Simply had a wonderful Christmastime!! - Day 1

dossie

Too long to wait until my holiday!
My first attempt at a trip report - my typing is atrocious (and someties my spelling) so I make all my excuses now!

Anyway - where to start. Firstly me and my DW had kept the whole thing a secret from our DS (6) and DD(4), so after much furtive packing and suspicious car loading, our kids were a bit bewildered when we woke them at 5.00am to travel to Bristol airport for our 8.10am flight.
It was brilliant! As we approached the airport car park reception DS said - "Hang on a minute! This is where we went to DLRP before" - up until then they hadn't even twigged. We just said we were off on a day trip to do something fun before Christmas. The best bit came when we unoaded the suitcases and they finally realised we were going away. They were beside themselves - I think DD almost wet herself (as did DW!!)

Our flight was great, as is usually the case, and we landed in CDG and were on the VEA by 11.30am local time.

We arrived at our hotel - the Newport Bay Club - by 12.30ish and went into the foyer. We have previously stayed at Cheyenne (once), Caribbean Beach in WDW (x3) and had our vows renewed at the Yacht and Beach Club at WDW so we were no strangers to Disney Hotels.
The lobby was heaving but was so Christmassy with music and decorations - a great atmosphere - and the bottom lip started to tremble. Oh my days! How was I going to cope with Main Street when I saw it??

I need to clear something up right now before I continue. I am a nearly 40 year old man, nearing 17 stone, 6 foot something tall and not known to get over emotional on too many occasions - but, yes, Disney makes me cry!!!
There has been a few postings on here about why do men cry at Disney - my answer is that is just what Disney can do to you - no magic answer and not all of the time - but it does have a way of getting the emotions going. Good - that over I can continue and make no apology for further references to me getting emotional during the trip.

Having read lots of reports and posts on here we knew to expect crowds - luckily I had upgraged us to the Admiral Floor so we didn't have too much wait to check in. OUr room was not ready however (we were before 3.00pm!!) so we stored the bags and before we knew it were walking around the lake to the parks. This is one of the plus points that DLRP has going for it over Florida - you are there quickly and can "hit the parks" (as DS says all the time!) as soon as you have arrived if you wish.

As we approach the village we all got excited - "Santa Clause is Coming to Town" blaring out, Chrismas trees everywhere and a definite nip in the air - we knew that Christmas as going to feel like Christmas at DLRP. We all joined hands and walked to the Disneyland Park, soaking in everything as we went. The market place looked pretty, although I had read varied reports about it, and I guessed it would look better at night.

Once inside the park I got hit by waves of it again - Christmas Music everywhere, the amazing tree, the decoration in the shop windows and the sigh of the castle - as we strolled down Main Street I was gone again big time, as was DW. We love Disney!!!!

Straight to Buzz Lightyear for DS - but a wait time of 70 mins. We guessed as much and promised to return in the morning within the EMH and ride it twice in a row ( a trick we knew we could do!!). So we went to Small World and waited 15 mins to ride which was okay. We then headed for Frontierland as Fantasyland was way to busy, as we thought it would be, and DS was desperate to do Big Thunder Mountain. Well the wait time said 90 ins and the fastpass was gone - I began to realise just how busy it was going to be during our stay, so my "WDW in the fist two weeks of August" mentally kicked in and DW and I agreed we were here to have fun and would just go with it. DS and I joined the queue and prepared for the long haul and too many lungfuls of smoke from inconsiderate others - the sooner DLRP stops smoking in queues the better - and it was not just the french, spanish, german etc crowd that usually get the blame on here- there were loads of british too! I guess if it's avaialbale people will do it - so DIsney - sort it out!!!! YUK! (I don't object to smokers at all, having been one for over 20 years, but I think it is irresponsible in a queue around young children who don't have a choice - especially when it is blown right at you by two women chain smoking their way through the long wait - rant over!)

After two hours and 10 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we boarded the train. I was seriously considering what the hell we were doing here, as it was freezing too, but as the train started into that long dark tunnel and my little boy squeeled with delight I knew. ( I have to say, as I am sure a lot of you do, that my kids are brilliant at queueing - they don't moan or groan and just do what I do I think - enter their own little world and get things sorted in my head while I wait - oh a do a LOT of people watching!!) As we came up to the first peak of the ride, the dark was beginning to get in and I got a glimpe of the park with the lights on - the Christmas tree of Main St in the distnace, then a quick flash of the Christmas Village with all the strings of lights in the trees - WOW. I REALLY enjoyed the time on the ride - I think the best ride on Big Thunder I have had, having never done it in the dark. It was worth the wait.

We got off to find DW and DD frozen and a bit fed up (DD had made DW ride Small World several times!)so we decided to head back to the hotel, via something to eat. We headed to Main St and went into the Deli to have Croque MOnsier and hot chocolates. It was a bun fight for tables but I'll talk about European manners at a later date!!
As we sat eating and thawing out the lights on Main St started to flash and the Carol song began and we got out first glimpse of Main St snow!! More tears from DW and I.

I decided we ought to catch Candelabration while we had the chance - DW knew nothing about it but I had read about it - it was immense and the best bit was the wind blowing before they lit the castle. More tears!!! DW was reallt blown away by it, as was I.

We headed back to the hotel - the village looked lovely lit up and the market place looked great.

Our hotel room was fine - not quite sure what was so special about the floor - certainly no sign of any Admirals and I phoned to get the tea making faciities and was presented (promptly it must be said - with a kettle! No cups or owt just a kettle!! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. We had brought our own tea, coffees etc but I did expect cups.) So apart fro free towels and quicker check in what exactly does the Admirals Floor get you?????
Wasn't that impressed but the general room etc was standard to what we had experienced before and better than Cheyenne so that was alright then.
We put up our Chrstmas Tree and paper chains and went to sleep...ready for Christmas Eve in the Parks - I couldn't wait!!!!

I am now going to attempt to upload a few photos - don't hold your breath!
More later!

loving it so far!!!!!!!
and u had me with tears in my eyes reading ur reactions!! this is what i like to hear - the emotion getting to ppl - as it does to me (even when im not there lol)
cant wait to see ur pics!!! and yaaaaaaaaaaaay on takin ur own xmas tree - a fab idea!

Love your trip report ..nice to hear a very good time was had by all.

Looking forward to piccies

What a wonderful surprise for your children.:goodvibes

wow, what a great start, nearly had me in tears just imagining your reactions to xmas in dlrp, and well done on keeping it a secret from the kids - i have to say probably the best present in the world!!! :goodvibes

Great report, can't wait for day two.
I also had tears in my eyes and i so want to try BTM in the dark.

Glad to hear I wasn't the only one feeling teary reading about you with tears in your eyes! What a lovely surprise for your children. I plan to surprise mine on Saturday week when we wake them up early to go to the airport!

Fabulous start, your emotions got me all emotional too - I blame my hormones though!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter