Scoop pins...

Buzz2001

CSR MAN!!
are beginning to make their way onto eBay. 2nd one I've seen in the past 2 days.

Scoop Sanderson WDW LE 750
Item # 2172093367

Mario- i was so tempted to send along a comment to this person, but held off. Something so personal should never have found its way to eBay and for that price! It is priceless! Caroline:(

What would someone do with this pin if they win it? I don't get it. They wouldn't be able to trade it, and framing it makes no sense since they weren't awarded it.

One thing this does go to show you, however, is that not everyone who was awarded a pin really deserved it!

I don't get it, either. If you have to buy it, you shouldn't have it.

It is very easy for us to look at this auction and pass judgment on the seller and the buyer without knowing the details surrounding this transaction. There could be a very good reason why this pin is for sale. For example, the seller may be going through personal trials and tragedies that have necessitated selling off some of their worldly possessions in order to cope with an emergency. The buyer may be aware of this or may not know the story. We also do not know what is driving the buyer to purchase this pin. Perhaps he is buying it to remove the pin from circulation and it will find its way back to Scoop who rightfully awarded it in the first place. I know in the past I have seen one of Vince's DIS pins on eBay and I have bought it to return to Vince since I did not feel it right that someone outside the DIS community have this pin. This resulted in a very special moment between Vince and I and helped both of us to get to know each other better.

Through the years I have come to the conclusion that I have no right to pass judgment on another trader unless I have carried his pin bag for a mile to know what he has gone through. I hope both the buyer and the seller in this transaction go into it understanding how special this pin is and what it means for it to change hands. For all we know, the buyer is just as deserving of the honor of receiving this pin but has never had the opportunity to meet Scoop so that they may share each other's company. Perhaps I am just naive but I would like to think that given the chance, people try to do the right thing for the right reasons. That is the outlook I try to go into each pin trade with and I hope others do as well.

Jeff

Perhaps I am just naive but I would like to think that given the chance, people try to do the right thing for the right reasons. That is the outlook I try to go into each pin trade with and I hope others do as well.

Jeff Not naive but like myself you believe that most people are good at heart and who are we to judge.
good luck to all involed
Take care Brenda

I too was in my mind jumping to the same conclusions as everyone else. Being a proud recipient of this pin, I covet the honor and yes, even responsibility Scoop has placed on us "Scoopies" to Continue The Tradition. I feel when I wear this pin, I have an even higher standard of Trading ettiquitte to live by. (did I spell that right??)

Anyway, I recall that some "scoopies" were given an extra pin, and many others were told that there was no shame in trading it for a "Holy Grail" pin they wanted. This e-bay seller has quite a few nice pins for sale. So perhaps he had a significant Holy Grail and a "Scoopie" traded him for it. Just a thought to consider. I will say in agreement with many, that it is a shame that it is being sold, and no, not positively, but maybe by someone who doesn't value it as some of us do. However, he may have made someone else happy. Who knows...only the pin gods...hehehe

Blessings,
Winnie

I believe the same actions would apply....I will trade this pin w/ you and ask you to not to trade, or sell it.. It was supposed to be a two way magical moment.. I guess some people think less about their "magical moments" then others, unfortunately...

When Eddie awarded his pin, it was done w/ a lot of thought, then given to someone who he knew would wear it w/ pride, and NEVER think about trading or selling...and someone very deserving of the pin....that was the purpose of some getting the second pin...to kind of be a Scoop w/o the plaid suit, spats, glasses, hat..(well you get the picture)....

I know if I had an extra, whether I traded or awarded, I would only do it with the knowledge that the recipient would not trade or sell it. That they would value it as it is intended.

This obviously was not the case. And yes, it is quite a shame. This pin is so significant to me as I know it is to you. If I had an extra I would award it to Jeff of "pin clubs". He did something so awesome for me, that he definately is deserving of this honor. I hope he makes it to the MK to see Scoop before they are all awarded away. He is such a wonderful example of continuing the tradition & "Scoopies".

I still feel inadequate as a "Scoopie". But the there are those moments when I get to share pixie dust and feel the importance of what Scoop has tried so hard to pass on. Mainly when I deal trade with kids. But even when I trade with an adult who is new. I remember the feeling. I cannot believe it's been two years this month since we started collecting pins. But last January is when we really found the true essense of this hobby as Fred and I met and made friends with many of who are "family" on this board.

It's a wonderful "Journey",
Winnie

Hi all! Sorry to intrude, but I have a question. I'm fairly new around here (only lurking for a couple of weeks) and I'm hoping to trade a few pins on my next trip to DL in the fall. What is a Scoop? or Scoopie? I think I'm missing some info as to what makes this pin on Ebay a special thing. Thanks for the help!
Lydia

Hi all

I was saw some where else that someone who wears his or her pin actually lost it. You don't think by any chance that this could be the pin. Just a thought. I know Scoop carefully has selected the recipients of this pin.

Lydia.....

Scoop Sanderson walks along Main Street at the Magic Kingdom. He gives a pin seminar I think it is now Sunday thru Wednesday at 1:00pm.

Lydia,

In the Magic Kingdom along Main Street is a reporter whose name is Scoop Sanderson. To say he is a character would be an understatement. Scoop wanders Main Street bringing a smile to everyone he meets. Besides being an all-around great guy, Scoop is also the most pin knowledgeable person I know. Scoop conducts a pin talk in the Exposition Hall several times a week. He has been helping people learn about pin trading since 1999. His seminars are something every trader should go through at least once and preferrably multiple times. Last fall, Scoop and Disney created a pin to commemorate pin trading. It is a Magical Moment pin meaning that you cannot buy it, it must be awarded. Scoop uses these pins to recognize people who further pin trading and make it an enjoyable hobby for all of us. Typically when you are awarded one of his pins, it comes with a promise. The recepient agrees to proudly wear the pin and not trade or sell it. There are only 750 Scoop pins in existance and each one is accounted for in Scoop's journal.

Hopefully that sheds a little light on the special meaning behind this pin and why it is so important to everyone.

Jeff

Thank you so much for the explanation. That helps everything make so much more sense!
Thanks!
Lydia

I for one would not sell or trade my Scoop pin for any amount, but if I lost my job tomorrow and had a chance to get $400.00 to help feed my family I think Scoop would consider it a magical moment and be glad I was able to do that.

But there are people out there that will trade and trade big to get it because they know they will never be awarded one.

Personally if I bought the darn thing it would mean nothing to me there are those that want to have it just to say they have it.

To them I say go for it; you gotta do what you gotta do to get it.

Randy & Carol.

Yes, pin #421 is "missing." It was pin locked onto a jacket in Disneyland that recently "disappeared."

I do not believe this particular auction is for that pin, but only the seller knows for sure (he has not stated the exact number in responses, but has eluded to a general range that it's in).

Originally posted by Raulandpinboy
I for one would not sell or trade my Scoop pin for any amount, but if I lost my job tomorrow and had a chance to get $400.00 to help feed my family I think Scoop would consider it a magical moment and be glad I was able to do that.

Ed,
I agree with you, but I think I'd try to sell off all of my traders first before I sold off the pins that ment something to me.

The thing that gets me is that gets me is that when Scoop awards these pins he tells the people that they can't sell or trade it. The person then agrees to that. If they don't, like at Easter, Scoop tries to find another pin for that person. (these are my observations, maybe it isn't everytime.)

Speaking of Easter, the pin on ebay looks like it has a pastel pink or purple background (maybe due to the scan). Could this be one of the pins that Scoop awarded at Easter???

Becky

When Eddie awarded his pin, it was done w/ a lot of thought, then given to someone who he knew would wear it w/ pride, and NEVER think about trading or selling...and someone very deserving of the pin....that was the purpose of some getting the second pin...to kind of be a Scoop w/o the plaid suit, spats, glasses, hat..(well you get the picture)....
I think what Ed did with his pin is in the true spirit of the pin. And though I really don't know Ed well, I can tell by what I have read here on the boards how he is as a trader. In my eyes, Ed is the prototypical person to receive these type of pin awards.

Others were given extra to trade for their HG's. If someone traded their extra pin to a seller who had many HG's to offer, what's to stop the seller from auctioning it off at that point. If they only wanted the pin to sell, they don't care what the true meaning of the pin is.

So there are 20 / 30 of the Scoop pins that were given as duplicates, maybe more. How many were awarded and how many were traded? And if they were traded, does that diminish its meaning any less than if it were purchased? Either way the pin wasn't awarded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter