Should I stay or should I go, aka Which resort for a 2br at 7 mo?

Should I stay or should I go? 2br options

• Total voters

kboo

DIS Veteran
Hi there, currently booked in a 2br std at BLT, home resort, and considering a change at 7 mo. (these are mostly but not all available, but indulge me because this question will come up in future years):

Party of 5 includes 2 kids and my 80+ yo dad, which is why we are getting a 2br. Kids will share with grandpa. These are the resorts in play due to family members' preferences and bec they are similar in point cost. My kids are all about the rides and going to the parks, the adults are looking for some balance between park commando and relaxing at the resort. We have APs.

BLT std: PRO: location; size of room; CON: lack of theming; home resort, we've stayed a lot.
BWV preferred: PRO: location CON: refurb? 2d bedroom is a studio (murphy or no murphy for the second bed?)
BWV std: PRS: saves enough points for a 1 night longer stay; CON: see above
CCV: PRO: newer, theming, have never stayed before CON: bus transportation, smaller room
AKV std: PRO: 1 night longer stay, theming, extra bath in Kidani, close to shops/restaurants at Jambo; CON: decor is a little dark for our tastes; bus transportation
AKV sav: PRO: It has a freakin' savanna! CON: see above

Also: how possible/likely to get connecting studios at Poly and would we want to? We like having a kitchen for breakfast and doing laundry.

I know it sounds like we have laid out a bunch of pros/cons, but I asked the family over the weekend and different people seem to have radically different opinions. I even keep changing my mind.

Of the resorts on the list, the only one we haven't stayed at all is CCV.

Hi there, currently booked in a 2br std at BLT, home resort, and considering a change at 7 mo. (these are mostly but not all available, but indulge me because this question will come up in future years):

Party of 5 includes 2 kids and my 80+ yo dad, which is why we are getting a 2br. Kids will share with grandpa. These are the resorts in play due to family members' preferences and bec they are similar in point cost. My kids are all about the rides and going to the parks, the adults are looking for some balance between park commando and relaxing at the resort. We have APs.

BLT std: PRO: location; size of room; CON: lack of theming; home resort, we've stayed a lot.
BWV preferred: PRO: location CON: refurb? 2d bedroom is a studio (murphy or no murphy for the second bed?)
BWV std: PRS: saves enough points for a 1 night longer stay; CON: see above
CCV: PRO: newer, theming, have never stayed before CON: bus transportation, smaller room
AKV std: PRO: 1 night longer stay, theming, extra bath in Kidani, close to shops/restaurants at Jambo; CON: decor is a little dark for our tastes; bus transportation
AKV sav: PRO: It has a freakin' savanna! CON: see above

Also: how possible/likely to get connecting studios at Poly and would we want to? We like having a kitchen for breakfast and doing laundry.

First off, if you like have the kitchen/doing laundry, then I'd avoid Poly. I think while you may certainly request adjacent studios, the whole process would be more hassle than it's worth for what it seems your family values in the resort.

In order to evaluate the others, how important is the view to your vacation experience? How much do you dislike bus transportation? It seems like the adults will do some resort relaxing, so I assume you'd want a decent view? I know for me, the view is quite important. I don't rope drop and I don't close down the parks. I want to enjoy my balcony and the views while I have coffee in the morning or a drink in the evening. I'm going to provide input as though the view is important to you. I dislike bus transportation with an undying hatred. I'll drive my car before I take a bus. I understand that most folks are not like this, so for that particular issue, I won't weigh in too much.

You know BLT, so I won't go into that.

For BWV, the 2nd bed in the 2-BR studio is a pull-out sofa (hasn't been upgraded to murphy yet), I believe. In my opinion, the preferred view isn't so much of an upgrade from standard view to be worth it. Boardwalk view is pretty amazing, especially for the EPCOT fireworks (or whichever nighttime show they'll run when you're there) viewing. But looking at the pool/garden isn't worth extra points for me. I also don't like the pool at BWV...so if you're doing pool time, this is a CON for me. But access to the boardwalk for dining is awesome.

CCV is newer, has a great theme (not as dark as AKL theme, but if wood-heavy isn't your thing...then you probably won't like it). The rooms are smaller, but newer. Also, bus transportation except to MK (boat). the views are excellent, but not exactly transformative. What I mean, is when looking out onto the water, you feel like you're in Florida. I only feel immersed in the resort when I'm inside the lobby/rooms. I feel like Boardwalk or AKL does a better job immersing you both inside/out. The dining options here are decent, and the pool is solid.

For AKL, I'll only stay here for the savanna view rooms. the extra bathroom at Kidani would be nice for 5 people. If you're gonna relax at the resort, then I know I'd regret not getting the savanna view room. Again, I passionately hate bus transportation, so I drive to the parks from AKL (you're APs...so I assume you'll have a car and parking is free). I also love the dining at AKL and the pools are awesome.

IF it were me...I'd go:

1) AKL - Savanna (Kidani if you could)
2) BWV Standard
3) CCV
4) BLT Standard

Personally, I'd consider OKW too...large rooms, relaxing vibe, but I assume you have reasons for not considering.

Depending on timing of your trip, the BWV sofa beds might be Murphys by then or might not. But with your party, the 3 full bathrooms at BLT and Kidani would be calling to me. Even when it’s just the two of us in a 1BR at Kidani, DH loves having his own bathroom 🤣!

Just to confuse things even further :goodvibes I'll throw out another scenario since you're considering CCV. What about BRV? The rooms are currently being refurbed, and should be done by your stay I'd imagine. The living room will have the Murphy bed instead of a pull-out sofa, so each child and grandpa will get an actual bed.

These are all excellent options. I wanted to pick, but I just can't. We migrate to BWV a lot and my girls love the walks to both EP and DHS. But, we are bookending a cruise over SB with BLT on the front end and AKL-K on the back end. We did one day at AKL(K) last year and my girls are very excited we get to go back for a couple more days. We haven't stayed at BLT since 2018 ish. We are excited to get back there too.

I think I'd pick more by what the itinerary looks like. Any ADRs that would be more difficult to get to in one vs another resort? The halls at AKL might be a deterrent for dad depending on scooter/ no scooter and physical ability, but the savannah might encourage the kids with a little more downtime (unless they are already over it having stayed there before) and the parks still hold their attention better. The 3 bathrooms would also certainly weigh on my choice.

It is also one of my favorites, but unless your heart is really set on it, I'd probably take out the Poly. While it is possible to get connecting, we have never had luck with it. We generally get the same building, but could be a different floor. Laundry is still doable but not in the room. I have lugged laundry to another building on several trips, but having it in the room is very much desired for a longer trip.

I really like the idea of the 3rd bathroom, which you should be used to with BLT being your home resort. So AKV Kidani Savanna would be my first choice.

Second would be BWV standard. No 3rd bath and a sleeper sofa. But the location is fantastic, especially with EPCOT right there giving you so many food options.

Is your dad mobile, or will he be using a scooter? The issue I see with some of your other options is that they are all pretty spread out. The hallways at BWV are notoriously long and the ones at AKV are not a whole lot better. I'm an owner at both resorts and have personally experienced the endless hallways. It can be a very long walk to the bus stop, pool or restaurants at each one.

If your dad's mobility is in question, I would recommend either staying put or going over to CCR which are both fairly compact.

How old are your kids? Are they getting to the age where you will let them go off and explore on their own? If so, BWV might be a nice choice. This would put them within walking distance to 2 parks. If you are just starting to test the waters with letting them go out on there own, this might be a good "testing ground".

Just to confuse things even further :goodvibes I'll throw out another scenario since you're considering CCV. What about BRV? The rooms are currently being refurbed, and should be done by your stay I'd imagine. The living room will have the Murphy bed instead of a pull-out sofa, so each child and grandpa will get an actual bed.
This 100%!!! Now that it's refurb I would go for Murphy beds at BRV and experience a new resort. We own at CCV so I am biased.

I would go to CCV to knock another resort off your to do list. We loved it the couple of times we stayed there (although just in studios). Pool is nice. Geyser Point Bar and Grill is a fab find. JM2C

Is your dad mobile, or will he be using a scooter? The issue I see with some of your other options is that they are all pretty spread out. The hallways at BWV are notoriously long and the ones at AKV are not a whole lot better. I'm an owner at both resorts and have personally experienced the endless hallways. It can be a very long walk to the bus stop, pool or restaurants at each one.

If your dad's mobility is in question, I would recommend either staying put or going over to CCR which are both fairly compact.
I love that you all are thinking about my dad's mobility options! He is a very spry 80+ and I do NOT take that for granted! He competes in national senior events in his sport, and I am thankful that he more than keeps up with us. He has stayed at BLT, VGF and BCV with us recently, and has done the walk from BCV to HS (with more walking in HS). 🥰

As for the kids ... @Shellyred8 you are on the money! They're not old enough to go to the parks completely without us, but they would be old enough to go out to the Boardwalk to pick up food, stroll around, or just start walking before we did, for example. So Crescent Lake is definitely in our future - just not sure what is going on with room availability at BWV these days ... only P&G available (not a surprise) but hesitant to let go of the BLT dedicated 2br just yet .... I'd really like to get BWV standard to stretch points, of course. But then my kids would be on a sofa bed.

I know my dad wouldn't mind, but I'm slightly tempted to "save" some points and do a posher, all-Murphy 1br (VGF or Riv)... but then I'd have to share a bathroom with my dad *and* DH which is just too weird.

I would definitely switch at 7months. My votes:

1a: CCV
1b: BRV

WL is a common thread here, but only coincidentally. CCV is very nice and you've never been. BRV renovation looks great and I'm assuming you also haven't been since the reno, so basically 2 resorts you haven't been to that are pretty new or newly renovated. WL is also very nice.

2: AKV Kidani Savanna

As you said: Freakin' Savanna!

3-5: Other AKV options

Avoid: BWV and BCV

I really like BWV and BCV, but I'd avoid BWV during renovations (noise, closures, etc.). BCV also has some availability weirdness going on in ~8 months that might be related to soft good refurb. But most of all, psychologically I'd have a hard time staying in a room you know will be better 'tomorrow'. Save these for another trip.

I voted for Kidani savanna view. The third bathroom could be really helpful so Grandpa could have his own and kids share the one off the living area. Watching the animals is relaxing and interesting and there are great pools and restaurants.

Going to go with Kidani savanna view as many others have stated. This is one of those trips you want your kids to remember with their grandpa. We all know the resort isn't the most important thing but it also creates the setting for some of these memories and AKV savanna is prob the most unique of these. I'd also consider BWV since it sounds like your kids are prob in the teenage area I'd imagine but even so I'd prob give the edge to AKV.

it depends when you are going. we wouldnt stay at BLT if there were parties going on because we lose the flexibility to walk to MK every night. if its during F&W, BWV probably won't be available. We always love AK so we would usually end up there. Also, we liked the large OKW 2 bedroom. We will likely try to switch our upcoming trip there at 7 months.

Poly standard is very, very easy to get connecting. There's one view and hundreds of rooms, it's not a tough request. Lake view would be iffier, but it's just one building so it can't be far. Downside is you could get the dreaded Pago Pago parking lot (aka monorail) view.

Laundry is central, and I don't think it's a huge deal in Poly. Worst case scenario, it's a building over, I don't think that's a big deal. You have a fridge-ish. So if breakfast means cereal and milk you are fine. You could also split stay into Poly. Man I love Poly.

We took my MIL on a split stay between Kidani and BC. She was in love with getting up early with the animals and a cup of coffee. I almost regretted moving to what is objectively a much better room, because she was so happy in Kidani.

BW standard is going to be impossible to book. They are all lockoffs and this category is targeted by members and professionals to rent out. You might get lucky and get a 1BR standard and add a garden studio. But that could be really far away from each other, BW is huge.

BW standard is going to be impossible to book. They are all lockoffs and this category is targeted by members and professionals to rent out. You might get lucky and get a 1BR standard and add a garden studio. But that could be really far away from each other, BW is huge.
I might just do a waitlist for the entire stay and if it fills, great, and if it doesn't, we are still somewhere great. (also, BWV standard would enable us to stay 1-2 nights longer on the points we have to work with.)

Also - we do have some studio stays lined up with just the 4 of us - will consider dipping a toe into Poly on one of those stays instead.

So I polled the fam again -
11yo 1st choice: BWV bec she likes the BW area, loves walking to 2 parks, and loves Guardians and the rides at HS.
DH: meh. Not a fan of bus transportation everywhere but if we are going to stay at AKV we need to stay w a savanna view. (Note: AK is his favorite park; we last stayed in a 1br value during higher covid, and nothing but the pools were open, and the room had a number of things wrong with it and the customer service was meh... )
7yo: "Does the Tron coaster go upside down?"

I will take another look at the BRV refurb - I remember not really loving the new decor. And oddly, even though my kids LOVE visiting WL/CCV for Whispering Canyon and to see The Queen, they were not too excited about staying there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter