Shrek Takes On Mickey: The Dreamworks Experience Aboard Allure of the Seas 9/18-25

Oh, those savory rolls were a hit with my sister and niece! And strawberry soup...Yumola! You know, my warm chocolate cake with pear sauce did not look nearly as good as yours. Me thinks the Monarch needs to get working on perfecting their recipe.

OceanAria is not an extra fee, correct? It looks incredible!

OceanAria looks like a really nice show. Thanks for posting pics and video. My daughters thought they were cool.

Staring at the strawberry soup pic and brought back fond memories of Disney's soup. Yummmmm.

Either the mail or the kids and life in genera; are keeping you busy. Missing you and your reports.:surfweb:

Wednesday September 21 – Day 4- St. Thomas, USVI

Welcome to:

Allure9-21038.jpg

It was the usual routine for us this morning, Ron up early, me sleeping as long as I could. He went exploring up on the Sundeck- which are the “cantilevered” wings over the bridge that extend out over the ocean. It is a great place for pictures and to relax, but it is now quite popular:

Allure9-21026.jpg

Allure9-21030.jpg

Allure9-21036.jpg

We had not yet arrived in St. Thomas.

Allure9-21041.jpg

Allure9-21069.jpg

Ron spotted this pirate ship, not knowing that it would be the one we would be on for our excursion!

Allure9-21066.jpg

Breakfast on the balcony, this morning it was from Park Café. The boys enjoyed the breakfast sandwiches similar to Egg Mc Muffins from McDonalds. They did like the sandwiches overall but didn’t care too much for the Canadian bacon on them.

This is all I had, and the girls both had just cold cereal. Would that turn out to be a mistake?

Allure9-21039.jpg

Look how well behaved they are. Ha ha ha….. These moments are few and far between.

Allure9-21074.jpg

Finally we docked (late) and were cleared quickly to disembark. Our excursion had a meeting time of 8:30 and we did not even arrive in port until 9 AM. Today we would be doing the Turtle Cove Sail & Snorkel through Royal Caribbean. We normally do not do excursions through the cruise line, as we can often arrange our own plans for less cost. But this excursion was so reasonably priced and was right what we were looking for- a short unique snorkeling experience- that we decided to go with it. The cost is $56/adult and $30/child and we felt that was well worth it for the experience. Sarah, at age 3 was still too young for this experience so she would spend the morning in the kids’ club. She did offer a little bit of resistance about going to the club this morning but once she was there, she was fine.

You know what's cool about this excursion? You can do it on DCL too! See! :

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cruises-destinations/shore-excursions/st-thomas-st-john-us-virgin-islands/doubloon-turtle-cove-sail-and-snorkel/

Our shore excursion tickets just said to meet at the dock, so we headed down to the gangway to disembark. Once outside on the pier we could see no obvious meeting place for the group.

Allure9-21084.jpg

I spotted these pirate flags from across the bay though and figured that’s where we would be. I….was right!

Allure9-21085.jpg

We made our way through the security gates, and since Ron didn’t believe me that we needed to head towards the pirate flags, he finally found a gentleman with a sign for our excursion and pointed us…where else…to the pirate flags! Well, now that we are sure on where to go, we took the short walk over, past all of these guys….so cute!!

Allure9-21089.jpg

We still had to wait for more folks to arrive. This is a very popular excursion and often sells out; there were in fact well over 100- maybe close to 200 people gathered once everyone had arrived. Here is my favorite tip for excursions: use this time while you are waiting to apply sunscreen! We were slathering on the sunscreen now, while most were just hanging out. Later on they were all applying the sunscreen on the boat, a more cramped and bumpy environment, while we were just enjoying the ride….sort of. More on that to come, I don’t want to get ahead of myself.

Allure9-21090.jpg

Before too long, the excursion operators began to divide us into groups for the boat ride. We had read many reviews of this excursion and had read while most often one the Pirate Schooners is used- occasionally a catamaran is used for overflow. Having kids who were really excited about the Pirate Ship, we were a little antsy to get our tickets in and get placed on one of the Pirate Ships, the Doubloon or Bones. We were lucky enough to be one of the last few families to get onboard the Doubloon. (I don’t think getting “stuck” on the Catamaran would have been an issue today- we did not see one at Turtle Cove while we were there.
In any event, here comes Doubloon to the dock:

Allure9-21092.jpg

We boarded Doubloon and headed up to the bow. Along with the minimal breakfast this may have been mistake #2.

Allure9-21094.jpg

At first we enjoyed the ride from Crown Bay over towards Turtle Cove at Buck Island.

Allure9-21093.jpg

Allure9-21095.jpg

Allure9-21103.jpg

Allure9-21101.jpg

Allure9-21113.jpg

But the water was quite choppy and even though I am not prone to sea sickness, I among a few others in the boat (including Savannah) felt a little -or a lot- nauseous by the time we finally arrived about 40 minutes later. I know I would be fine once I got off the rocking boat and into the water. Savannah though, felt really sick and didn’t want to go snorkel at all. We let most folks get off and into the water while I waited with her hoping she would feel better. The really nice family we were sitting next to on the boat gave her a Bonine, which she took, and with a lot of persuasion I finally convinced her to at least take a little swim in the water.

Turtle Cove at Buck Island:

Allure9-21119.jpg

Allure9-21120.jpg

Allure9-21121.jpg

Just as I thought, as soon as she was off the rocking boat, and in the water she was fine, and then she decided to snorkel. I waited while she swam back to retrieve her equipment. The staff of the boat- by the way- was great. They were very funny, and friendly and helpful. We had Captain Alex, and “Mermaid” Dawn, and First Mate Kurt was the other guy I think. Just an awesome crew!

Meanwhile, Ron, Brendan and the rest of the excursion-goers were following “mermaid” Dawn as they called her on a short guided tour of the cove. Right away they saw the wild sea turtles, and other great tropical fish, coral, urchins, and other sea life.

Before too long Savannah was back in the water with her gear on, and snorkeling around like a fish. Most everyone else in our group had already seen the turtles following Dawn around, we were playing catch-up. It took us a while to find them, but then when we finally spied one, they seemed easy to find.

It was a lot of fun just to watch them chilling out, eating grass, going up for air. Brendan got to gently touch the shell of one as it ascended to the surface. Here are some pictures taken from the doubloon website (we did not have an underwater camera):

killerturtle31.jpg

killerturtle4.jpg

turtle2.jpg

In fact, if you are considering this excursion, do go check out Doubloon.com, they have lots of info and pictures and links to the other boats you could be on if you go on the Turtle Cove Sail & Snorkel.

And this nice stock photo of Doubloon with the sails up:

newdoubloon.jpg

Allure9-21136.jpg

Allure9-21133.jpg

More general pics of Turtle Cove:

Allure9-21130.jpg

Allure9-21131.jpg

They let you snorkel for quite a long time. Well over an hour I’m sure. This was just a terrific excursion for the money! We loved it!

Allure9-21125.jpg

Allure9-21124.jpg

When it was time to head back, Mermaid Dawn mixed up a batch of their Painkiller punch. According to their site the juice mixture is 4 parts pineapple juice, 1 part orange juice, and 1 part Coco Lopez (coconut milk). She mixed all of that very imprecisely with generous pours of this very interesting Brazilian Rum:

Allure9-21153.jpg

Boat Drinks, waitress we need two more boat drinks….

Allure9-21138.jpg

The drinks were really good, and they certainly kept them flowing. I had at least 2, and I think Ron lost count how many he had.

There were sodas for the kids, and anyone who preferred non-alcoholic drinks as well.

Allure9-21142.jpg

As we enjoyed the ride back, Dawn came around with temporary tattoos for everyone. They had the flag logo for the Doubloon:

detailflag.jpg

These were like super-industrial grade temporary tattoos. They really lasted. In fact I had to scrub, and scrub, and SCRUB almost to the bone to get it off several days later. Brendan’s stayed on well after we got home. You can decline, of course if you don’t want one, but everyone onboard was having fun with it, and I admit it was pretty cool to spot others from the excursion later on in the cruise around the ship by their tattoos!

Tattoo time: (video! Click to Play)

Allure9-21139.jpg

Allure9-21140.jpg

Then at one point Capt. Alex came out in the T-shirts they had for sale. We knew it would be a sales spiel but he was so hilarious we really enjoyed it. And yes, we bought the shirts.

Allure9-21145.jpg

Capt. Alex joking around in his Pirate girl duds:

Allure9-21146.jpg

Allure9-21147.jpg

And in case you ever wondered what a real marine head looks like. Just keep pumping, just keep pumping….

Allure9-21155.jpg

Look what’s hiding around this corner… (They can actually *HIDE* that thing!?!?)

Allure9-21149.jpg

Back on dry land…our friends were still baking on the rocks:

Allure9-21157.jpg

‘Sup?

Allure9-21162.jpg

And strollin’ the streets, and chillin’ under picnic tables, and hittin’ on hot chicks at the bar….

Allure9-21166.jpg

Allure9-21168.jpg

They were feeding them cherries, actually. It was fun to watch!

Look! C-Bay! (as in Crowne Bay?) LOL!

Allure9-21171.jpg

The not-so-hot Wi-Fi hotspot. No signal at all.

Allure9-21172.jpg

Nope, couldn’t fit it in this time.

Allure9-21175.jpg

Up Next: Hang Ten, Gain Ten

Ooooh! Hanging and Gaining...does this mean Savannah's zip line is coming up?

Wowsa, the water is so beautiful. We are so wanting to do an Eastern Caribbean for the sites...I hesitate since they typically have an extra at-sea day (I prefer port calls myself).

Looks amazing!! How long did the excursion last all together?

It was a fun excursion!:thumbsup2 It was about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. It was exactly what we were looking for because this vacation was much more about the ship than the ports.:goodvibes

Another great update Jen!

Ron

Okay, the aerial show looks fun! Did the kids get wet?

We loved St. Thomas! I don't remember seeing so many iguanas there Your pirate snorkel sounds like the perfect excursion - Plenty of rum punch, plenty to see, and time to shop and eat after:cool1:

I can't be the only one that gets excited when I go to the last page on this thread and watch my scroll bar indicator get REALLY tiny as Jenn's pictures load?:love:

Also ... I keep seeing pics of it, but I still can't believe how HUGE that ship is!!!
:eek:

Great update Jen, we were going to do that excursion on our last DCL cruise.

Wish we had now.

Really enjoying your TR - we are thinking of broadening our Cruise horizons and your wonderfully detailed and (truly :)) entertaining report is giving me alot to think about! Thank you. :thumbsup2

What a fun excursion. I don't know if we will ever make it to that port, but that is one excursion I would love to do.

What a fun and incredible adventure you are sharing! My family and I are waiting for the next chapter... Thank you again for sharing and helping to build the excitement for our Allure adventure in December. popcorn::

Did you find that making reservations for all the shows and dining options to be a bit overwhelming? I am feeling the need to create a spreadsheet that covers a week of time in order to see the whole picture :surfweb:

Every now and then I feel a twinge of sadness for not choosing "The Mickey Boat" as my toddler calls it. However, with the restructuring of kids clubs rules and schedules, I have less sad twinges and more feelings of excitement as cruise time gets closer. Shrek is looking like he will take very good care of us.

Keep on writing! My mom will be here in May and I can't wait to share your trip report with her.:goodvibes

last week! I had actually replied to all of the comments the other day but lost the post on submit due to the site going down, and then when I checked in yesterday it still must have been down because it timed out. BUT all seems well so far today so I'll start with an update if luck holds out and then try to get the replies up. We'll see what happens! Ha ha! Hang on.....

Back onboard, up at the pools. The main pool bleacher seating was pretty empty but the Beach Pool had plenty of folks out and about:

Allure9-21189.jpg

Allure9-21190.jpg

H20 zone, pretty empty:

Allure9-21191.jpg

Allure9-21194-1.jpg

The kids were hungry. So we decided to feed them. We were close to it, and since it was a port day we thought it might not be too bad…..so we went to…..

Windjammer.

Allure9-21199.jpg

There wasn’t too much interesting to eat this day. It was nice to see Savannah was feeling better, apparently:

Allure9-21200.jpg

No you aren't seeing things, she decided to put on the same clothes she had just worn the other day. WE made her go change. Ha ha! And told her to stick on a few extra layers because it's time to hang ten! And well....HANG!

And it was a good thing she ate all of that spaghetti- she finally weighed enough to go on the zip line! (75 pounds exactly!)

Allure9-21216.jpg

Here she goes!!! Video - click to play!

Allure9-21233.jpg

It’s a long way down!

Allure9-21250.jpg

Allure9-21227.jpg

Allure9-21254.jpg

While the big kids played, Sarah enjoyed a round of golf her way.

Allure9-21224.jpg

She makes her own rules. Luckily there were no other kids there to interfere. LOL. Although she did try to escape out and snag balls from the real course!

Allure9-21223.jpg

Now she’s an old pro. She went several times in a row before it was time for more flowrider:

Allure9-21218.jpg

Allure9-21265.jpg

Allure9-21269.jpg

Allure9-21266.jpg

Wait...what...who was that? :rolleyes1

Allure9-21270.jpg

Allure9-21273.jpg

And finally time for Sarah to play in “her place” again…

Allure9-21290.jpg

Allure9-21286.jpg

What a wonderful day, and we have a busy, busy evening ahead still!

Up Next: Date Night!

Jen, so sorry, I have been something of a stranger to this report - I lost track of it while we were away in October and (I'm ashamed to admit) haven't managed to catch up since.

That’s OK Joh, I totally know what you mean, I haven’t caught up on my reading yet either! One of these days…..LOL!

Anyhoo, I went back to the beginning and started again and now I am all caught up. All I can say is 'Wow!' Either you are a really good trippie writer (which we know you are) or this ship is just amazing! Every time I finished reading a segment, I would turn to DH and say 'I wanna go on this ship!!!' Of course he already knows that since I have been going on and on about it for ever. I found a cracking itinerary, sailing through the Panama Canal which just happens to coincide with my 40th Birthday so, of course, I am hoping against all hope that he will go ahead and book it. He has pretty much said that, if he can get another permanent job by the middle of the year (he is due to be made redundant between June and December) then we can go

It is the Vision of the Seas, rather than the Oasis or Allure, and I am assuming there are many differences. I would still love to sail the Oasis or Allure but I think DH would prefer a different itinerary.

That sounds wonderful!!! I’d love to do the PC one day! I’ve heard good things about Vision OTS- that class has some diehard fans over on Cruise Critic! Hope everything works out with his job so that you can go!!!

Anyway, keep up the good work - I'm back on board now (pardon the pun) and anxiously waiting for more. Looking forward to seeing what you did at St Thomas since we only did Paradise Point there in October on our DCL cruise.

Well, we didn’t do too much- this one was all about the ship. Hee Hee!

WOW that show looks amazing!! Does that only perform once for the week? Are the dining times on RCCL different than how DCL works?

Ocean Aria performs three or possibly four times per cruise. The schedule doesn’t change up too much, but reservations for this one in advance are almost totally necessary. Of course it can be watched from the public decks above as well!

RCCL has two regular dining times, I think 6 and 8:30. There is no rotation like DCL, every night is in the MDR. But they also have My Time Dining – which is what we do- that allows you to either schedule a reservation for dinner nightly at a time that is convenient for you – or just show up to the dining room when you want to eat! We love the flexibility of MTD!

Oh, those savory rolls were a hit with my sister and niece! And strawberry soup...Yumola! You know, my warm chocolate cake with pear sauce did not look nearly as good as yours. Me thinks the Monarch needs to get working on perfecting their recipe.
Oh yeah, ours was delicious- sorry yours wasn’t! I think it just might have been the MDR dessert highlight of the week!

OceanAria is not an extra fee, correct? It looks incredible!

Nope, all shows are free and included!

Señor DonDuck;43836475 said:
OceanAria looks like a really nice show. Thanks for posting pics and video. My daughters thought they were cool.
Staring at the strawberry soup pic and brought back fond memories of Disney's soup. Yummmmm.

Oh my gosh, I love the DCL strawberry soup- the highlight of embarkation day buffet! :)

Miss you!:surfweb:

Aww, thanks! I’d been back a couple of times over the weekend to post more but the site wasn't cooperating. Hopefully it holds out- I’ve copied this post to word so I don’t lose it again!!!

Either the mail or the kids and life in general are keeping you busy. Missing you and your reports.:surfweb:

Yep, craziness as usual around here. LOL. Never a dull moment. But I’ll keep chugging along….

Looks amazing!! How long did the excursion last all together?

It was a fun excursion!:thumbsup2 It was about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. It was exactly what we were looking for because this vacation was much more about the ship than the ports.

Off the top of my head I was thinking 4 hours but the first pic was taken at 9:20 AM and the last at 12:49 PM, so about three and a half hours!

Ooooh! Hanging and Gaining...does this mean Savannah's zip line is coming up?

Hmmm…..we’ll see…well….now you can see! Haha!

Wowsa, the water is so beautiful. We are so wanting to do an Eastern Caribbean for the sites...I hesitate since they typically have an extra at-sea day (I prefer port calls myself).

Oh we LOVE the Easten, the islands are so gorgeous! I would so love to do a Southern Caribbean one day..Tortola, St. Kitts, Antigua are all right there! Ah, I can dream!

Okay, the aerial show looks fun! Did the kids get wet?

Only a little bit, mostly spray from the fountains. It wasn’t like Shamu splash zone or anything. Hehe.

We loved St. Thomas! I don't remember seeing so many iguanas there Your pirate snorkel sounds like the perfect excursion - Plenty of rum punch, plenty to see, and time to shop and eat after:cool1:

Were you docked at Havensight? I think that might be it- we didn’t see any critters there either but they were everywhere at Crowne Bay! We love St. Thomas too! Happy to be going back in Sept- I am really hoping to score Thomas for a charter!!! So we can do it up Ellen style! Woo hoo!

I can't be the only one that gets excited when I go to the last page on this thread and watch my scroll bar indicator get REALLY tiny as Jenn's pictures load?
Also ... I keep seeing pics of it, but I still can't believe how HUGE that ship is!!!
:eek:

Ha ha! Ok I admit it gets a little annoying when I check in on my phone! LOL! Yes that ship was totally a monster. You really need a wide angle lens to take a picture of it! Criminy!

Great update Jen, we were going to do that excursion on our last DCL cruise.
Wish we had now.

Aw, yes it was so much fun! I’d do it again!

loving this review!

Thanks so much for reading! Glad you are loving it!!!

Really enjoying your TR - we are thinking of broadening our Cruise horizons and your wonderfully detailed and (truly :)) entertaining report is giving me alot to think about! Thank you. :thumbsup2

You’re so welcome, glad you are enjoying it! Hope it helps you with your future plans!!

What a fun excursion. I don't know if we will ever make it to that port, but that is one excursion I would love to do.

It was really great- the crew did make a difference they were a LOT of fun!

What a fun and incredible adventure you are sharing! My family and I are waiting for the next chapter... Thank you again for sharing and helping to build the excitement for our Allure adventure in December. popcorn::

Awesome! So glad you are finding it helpful!! You will LOVE Allure!!!

Did you find that making reservations for all the shows and dining options to be a bit overwhelming? I am feeling the need to create a spreadsheet that covers a week of time in order to see the whole picture :surfweb:

Well, I absolutely do advise a spreadsheet. We made one too. I admit I am used to planning out every little detail like that so it didn’t bother me a bit, but yes you really do have to have it all planned out in advance. It’s hard to be spontaneous on the Mega Ships, but honestly I didn’t find it all that different from planning a Disney Cruise! Again, though, I am an overplanner!

Every now and then I feel a twinge of sadness for not choosing "The Mickey Boat" as my toddler calls it. However, with the restructuring of kids clubs rules and schedules, I have less sad twinges and more feelings of excitement as cruise time gets closer. Shrek is looking like he will take very good care of us.

I absolutely agree! I think you will find Shrek quite hospitable! Its truly a wonderful experience. Not Disney but in a lot of ways not really comparable even. You’ll have a fantastic time!

Keep on writing! My mom will be here in May and I can't wait to share your trip report with her.:goodvibes

Awesome, I hope she enjoys it too!!! There much more to come!

Oh and we just booked Allure again for 2013! 9/22/13 if anyone wants to join us! LOL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter