and some fish. (Not as obviously as rainbow reef, of course). We just went with our swim goggles.

I would echo exactly what "kboo" said above. When there is good water clarity, you can see some great fish on the left and right sides where the ocean water enters the lagoon (the middle inlet is roped off because that's where the excursion boat goes in and out). I also saw a sea turtle once - beautiful! Aulani asks you to wear a vest when snorkeling in the lagoon, but they don't make you. But here's an additional option (and you can look at this in the maps app on your phone - satellite view). If you follow the footpath around the Four Seasons resort and head north from Aulani's lagoon, there's more snorkeling. Go past "Secret Beach" - it's pretty, but it's open ocean and the currents are really strong and the rocks really sharp. But keep going a little more north and you will come to a hidden gem of a shallow inlet protect by a rock wall. the water is between 1 and 6 feet deep and there were some good fish in there when I last visited. You can also keep going north up to the Paradise Cove public beach for a little more snorkeling. Enjoy!

We are scuba divers and snorkelers, but our kids (8, 12) are pretty new to snorkeling. At Rainbow Reef they make you wear the vest, but no one says you have to put any air in it. In the lagoon/beach area, if you go out toward the rocks and ropes on either side you can see some fish and no one tells you what you can/can't do (other than don't go outside of the lagoon). It was a little murky when we were there but we saw a sea turtle a couple times, and some fish. (Not as obviously as rainbow reef, of course). We just went with our swim goggles.
I didn't know they were inflatable! Most of the ones I've used while snorkeling were foam and couldn't be deflated. That is a game changer! Thank you!
I would echo exactly what "kboo" said above. When there is good water clarity, you can see some great fish on the left and right sides where the ocean water enters the lagoon (the middle inlet is roped off because that's where the excursion boat goes in and out). I also saw a sea turtle once - beautiful! Aulani asks you to wear a vest when snorkeling in the lagoon, but they don't make you. But here's an additional option (and you can look at this in the maps app on your phone - satellite view). If you follow the footpath around the Four Seasons resort and head north from Aulani's lagoon, there's more snorkeling. Go past "Secret Beach" - it's pretty, but it's open ocean and the currents are really strong and the rocks really sharp. But keep going a little more north and you will come to a hidden gem of a shallow inlet protect by a rock wall. the water is between 1 and 6 feet deep and there were some good fish in there when I last visited. You can also keep going north up to the Paradise Cove public beach for a little more snorkeling. Enjoy!
Great info, thanks! Do you or does anyone else know of any areas with deeper water with good snorkeling? Closer to 20 feet maybe for freediving?

Do any of the snorkeling locations either at the hotel or on an excursion allow you to snorkel and freedive without a life jacket? I can get a decent
Buy your own snorkel vest (amazon $20 and up). Inflate when you're snorkeling. Release the air when you want to dive. Inflate when you go back to snorkeling.

Great info, thanks! Do you or does anyone else know of any areas with deeper water with good snorkeling? Closer to 20 feet maybe for freediving?
That side of the island has stronger currents and waves than the Waikiki side. The lagoon at Aulani gets deep enough to freedive. When I was reading @ShawnDadof8 's description of the walk past Secret Beach, I was thinking to myself, no way would I snorkel at Secret Beach! (I also just finished reading Whalefall, so ... )

W had considered getting a parking pass lottery at Haunama Bay but it's pretty far from Aulani. We honeymooned in Oahu many years ago, and really enjoyed it there when it was just the 2 of us and you just parked at the side of the road and walked down to the beach. Now you have to plan your day here:
https://hanaumabaystatepark.com/

I would be really cautious snorkeling somewhere that didn't have some protection from the open ocean. I am a strong swimmer, have gone scuba diving and snorkeling all over the world, have been a lifeguard and a water polo player ... I don't snorkel where the waves are big.

When we went to Maui we also dove and snorkeled at Molokini and also not too far offshore on the Kihei -ish side? But those were all trips by boat, and you could probably arrange an excursion there. Hanauma Bay was the only place we snorkeled from shore (other than Aulani).

The lagoons at Aulani are man made, so there really isn't much to see in them. If you go north past the 4 Seasons there is some better water.

I would agree with earlier posters that you need to be really careful in the open ocean. I've not been there myself, but I have heard from locals that if you go just a short drive north from Aulani, there is great snorkeling at Electric Beach. Evidently, one of the nearby electric plants has a warm (clean) water outlet where an amazing number of fish gather. But be sure to check the currents, because that is also open ocean. You can also look this beach up on your map app, satellite view. Have fun!

I'm not too worried about the ocean. I'm a very strong swimmer, especially with fins and a life jacket. If it's rough enough to not go out, the snorkeling would be pretty bad anyway with all the sand being kicked up by big waves. Snorkeled in a cave before with big waves, had fun but couldn't see anything!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter