School now banning all "out of term" holiday leave

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a conversation with a colleague a few weeks ago about accurate English. I had corrected one of his reports (I have to do this) and he accused me of being a pedant. He had confused practice/practise and was genuinely annoyed that I had highlighted it. He has been teaching for about 25 years.:confused3

Try reading 300 annual reports with practice/practise completely wrong!!!! You are not being pedantic at all - teachers should be able to write proper like.

Deb - it is shocking how bad English is in teachers these days. I have my own way in interview of knowing if they can write themselves - their use of possessive apostrophes are astonishingly bad as is their/there/they're.

Try reading 300 annual reports with practice/practise completely wrong!!!! You are not being pedantic at all - teachers should be able to write proper like.

Deb - it is shocking how bad English is in teachers these days. I have my own way in interview of knowing if they can write themselves - their use of possessive apostrophes are astonishingly bad as is their/there/they're.

i agree, i taught EFL for several years in france, and found out we have 7 tenses in tha past- did you know that? not many people do;)
i am 36 and was never taught this stuff at school, i was in the age range that missed alot of grammer info, i try to install it into my kids, but they are not getting it fed into them at school too, 1 sided doesnt work....
my written/verbal english varies greatly from the situation im in, here, class, marking, chatting with mates, interview etc. HOWEVER there is an increasing number of people who struggle to understand that tone/vocab etc SHOULD change depending on who/what/where.
joolz, ill email you next time i need something checking:rolleyes1:thumbsup2

have you noticed its only us teachers left:surfweb:, everyone else has "left the room!"

Hey Tracy, it's nice to know that a bunch of teachers can still bore people so much that they all leave the room.:lmao:

Homophones are the bane of my life.
to/too/two
they're/their/there
tale/tail

And don't get me started on the apostrophe.:rotfl:

There, that will have seen the last of the non-teaching posters off.:lmao:

HOWEVER there is an increasing number of people who struggle to understand that tone/vocab etc SHOULD change depending on who/what/where.
Count me as one of them. English is english in whatever circumstances it's written.

!

See, I find this a little upsetting.:

Well dont. It was no slight on your ability and if you do that job because you genuinely want to then great for you

!I am a university student applying for Primary PGCE's (and it is NOT a walk in! They aren't taking on anyone without significant work in schools as well as something else interesting to their name) and the reason why I want to jump back into being at a school is because I love kids! I have worked throughout my time at University (all be it part time), and I think I have a grasp of what parents have to deal with, as well as teachers.

I think the 'bubble' you guys are referring to is passion. They are passionate about what they do (otherwise all the other crud they have to deal with just wouldn't be worth it). Yes it can make anyone a little insular, but teachers have a lot to juggle in their working day.

:

Nah. The bubble for me is just the lack understanding of reality amongst many teachers that come via that route. Obviously not all, but a lot of them.

The failure to grasp reality that I am on about are those teachers who think they have been delt a poor hand in life. Those that voted to strike because they were appauled by a 6% pay rise offer during a recession ........ these people seem to have zero understanding of reality. People may wander what this has to do with this thread, well it is as follows. If I am going to have some teacher preach to me about taking my kids out of school and use the "why wont someone think of the kids" argument on me then I wouldnt expect these same teachers to strike (at the expense of my kids education) under such circumstances. That is what I dislike and why I think many dont have a firm grasp of reality.

These kind of people who will happily preach to me yet they dont give a stuff about teaching. Probably the type that have done some dopper type degree, cant do anything else so by default entered teaching. These are the same type of people who come up with rediculouse statements like "I dont have to teach your kid" or "why should I provide your kid with some work because you went on holiday" or "why should I mark the work given to your kid while on holiday". If those people truely loved their job and truely wanted to teach they wouldnt come up with stuff like that. These are the same people that will think nothing at sniping at parents for taking their kids out of school.

Now Im not suggesting for a minute that you are one of these people, apologies if you felt that way and it comes accross to me the way you write that you arent. However many teachers are like that and (only IMO of course) the bulk of teachers that are like that come from the type I describe. Those who have wandered into teaching by accident / default. I'd just like to stress, by saying this Im not saying all people who have followed that pathway into teaching are like that.

I can remember at a Primary school parent's evening asking the teacher why he hadn't corrected my son's spelling mistakes'. He looked at the book I was referring to, and told me it was history, and not english; so they didn't have to be corrected.:confused3 When I asked why, I was told he didn't have time!!

Mind you, I do think texting has alot to answer for!

Jules x

Well dont. It was no slight on your ability and if you do that job because you genuinely want to then great for you

Nah. The bubble for me is just the lack understanding of reality amongst many teachers that come via that route. Obviously not all, but a lot of them.

The failure to grasp reality that I am on about are those teachers who think they have been delt a poor hand in life. Those that voted to strike because they were appauled by a 6% pay rise offer during a recession ........ these people seem to have zero understanding of reality. People may wander what this has to do with this thread, well it is as follows. If I am going to have some teacher preach to me about taking my kids out of school and use the "why wont someone think of the kids" argument on me then I wouldnt expect these same teachers to strike (at the expense of my kids education) under such circumstances. That is what I dislike and why I think many dont have a firm grasp of reality.

These kind of people who will happily preach to me yet they dont give a stuff about teaching. Probably the type that have done some dopper type degree, cant do anything else so by default entered teaching. These are the same type of people who come up with rediculouse statements like "I dont have to teach your kid" or "why should I provide your kid with some work because you went on holiday" or "why should I mark the work given to your kid while on holiday". If those people truely loved their job and truely wanted to teach they wouldnt come up with stuff like that. These are the same people that will think nothing at sniping at parents for taking their kids out of school.

Now Im not suggesting for a minute that you are one of these people, apologies if you felt that way and it comes accross to me the way you write that you arent. However many teachers are like that and (only IMO of course) the bulk of teachers that are like that come from the type I describe. Those who have wandered into teaching by accident / default. I'd just like to stress, by saying this Im not saying all people who have followed that pathway into teaching are like that.

I'd love to be offered a 6% pay rise, this year we got 1%, yes I know that's better than nothing, but teaching is not a highly paid job ... and no, I'm not in it for the money ... I have a degree in law, and passed all the solicitors exams, and when (non teachers) hear that their first words are 'why are you teaching?? you could earn more as a solicitor' which is true! But I genuinely get a huge kick out of sharing my enthusiasm for my subject and helping my students get to university. I realise teaching 16-18 year olds is different, but it's still hard work!!

My English teacher wrote on my report card, "needs help with spelling and punctuation" and that is where it was left...... Never offered me any assistance. I went to school in New Zealand so we have dodgy teachers there as well as fantastic ones.

??????

Are you being serious when you say if the subject isn't English they don't correct spelling and punctuation. How the blue blazes are the kids suppose to learn?

Half our marks in essays came from the spelling, composition, punctuation of an essay, the other half was on the content of the essay.

Kirsten

My English teacher wrote on my report card, "needs help with spelling and punctuation" and that is where it was left...... Never offered me any assistance. I went to school in New Zealand so we have dodgy teachers there as well as fantastic ones.

??????

Are you being serious when you say if the subject isn't English they don't correct spelling and punctuation. How the blue blazes are the kids suppose to learn?

Half our marks in essays came from the spelling, composition, punctuation of an essay, the other half was on the content of the essay.

Kirsten

I can remember being told that I made 'unnecessary corrections' when I marked kids' work. I think every correction is necessary.:confused3

I can remember being told that I made 'unnecessary corrections' when I marked kids' work. I think every correction is necessary.:confused3

That makes me really cross. Where do you live can I send my kids to you to be taught.

I won't pick up on half their mistakes, but I kind of expected their teachers to be able to.

:eek:

Kirsten

That makes me really cross. Where do you live can I send my kids to you to be taught.

I won't pick up on half their mistakes, but I kind of expected their teachers to be able to.

:eek:

Kirsten

:rotfl: Send your kids to me.

Actually, better still, send them to UKDeb - she will sort them out.;):rotfl:

??????

Kirsten

It was about 9 years ago, but my argument was that it should be automatic to correct mistakes' as you are reading. I can remember my books being littered with red 'strikes' through my errors, but I learnt through them!!:)

Jules x

It was about 9 years ago, but my argument was that it should be automatic to correct mistakes' as you are reading. I can remember my books being littered with red 'strikes' through my errors, but I learnt through them!!:)

Jules x

We don't use red pens now. Our policy is to use green...very Dis-friendly!

Kirsten

All our subjects were marked like that. Bad grammar and spelling and marks were deducted whether is was a physics paper of a history essay. I understand that it is not like that here now - or couled have been the school I was in. I don't understand what good a degree in any subject would do if you are unable to communicate effectively, but that is just my point of view (aka my not-so-humble-opinion :rotfl2:)

I'd love to be offered a 6% pay rise, this year we got 1%, yes I know that's better than nothing, but teaching is not a highly paid job ... and no, I'm not in it for the money ... I have a degree in law, and passed all the solicitors exams, and when (non teachers) hear that their first words are 'why are you teaching?? you could earn more as a solicitor' which is true! But I genuinely get a huge kick out of sharing my enthusiasm for my subject and helping my students get to university. I realise teaching 16-18 year olds is different, but it's still hard work!!

My apologies it was approx 7.5 % spanned over t 3yrs startining in 08.N ever the less the point still stands that at a time where the vast majority of the country didnt know if they'd have ajob or not the teachers were turning their nose up at getting several % (hence the real world comments) This action was at the expense of our kids educations therefore i will throw this back at any teacher who accuses me of damaging my childs education taking them on hols
as for the rest of your post i have nothing but respect for teachers like you.My negative comments are aimed at those who aren't and don't give a stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter