Sitdown lunch at AKL?

Jen D

DIS Veteran
I don't know if I have ever seen it commented upon, but am I correct that AKL is the only deluxe where you can not have a full-service lunch? Obviously this is a tiny issue, and it would in no way stop me from staying there, but I admit it bugs me a little. We usually fly in on an early morning flight that arrives late morning, so by the time we reach our resort we're starved, and not in the mood to travel to get lunch. Last trip we stayed at POFQ and couldn't get lunch-- but expected that, it's a moderate.

We've never been to AKL-- we're planning it for the next trip. Again, this is not a huge issue-- and I know they have the Mara, but frankly our experience with resort food courts so far has been underwhelming to say the least. Wouldn't it be nice if Boma could have a limited a la carte menu with sandwiches and other items (similar to the lunch menus at Kona or Grand Floridian Cafe, but obviously with that special Boma Africa feel.) Any thoughts? Couldn't decide whether to post this here or in restaurants, decided on here.

Room Service should be available. Also, Mara has quite a few interesting and different offerings from the usual resort counter service and you may find it will suit your needs just fine. -HM

I;m not a great fan of food courts, but I LOVE the Mara. The food there is very good, and there are some different, ie African things on the menu. I had this wonderful Chicken Tandoori pizza, and DH had something called sugar cane chicken. It was a sandwich and was delicious. You order the food from a CM, which is posted under the signs. You then take the slip to the register, where you are given a number to display on your table. The food is then brought out to you. They do have the usual food court fare, and pre-made sandwiches, but there are some unique and delicious offerings!!!

I forgot to add that they serve the same soups that they serve at Boma for dinner and they are YUMMY!!! Here is a link to the menu, it's not complete, but should give you a good idea on the different things they have.

http://wdwig.com/menu/menu_marald.htm

We have stayed at the AKL twice, most recently in October, and I never saw anyone bring food to a table in Mara. We had to wait at each station for them to pass the food to us, then get in line at the cash register where they looked at the food and added it up. Is this something new? I hope so, because it sounds a lot easier than juggling all that food while you fish out your wallet!

We've stayed at AKL twice (Aug 2001 and Dec 2001) and we had times when food would be brought to us and times when we had to wait for it. The majority of the time, they would bring it...seems to be during the busy times. -HM

We had our food brought to our table when we stayed there, Nov/02. The food is really good, tried the sugar cane chicken and african stew-yummy and not your standard fare by any means. Best counter service menu I have ever seen! They also have a wonderful assortment of other items,baking, fresh fruit, sandwhichs, juices...many of which were not to be found at the all-stars!! I don't think you will be disappointed. There are nice to tables to dine outside as well.
Grover in Winnipeg
:)

We were there in Feb. and ate a quick bite at Mara twice. The food was brought to our table. Its not Boma -- but was pretty good for counter service.

Renee

Thanks for the room service menu and the comments on the Mara. It is helpful.

The only comment I have, not to spark a debate, is that to have no full-service table lunch available at AKL is a little un-deluxe. I guess every deluxe always is going to have their "why don't they have that-- they're a deluxe" peculiarities-- i.e. Poly and their hot tub, and now Boardwalk and child care club. I guess the problem with a full-service lunch at AKL is that at that time of day, they would only be serving AKL people-- unlike the monorail resorts, which get MK refugees, and the Epcot area resorts get visitors from those parks.... on the other hand, a good sitdown at the AKL might be a welcome break for AK visitors, who have limited sitdown dining options.

I'm just thinking out loud now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter