Shipped Souvenirs Home ... Worked Great!!!

cindala

<font color=blue>Must solemnly vow NEVER to toggle
For the first time this year, we decided to ship home some of our souvenirs instead of waiting to take them home with us. This worked so great, that I wish I had started doing it sooner!!

One night, shopping at DTD at the World of Disney Store, everyone of us had large purchases (for us, co-workers, friends etc,). So I used my DC 10% discount there, and then had the merchandise shipped home. They didn't charge any Florida sales tax, so the shipping was almost free! Plus, all the items were insured, incase they broke in transit. The souvenirs arrived home 1 day after us, and kind of cheered us up from being being in shock that the vacation was over already!! They told us it takes about 1-2 days from purchase to be shipped, and then allow shipping time. We chose the cheapest shipping rate, and it still came quickly.

We didn't have to worry about fitting these larger purchases into suitcases and carryons for the plane trip home, or worry about anything breaking. I would recommend shipping for the convenience! I know I will be doing this from now on!:):D:)

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Thanks for the great idea.....we also have a DC membership. We'll take advantage of your tip!

We have also shipped our purchases home from our resort. After I spent a week collecting things, I realized that I had exceeded my luggage space (and we still had our Disney Cruise to go)!! My Dh took all of our packages down to guest services and they had someone from (shipping??) help him package them to send home. It really did not cost that much and came very quickly.

We did the same thing in April and it was great! Would def. do it again. We had it shipped from our resort. We were told it had to be items purchased in the parks, so we just held on to all our receipts. It really wasnt a problem but it would have been one if we tried to get the stuff in our suitcases!! We just packed things we bought for others in our suitcases so we could hand that out but anything we bought for ourselves was shipped and it was nice to go through that box after our vacation was over!! I found lots of stuff I forgot I bought. My son also bought me a surpise at TDS ( Tink Globe) and had that shipped home to me with no problems either. Nice surprise!

Silly question....does the resort or DD store provide the packing materials for you to ship your goodies home??

Both the YC and Swan proviced packing materials for us. They even did most of the packing while my DH 'supervsed'!!

They pack everything for you in the store, you just fill out a form with your mailing address and leave, they handle the rest. In case you want to mail something from you hotel, ask at the front desk and they usually will supply you with boxes...Never had a problem with items shipped home, and like mentioned above the cost saving with FL sales tax paid for shipping....

The CM at the World of Disney in DTD told me that they don't do the packing. Everything you buy is carefully wrapped in tissue (if breakable), and placed in bags. Then central shipping picks up the items, and packs them to be shipped. Our box arrived with a brown paper accordian type shipping material. If you ever had a breakable wrapped down there, it's like that same material, (makes everything look twice as big)!

The best part of shipping from the stores is that the packages arrive pretty quickly!:):D:)

Wow and with the airlines restricting the amount of luggage you can take without paying extra this is a great option to know about!!;) ;)

I'm adding this to the Secrets on the, Disney Vacation Planner, I use!! Too Cool!

Check it out here you can have one too!
Disney Vacation Planner
http://www.intercot.com/planner/default.asp

Anything that I buy that is large size-wise is shipped home. It's a great feature and really not that expensive!

That is actually a great idea...I think we'll be shipping all of our gifts home also to avoid lugging all those bags! We also have the DC card, so with the discount and no Florida sales tax, it would just pay for the shipping!!!! THANKS for the cool idea!!!:smooth:

Sounds like a good idea ... especially since I always run out of suitcase space. :rolleyes: Out of curiosity, how much is shipping? Or I could just purchase a Mickey suitcase instead *lol*

bunnyfoo,
First we received a 10% discount with our DC card, ($27.80).
The Florida tax would have been $15.02, but was deducted.
The shipping was $15.95. This was for merchandise over $100 and the cheapest for that $ amount.
We made the purchases on a Saturday night, and received the package the following Monday.

Obviously, it probably wouldn't be cost saving to just ship one little thing home, but for larger items (towels, t-shirts, breakables), or larger purchases, it sure is worth it, especially since it's insured, and also with the 10% discount!:):D:)

Ah! I was wondering because I wanted to purchase a few stuffed animals which were on the slightly larger side ... I've got DC so I'll be able to use the discount next time! Thanks Cindala! :D

Im Confused about the Tax idea. Is there no Sales Tax in Florida ?

drdisney: I believe that if you purchase your items in Florida and have them shipped to your home address (versus taking them with you in your luggage) you can avoid the sales tax as an out of state buyer. "Duty free" so to speak.

Is this for ALL Stores in Florida or just over at WDW . I have heard of duty free if your going on a cruise but not for being in the united states.

drdisney,
You are only charged sales tax if you are shipping from a store/company in one state that has a store/company in your state. Since the World of Disney is a one of a kind store located only in Florida, only those buying and shipping within Florida will pay Florida sales tax. I hope I explained that well!:D

Originally posted by drdisney
Im Confused about the Tax idea. Is there no Sales Tax in Florida ?

Florida does have sales tax, but if you have you items shipped to another state, they are not applied. Much like when you order from a cataloge or on line form a company in another state and they do not add sales tax.

I understand about shipping large items, but what about including small items in the same packaging? Also, if you purchase these items at the World of Disney store and don't ship them then and then decide to ship them the next day at your hotel do they credit the tax - how does that work?

This is a great idea and I am going to use it when we go on our trip in October - Thanks!!

Lisa

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter