Smoking rooms now turned non-smoking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ooba

Mouseketeer
I am just curious what the resorts plan to do (if anything) when the resorts become non-smoking, and the current smoking rooms now technically become non-smoking. They can't just put a non-smoking sign on the door and call it good! Does anyone know what steps they plan to take to "desmoke" these rooms? I have been in rooms in hotels that have been converted from smoking to non-smoking, and unless they pretty much gut them, they still reek. I'm concerned about future ressies - where you no longer request non-smoking - however, may end up in a converted room that is no different than a smoking room. What recourse or options would you have should the room still smell? Anyone know??

Good question. I have severe allergies and sinus problems, so I was wondering about this as well.

Good question. I have severe allergies and sinus problems, so I was wondering about this as well.

As another asthma/sinus suffer I would like to know too.:confused3

I've been lucky and only had one trip with a room problem. OKW the studio portion of our 2 bedroom had a mold/mildew smell so we had to keep the door shut to that area. Luckily it didn't bother the ones sleeping in there.

I'm sure they will deep clean the carpets and steam clean the drapes. That should be good enough long term but it might take a month or two for those rooms please non smokers.

We had a request for non smoking GV one Chirstmas - At check in the CM said I am sorry we could not get you the non-smoking GV but it has been desmoked. When I went in I could smell something but I am not certain if it was smoke or the cleaning solutions they used. I opened the deck door and some windows and turned on the ceiling fans. By afternoon it was good and by the end of the second day there were no odors from smoke or cleaning stuff. The unit was immaculate as it was obvious they had cleaned the rugs, furniture and drapes. I think the only other thing they could have done was paint the walls. If they do that kind of deep cleaning, and maybe a paint job here and there I don't think anyone will know which rooms were smoking or not from walking into them. My adult daughter had no problems in that unit and is asthmatic. I would hope they take those units out of service until they can get this done or at least ask if someone minds a unit that was previously used as a smoking one. Maybe they will be assigned to those who are asking to be near the designated smoking areas.

That was the trip we ended up with 5 people in the GV (due to people deciding not to join us) and if they had offered me a 2BR with non-smoking guranteed I would have taken it but didn't think to ask if that would be a possibility and since it was Dec 27 and I was able to get into the unit at 8 am it was all good even using all those points.

I as tod through DVC that they will just be deep cleaned and thats it.

Nothing removed just cleaned and aired out.

I was at BWV 2 weeks ago checked in May 30 , we had requested a smoking room before the change. We were last non smoking room at the end of the hallway. I was curious if we had an old smoking room with a new N/S sign or what. All of the rooms past ours to the end of the hallway ( maybe 16-20 rooms ) were out of commission. All the doors were propped open the whole time we were there, 5 days . It seemed like they had done a power wash of the room ( not exactly, I know ) washed the carpet and linens and generally cleaned room and they had doors opened to dry them out. Of course this was just me sticking my head in the door and feeling the carpet and sniffing around. When we were leaving all the cleaned out rooms did have N/S signs on them too.

I am just curious what the resorts plan to do (if anything) when the resorts become non-smoking, and the current smoking rooms now technically become non-smoking. They can't just put a non-smoking sign on the door and call it good! Does anyone know what steps they plan to take to "desmoke" these rooms?

We were at BWV last month and they were already cleaning rooms. On the service road by the canal there were several trucks from a carpet cleaning company. I thought to myself, what a great contract. Thousands of room to be cleaned. :) I was told that they were using machines on the carpets and furniture. Drapes & bedding were being cleaned and replaced.

We just got back from SSR and BWV, and had a formally smoking room at BWV. There was an ever so slight hint of smoke smell, but once we turned up the air and got moving we didn't notice it. Each time we came in after returning from the park I stopped to see if we could smell anything- and no problem. We are pretty "smoke sensitive", and didn't really notice anything.

I am not sure if the cleaning would be good enough for severe allergy sufferers (as we aren't), but it certainly met our standard!

Please visit our Community Board for smoking discussions. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter