slo’s TUESDAY 10/3 poll - Dental Crowns

Dental Crowns - Do you have any and if yes, how many? (m.c.)

• Yes - I have a crown(s)

Votes: 59 56.7%
  • No - I don’t have any crowns

Votes: 27 26.0%

Votes: 21 20.2%

Votes: 22 21.2%

Votes: 10 9.6%

Votes: 5 4.8%

Votes: 2 1.9%

• 7 or more

Votes: 8 7.7%
  • Other - please post your answer

• Total voters

slo

My tag used to say - I'm a Tonga Toast Junkie 😁
Dental Crowns - a topic that’s not very enjoyable to basically everyone. Which leads me to ask…..

Do you have any crowns?
If yes….how many?
(multiple choice)

For Me…..Yes - I have 2 and when this morning is done I’ll have 3.
I hate getting a crown - actually I despise getting a crown. It‘s a 3 hour process, because they custom make them at the dental office, so there’s some waiting around time. One reason I really hate it is because I get nervous about them telling me I need a root canal once they are in there digging around. It hasn’t happened yet and I hope it doesn’t happen today. My appointment is at 7:30am - I wanted it nice an early to get it done and over with.

IMG_1307.jpeg

Last edited:
Good luck, slo. I hope the process is as painless as possible. I don’t have any crowns but it doesn’t sound like an enjoyable experience.

My first crown followed a root canal. Honestly, the pain from the tooth was so terrible I welcomed the root canal. In the years following I got 2 more crowns, the third one bring this past year. No root canals for those.

At the start of this year, a back tooth crumbled as I ate a French fry, earning me my 1st crown.

The dentist told me old amalgam expanded, caused my tooth to crack and crumble.

Mine was a 2 appointment process. Day 1 clean up the site, measure for a permanent crown, place the temporary. Go back for a 30 minute appointment to fit and seat the new crown.

For a few months, it was uncomfortable when I bit back there, but I don't even notice it now.

I have a bunch - embarrassingly high number my parents did not believe in teeth you don’t need them so us children did not receive dental care so as a child I had a lot of cavities and they are very deep so as an adult I have had too many root canals to talk about which leads to crowns I’m not gonna give you a number it’s in the double digits as an adult I take care of my teeth but unfortunately the damage has been done so it’s a nonstop constant battle to keep my teeth all my teeth have very deep fillings one thing I won’t do ever again is have a filling replaced I fell for that once years ago and it led to two root canals for two teeth and it won’t bother me a bit until I let this dentist replace the fillings
I’m going with it ain’t broke don’t fix it

I agree I have had a tooth to go really bad on me and I am the pain of that it is 100 times worse than just getting the root canal done it can be your aggravation getting a crown fitted so that it doesn’t cause you any problems I only had an issue once with a crown but they just couldn’t seem to get correct took several trips before they finally got that one correct

Good Luck SLO !!!!

I know I have at least 3 crowns, but it could be 4. All of mine started off as replacing fillings I got as a child and there wasn’t enough tooth left to fill, so a crown was necessary. I’ve had two root canals also.

I think I have 2. I did have to have root canals. Maybe it’s different now than it used to be but my root canals didn’t hurt at all.

Good luck, slo. I hate getting them too!!

I think I have 4, but not sure. It has been awhile and over the years a few have been replaced.

I had a horrible phobia of the dentist for many years and never went. Then during Covid when the dentist my husband went to, and personally knew, was shutdown I developed a terrible tooth ache. I was able to call her and she prescribed me some antibiotics until she was able to open back up. I was a nervous wreck when I went to see her and found out I needed a root canal and 4 crowns. Plus a major cleaning. I got through it all using a low level of nitrox which relaxed me a little and it was nothing like the stupid videos you see of people acting like idiots that have used it. I was able to drive myself home. Her and her assistants were very gentle with me and I honestly never felt any pain. Ever since then I no longer have a fear of the dentist and go for regular checkups. It pays to have a caring dentist. Now if only her bill was painless too.

This is such perfect timing for me - I'm scheduled for a root canal next week and the crown the week after. I am so nervous. I've had sensitivity in this tooth for years (literally) but now it's very painful to eat or drink anything. So, they found I have a "micro crack" and also a deep filling in that tooth.

I'm only 41, and I feel this is crazy because I've always taken good care of my teeth. However, I wear a night guard because I apparently grind the heck out of my teeth at night. I almost cracked part of one tooth before the night guard. I wear the guard every night! I'm worried that I'll mess up all of my teeth.

My dentist said I can do the root canal/crown OR get an implant. I've opted for theroot canal. I do not want an empty space in my mouth for more than 6 months.

Anyone have words of wisdom about the process and the crack issue?

Yes, lots of them. I went through something seven years ago that caused me to begin night-grinding as a stress response. Within weeks I’d fractured 7 of my molars and needed root canals and crowns. The bill was astronomical and I’ve since lost two and now need a bridge. :( Blessedly though, the night-grinding has resolved but I do now routinely use a night guard.

9 crowns
8 root canal (well, 9, because one had to be redone.)
Have had a couple of times when I needed a root canal after the crown. It's not as awful as one might think, although I also ONLY go to this one endodontist/office. They know what they're doing
I'm with you though, hate getting crowns. Best wishes with your appointment. it'll be over before you know it.

I got my first (and so far only) crown last year. The dentist thinks I have a habit of grinding my teeth when I sleep, and I wore down one of my molars. I have started wearing a mouth guard when I sleep to hopefully prevent any future damage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter