Service dog fraud?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdmondD

DIS Veteran
On a trip this month I saw more dogs in the parks in seven days than maybe ever combined in all previous trips. The dogs in most cases were wearing "service animal" identification.

I'm no service dog expert, but I've been around people who needed them. They are not really treated like pets when they are "working." Many of the dogs I saw in the parks seem to be treated like, well, more pets than working/service animals. (Holding the dog playfully up on his hind legs, in one case, to get close enough to feel the splash of a fountain, for example. Carrying a tiny dog around under one's arm, in another.)

Am I seeing things?

A bit of googling indicates service animal fraud is a growing concern. With ADA, Disney can't really stop people from saying their dog is required because of a disability. But is this just really a bunch of people who want to bring pets into the parks?

I love dogs, btw, and the dogs I saw were well behaved. But this seems inappropriate, if it's the case.

Yeah, we had one next table over in Cape May last Oct. Followed the owner to the buffet table every time. We're dog lovers and this was not upsetting but i do agree there's abuse going on. How long before people start claiming allergies or phobias to animals in response?

Bill From PA

Yeah, we had one next table over in Cape May last Oct. Followed the owner to the buffet table every time. We're dog lovers and this was not upsetting but i do agree there's abuse going on. How long before people start claiming allergies or phobias to animals in response?

Bill From PA

I need to carry my fake service/pet macaw to calm the anxiety your fake service/pet labradoodle is causing me.

A coworker of mine admitted to registering his standard poodle as a service dog so they can take him on vacations. There is no one in his family that needs a service animal. He said all you need to do is take them to a class then register them. Not sure if its really that easy but why lie about something like that?

I do agree that there are some people abusing the system, but service dogs are becoming more affordable in many areas so more people are able to get them. For the one where it was a small lap dog under their arm, it could easily be a dog that is trained to sniff out an epileptic seizure coming on or other "hidden" issues. I know someone with a small dog who will alert to her oncoming seizures, but it's also treated as a pet so it would be hard to tell if they were walking around the park.

On a trip this month I saw more dogs in the parks in seven days than maybe ever combined in all previous trips. The dogs in most cases were wearing "service animal" identification.

I'm no service dog expert, but I've been around people who needed them. They are not really treated like pets when they are "working." Many of the dogs I saw in the parks seem to be treated like, well, more pets than working/service animals. (Holding the dog playfully up on his hind legs, in one case, to get close enough to feel the splash of a fountain, for example. Carrying a tiny dog around under one's arm, in another.)

Am I seeing things?

A bit of googling indicates service animal fraud is a growing concern. With ADA, Disney can't really stop people from saying their dog is required because of a disability. But is this just really a bunch of people who want to bring pets into the parks?

I love dogs, btw, and the dogs I saw were well behaved. But this seems inappropriate, if it's the case.

We were at WDW FROM May 9-16. And we thought the very same thing. We saw more service dogs than on any other trip in 25 years. All types and sizes. Black labs, golden labs, retrievers, a bichon frisé, a pair of westies, a dachshund and a chiahuahua one small poodle and at least 2 maybe 3 yorkies. We kind of made it a little game to see how many we could spot. We think it was more than a dozen across the parks for 8 days.

Our selfish society strikes again. There are literally hundreds of websites that can "register" your dog as an emotional support animal, or better yet, as a service animal where you can take them literally wherever you want to go. Real service dogs do not require certification and are legitimately trained to do something to mitigate someone's disability. The losers here are people with legitimate disabilities that are now looked down on or questioned because others decided that rules don't apply to them.

Can you say Disability Access Service, anyone?

I do agree that there are some people abusing the system, but service dogs are becoming more affordable in many areas so more people are able to get them. For the one where it was a small lap dog under their arm, it could easily be a dog that is trained to sniff out an epileptic seizure coming on or other "hidden" issues. I know someone with a small dog who will alert to her oncoming seizures, but it's also treated as a pet so it would be hard to tell if they were walking around the park.

Thanks - I was looking for a response like this. Something that maybe makes sense/legitimacy of it all.

More and more people have been claiming therapy dog at Disneyland for years now.

I believe that Disneyland has announced only dogs with specific certification will be allowed (papers will be checked), but I can't find the news story.

I agree that now a days there are all sorts of service animals out there and did see quite a bit of them on our trip in April. But I also know that, yup, people can easily register them as a service dog for moral support. My sister in law did this with her pit bull so she could take it anywhere she wanted (because pit bulls are not allowed everywhere). So while I'm sure most are legit, some, are not. :rolleyes1

I agree that there is abuse, but remember that there are "hidden" issues - like the Veteran who gets nervous in large crowds but wants to take his kids to see mickey - you wouldn't think anything is wrong, but that dog is there to help with a panic attack - it doesn't have to be a large dog to be able to do that

From the absolute explosion of these animals in the last 5 years, my gut feeling is a majority are not legitimate, but that's my personal opinion.

Comfort dogs, emotional distress dogs, etc. are not service dogs.

Edited to add: This is not to say that anything can or should be done about it...

ADA should give legit service animals a credential as part of the very expensive training this dogs get in order to service the disabled, and that way they can be identified from "assistance" dogs from a website, I understand people might find cheaper to just take the pet they already own and get the certificate, but is ridiculous to let them inside restaurants and amusement parks. This will happens when one of this dogs bite or do harm to other park goers.

This is kind of a "pet" peeve (notice what I did there?).

Under the umbrella of legitimate service animals, tons of pets are gaining entry into WDW - as well as flights, restaurants, etc.

A couple of years ago I was sitting in the area of the magic carpet attraction in MK. A VERY ill behaved dog was with a family near me. The pooch was jumping on everyone who walked by, barking loudly, urinating on the trash bins and rock walls. I asked the dad about the dog and he flat-out told me that he got an online service dog card/vest for the dog. The animal was no more "service" than the average pet.

ADA should give legit service animals a credential as part of the very expensive training this dogs get in order to service the disabled, and that way they can be identified from "assistance" dogs from a website, I understand people might find cheaper to just take the pet they already own and get the certificate, but is ridiculous to let them inside restaurants and amusement parks. This will happens when one of this dogs bite or do harm to other park goers.

:thumbsup2

Agree 100%

Unfortunately this comes up all the time lately and businesses hands are tied.

I know at least 3 people who claim service dog when it is convenient for them. One who actually takes the dogs everywhere they go and maybe they are actual service dogs even though they are poorly socialized. Two only claim it when it is convenient so they want their dog with them at a party hosted as a place that doesn't allow pets, they want to fly them for free, or they want to take them to Disney World. Thankfully one is not someone I have to deal with all the time. The other has pretty much stopped it except for a few occasions after she finally realized the dog was not fit to be out in public. The third I stopped being friends with. It was the straw on the camels back.

Service dogs provide such a wonderful tool for so many disabilities and it is a shame that their legitimacy is being questioned because of frauds. There are so many frauds around though so it is being stuck in a rock and hard place. The worst ones are the "trainers" who want to bring in a pack of dogs and claim service dog training. I'm sorry you don't need to be training 5 dogs at once. If that is the case you should have 5 handlers with you. Also the ones who just let their dogs use the bathroom where ever they want and then don't clean up after them. I usually assume the best until proven other wise but once you let your dog crap and then don't clean it up even if your service dog is a real service dog you just lost all good will towards those around you. Same for people who say their dog is a real service dog but it is aggressive towards other dogs, people, children etc. A real service dog has to be fit to be out in the general population and if it has aggression it is not.

The only way I could see a down turn on the fraud is a business finally saying enough and taking someone to court over it. In Fl you can actually get a pretty hefty fine and jail time but there is no clear way on how to report/catch fakers.

The massive problem is that in order to keep service dogs more affordable you can self train and there is 0 certification for them to go through. Also documenting a disability under the ADA doesn't even work because you could have an ADA recognized disability but still the dog being passed off as a service animal doesn't actually do anything to mitigate the disability. The big line between Emotional Support Animals (not protected for anything other then airline travel and housing) and Service Animals is the trained service that directly helps with the disability. However some people will claim opening a doors is enough to push ESA into SA territory even though opening a door isn't affected by their disability but now their dog has a trained task.

If it really is a big deal to everyone here the only thing that can be done is to write your federal representatives and try and get an amendment to the ADA passed. I know a lot of legit owners want something to be done because now legit service dogs are having to face uncertainty while working because they may get attacked by ill trained dogs, be approached for play, and it sadly creates instant negative reactions to legit dogs form the general pop. I mean almost everyone has a story now of a badly trained pet being passed of as a service animal and that is not good at all.

A coworker of mine admitted to registering his standard poodle as a service dog so they can take him on vacations. There is no one in his family that needs a service animal. He said all you need to do is take them to a class then register them. Not sure if its really that easy but why lie about something like that?

Well he's not just wrong for doing that, but he's wrong in thinking there's any class or certification service dogs need.

Now for dogs who help the blind and other simliar things they DO need training. But I met people in my town who accidentally discovered that 2 of their 3 lovely big can't-recall-the-breed dogs could sense their son's diabetic blood sugar changes and would naturally alert the family. Their son is an adult and came back from Iraq with PTSD and a TBI, and he now lives with them. He also has diabetes, but the dogs were new to them from while he was deployed so they didn't know the dogs' abilities. And one night two of them came into the parents' bedroom and very urgently woke them up. His had dipped dangerously low and they sensed it and knew just what to do. They are now his service dogs. No training needed.

For the one where it was a small lap dog under their arm, it could easily be a dog that is trained to sniff out an epileptic seizure coming on

Yep! Or blood sugar changes before the person would even think to check (or while they are sleeping).

Real service dogs do not require certification and are legitimately trained to do something to mitigate someone's disability.

Yep.

The losers here are people with legitimate disabilities that are now looked down on or questioned because others decided that rules don't apply to them.

Only by jerks who are looking for reasons to look down on those with disabilities.

Businesses are allowed to ask certain questions, and then move on.

Businesses and housing are also allowed to kick out a service dog *just as they could kick out a human behaving badly*.

I believe that Disneyland has announced only dogs with specific certification will be allowed (papers will be checked), but I can't find the news story.

Alas there's no central certification. So that's going to be difficult.

ADA should give legit service animals a credential as part of the very expensive training this dogs get in order to service the disabled

Not all dogs require expensive training.

I'm not in favor of putting yet another hurdle up for a disabled person to get a service dog.

This will happens when one of this dogs bite or do harm to other park goers.

If that happens now the dog can be kicked out. They are treated like a human, and if the human bites someone in a themepark they will be kicked out.

A VERY ill behaved dog was with a family near me. The pooch was jumping on everyone who walked by, barking loudly, urinating on the trash bins and rock walls. I asked the dad about the dog and he flat-out told me that he got an online service dog card/vest for the dog. The animal was no more "service" than the average pet.

And when you went to the CMs there and told them about both the behavior and the fact that the dog did nto perform a service for the man, what happened?

The behavior alone, just like if it was a human doing that, would have consequences.

Unfortunately this comes up all the time lately and businesses hands are tied.

Well, they feel like their hands are tied, but they aren't. Even if the person lies in response to the legally allowed questions, if the animal acts up they CAN kick them out. Businesses tend to be scared, but from what I've read on ADA pages and I believe even here on the Disabilities page there has not yet been a lawsuit that doesn't favor the business. As long as the dog is legitimately behaving very very poorly, the business is within their rights to treat them as they would a poorly behaving human.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter