ScoJo's Running Down a Dream Journal (comments welcome)

Here it is!! Race Report!! 1st one is officially complete!! Sorry it's so long and I hope everyone isn't bored with the details, I wanted to capture as much as I could remember...so....here it is:

Hoya and the Hare 5k - Saturday, April 15th

I woke up around 6:15am and started my morning routine. I wanted to get out of the house around 6:45am so that I could be at the high school around 7:15am so that I could pick up my packet and get ready for the 8:30am scheduled start time. My shower was spent convincing myself that it was nothing more than a normal Saturday run and that it didn't matter how I performed. I told myself that the accomplishment is running the race, not if I finished first or dead last. But being the extremely competitive person that I am, by the time I was brushing my teeth I had a game plan of starting the race and then picking out some people to beat along the way. I also wanted to finish under 35 minutes since that was my fastest "hilly" time to date.

I put on my old pair of shoes and threw my new pair in the car just in case. I also packed a separate shorts/shirts outfit. Have you ever done something in the rush of the moment and then looked back on it and realized how silly it was? That's how I feel about putting that change of clothes in the car. What in the world would happen that would require me to change outfits prior to the start of the race? Coffee spill? No...don't drink coffee so that is out of the question. Freak accident in which I rip my shorts on the door handle getting out of the car? Unlikely....all I know is that I can't say why I did it but I did and if it gave me comfort in my time of stress, then may the great laundry god shine down upon me in all times of need.

So anyway I pulled out of the garage at 6:50am after a great sendoff by the family (ok..that was an embellishment...short of a natural disaster, no one, not even the dog, was moving out of their respective beds that morning) and made my way to Harrison High School. Only took me about 10 minutes to realize that I left my camera back at the house. I didn't have time to turn around and get it so I'd have to rely upon the photos that get posted on their website.

I made it to the high school around 7:25, found a place to park and made my way to the registration tables. They had one for same day registration and one for those who had pre-registered. I signed up thru active.com and was pleased to see that my name was indeed on the list. I grabbed four safety pins from the basket on the table and was given my race number (#159), the t-shirt and a bag full of magazines and local merchant coupons. I went back to the car, put the freebies in it and pinned on my number, being careful not to pin on the detachable bottom portion that was plainly marked "Do not pin here" in bold red print. I then made my way to the restrooms as every tip that I have ever read says to go even if you don't have to..so I went...literally.

From there, I walked down and up yet another hill on the course and checked out the football stadium where the finish line was located. It was cool to see that my last couple tenths of a mile would take place on the track, surrounded by throngs of madly cheering spectators (yep, sometimes wishful thinking adds so much to the story). I still had about 30 minutes to kill before race time so I hung out in front of the school near the parking lot/registration tables and began sizing up the competition. I was so pleased to see such a variety of people. One of the first conversations I heard was that of a mother telling her sister & daughter that their goal was to run at least one mile before walking the rest of the way. Whew. Worse case scenario, I'd be fourth from last if they held true to their plans.

There was a father there with his 8 year old son, a group of over 74 year old men all sporting t-shirts from their previous 10k and 5k events, a father and very young child that he planned on pushing in one of those strollers that you can run behind, young and old, black and white, thin and heavyset, all mixed together, all with their own stories of why they were there. It was a comforting feeling knowing that in some way I fit in, kind of belonging there with those people.

Soon it was time to head up (yep, up a hill) to the starting line. I'd say there was approximately 400 people making their way to the road entrance to the school. I took my place about 2/3 of the way thru the crowd, near the back of the pack and waited for the start. Right at 8:30am there was a cheer followed by bobbing heads in front of me as the pack started its way down the course. It took a few seconds to get to the real starting line where I remembered to start the timer on my Polar HR monitor so I'd know my actual time.

The first part of the course goes down a main two lane road. It's flat for the first 500 yards or so before descending downhill and then back up, then turning onto a different two lane road where it was uphill for a while before turning around and retracing our steps back to the high school, running past the start and then veering off thru a downhill/uphill and entering the stadium for a 3/4 or so lap around the track to the finish.

It was about the point where you started to go downhill for the first time that I found myself moving up thru the pack. I had to veer way out to the left hand side where I passed a bunch of people and then seemed to find the group that was running my pace. Among the people who were beside me were who I referred to as "blue shirt Ipod lady", "headband man", "whiteshirt woman" and "orange shorts girl". I made a mental note of these people and wanted to stay ahead of them if I could. I felt really good but did not want to start off too fast and have nothing left in the tank for the finish. A lot of people started walking when we hit the first hill. It felt great to run past them and I gave myself a mental pat on the back for training enough over the past couple months to not slow down yet. I was able to run all the way up that hill and made the turn onto the the second road. I figured we were in about a mile because I was beginning to get a little winded and I was nearing the 10 minute mark. My suspicion was accurate as I soon came up to a 1-mile marker with a person shouting out times. I did the first mile in 10:30 official time, and noticed that it was 10:15 on my watch. I was very pleased with that time considering that it wasn't flat. I took my first walk break at the 11:30 mark and walked for 1 minute, just enough to catch my breath a little. I was passed by orange shorts and Ipod lady so I started running again and came to the turn around where I was greeted by the marching band drumline, some volunteers offering water and a crowd of cheering spectators. It was a nice little motivational boost to see all of this along with knowing that half of the race was over already. I declined the water since I don't normally drink during my 3-4 mile runs and started making my way back to the school (plus I had to catch up to orangie and ipod). I took another 1 minute walk break at some point on that road before coming to the turn back on to the main road. Police had the road blocked off for the race and they were clapping and shouting encouragement to all of us as we ran by.

I kept running thru the downhill portion of that main road and made it to the 2 mile mark at 22:00 even. I had completed my second mile in 11:30, again to my satisfaction especially with having walked two times. I took a 30 second walk break and then started running up the last major hill of the race, passing Ipod lady along the way. I made it to the top and walked again for 20-30 seconds to catch my breath before picking up the pace again as I neared the school entrance.

I ran past the entrance and made my way to the stadium. There were a few volunteers clapping and shouting encouragement along with some people who had already finished. I can't tell you how nice it is to hear "good job", "great time" and "you're almost there, looking good!" while you are out there running. It is really motivating and helped me gain a second wind that would carry me through the finish. I made it easily up the small hill that lead to where we entered the stadium and proceeded around the track. The high school band was playing in the stands and there were lots of previous finishers standing along the field clapping and motiviating us through that last 2 tenths. I picked up some speed along that last turn and although I was about three strides shy of orange shorts girl, I made it across the finish line with an official time of 33:20. I did it!! I had no time to celebrate as we were told to "keep moving...tear off the bottom portion of your race number and hand it off then proceed to the tables and fill out your race card" So I tore off the bottom of the number and handed it to some lady collecting them and then found some tables at the end of the finish line chute where you had to fill out your name, location and time then drop it in the appropriate age group basket.

I made my way to the stands where sponsors were handing out energy bars, water, fruit and other stuff. I grabbed a banana and a water and picked up a few energy bars to sample in the future. I found an empty bench near the field, sat down and ate my post race snack while watching a bunch more people come across the finish line. It was at that point where I smiled, knowing that I had achieved the first milestone on the long journey to a marathon. I didn't finish last and I didn't make a fool of myself. I did a good job and was really happy with 33:20 (33:05 on my watch, but what's 15 seconds anyway). I think it was a great mark to set for my first time out. Most of all, I had a blast doing it. I had so much fun out there.

I polished off my water and made my way back towards the parking lot. I stopped for a few minutes and cheered on some people who were making their way up that last hill. I know that my shouts helped them along their way as others did for me. Among that group was the father and 8 year old son...both with huge smiles on their faces as the little one set the pace for his dad. It wasn't about splits or heart rates for them, it was about so much more. They were followed by a lady who was really struggling but determined to keep putting one foot in front of the other. I watched as she disappeared into the stadium, never slowing down and thought about how great it was that so many people were here for so many different reasons. 5k's aren't just for the elite cross country/marathon/track runners, they are for everyone.

Eventually, I made it back home and was greeted with hugs and congratulations from my family and neighbors. I was still excited about what I did and proceeded to tell them about every second of it. It was awesome to hear everyones support and really made me feel good.

So, here I am on the Monday following the race. Words really cannot describe how much fun it was to be out there with so many other people. Unlike when you run alone and keep looking at the watch wondering when the next walk break will be, during the race you want to keep running so that you can maintain pace with "headband man" or "Ipod lady". 3.1 miles seems so easy now and I guess that's good since I've got to do 6.2 miles (10k) on July 4th. I've penciled in a hilly 5k on May 6th and maybe another 5k on May 20th. I'm also planning on running with my dog during the "Atlanta Dog Jog" 1 or 2 mile runs on April 29th. I even noticed that there is a Labor Day 10k in September that also includes a 1 mile kids run for ages 7-11 (the parents can run along with them!), so I've added that to the list in hopes that she'll start running too. The Jr. Peachtree is still on the radar for her, but we haven't committed to it yet....issue being that she has to run alone and it is on the day that my wife will be flying out of the country for two weeks, so the Labor Day run may be better for her.

So I'm addicted to road races now. Funny how three months ago I wouldn't be caught dead running anywhere and now here I am jonesing for the next race! I am also going to modify my training schedule to better reflect a run/walk ratio instead of a walk/run.

Thanks so much for everyone's support and thanks for reading this massive review, I promise the next one won't be as long!!

I am so proud of you!!

I read your report with tears in my eyes!! Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us, and for being so descriptive. I am nervous to do my first 5K, mostly because of the unknown.

Congrats on your AWESOME time, and your run/walk ratio was incredible!!

Thanks again for sharing!! :thumbsup2

CONGRATULATIONS SCOTT

:cheer2: I was thinking about you this weekend as I was running on the treadmill at the hotel! I knew you would do great! My first race is next weekend and I'm nervous...especially since my schedule was wacky being away! But now because of your wonderful journal entry I feel more relaxed and really felt like I was there with you! THANKS for sharing your experience!! :cheer2: And by the way....you did AWESOME!!!!

Kim & Amy - thanks so much for your support! It really does help to have great people like you around to encourage me and a lot of other people on the boards.

Amy - you are going to have so much fun next weekend!! You will do great, especially with those quick times you've been posting....I bet you come in under 30 minutes....looking forward to hearing how your week in AZ was!

Congratulations Scott!!!

I am so proud of you!!! Sorry it took me so long to get over to your journal...I figured if I wanted to know about your 5K that I better find my way over here. You are doing sooooo great! I too read your race report with tears in my eyes. I have 11 days til my first 5K. I was a little nervous about the unknown but you kinda eased my worries. Thanks! I hope my experience is as great as yours!

Jessi - thanks!! I'm glad I've helped ease your worries going in to your first 5k! You are going to have so much fun! Good luck and I can't wait to hear how you did!

Beginning of the week update -

Monday April 17th
I was still kind of on a high from the race Saturday so I was looking forward to getting back to my training and see how much I can improve upon the 33:20 time for my next 5k on May 6th. At the same time, I wanted to get back to a more strict run/walk ratio in belief that it will strengthen me and enable a quicker run over time. I'm going with a 4r/1w ratio as I think it is the most doable for me.

So, I ended up running my hilly 5k again and I set a new record, finishing it in 35:42 (11:54 avg, 189/170 HR). I had to break up the ratio a little to accomodate for the big hill...I pulled a 8/1 and a 7/1 in order to take a 2:30 walk break to get up the hill.

Almost forgot to journal my stats for Saturday's race....according to my watch I did the 5k in 33:05 which equates to a 10:39 average mile. Heart rate maxed at 194 (!) and averaged 179. Funny how I never felt that winded, but must have been working pretty hard! Splits were 10:30, 11:30 and 11:05 with the last split including the additional .1 mile.

Tuesday April 18th
In my continuous over analyzation of numbers, I played around with gmap-pedometer.com again today. I was pleased to see that the elevation chart was now working so I could get a true indicator of what hills I run compared to what they will be like during upcoming races. I won't bore you with the details, but I was able to map out a 3.1 mile course in my neighborhood that would be less strenuous and enable me to stick to my intervals a little easier. There is rain in the forecast, but hopefully I can try out the new route on Thursday night.

I also redid my training schedule leading up to my first real big event, the Peachtree Road Race 10k (55,000 runners). I'm adding some time to my Monday/Thursday runs, gradually building to 50 minutes as opposed to 36 minutes. My cross training will stay the same at 40 minutes on Tuesdays & Fridays (I may push to 50 minutes in June but we'll see how it's going then). My "long" runs on Saturday will increase by one half mile each week until I'm running 6.5 miles. I'll get 3-4 6.5 mile runs in before doing the 10k (6.2 miles) on July 4th. I'll be running the Library Run 5k on Saturday May 6th and will do either the Cancer Race for Life 5k on May 20th or the Freedom Run 5k on May 28th. The 2 mile Dog Jog on April 29th is in limbo since I missed the registration deadline (plus my dog is still kind of excitable around other dogs...I may need to break him in more before trying to race him in that environment).

Anyway, I did make it to the fitness center and knocked out 40 minutes on the elliptical. I could really tell that my exercising is benefiting me because I was never winded and was sweating a little less. I covered 4.15 elliptical miles on level 8 and my heart rate was a low 164/154.

I also weighed myself again and got a shocking result....218.6....now I did eat dinner before working out but there is no way I ate enough over the last four days to jump up a whole 3 pounds. I'm gonna chalk this one up to the scale having an off day and see what the readout is when I use it again on Friday evening.

:thumbsup2 Great run Scott! It sounds like you have a solid plan. I am trying to work out my schedule. For so long I've been focusing on finishing this 5K and now it is almost upon me! I think I'm going to start training for a 10K...unfortunately I still haven't found one yet LOL! It needs to be in mid to late June or early July to fit my schedule. Yes...I'm a bit neurotic about my training plans :teeth: .

And I totally agree....your scale was in a grumpy mood today! Just ignore it and try again! Seriously though....not to worry. With all the training I"m sure you are doing SUPER on your weight loss goals! :cheer2:

party: Congratulations on your first 5k!! I am so Proud of you! I really enjoyed your report! I can be long winded about what I had for dinner, so I in no way thought it was too long. :teeth:

I think your modified training routine is going to be great also! Keep up the good work! :sunny:

Scott - you're doing great! I absolutely agree that the scale is malfunctioning. I'll be you're way down on Friday.

Keep up the great work!! You're a true inspiration. :thumbsup2

Hi there Scott.....I just got caught up on your journal..I have seen it several times and now that I have commited to coming here each day again, I could finally get caught up!!!

WOW...you are doing such a good job!!! congrats on doing your first 5k...that is awesome!!! Keep up the great work....you truly are doing a great job. You should be proud :)

It's amazing how our bodies change in such a short time...I used to hate to work out...then I slacked off a bit and I am getting back into the rountine and I love it! I can't believe what I was missing...I never thought I would say anythng like that. HAHA

Hope you are having a wonderful day!!! Keep it up!

WOW! Congrats on your run, Scott, and the weight loss!

Hope you had a good weekend and have a great week next week!

Hi there Scott!!!

Hope you had a great weekend!!!

Keep up the great work :)

Have a wonderful day

Jessi - Your first race this weekend?? Getting excited yet??!! You'll have a blast and do great!

Amy - thanks for the continued support, glad to hear that your run was so successful! You shattered the 30 minute mark and won a prize too?? Way to go!!

Amber - thanks for the support! Did you know that they just added Mickey's Halloween Party to the week of our trip?? You gotta get back down there!

Kim - Yep, the scale was having a bad day...it's back to normal now! Thanks for your support!

Jamie - Thanks so much for stopping by!! Who knew so much exercise could be so much fun!!

Julie - Thanks for the kind words!

Hope everyone has a great week....it's soo great to see everyone making so much progress!! Is it too early to make Boston Marathon plans with all of you in a few years???

On to the update...

Wednesday April 19th
Day off.

Thursday April 20th
Got to try out the new course I scoped out on gmap. It eliminated the steep incline of my biggest hill and put in a more gradual ascent. Plus it's always nice to see some new scenery. I wanted to be more strict on the 4/1 ratio and was successful for the most part (had to take an extra walk break on one hill for 1 minute). I finished the 3.1 miles in 37:18 (12:01 avg mile, 181/166 HR). Only problem here is that I need to be running for 40 minutes so I think I'll just do an out and back next time (run down the street for 20 minutes and then turn around). I added my ab routine afterwards (always forget to include this in my journaling!) and felt pretty good from start to finish.

Friday April 21st
Did 40 minutes on the elliptical (level 10 - gray machine -, 5.08 miles, 7:52 avg mile, 170/158 HR) and again felt really good the entire time. I think I'll start randomizing the pattern instead of consistently running against the same resistance, that should help me with the hill work.

Now the good news, I got back on the scale and came in at 216.0. Was very satisfied with this result...I don't know what I would have done if it had been in the 218 range again.

Saturday April 22nd
It rained really hard Friday night so there were some puddles on the track in the park that I had to navigate around. I also decided to put the new running shoes back on for this workout....I had shelved them due to pain in my legs after using them and am thinking that they need broken in. Anyway, things started off really great. I ran for a straight 15 minutes before taking a break and finished that first mile in 9:15. I went back to the 4r/1w halfway thru the second mile and completed it in 10:30. Then as I passed the milepost, my shins and calves started really hurting. I tried to work thru it but it did not feel good at all. I walked most of the mile, but still managed a 12:03 lap, coming in at 31:48 for my 3 miles (10:36 avg, 183/171 HR). I had to stop after that and took my time getting back to the car.

Later on in the day, I put my regular shoes back on and everything felt fine. I believe that I have a problem with those new shoes. I'm gonna have to take them back and see what is up...there is no way my legs should be hurting from them. I'm assuming that the shoes are somehow forcing me to run differently, thus the pain, but it is something that I cannot run through.

Sunday April 23rd
Off day, but I did manage to get out and cut the grass along with some additional yardwork. I went out with some friends on Saturday night, one who I had not talked to in a while. He asked about the race and I told him how much fun it was. He was wondering why I was doing all of this running and I explained to him that my goal is to run a marathon...you should have seen the look of complete amazement on his face. It made me feel great about myself to know that I'll accomplish something that most don't even think is possible.

ScoJo15 said:
He was wondering why I was doing all of this running and I explained to him that my goal is to run a marathon...you should have seen the look of complete amazement on his face. It made me feel great about myself to know that I'll accomplish something that most don't even think is possible.

I love that. I have some people asking me that too. My ultimate goal isn't a marathon right now, but you never know.

But I love the challenge of not only reaching a goal for myself, but completing something that people wouldn't think I could do. :banana:

Scott - you are doing AWESOME! I've actually slacked off since Thursday...but you've inspired me to get back to it. Hopefully the sun will stay out for a few more hours and I'll be able to get out there & do my 20 minute run. Keep up the GREAT work!

Hi Scott,

You are doing a great job....don't you just love the look on peoples faces when you tell them what your goals are?? It is great!!! You did a great job this weekend.....Glad to hear that the new shoes didn't bother you this time!

Keep it up...have a great day :)

Hi Scott!!!!

Great job on your runs and workouts. You are REALLY flying on that elliptical :thumbsup2 . Do you have a really good running store nearby? It sounds like you were given the wrong sneaker advice for sure :(. I would definitely bring them back where you got them and explain the situation.

What type of sneakers are they? I started getting heal pain from running in my trail sneakers that I JUST bought! So I completely understand where you are coming from. I would have never imagined a sneaker would be THAT important....but I guess it is :confused3 . Good luck finding a pair that work for you! I've been told I need to go to a specialty running store that can evaluate my feet and running stride. I'm planning to try that someday...but my regular sneakers are actually great and don't need to be replaced yet. Once they do I'll give it a go with the experts :).

And THANK YOU for the good wishes on my race!!! What an experience! I have to say that as I was running I thought of you and your race situation (laughed when I named the guy next to me yellow bandana guy!). I also thought of Dena running the cheerios race and Kim and her new found love of running. It's so great to have this community here that understands the journey and encourages each other so much!!! Very cool :teeth: !

Kim - Glad I could motivate you a little! Now stop reading this and get back out there!! :rotfl2:

Jamie - Thanks for the kind words as always!

Amy - Yeah, there are lots of specialty stores around so that won't be a problem. I just can't believe that my $40 pair of 'cross training' shoes are doing so much better than the $80 made for running shoes. They feel comfortable when I put them on, but boy does it act up after a mile or two. I'll be taking them back this weekend and hopefully I can find something better. I laughed when I read your review that included 'yellow bandana man' :rotfl2: I also think about you guys and these boards all of the time when I'm racing and running and agree that it is so awesome to have a support group on here! :grouphug:

On to my Monday revelation....

Monday April 24th
Laced up the old shoes and set out for a late evening run around the neighborhood. I had two goals...first, to do a consistent 4r/1w for 40 minutes (regardless of how many miles) and second was to ENJOY the run! I've been so caught up in times, pacing, heart rates and hills lately that I don't think I'm having as much fun as I could be when I'm training. So off I went with the intent to really take in the scenery, say hello to every person that I passed and spend some quality 'me' time. Needless to say, I had a great run! I caught myself at one point starting to analyze how much longer I had to run and found that I was actually running slower than I was capable of (without pushing it and getting winded). Once I got back to not thinking about it, my pace increased a little. I was even able to tackle part of the big hill, running about half way up it for the first time ever. I believe that there is a huge mind over matter thing going on here. I play golf and they say that it is 90% mental....well, I'm starting to think that running may be the same way. Sure, a lot has to do with your conditioning, what you eat, etc but I think I'll be able to push myself to new limits with a fresh mental approach.

So how'd the run end up? Well, I did a solid 40 minutes. I covered 3.5 miles....a per mile pace of 11:25, one of my fastest for this type of training. HR was 180/164. I ended up with a quicker pace with less exertion....sure does back up that mental theory!!

Scott,

ITA....running is more mental than physical once you start to up the mileage. I look at it as mental growth and physical conditioning. ESPECIALLY the hills....my friend and I were discussing this the other day. That 5K I ran ended on one mile long hill. It wasn't the steepest hill, but it just never stopped inclining. I had to force myself to not let it stop me. That was much harder then I imagined it would be.

During weekday runs I started running my hills by literally looking down at the white line on the shoulder of the road. I don't even look more than 10 feet ahead of me. I find that when I do this, or when I'm running "mindlessly", not thinking about it, the hills aren't actually that much harder than the flats. But when you are staring a LONG hill right in the face or one of those super steepy ones (we like to call them BFH....Big Freakin' Hills)...boy does it knock the wind out of your sails.

I read in one marathon training book that you are supposed to "greet" your hill like it's an old friend LOL. I'm not kidding either. They say to make friends with it :rotfl: . I tried that....I'd actually "wave" as the hill began and said "hey there big hill". But that didn't work AT ALL for me. I find that ignoring the dumb thing is much better than acknowledging it. :rotfl2: I know you probably think I'm cracking up...but I swear it was in the book! :teeth:

Anyway, sounds like you and I had a similar running experience today. I truly tried to enjoy it. I didn't even pay attention to my R:W intervals. Instead I just walked when I felt like I needed to. I finished my 3.1 miles with an 11:22 mpm pace. Not bad....and it was fun and NOT painful! I know I need to work on pace and distance....but some days are just meant to be fun and relaxing so we don't start to dread running. If that happens we're sunk! We've got a bunch of miles ahead of us in this journey :goodvibes .

Great job today, Scott!!! :cheer2:

Hi Scott,

Great job on your run!!! You are doing a great job! I posted in Amy journals as well...I have really thought about running, but I never have...I guess I never thought I could do it! Who knows!!! But after reading both of your jounaas, I am really thinking that I can do it....I may give it a try!!! Thanks :)

Keep up the good work!!! Have a great day

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter