*shakes head in confusion....*

TinkerBelle_325

DIS Veteran
I honestly don't understand half the people in this area of the DIS. I guess the fact that I am a teenager influences my confusion but why do you compare attendance? Disney surely ISN'T going bankrupt, what does it matter if Universal is up more than Disney. With Sept 11th it is a very odd year to be making such comparisons as we can' possibly expect the companies to be up at all or by much. I feel that people on this thread are talking about meaningless things.

Disney to me is a magical and wonderful place. I don't care if the give me "what they want" as opposed to "what I want" What on earth does that mean? Obviously they are giving people things that they like!!! I mean it is near impossible to get reservations unless you book a year ahead.

As far as other non-Disney parks. They don't have near the same appeal, not even Universal, could you go to Universal for a week? No because there are only 2 parks, could you go to Six Flags or Paramount parks for a week? No because there isn't enough for you to do. Disney can keep you there for a week, two weeks etc... and there will still be things you haven't been able to do. The appeal of Disney is that it is meant to make people feel child like to escape the worries and crazy fast paced society that exists in the world. you are mean to feel carefree. And when you focus on complaining about what you AREN'T getting you can't possibly appreciate what you ARE getting. Which is a feeling and experience that is found IMO no where else on earth.

Tink - I'm guessing you meant to respond to the attendance thread based on your comments.

I just wanted to agree with this.....

And when you focus on complaining about what you AREN'T getting you can't possibly appreciate what you ARE getting.

While it doesn't mean they can't appreciate what they are getting, it sure makes it more difficult.

That doesn't mean that people should just be happy with what Disney gives them, or make excuses, or be an apologist, or settle..... (I've been accused of all of those) but you can find a way to take the good with the bad - and there is much more good than bad - until things change. When?, how? - I don't know, but you can do your part to effect this change by voicing your displeasure while you find ways to soak up the abundant Magic that is all around.

I think that is what you really see here. Everyone on these boards loves Disney. Everyone goes and enjoys - but for some it helps to vent - and have some interesting discussion.

While you may be in car 1 right now, it's because you don't know what WDW used to be. I hate to say that age is the important factor here, but it is. Those of us who've been going years and years see what's missing where someone else with limited experience wouldn't notice. We've grown up with excellent animation and now see what only passes for animation. Not since the Lion King has WDW cranked out some powerhouse animation. And it's not that we expect WDW to continue to fail, but rather, we hope and prod for WDW to get "back to its roots", to strive again for the standard they used to set for the world.

Many of us are taking our own children to WDW now and, despite how wonderful a time they have, there's always that thought in the back of our mind that they aren't going to be able to appreciate it as much as I did because of all that has fallen by the wayside. They don't know what they're missing, but we do.

That doesn't mean that WDW is still not the best entertainment and magic you can fnd anywhere in the world!! I still love WDW!! But I also lament how much better it used to be when it was the benchmark for entertainment, quality, friendliness and cleanliness all over the world.

Megara,
Its sometimes hard to tell from many of the posts here, but we all love Disney. We feel that Disney World is a magical place, unlike any other on earth. Heck, I'm going back there next month, so I there must be something I like about the place.

So, if we love the place so much, why do we complain so much? Well, I complain because I am afraid we are going to lose it. I complain because the practices and ideas that went into building this magical place no longer seem to be a priority for Disney. I fear that unless Disney returns to these practices, the parks I love so much will not be able to compete in tomorrows market.

I was the one who started the thread on Universal vs Disney. The point I was trying to make is that Disney is doing what they feel is easiest, rather than finding out what the market wants and deleivering that. This is a definite turn from they way Disney operated prior to 1995. I used Universal as an example of the oposite. Universal knows its core market (which is very different from Disney's) and works hard to deliver what they want. The results are that Universals attendance is up while Disney's is down.

Yes, Disney still does give people what they want, but only in the form of things that have been built for a long time. I would argue that much of what they are doing now in the US (Dinorama, The new Magic Carpet ride, Californa Adventure) is not what people want (I know its not what I want). This trend worries me. A company has to continue giving people new things that they want in order to stay viable in the long term.

What you said about bookings might have been true in the past, but I don't think it is any longer. Some of the most popular resorts may be full at some peak times, but for the most part attendance is way down and you can call a week in advance and still get into most resorts. To be fair, a lot of this is due to 9/11 and the economy, but I think there is more to it than that, otherwise Universal's attendance would be down too. I think that people are waiting for Disney to provide them with a new reason to come back.

I understand your frustration. At times the posts on the rumors board seem to focus entirely on the bad and ignore the good. But if you dig deep, you will find trip reports and comments that show just how much we love Disney World. Its just that we remember a day when the place was even more magical than it is today. We want to bring that day back. We fear the parks may someday sink into mediocrity and we are trying to sound the alarm now before that has a chance to happen.

In any case, feel free to whack us upside the head if we get too negative. Sometimes we need a different perspective like yours to remind us of why we go to the parks in the first place.

I understand where you are coming from but as far as age goes, I'm 17 and have been going to Disney neary every year since I was 2. I agree there are some things that Disney could do better. And some things that they used to do that I miss. Some prime examples are Early Entry and the old Hopper passes (You would buy a pass, you could park hop for five to seven days and have UNLIMITED use of Typhoon, Blizzard Beach, Pleasure Island for 7 days, those were great.

I know that some things aren't as great as they used to be, I think that the economy due to 9/11 is the main factor. I would just be happy to hear more happy rumours, such as those about new rides, improvements on rides, refurbishments of hotels etc....

I guess it was just a very unpleasant shock as I was expecting excited happy rumours and found negative, and somewhat pestimistic complaints

And when you focus on complaining about what you AREN'T getting you can't possibly appreciate what you ARE getting.

Tink and DK, I have to take MAJOR issue with this statement.

First of all, what you call complaining, most would consider constructive criticism. Nobody (or very few) is "complaining" without offering ideas for improvement.

Not only CAN I appreciate something that I have criticism of, I DO appreciate it. I LOVE going to WDW and DL. I'll go out on a limb and say I enjoy myself as much as you do. And my memories of time spent there with my family are precious to me.

However, how Disney performs against its competition is VERY relevant to its future. The fact is, if the competition starts taking your customers, you are in trouble. Is that happening? I don't know for sure, but if you wait until it becomes obvious, its too late to do much about it.

I would just be happy to hear more happy rumours, such as those about new rides, improvements on rides, refurbishments of hotels etc....
So would I. Unfortunately, there just aren't many to go around. Entire lands that were promised have been axed without replacement. The few new additions of late have been nothing unique.

And now, earnings are dropping, including in the theme parks.

I guess it was just a very unpleasant shock as I was expecting excited happy rumours and found negative, and somewhat pestimistic complaints
Don't shoot the messenger...

Just remember, if we didn't love Disney, and specifically the parks, we wouldn't care enough to discuss it. If we didn't care, it could go down the tubes like Enron and you still wouldn't find websites like this with passionate pleas for changes.

Tink -

Much of that can be laid at Disney's door. Lately there hasn't been much in the way of "happy rumors" to report. Flik's Fun Fair is opening at DCA in CA (to somewhat lukewarm reviews so far), rumors persist (without any substance as far as I can tell) of a third Disney cruise line, Mission Space is being built. That's about it. There's no buzz yet about Treasure Planet or Finding Nemo.

There are, however, unfortunately a lot of negative rumors - ABC's fall line up looks pretty weak, the Pop Century hotel looks pretty hokey, the Carribean Beach Resort is being closed for rehab, the new ABC show at MGM/Studios seems less than stellar, the awful Direct to Video animation 'sequals', as well as other closures and cutbacks.

Part of the problem that you're seeing is that when you get a bunch of dedicated Disney-philes like us together, we tend to discuss what could make things better, what has changed that we dislike, who did what and why we think this, that or the other thing happened.

When Disney isn't doing much except watch it's stock price fall, we discuss. When Disney is making things we speculate. You happen to find us in a discussion phase. Keep checking back & you'll see when Disney starts doing good stuff again.

Sarangel

Well Tink I've come to view this section of the DIS boards as sorta like a big 'ol porch full of old guys in rocking chairs sittin' around and reminiscing about how we used to be able to fill up our gas tanks and buy a Coke for a dollar and swapping stories about how it's all been going downhill since Elvis died...

You will find that there are folks here that know Disney inside and out - and there be some nifty inside rumors and stories presented.

But to find them you will have to wade through the frustration/anger being vented by people who see decisions being made by the Disney company that threaten to destroy the very things that made Disney so special.

You might want to wait until after the present senior management retires from Disney to start 'watching' these discussions - until then it's likely that attitudes will not be changing...

Originally posted by TinkerBelle_325

I know that some things aren't as great as they used to be, I think that the economy due to 9/11 is the main factor. I would just be happy to hear more happy rumours, such as those about new rides, improvements on rides, refurbishments of hotels etc....

Another error in your writting. Disney's problems started long before 9-11. Stick around and read more of the post and you will see this. 9/11 only made the problems worse.

Originally posted by Sarangel
Flik's Fun Fair is opening at DCA in CA (to somewhat lukewarm reviews so far)

On this board perhaps, but elsewhere on the 'net FFF is getting a big thumbs up from most people.

Dial it back Mr. Matt ;). Notice how similar our posts are...

Me

it doesn't mean they can't appreciate what they are getting

Everyone on these boards loves Disney. Everyone goes and enjoys

but you can find a way to take the good with the bad - and there is much more good than bad - until things change. When?, how? - I don't know, but you can do your part to effect this change by voicing your displeasure while you find ways to soak up the abundant Magic that is all around.

You

Not only CAN I appreciate something that I have criticism of, I DO appreciate it. I LOVE going to WDW and DL. I'll go out on a limb and say I enjoy myself as much as you do.

Just remember, if we didn't love Disney, and specifically the parks, we wouldn't care enough to discuss it. If we didn't care, it could go down the tubes like Enron and you still wouldn't find websites like this with passionate pleas for changes.

While we may interpret things a little differently, I think we are on the same page. However, I think that a medium such as this makes it very easy for people to lose a little perspective. Some people do just complain. Others provide constructive criticism. But soemtimes the discussion of either goes a little overboard. Sometimes it even degrades into name calling and animosity. This is a Disney discussion board. This is supposed to be fun. Sometimes that gets lost in the shuffle. I have evolved my Disney thinking since playing around this board. I can see both sides of most issues. I find myself between cars. However, lately things have been a little overly negative, IMHO.

That leads me to another discussion I had been thinking of starting. Is this just about Disney? Is it all about a company or a theme park, or is it something more?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter