Shipping Luggage to Disney

Walk This Way

Earning My Ears
I don't want to derail the Boulder Ridge thread so I'm starting a new one. Forum member @TraJon mentioned that they SHIP their packed suitcases directly to their Disney resort. I'd love to hear more about this option. What shipping company do you use? How much does it cost? Do you put the suitcases in a box? How do you retrieve your suitcases/packages once you arrive? Do you ship them back home again at the end of your trip? If so, how/where do you do this from? Etc...
Thanks in advance to anyone who can share information on this interesting option!

I don't want to derail the Boulder Ridge thread so I'm starting a new one. Forum member @TraJon mentioned that they SHIP their packed suitcases directly to their Disney resort. I'd love to hear more about this option. What shipping company do you use? How much does it cost? Do you put the suitcases in a box? How do you retrieve your suitcases/packages once you arrive? Do you ship them back home again at the end of your trip? If so, how/where do you do this from? Etc...
Thanks in advance to anyone who can share information on this interesting option!
I didn't look at the Boulder Ridge thread but I was curious about shipping luggage. This is some information I found:
https://www.afar.com/magazine/how-to-ship-luggage

My concern about shipping to the resort these days (whether luggage or anything else) is - what if I wake up the morning I'm supposed to travel, and I cancel my trip becausr I have covid? What happens to whatever I shipped to the resort?

I would want to have a plan for that.

Would be interesting to compare prices for those 3rd parties vs airlines. With some airlines you get a free bag or two depending on the type of ticket you have or if you belong to one of their frequent flyer clubs. Typically, the things you use the morning of your travel could be a challenge since likely you have to get the luggage to them a day or two before you plan to travel. Someone might have an extra toothbrush, but for something like an electric shaver how many people have more then one of them? No idea if any of them offer home pickup, but I assume that involves an extra charge. Returning it to them on your last day of travel would also present some challenges.

Overall, I don't really see what you gain by doing this, clearly they charge for this service and then likely use well-known shippers like Fedex/DHL or UPS so this would simply be an add-on charge. Anyone handling your luggage has the potential for delays and/or lost luggage so I don't see this as a solution if your primary concern is about airlines losing your luggage.

(I did a search on "Boulder Ridge" and found several threads unrelated to shipping luggage, so I am not sure which specific thread you are referring to.)

Last edited:
Would be interesting to compare prices for those 3rd parties vs airlines. With some airlines you get a free bag or two depending on the type of ticket you have or if you belong to one of their frequent flyer clubs. Typically, the things you use the morning of your travel could be a challenge since likely you have to get the luggage to them a day or two before you plan to travel. Someone might have an extra toothbrush, but for something like an electric shaver how many people have more then one of them? No idea if any of them offer home pickup, but I assume that involves an extra charge. Returning it to them on your last day of travel would also present some challenges.

Overall, I don't really see what you gain by doing this, clearly they charge for this service and then likely use well-known shippers like Fedex/DHL or UPS so this would simply be an add-on charge. Anyone handling your luggage has the potential for delays and/or lost luggage so I don't see this as a solution if your primary concern is about airlines losing your luggage.

(I did a search on "Boulder Ridge" and found several threads unrelated to shipping luggage, so I am not sure which specific thread you are referring to.)
The article posted by @rlk answers most of those questions.

In your example, you could put your sole electric shaver in your carry on.

What I would gain is not having to drag multiple suitcases through the airport while wrangling small children. I was looking for a replacement for the luggage handling that we always found convenient with Magical Express and Resort Airline Check In, both of which have been discontinued.

I referred to a Boulder Ridge thread where this subject came up. I was trying to follow board rules by not taking that thread off topic with a continuance of a discussion of luggage. That thread was about resort refurbishments. It's not necessary for you to read that thread to understand this thread. My reference to it was merely my attempt to segue to this conversation with the poster I tagged in my first post.

Threads often carry on for many pages and frequently go off in all sorts of directions. I don't see any point in paying some 3rd party to ship my luggage, but perhaps it is a good alternative for some.

Threads often carry on for many pages and frequently go off in all sorts of directions. I don't see any point in paying some 3rd party to ship my luggage, but perhaps it is a good alternative for some.
I certainly do see the point. Wrangling small children and luggage is as far from a vacation as I can imagine.

As someone handicap (wheelchair user) traveling with one other person - I have been looking for a company to ship luggage both ways. Since Disney eliminated Resort Airline check in\luggage returning from resort to airport has been a true nightmare. Drop off from Mears Connect or Sunshine Flyer (require chair lift on bus) - you literally are stranded with luggage, wheelchair and no assist at airport.

FWIW, I think checking out branded airline credit cards or Amex Platinum/Chase Sapphire line-up is a better option for getting free checked bags rather than shipping luggage. But your mileage may vary.

I have a walking disability and either use a cane or wheelchair depending on how I feel that day. DH is left to deal with luggage and can only handle so much. We bought Away large carry ons and a tote and use vacuum bags to compress clothing (run clothes through the dryer with a dryer sheet and damp towel to get the wrinkles out). The bags seem to hold a lot and are pretty indestructible and roll easily without tipping over.

We used shipgo.com last year. It was a smooth process though about $100 to ship a large 65 lb suitcase one way. In the end, it was well worth it as we were able to travel light. You can ship both ways and they are very nice and helpful.

We shipped a few fixed price usps boxes in May. No charge to pick up at the desk - just make sure you address it to yourself as a *guest*. We sometimes ship a few boxes home again via usps from Celebration PO. We have a sharpie roll of packing tape and scissors. It's one price so the heavy stuff goes in there...even with a W/D we like to have a couple outfits per day.

We had our new Owners Locker sent to our resort in May and filled it with personal care items, pj's, swim stuff, sandals and a complete outfit for each of us. We got a great discount with our AP's and will save time and aggravation packing and repacking the same items twice a year.

So we use multiple methods to achieve our desire to have everything we need without dragging huge bags through equally huge airports. I hope some of these ideas are helpful!

Yes, it costs to ship luggage, but sometimes it's not about the money. I totally get it if you are trying to wrangle several small children and are vacationing for a week or two. One of the BEST parts of Magical Express (maybe THE best part) was when they did all the baggage handling. If I could get it checked in at my home airport, I never even saw my luggage until it arrived at the door of my room. Gosh, that was Magical!

I don't see any point in paying some 3rd party to ship my luggage, but perhaps it is a good alternative for some.
You are right. It's a great alternative for some people. Parents with little kids in tow, solo parent with little kids in tow, solo travelers in wheelchairs, older folks with limited mobility, younger folks with limited mobility. Many people benefit by paying some 3rd party to ship my luggage.

Thanks @rlk for posting that article.

I just saw this thread about a post I mentioned shipping luggage! Yes we use shipgo! So here is an example. We live in Southern NJ so we can go to Philly or Atlantic City. We have 3 airlines direct. American, Spirit and Frontier.

So we have a trip in May Sunday to Friday. Tickets for 2 with one piece of luggage under 40 pounds is running between 700 to 800 in price. If we ship a large bag 60 pounds at 75.00 each way, our tickets, and paying to choose a seat each way. 260 for tickets and 150 in luggage and seats. 410. We would be on Spirit or Frontier. The only downfall is not getting our luggage till Tuesday when we return home. We can track it to know it has arrived and waiting.

I do think it is very dependent on your airlines you have in your area, and extra fees. Even American has a higher price for a seat and 30 each way for one piece of luggage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter