Shoe Recommendation for Boys

mamateacher

Mouseketeer
Hi all,
Besides sneakers, what shoes would you recommend for all day in the parks for boys ages 12 and 14? They wore crocs the last two trips, but they were younger and I doubt they will wear them now. We are going in August.

Thank you!

I wear Keen's. I always hated sandals and refused to wear them until I found out about these. I would take a good pair of broken in sneakers as well.

My son will be 12 on our trip in July. He has always worn crocs as well, and is on the fence about them this time. He wants to wear them, but his more fashion conscious side is giving him doubts, I think.:) Currently on the list are two pairs of Nike sneakers, one newer, one more broken in, and his Nike Slide Sandals for pool and around hotel. I figured if he changes his mind and wants to go with the Crocs, we can purchase them there.

We just bought my 9 yo daughter Keens. Those are what my husband wears as well.

Honestly, I'd go with the oldest, most comfortable, but still intact pair of shoes he currently has if possible. If that's not possible, I lived in good work boots at that age. They just have to be good comfortable shoes, no matter the style. Just remember that if they are new, he needs to break them in, break them in, break them in.

My kids are a few years younger, but they both wore Teva sandals this past trip. They switched off between those and tennis shoes (DS 4 also wore Crocs, but DS 6 did not). All of the shoes they wore were broken in before the trip and we had no issues.

We bring at least two pairs of shoes, because half of it for me is switching out shoes every day. Multiple days of walking, even in well broken in shoes, can cause blisters or sore spots. For DS we bring sneakers, a pair of keen (or keen style) sandals with a sturdy sole, and a pair of Natives for rainy days.

Are there any kids' Keens that are lighter weight? I got the kids' each a pair two years ago and they weighed a TON and the kids (understandably) hated wearing them. Our trip is end of next month so I was going to pick up sandals in the next week or so to let them break them in before the trip but haven't had much luck with comfortable, durable, weather/water-durable AND light enough not to feel like they're wearing blocks of concrete!

Are there any kids' Keens that are lighter weight? I got the kids' each a pair two years ago and they weighed a TON and the kids (understandably) hated wearing them. Our trip is end of next month so I was going to pick up sandals in the next week or so to let them break them in before the trip but haven't had much luck with comfortable, durable, weather/water-durable AND light enough not to feel like they're wearing blocks of concrete!
I can't answer for boy styles, but for girls, the Whisper Keens are lightweight, and my daughter wears these every summer. They're much lighter than the Newports. I believe the Seacamps are also lightweight, but I don't think they're as protective as the Whispers.

Since you're going in August, I'd recommend Keens over Crocs. Crocs can be so slippery in the rain. Keens dry fairly quickly and have good traction.

My teen and tween brings a couple of pairs of comfortable tennis shoes. We bring a pair of flip flops for the pool.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter