slo’s TUESDAY 4/30 poll - Whipped Cream vs Cool Whip

Which Do you Prefer - Whipped Cream or Cool Whip? (m.c.)

• Whipped Cream - 100% of the time

Votes: 47 43.5%
  • Whipped Cream - 75% of the time

Votes: 16 14.8%
  • Whipped Cream - 50% of the time

Votes: 11 10.2%
  • Whipped Cream - 25% of the time

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Cool Whip - 100% of the time

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Cool Whip - 75% of the time

Votes: 14 13.0%
  • Cool Whip - 50% of the time

Votes: 10 9.3%
  • Cool Whip - 25% of the time

Votes: 10 9.3%
  • I don’t like or eat either of them

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 8 7.4%

• Total voters
I rarely ever have either, but when I do, I have no idea which one I'm having......

Whipped cream, unless a recipe specifically calls for Cool Whip (which has stabilizers, and I'm guessing is why it works in recipes but whipped cream might not). Growing up, we had Dream Whip, which came as a dry packaged product that you mixed into milk and whipped. It was pretty good, better than Cool Whip, IMO.

SO... whipped cream people- freshly whipped, plain or unsweetened, or "squirty cream" from the aerosol can??

Whipped cream, unless a recipe specifically calls for Cool Whip (which has stabilizers, and I'm guessing is why it works in recipes but whipped cream might not). Growing up, we had Dream Whip, which came as a dry packaged product that you mixed into milk and whipped. It was pretty good, better than Cool Whip, IMO.

SO... whipped cream people- freshly whipped, plain or unsweetened, or "squirty cream" from the aerosol can??
I voted Other, because of Dream Whip. :cloud9: It’s 99.8% real whipped cream for us, but I do have two heirloom favourite recipes that require Dream Whip and nothing else will do. Over the years I’ve tried them with both whipped cream and Cool Whip and they just don’t work.

As to your question - fresh whipped, and always sweetened and flavoured with vanilla. I used to have one of those aerators that whipped the cream with a gas cartridge, but it went by the wayside.

Yes, we had Dream Whip when I was a kid, or Cool Whip. But my wife only buys Heavy Whipping Cream now as a lot of her recipes call for cream so we always have a carton in the fridge. We had Chicken Alfredo last night, with the Alfredo made from scratch. And some how our cholesterol is still in the healthy range.

I love whipped cream. Sometimes use Reddi-Wip (or store-brand equivalent) from the can, and sometimes I whip heavy cream myself from scratch, depending on what it’s being used for.

Haven’t had Cool Whip since I was a child, but we also had Dream Whip more often. I don’t really remember what those tasted like. I’m sure they’re not terrible, but probably not as good as the real natural version. I also much prefer the taste of pudding cooked with milk over instant pudding.

Whipped cream would be my go to.

I make it myself with fresh cream, its very easy with the can a cartridges.

fresh whipped cream, my husband was raised on cool whip but I beat that out of him :tongue:

whipped cream vs. cool whip is like the mayo vs. miracle whip question for me, there is only one, clear winner!

Last edited:
My mom always bought Cool Whip when we were growing up because it lasted longer than fresh whipped cream and had a better cost per serving ratio than canned whipped cream. I never liked the artificial taste of it and would usually pass. The only exception I made was when they introduced the fat free version. Yes, probably even more processed and chemical based, but that stuff tasted like marshmallows and was really good frozen.

Ever since I started baking, I became really sensitive to the taste of preservatives and unnecessary additives in my sweets. Boxed cake mixes, especially non-chocolate based flavors, and Cool Whip were two of the big ones that were cut out of our food-buying lives. The specific preservatives have such a distinctive taste to me that I can pick it out in other people's homemade desserts when they use these things to cut corners. Ultimately, making homemade whipped cream is really simple and the yield from whipping one small bottle of whipping cream gives you a lot more for the money than that tub of Cool Whip. No, it won't have the same shelf life and the air you've whipped in doesn't last indefinitely, but if you're going to indulge, it's better for you. You can even control the sweetness.

I make my own whipped cream. Actually I just made some last night for waffle sundaes. It’s super easy, I just throw the metal mixer bowl and the whisk attachment into the freezer for 20 minutes prior and just dump the heavy cream, sugar and some vanilla in the bowl and let the mixer do its thing. Easy, cheaper and no added chemicals.

fresh usually, but I do have a aerosol can in the fridge that the dogs may or may not get a hit of once in a while!

I voted 75% whipped cream and 25% Cool Whip. We usually have a can of whipped cream in the fridge, but I buy the sugar free tubs occasionally for specific pie recipes.

I prefer whipped cream, but either will do! My nightly sweet-tooth solve is a big scoop of one of them with a spoonful of PB alongside. Feels like PB ice cream and is super satisfying!

Whipped cream 99.9% of the time except for the occasional special event recipe like a trifle that uses cool whip. It's made out of vegetable oil and I try to avoid that when I can. I prefer the flavor of regular whipped cream.

Above all of that I like to make my own whipped cream too. You get a nice bonus arm workout! But heavy whipping cream price is up.

Both. When I was a teen I would eat Cool Whip right out of the container as a snack 😁

I said 50/50. I do have a trifle recipe that calls for cool whip so I buy it at Christmas for that. Everyone loves that dessert. Actually my daughter just asked me to make it for a brunch she is going to this weekend so I need to get some.

As for topping other desserts/hot chocolate/lattes I will eat either, but don’t feel like either one really adds anything so when I make my own plate/drink I skip it and if I am ordering I will tell them to skip it if I remember. If it’s on there, I eat it.

Neither for me! 😆

Also, I've never understood putting whipped cream on ice cream. Don't they just blend together and the cream just dilutes the flavor of the ice cream? 🍨

Usually whipped cream, but there are some things that cool whip is just better for. Ambrosia and creating the topping for butter beer come to mind

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter