Sept 4-8 2005 Wonder S.S. Member Cruise! Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
ohiominnie said:
Here's something I don't tell everyone...
We went to school with someone who, luckily, about 2 yrs after we graduated we lost contact with him. We got busy (with kids) he got busy with his job....just no time to get together. Well, seems that he was busier with his job than he should have been (elementary teacher) and he was finding time in his day to....well, do things with young boys that he should not have been doing. He did time. And while on parole he'd hang out in the stacks of the children's section at the main downtown library or surf their internet computers for kiddie pictures (if you know what I mean) anyway...it was against his parole to go ANYWHERE "where kids frequent." So he went back to jail and is now, so we hear, in some sort of rehab program.

JMO, but I hope he stays in that rehab program forever, chained to a pole. I have zero tolerance for this type of thing. What a sick, sick world we live in. I would much rather be known as an overprotective parent.

:sad2:

Sadly times have changed. Not only would we spend hours at the library by ourselves, but we would go outto play for hours at a time. Our local pool which was a block from my house was our hangout from 1 pm to 5 pm. Then we'd go home and eat dinner, then back out to play in the alley's. Kick the can, hide and seek, any game we could think of. We were on our own running through the neighborhood and didn't come home until the street lights came on. No cell phones, no pagers, nothing.

cgcw said:
JMO, but I hope he stays in that rehab program forever, chained to a pole. I have zero tolerance for this type of thing. What a sick, sick world we live in. I would much rather be known as an overprotective parent.

:sad2:

I hear you. I agree. He was in our group during college and no one ever suspected that he had those tendencies. Of course, it's not his fault at all. His father abused him and his sister when they were young. So he couldn't help it. (so you know, this post is dripping with sarcasm!)

I'm just thankful that our lives drifted apart and we have absolutely no contact with him.

Your right, Mary, we did the same thing. I don't think my parents ever knew where we were other than "out playing".

Now if my kids go some place, I need to know when they are going to be back, who they are going to be with and personally know the parent. It makes me very scared when I think about where we are today as a society and even more scared when I think about where we will be when my children grow up. :sad2:

Don't mind me, I'll be the one bringing Cameron into the women's bathroom at Disney World this weekend. Just kidding, but it's even more scary to think about him going in alone. Even though I will remind him not to talk to anyone in there, it's still scary. I'll have him dehydrated before we get to the airport so there isn't even a chance of him (or me) having to use the bathroom there. :earseek:

ohiominnie said:
I'm just thankful that our lives drifted apart and we have absolutely no contact with him.

And, I'm sure, thinking of what might have happened if you had stayed friends must make you shiver.

cgcw said:
Your right, Mary, we did the same thing. I don't think my parents ever knew where we were other than "out playing".

Now if my kids go some place, I need to know when they are going to be back, who they are going to be with and personally know the parent. It makes me very scared when I think about where we are today as a society and even more scared when I think about where we will be when my children grow up. :sad2:

Don't mind me, I'll be the one bringing Cameron into the women's bathroom at Disney World this weekend. Just kidding, but it's even more scary to think about him going in alone. Even though I will remind him not to talk to anyone in there, it's still scary. I'll have him dehydrated before we get to the airport so there isn't even a chance of him (or me) having to use the bathroom there. :earseek:

Isn't that what those 'family' bathrooms are for? Don't remember if the Airport has them or not.

I totally agree with you guys!! The library used to be just the place that you would read books. My mom would drop me off at the Dundee Library for hours and hours on end. Then, she would pick me up when it closed.

Also, we used to either walk or ride our bikes several miles to go to the pool during the summer. We were total latch-key kids and were totally happy to just do our thing. Mom never really had to worry too much about what we were up to.

Nowadays, you really have to be careful. My girls are still young, but I fear the day that they just want to go out to play (without me around). Yikes!! Luckily, we live in the very back of our neighborhood, and there's only one way in and one way out. So, people don't come back here unless they are visiting, or lost. But, you still can't be too careful anymore!!

I have to agree with Cindy, Mary and others about how things have changed since we were kids. I also used to walk to the library, walk downtown (we lived in a small town) to go "shopping" with my friends, and would ride my bike to the pool. I'd leave the house in the morning, knock on my neighbor's door, and ask "Can Brenda play?" No one ever heard of a "play date" then. My mother wouldn't see me again until lunch, and sometimes not till dinner if I'd be at my friend's at lunch time. Be home before dark was pretty much the rule, but that would be bent if we were playing kick the can!

And how I loved the library (and still do)! There were no children's programs then, but two little old spinster librarians (who were sisters, no less!) who had a love for children and would occasionally save back a book for me that they thought I might like. Looking back, it feels like I grew up in Mayberry!

WDWLVR said:
Sadly times have changed. Not only would we spend hours at the library by ourselves, but we would go outto play for hours at a time. Our local pool which was a block from my house was our hangout from 1 pm to 5 pm. Then we'd go home and eat dinner, then back out to play in the alley's. Kick the can, hide and seek, any game we could think of. We were on our own running through the neighborhood and didn't come home until the street lights came on. No cell phones, no pagers, nothing.

We used to play kick the can!! :rotfl2: And another game called Man Hunt! And I agree about play dates....you rang everyone's doorbell....without a phone call! We used to call it "calling for" as in "I'm gonna call for Chris and see if she'll come out." Oh the good old days....we'll have a lock on our gate and my girls aren't allowed out until they are 30!

cgcw said:

I don't blame you one bit for wanting to take Cameron in the ladies bathroom. I know this is a highly controversial topic on the theme parks board, but seriously, what's the big deal about a boy in the ladies room? It's pretty private in there, if you know what I mean, so it's not like any kid is going to see anything, regardless of their age.

True story--pretty recently in our mall, yup, the same one that has banned anyone under 18 without a parent after a certain time, there was a mom and a son. The mom sent the son into the mens room, that didn't have an outside door, so she continuously talked to him while he was inside. Well, apparently there wasn't any toilet paper, so the kid asked the guy next to him if he could pass some....well the guy did more than that....and came into the stall with the kid to deliver and did some bad things to him. The kid was pretty much talking to his mom up until that point. And there is a police station in this mall.....FEET away from this bathroom. Needless to say, they arressed the guy, who had prior convinctions for similar things. But no matter how safe you think you are being, the bad guys seem to find a way. :sad2:

Bompy213 said:
My weekend flew. I went to a concert at Jone's Beach on Friday night. It was much cooler than I expected, but the temps went up quick Sat thru today. Gail, I too wish it could last 5 more months : (
Saturday I went to Woodbury Premium Outlets for VIP shopper day. It was fab and I came home with a ton of bargains. Sunday I went to Long Beach Island, NJ for Chowder Fest 2005. It rocked!

We are going to Woodbury this weekend on the way down to my Dad's! I hope you saved some bargains for me! Last time we got some great stuff for the girls at the Disney outlet....shorts for 1.99, pjs for 2.99 and bathing suits for 3.99!

Did anyone else get the CD in the mail today from DCL?

It's supposed to take me away to the DCL/tropical paradise.

It's working! ;)

ohiominnie said:

It's working! ;)

Is it a music CD?

My mail doesn't come until 4-4:30. I swear my useless no-good mailman takes all the good stuff and gives us the bills! We never got that cool postcard for the 11 day....and we were booked on it! :confused3

Diana Lyn said:
Is it a music CD?

My mail doesn't come until 4-4:30. I swear my useless no-good mailman takes all the good stuff and gives us the bills! We never got that cool postcard for the 11 day....and we were booked on it! :confused3

Was it the one with the characters hiding in the grass and the ship in the background? I had extra magnet material so I turned it into a magnet for my door on the SS member cruise. We just realized a few days ago that someone must have stolen that TOO b/c we don't have it anymore!

For Pete's sake!

The CD is a music CD and it also has desktop pictures and a screen saver!!

ohiominnie said:
Was it the one with the characters hiding in the grass and the ship in the background? I had extra magnet material so I turned it into a magnet for my door on the SS member cruise. We just realized a few days ago that someone must have stolen that TOO b/c we don't have it anymore!

For Pete's sake!

The CD is a music CD and it also has desktop pictures and a screen saver!!

Yes, I think that was the postcard. It was like a changing picture? I don't know how to say what I'm thinking! :rotfl:

I REALLY hope I get this CD though. I'll be sitting out in the middle of my street ready to beat down my mailman! :rotfl2:

ohiominnie said:

It's working! ;)
I got mine last week sometime. I haven't listened to it yet, though!!

Diana Lyn said:
I don't blame you one bit for wanting to take Cameron in the ladies bathroom. I know this is a highly controversial topic on the theme parks board, but seriously, what's the big deal about a boy in the ladies room? It's pretty private in there, if you know what I mean, so it's not like any kid is going to see anything, regardless of their age.

I won't though. Cameron's at the age where he would die of embarressment going into a ladies bathroom.

MarkRG said:
Isn't that what those 'family' bathrooms are for? Don't remember if the Airport has them or not.

A much better option which I hadn't remembered about. We will seek out these. If we can avoid the issue at the airport, I know Cameron will be okay on the plane. Gee, 1 person can hardly fit in those bathrooms, let alone someone who might be out to harm a child.

Diana Lyn said:
True story--pretty recently in our mall, yup, the same one that has banned anyone under 18 without a parent after a certain time, there was a mom and a son. The mom sent the son into the mens room, that didn't have an outside door, so she continuously talked to him while he was inside. Well, apparently there wasn't any toilet paper, so the kid asked the guy next to him if he could pass some....well the guy did more than that....and came into the stall with the kid to deliver and did some bad things to him. The kid was pretty much talking to his mom up until that point. And there is a police station in this mall.....FEET away from this bathroom. Needless to say, they arressed the guy, who had prior convinctions for similar things. But no matter how safe you think you are being, the bad guys seem to find a way. :sad2:

That is so scared. As a parent, I can't imagine something happening to my child when I was within his reach. :sad2: :sad2:

WDWLVR said:
Sounds like what they were sending out to new Castaway Club members. We didn't get one but would love one!

Mary, I'd love to make you one....
'cept right now I'm struggling to get pictures on a disc so I can send them to Amy. Everytime I click something I just KNOW I'm goofin' up Mike's computer!! YIKES!

If I can figure this out, I'll make you a DCL CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter