• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

slo’s FRIDAY 4/19 poll - Green Olives vs Black Olives

Green Olives vs Black Olives - Which ones do you like?

• I love olives ❤️

Votes: 57 46.7%
  • I like olives 🙂👍🏻

Votes: 23 18.9%
  • I’m indifferent about olives 😐

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • I do not like olives 🙁👎🏻

Votes: 30 24.6%
  • I like black olives

Votes: 65 53.3%
  • I like green olives (unstuffed)

Votes: 50 41.0%
  • I like green olives with pimientos or stuffed with something else

Votes: 53 43.4%
  • I buy them fresh

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I buy them canned or jarred

Votes: 67 54.9%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 3 2.5%

• Total voters
We make this recipe where the green olives are coated with a flour mix and then baked. I think they were stuffed with some sort of cheese, but don't remember which type. It was a fantastic appetizer.

It’s called the “Mediterranean Bar” at my supermarket. At least a dozen varieties of olives, plus mixtures. Stuffed ones too.

Artichoke hearts, stuffed grape leaves, roasted red peppers, sun dried tomatoes, etc.

I think it’s $9.99 per pound.

No more canned nor jarred olives for me.

I'm an olive fan. The only way I haven't liked them is stuffed with blue cheese ... because I hate blue cheese, not because of the olive. I like them in salads, on pizza, the canned black ones specifically on tacos. We also have an olive bar at our store. Sometimes I get them there, sometimes in a jar. Depends on what I'm using them for.

I love Love LOVE olives!

From extra black olives on my pizza and a Greek salad filled with kalamatas to an extra dirty vodka martini with extra olives in the garnish...they're wonderful! What would a muffaletta be without its olive spread? I'm really good with any kind of olive tapenade for crackers or a nice bread. While I could snack on just about any olive, one of my favorite olive snacks are garlic stuffed olives. The little cloves provide such a nice textural pop and burst of flavor.

1713533706626.png

I like olives both black and green, but my 19yo daughter LOOOOVES olives. My nieces do, too. My mom always puts out a little tray of pickles and olives as an "appetizer" whenever the grandkids visit and they are like vultures!

I buy canned (black) or jarred (kalamata, green, etc.) I like them stuffed with just about anything.

I am not sure what you mean by "fresh" olives though? Aren't pretty much all olives pickled, even the ones at the olive bars? (I figured they started in a can or a jar and they just opened them up so you can mix and match.) I don't think I've ever had a non-pickled olive.

Last edited:
Never liked the taste of them no matter what color. I can recall when growing up some of our relatives used to serve them as a side dish/snack around various holidays. They always seemed to go crazy for them but just never found the taste appealing. Don't recall every buying olives.

I love kalamata and green olives and tolerate black ones. I usually get them in a jar, but come to think of it, not sure I’ve had black olives that weren’t in a can. Maybe I don’t like canned black olives?

I am an olive fiend. I love them so much. I like green olives stuffed with garlic cloves like @NYCgrrl and Kalamatas best. I don't eat canned olives, especially the black ones-they just taste like tin can or flavorless. When I go to ShopRite, they have an olive bar with Kalamatas and Feta Cheese in Greek dressing. I would eat that off the floor.

Green only, no black, but I do like Kalamata. The normal black olives (like on pizza) taste like tires to me.

A supposed olive tale from circa 1953.

Soon after my parents were married they gave their first dinner party. My mother said that an olive tray was de riguer, the done thing, what high class people served. My father said nobody would eat the olives.

According to my father, 95% of the olives went uneaten.

I must have heard this story 100 times.

A supposed olive tale from circa 1953.

Soon after my parents were married they gave their first dinner party. My mother said that an olive tray was de riguer, the done thing, what high class people served. My father said nobody would eat the olives.

According to my father, 95% of the olives went uneaten.

I must have heard this story 100 times.
I think olives were a big thing at one time. Both of my grandmothers always had relish trays out that would have olives and sweet gherkins among other things. One of my grandmothers also used to do an appetizer that was a green pimento stuffed olive stuffed into a bisquiky cheese ball and baked. She also made little toasts with cheese and olives and probably some mayo in there somewhere (black olives if I recall correctly). She entertained a lot and almost always made both of those. I don’t recall my mom ever making anything with olives, but I don’t think she disliked them.

I like the green ones okay, although I seldom buy them. However I can’t stand the black ones at all.

I'll eat the black olives on a pizza, but, generally, I prefer the green ones (in sandwiches, pasta salads etc.). The black ones are a bit too salty, I find.

I like olives both black and green, but my 19yo daughter LOOOOVES olives. My nieces do, too. My mom always puts out a little tray of pickles and olives as an "appetizer" whenever the grandkids visit and they are like vultures!

I buy canned (black) or jarred (kalamata, green, etc.) I like them stuffed with just about anything.

I am not sure what you mean by "fresh" olives though? Aren't pretty much all olives pickled, even the ones at the olive bars? (I figured they started in a can or a jar and they just opened them up so you can mix and match.) I don't think I've ever had a non-pickled olive.
I think they’re all cured (otherwise they’d be gross), when I get them from the farmers market at the pickle place they are in huge plastic bins.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter