SM SR - American Express Card

disneyfanfamily

DIS Veteran
Is anyone going to do this one? Are there any fees that I am missing for applying? DH & I need another CC. We only have our Disney Visa, and if we have too many purchases on it, sometimes they deny access to my card until I call and verify that I am the one making the purchases. I would like to have a back up card, just in case. Can you use American Express everywhere? Any help would be appreciated.
Angela

I have an Amex and use it all the time. I'm not too familar with the SM offer. What type of AMEX is it for? Different Amex's have different terms.

To get the rewards Amex there is a yearly membership fee of around $75-$90 (they just increased it and I don't remember what I paid in March for it). The thing with the rewards is that you pretty much have to pay your balance in full each month to get the rewards. There are a few "programs" you can sign up for to pay things off on a longer term but not sure how the points work for that. I think you can still have them but its for things like travel.

They also have a blue card which you don't have to pay in full each month if I recall correctly. I think you can earn off of it - cash back and maybe rewards.

Anyway I love my Amex. They are accepted almost anywhere except the mom and pop type stores that only accept Visa and Mastercard. I find they are accepted at more places than my Discover card.

It said no annual fee. It also had lots of points for Hilton. I am a little leary, because I read a thread not too long ago about someone signing up for a CC and the CC charged them a decent amount of $$$ on their new card in order to get the card. I am not seeing any fee anywhere on the application, but I have been known to miss things. It just seems too easy. There must be some kind of fee! You get credited through SR $25, I believe once you apply and use your card.

Anyone else read the terms? Am I missing something?

Angela

There is actually a big difference between this offer and the other offer. The other offer was through a third party advertiser. This one is actually a deal that we have directly with American Express.

I signed up for this card a couple of years ago and use it as a backup card and for presents for DH when I do not want them to show up on our joint card. I've never paid any fees on it, but you definitely want to make sure that the terms state that because they can change. I've also hooked it up to my Hilton Honors account so we have gotten free nights at some pretty nice hotels.

I don't have to pay this one off every month like I do my AMEX business account. I'm not sure why.

Thanks Tricia. I may sign up for this card later tonight. I want to read again -about the 4th time- the terms. It seems that there is no fee at all. But I need to make sure. I do need another credit card. My Disney Visa is sending me a new one because someone tried to use it, and now I have NO credit card for about a week. I like to have one "just in case". We always pay it off at the end of the month, so money is in the bank, but not ALWAYS on me!
Angela

PS. I LOVE the birthday surprise of 5 cents. That put a smile on my face! Happy BDay to me!

I was thinking of signing up for this card as well. It looks like a good deal and I don't have an AMEX card. Is the payout $25.00 in your SR acct. or a $25.00 GC. ? I thought it was an extra GC from the company, but I'd be thrilled if it was $25.00 in your SR acct. I'd love that boost toward making SM again. Now that i'm in, I have to keep working to stay in...it's very addicting!:)
Dorothy

I just did this one. Once I signed up it said it would be 14 days before they would notify me. I immediately got an email to call them. I did & she approved my application.

Now to get it, use it & get that credit. I hope it all works!

OK I did it too. It was approved right away online and said it would be 10 days to get the card in the mail. I will use it as soon as I get it.:thumbsup2

I just signed up. Should be here in 10 days! You can be that I will use it that day. But of course I will pay it off as soon as I get the bill.

I think that we should actually get credit within a couple of days of the approval. We haven't run this for about a year, but when we did, I seem to remember that it was not too long.

I went ahead and applied last night. It told me I would be notified in 14 days whether I was approved or not. We will see!
Angela

Got an email and was approved. Should get the card in 5-7 days. I will make a purchase with it and see if I get credit through SR!
Angela

I think that we should actually get credit within a couple of days of the approval. We haven't run this for about a year, but when we did, I seem to remember that it was not too long.

I did this one last year, and the credit came quickly. Before I even charged anything on it. I think I charged one thing, got my credit, got my free 20,000 Hilton points and closed the card.

Just signed up as well. They approved my application instantly and I should be getting my card in 10 days. This offer seems to good to be true!

My husband and I were just talking about getting an Amex card. I was looking at the one on SR and it looks like it's only a $10 credit. Has something changed? You guys were getting $25 a few days ago.

I been wanting an American Express card, which one are you guys talking about? Could someone link it?

Thanks
Jai

Signed up and will be getting mine in 10 days. Cha-ching...a lil more for those darling grandbabies at WDW this year:)

For those who have asked. This $25 offer is for SR super members and it's in the lounge.

Anybody have this card and see any negatives to it. I've been looking into a new rewards card, and since I already have a Hampton Inn stay booked soon, I'm thinking I could pay for it with the card anyway for the extra points. With the bonus points for first purchase, the bonus points for first stay plus the $25 from Sunshine, this one looks like a no-brainer to me, so it seems there must be a catch. The only thing I can see so far is the 18.something percent interest rate after the introductory 6 months.

Any more info is appreciated. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter