Sept 4-8 2005 Wonder S.S. Member Cruise!

Status
Not open for further replies.
HookdonWDW said:
Try reloading your Print Artist software. I run XP, and I have no problems running Print Artist. Good luck!

Thanks, I'll try again.

HI, Gang!!!! :wave2: I am Alikat's hubby! heh heh there's my girls above me!

Just stopping by to say hi! I will probably snoop around and pop in and out. As Amy can attest, I am not shy in providing my opinion on things. Be careful, though, I am usually honest and direct (some consider it non-PC :confused3 ). But that's me! :goodvibes

I look forward to posting and chatting with y'all ("you all" for folks not from the south, "yous" for those of you from Chicago, NY, etc :earboy2: ). I also look forward to seeing everyone on the cruise!

BTW, it is a little rainy here in FL... :umbrella:

Welcome Chris. :wave2:

dvcChrisVWL said:
"yous" for those of you from Chicago, NY, etc :earboy2: ).

Not in my neck of the Chicago woods -- it's just "you" up here. :p :teeth:

dvcChrisVWL said:
BTW, it is a little rainy here in FL... :umbrella:

We're thinking about all of you down in Florida. I just read the Dennis made landfall around Pensacola. Hope all is well down there.

WDWLVR said:
Cindy - just so you know you can purchase arcade cards that have so much $$$ on them and give them to Cameron. That way he'll have some responsibility but also some freedom to go to the arcade on his own or with friends. The games require the cards to work - they don't take cash.

Maybe this is what I was thinking about. I'm sure that's all he's going to need. After all, if he gets hungry, he can always go back to the room and order something from room service. Cameron's really looking forward to doing that at 2 a.m. :faint: Maybe he'll order the chili. ;)

HookdonWDW said:
Sam's card will also be free of charging powers, but we'll get him an arcade card. For those of you with 10/11 y/o's... are you giving your kids permission to sign themselves in/out of the Lab? I gave ds permission when I registered him last week, but I think we'll put some limitations on when he can sign out, where he can go, and who he can go with.
Hi HookdonWDW !
I also registered my DD10 with sign out privileges but am reconsidering. Just too much could go wrong in addition to my DD8 who would want the same privilege. With a pager, it almost seems too easy to just pop on down and pick them up.

-Carol

HookdonWDW said:
Sam's card will also be free of charging powers, but we'll get him an arcade card. For those of you with 10/11 y/o's... are you giving your kids permission to sign themselves in/out of the Lab? I gave ds permission when I registered him last week, but I think we'll put some limitations on when he can sign out, where he can go, and who he can go with.!

I did for Cameron. I agree with certain limitations, I just will have to wait until we get there to know what they are going to be.

HookdonWDW said:
He's very good about following those kind of rules, and has a keen sense of "stranger danger". ROFL... he accidently went to school in a non-uniform shirt last year, and realized it when he reached school (we lived a few blocks away). His best friend's dad was dropping him off, and offered ds a ride home. DS said "No thank you sir," and jogged home. He came back to the door huffing and puffing and went to grab a polo. Next thing I knew, the doorbell was ringing, and it was the friend's dad asking if it was okay to give ds a ride back to school. He was very impressed that ds turned him down (this is someone he had regular sleepovers with), and said he hoped his ds would do the same. Gotta love it when kids prove that they've actually listened to something you've said!!!

Cameron & Sam sound a like in this respect. Towards the end of school, Cameron & a friend rode bikes home. Usually they are home rather quickly but this day, they were not. Just as I'm about to panic thinking something happened along the way, they round the corner. Cameron tells me they stopped off at a different friends house to see her pet. Then Cameron asks if it would have been okay for him to go inside the house to see the pet. He knows our rule, you don't go into strangers houses. So, he chose not to go inside, the friend he was riding home with did. In Cameron's eyes, this was a stranger but in all actuality, it wasn't since he went to school with this girl since kindergarten and we truly know them.

I think it's better to be on the cautious side. A couple weeks back, we went to Six Flags Great America. Cameron thought Gary was going to join him and his friend on a ride. They waited for Gary to come along and he didn't (since he wasn't planning on riding it). Cameron came back to find out where his Dad was. His friend, OTOH, chose to continue on in line and rode without Cameron. Then we were all waiting for the friend to get off once it was over.

Now that I've written a novel here, I think we know our kids best. There is a BIG degree of maturity at age 10. Cameron has some friends who would not have a problem checking themselves out. There are others who just aren't ready. But, for Cameron, I think he'll do okay. :)

cgcw said:
Not in my neck of the Chicago woods -- it's just "you" up here. :p :teeth:

heh heh I have a friend from Chicago the used to always say "yous" or "yous guys". She is from the northwest suburbs.

Hey, we were up your way just last weekend. We went up there on Friday morning (July 1), did the Taste all day, then visited friends and family in Berwin, Arlinton Heights, Elgin, Streamwood, and Huntley. We stayed in Rosemont (I lived there for a year). It was great weather Fri and Sat. We flew back here Monday night, July 4. We did manage to see a few fireworks from the plane, but missed a big display one night because the girls were a bit crabby...

Have you ever eaten breakfast at a Walker Brothers restaurant? I *LOVE* their Apple Pancake!!!! You have to get there early if you want to avoid the line that can get to be out the door and into the parking lot!

As a first time cruiser I have another question. Must the snorkeling gear for Castaway Cay be reserved in advance, or can that be done on board the ship?

dvcChrisVWL said:
heh heh I have a friend from Chicago the used to always say "yous" or "yous guys". She is from the northwest suburbs.

I suspect your friend lived someplace else before the Northwest suburbs. We're in Schaumburg and I can't think of anyone who says "yous". "You guys" - yes. We're on the other side of town from Woodfield, which I know Amy posted that she worked at when you lived up this way.

dvcChrisVWL said:
Hey, we were up your way just last weekend. We went up there on Friday morning (July 1), did the Taste all day.

Sad but true, I've lived here all of my years and have never been the the Taste. Maybe next year. :)

dvcChrisVWL said:
We did manage to see a few fireworks from the plane

I've always wondered what it would be like to see and not hear fireworks. A bit odd, I suspect.

dvcChrisVWL said:
Have you ever eaten breakfast at a Walker Brothers restaurant? I *LOVE* their Apple Pancake!!!! You have to get there early if you want to avoid the line that can get to be out the door and into the parking lot!

Oh yeah, gotta have the Apple pancake. Why do you think we named our youngest Walker? :rotfl2:

grumpy-1 said:
As a first time cruiser I have another question. Must the snorkeling gear for Castaway Cay be reserved in advance, or can that be done on board the ship?

We've always reserved in advance, but my guess is that you can wait until you get on the ship - it's not as limited as some of the other things like parasailing which books up very quick. There is a Shore Excursion Desk on Deck 3 right off the Atrium.

You can also bring your own mask and snorkel, and get a life jacket from Gil's Fins. Last I heard there wasn't a charge for the life jacket if you brought your own snorkel equipment.

What's everyone planning on doing in Key West?

I was thinking of renting the Sea-Doos, and doing the Island tour, but it is 1.5-2 hours, and with the 3 kids, it may be a waste of money to pay for them that long. So now, we are definitely going to rent the 30 minute Sea-Doo.

Other than that, what else? Just walk around and window shop? Any good eats? Worth paying off the ship to eat? We are a family of 5, so any sit down meal is going to add up.

How about this? If Dh and I bring the kids back on the ship and put them in the kids club, any hot "date" spots we can take advantage off, sans kids?

Yous sounds like a south side Chicago saying I used to hear often!

In Key West we are hoping to rent the electric cars for a bit to wander around, possibly hit the liquor store (QUESTION - can we carry on liquor to the ship?), and def hit Margaritaville for a bit. We've been to the one in Negri,l Jamaica and will def hit the one in Orlando at some point. Also, in one of the DVC newsletters it mentioned a sunset party in town so we may hit that as well depending on our dining rotation and the events.

#1Mouse said:
We've always reserved in advance, but my guess is that you can wait until you get on the ship - it's not as limited as some of the other things like parasailing which books up very quick. There is a Shore Excursion Desk on Deck 3 right off the Atrium.

You can also bring your own mask and snorkel, and get a life jacket from Gil's Fins. Last I heard there wasn't a charge for the life jacket if you brought your own snorkel equipment.

Yes, that's true. We brought our own snorkel gear in May and you can use the life jackets for no charge on CC.

Linda

WDWLVR said:
Gail - that is great advice. We make it a point to always look over the Navigator before going to bed at night. We bring a highlighter and mark those things we want to attend. You will get a separate one for the whole cruise for the kids clubs so as well.

For those of you who scrapbook and want a nice clean one for your book or if you want more than one for your family extras are available at the service desk on deck 3.

Mary-on the Panama Canal cruise I thought I would try a new tactic for my extra navigator since on the 10 day Christmas Cruise it was hard to remember to run down each night and pick up an extra one.

When I met our stateroom host the first day, I asked him if he would do me a favor . He said sure. I asked him to put 2 navigators on my bed each night instead of one. The first night he did as asked and when we returned from dinner I gave him a 60 minute prepaid telephone card and told him I appreciated him doing that for me.

For the remaining 13 nights, 2 navigators were in my room each and every night. The funny thing was, the navigators kept coming out later and later and different cast members were running around sliding them under the doors. I would be in the room sometimes and all of a sudden a 2nd navigator would be sliding under the door. My stateroom host never forgot. I made sure I took care of him at the end of the cruise.

So...no more running down to guest services anymore, just ask your stateroom host/hostess for the 2nd copy!

Linda

#1Mouse said:

Thanks for the info. DH wants to buy his own snorkel equipment here in town, but we would definitely just borrow the vest.

Disney1fan2002 said:
What's everyone planning on doing in Key West?
Our plan is also to rent the electric car and visit around different locations within KW, like the Aquarium, Butterfly Observatory, Southernmost Point and the Lighthouse. We're going to call one of the electric car companies in Key West next week to see if we can work a group rate. Right now, I have PMs from a bunch of people for about 12 cars so far. If anyone else is interested, let me know.

chipscinderelly said:
Yous sounds like a south side Chicago saying I used to hear often!

I think that you are right. DHs friend must have lived somewhere besides the NW suburbs of Chicago, because I've never said yous. Now that I'm in FL though, I do say y'all.

Thanks for the tip, Linda. I definitely want to make sure that I can get an extra Navigator each day for our scrapbook.

WDWLVR said:
Remember that if you book onboard you get a room credit on your next cruise as well as the lowest DCL price. Also when you get home you can always transfer it to a travel agent and keep the room credit.
First off, congrats on the Passporter publication. I have just been made aware of the existence of these. It seems helpful, but we mostly just tend to go wherever the wind blows when in the World. Very generous of you to offer it to one of the new cruisers.

Question, we are considering booking whilst onboard for another cruise. I do not understand what you mean about keeping the room credit.

#1Mouse said:
Yes Mary, the water was a bit chilly on the 1st Member Cruise, but once we were in it was fine - or was it because we were numb and couldn't tell how cold it was!
I would have to say it was because of the latter. I put my toes in the water to say I went in and that was it for me--Sissy that I am.

Amy, thanks for checking out the electric cars.

It is coming upon us quick now. Eight weeks is really not all that long. So I must get on that door magnet. That is my big chore for now. Oh the stress. Tee hee.

I know what you mean about 8 weeks not being a lot. Our summer is going by very quickly. We went to Chicago last week, my birthday is next week, DD goes back to preschool on 8/16 then the cruise is just a few weeks later. DH was just talking to me tonight about getting started on our door magnets. He's already dreaming up ideas in his head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter