Scared Silly But Loving It

Wow! What a day! I need to try Discovery Cove someday...I loved the dolphin swim I need in Cozumel and DC looks like it is so much more!

Jill in CO

I have done dolphin swims in Cozumel, Cabo San Lucas and Dubai and although I enjoyed every one of them, they are not even coming close to a day at Discovery Cove.

What a fun and amazing day! This is now definitely on the list.

You will not regret it. Discovery Cove is an amazing day.

Great pictures of Discovery Cove and the animals. You look like you were having a heap of fun with the dolphins.

Looks like DC is on my list too; should I ever make a trip back to Orlando.

Yes, I definitely had fun with the dolphins. I hope that you get to visit Discovery Cove at some stage in the future.

Oh Corinna your dolphin pictures are amazing :love::love:

I can't believe how we missed each other in Epcot :confused:

Really looking forward to the next update :thumbsup2

I really like how the pictures have come out.

Corinna

What a wonderful day! It seems like they have really added a lot since we were there in '03. And I have to agree with you about not wanting to feed the stingrays!

Loved Discovery Cove but reading your TR it has really changed! Been many years since we been. Nice that you can request a dolphin I recall ours was called Dolly :-)

I loved the snorkelling and lazy river element. So glad you had a fun day. You can't beat Clark's sandals! I live in mine :-)

What a wonderful day! It seems like they have really added a lot since we were there in '03. And I have to agree with you about not wanting to feed the stingrays!

Since 2003 it definitely has changed a lot. I think at that stage the aviary still only consisted of a single room and now they have three. The conservation cabana was not there and of course the Grand Reef and the Freshwater Oasis are very recent.

Loved Discovery Cove but reading your TR it has really changed! Been many years since we been. Nice that you can request a dolphin I recall ours was called Dolly :-)

I loved the snorkelling and lazy river element. So glad you had a fun day. You can't beat Clark's sandals! I live in mine :-)

I was trying to figure out which dolphin you may have swum with. How long ago did you go? They have 5 dolphins whose names start with the letter "D": Dixie (at Discovery Cove since 2000); Dash (at Discovery Cove from 2000 to 2002 and then again from 2010 onwards); Dot (at Discovery Cove since 2006); Diego (at Discovery Cove since 2000) and Dexter (at Discovery Cove since 2006).

I love the lazy river and the new reef is just out of this world.

That's a very big smile on your face underwater at DC.

I could not stop smiling and giggling. This was an amazing experience.

Corinna

I catch up on a day and you're still a day ahead of me! :rotfl2:

The water park sounds OK, but I'm not so into climbing big staircases to be tossed down rapids in an inner tube! That is so frustrating having to buy new shoes on vacation, and that sales person was downright rude!

I'm glad you got to see Blue Horizons again, and feeding the dolphins sounds like a lot of fun. I like the smart one! Chili's is a pretty good place to eat, but I've never had a steak there, I like their fajitas!

Thanks for sharing, hopefully I can get caught up on Day 8 before Thursday!

I had to laugh when you said you got mens sandals, because almost all of mine are. I have such big wide feet they are so much more comfortable.

Your Discovery Cove day loos like so much fun. It's another thing on my bucket list.

I wish Sea World Ohio was still around. I really enjoyed it. But it was an odd spot to have a park like that.

I catch up on a day and you're still a day ahead of me! :rotfl2:

The water park sounds OK, but I'm not so into climbing big staircases to be tossed down rapids in an inner tube! That is so frustrating having to buy new shoes on vacation, and that sales person was downright rude!

I'm glad you got to see Blue Horizons again, and feeding the dolphins sounds like a lot of fun. I like the smart one! Chili's is a pretty good place to eat, but I've never had a steak there, I like their fajitas!

Thanks for sharing, hopefully I can get caught up on Day 8 before Thursday!

As far as water parks are concerned, they really have this sorted at the Atlantis. There are no stairs to get to the slides. If you don't want to, you never have to leave your inner tube. Access to the slides is via waterways from the rapids/ lazy river and a series of conveyor belts. I wish somebody would build something like this in Orlando.

We love American steaks and Chili's does nice ones.

Thursdays update will be a bumper update. I had taken a week off from working on the trip report as I had quite a few installments in hand, but I have now started working on the cruise part of the trip.

I had to laugh when you said you got mens sandals, because almost all of mine are. I have such big wide feet they are so much more comfortable.

Your Discovery Cove day loos like so much fun. It's another thing on my bucket list.

I wish Sea World Ohio was still around. I really enjoyed it. But it was an odd spot to have a park like that.

I have the combined problem of very wide and high feet. Buying shoes that fit is no easy task.

Discovery Cove is an amazing day. If you ever get the chance to go, grab it with both hands.

A lot of the Discovery Cove dolphins came from Ohio.

Corinna

As far as water parks are concerned, they really have this sorted at the Atlantis. There are no stairs to get to the slides. If you don't want to, you never have to leave your inner tube. Access to the slides is via waterways from the rapids/ lazy river and a series of conveyor belts. I wish somebody would build something like this in Orlando.

We love American steaks and Chili's does nice ones.

Thursdays update will be a bumper update. I had taken a week off from working on the trip report as I had quite a few installments in hand, but I have now started working on the cruise part of the trip.
Corinna

That sounds really nice. I still haven't caught up, but I will try to do so. I love American Steaks too, I'm sorry that you don't have cuts like this in the UK, perhaps on your trip in November we can have you over at the house and make some nice steaks on the grill.

I'll talk via PM regarding other items for that trip, but I hope you two can come see the house. We may even have the Haunted Mansion room finished by then!

OK, now I'm all caught up. Discovery Cove sounds like a lot of fun. Someday we will put it on the list. I think Fran wants to be in better shape before we do it, but she was very excited about it before the whole venous ulcers thing happened.

I'm glad that the Dolphin swim worked out for you in that you were the only one the guide could actually talk to and the only one who could swim. Makes you wonder why the folks chose that particular package, but I guess it's not like some of the DCL excursions where they have "levels" of dolphin interaction.

Was the Helmet dive cool? We were signed up for that on our last cruise, but had to switch it out because of the leg problems. We are considering it for this fall.

That sounds really nice. I still haven't caught up, but I will try to do so. I love American Steaks too, I'm sorry that you don't have cuts like this in the UK, perhaps on your trip in November we can have you over at the house and make some nice steaks on the grill.

I'll talk via PM regarding other items for that trip, but I hope you two can come see the house. We may even have the Haunted Mansion room finished by then!

That sounds great and we would love to come and see the house. Graham has already mentioned that he wants to head to Long Beach one day as we will be in California in the middle of the southbound whale migration and Long Beach is supposedly a great starting point for whale watching tours. We will have plenty of time to talk about this.

The November trip is evolving. This was originally going to be a trip of just over 3 weeks with 3 nights at Disneyland, a week cruise on the Pride of America, a week at Aulani and then 5 or 6 nights at Disneyland. Then our plans for the May vacation kind of went belly up.

After we could not do the Panama Canal Cruise last September, I promised myself that if they released travel industry rates for the Westbound Panama Canal Cruise in May, I would be on the ship. The rates were released about a week ago and I placed a 24 hour hold on the reservation. Unfortunately the flights are crazy expensive during this period of time so we let the reservation lapse.

I was not too happy about this. This is a special year for a number of reasons. The Panama Canal celebrates its 100th anniversary this year. The new locks will open next year so this is quite likely the last year any Disney ship will go through the old locks. I also really want to say "goodbye" to the old Wonder. I was glad that I had the opportunity to sail on the Magic once more in her original state in November 2012 and as much as I loved what they have done with the Magic, I really want to have the same opportunity with the Wonder. I am sure I will love what they will do with her, but there are so many memories linked to that ship now that I want to enjoy her once more in her original state.

When Graham found out about the 100th anniversary and that the Panama Canal extension is finally set to open in spring next year, he suddenly was very keen to be on that cruise, too. There was no way we could budget for the inflated prices for flights in May and do the full Hawaii experience.

I have always been in two minds about that cruise anyway. The main reason why I wanted to do this is that I missed out on Tubing the Ditch in Kauai when we did the Hawaii cruise on the Wonder and I figured this would give me another chance. Graham has since found out that this could quite easily and relatively cheaply be done as a day trip from Aulani flying to Kauai in the morning and back in the late afternoon.

So the plan now is 2 or 3 nights Disneyland, a week Aulani and probably 6 or 7 nights Disneyland. That will then free up some budget and with that we can make the Panama Canal Cruise work. We are watching prices for flights like a hawk. Friday we will be past the 90 day mark and we are hoping that the prices will drop a little then. Keep your fingers crossed for us.

It was Dixie not Dolly! I asked Jo last night :-)

I thought it was probably Dixie. She is one of their older dolphins, but she is real character and an absolute sweetie. I have an engraved marble tile in my living room with a photo of Dixie and me.

Corinna

OK, now I'm all caught up. Discovery Cove sounds like a lot of fun. Someday we will put it on the list. I think Fran wants to be in better shape before we do it, but she was very excited about it before the whole venous ulcers thing happened.

I'm glad that the Dolphin swim worked out for you in that you were the only one the guide could actually talk to and the only one who could swim. Makes you wonder why the folks chose that particular package, but I guess it's not like some of the DCL excursions where they have "levels" of dolphin interaction.

Was the Helmet dive cool? We were signed up for that on our last cruise, but had to switch it out because of the leg problems. We are considering it for this fall.

Discovery Cove is amazing, but I agree that Fran would enjoy it a lot more if she is a bit more mobile.

I really don't understand why people who cannot swim would choose to go to Discovery Cove. Quite apart from the dolphin swim, most activities are water-based. I would not feel safe there if I could not swim. Still, it all worked out for me.

The helmet dive was very cool. This was one of the most amazing things I ever did. It is so neat to actually be properly in the world of the fish. I have really enjoyed snorkeling since 2011 and also had a great time trying a scuba-assisted snorkeling experience in the Living Seas Aquarium at Epcot in 2012, but as much fun as this was, you still stayed at the surface of the water looking down. With the helmet dive, we were right at the bottom of the reef with fish all around us and above us.

Corinna

I don't recall the helmet dive option when we went but it was many moons ago. It had not been open long. Maybe only 6 months. I had never snorkelled before because I have a water phobia ( shark phobia don't ask lol ) but it really built my confidence. After this I snorkelled in open water off a boat trip from the Atlantis and seeing the marine life was out of this world. Thank you Discovery Cove!

My only critique was the food was appalling and in Seaworld generally! We went back to Seaworld this September to see the Penguins and I do think the food offerings have improved. I had the nicest turkey burger :-) I hope they have improved in DC. Back then you got lunch but I don't recall breakfast.

I don't recall the helmet dive option when we went but it was many moons ago. It had not been open long. Maybe only 6 months. I had never snorkelled before because I have a water phobia ( shark phobia don't ask lol ) but it really built my confidence. After this I snorkelled in open water off a boat trip from the Atlantis and seeing the marine life was out of this world. Thank you Discovery Cove!

My only critique was the food was appalling and in Seaworld generally! We went back to Seaworld this September to see the Penguins and I do think the food offerings have improved. I had the nicest turkey burger :-) I hope they have improved in DC. Back then you got lunch but I don't recall breakfast.

For me it was the other way round. I learned snorkeling in the open water in the Pacific near Puerto Vallarta. I had developed just holding my face close to the water and watching the fish from the surface to an art form in the Bahamas and the Caribbean. When we were in Puerto Vallarta, there were some beautiful blue fish and they just stayed far enough down that I could not see them very clearly. As blue is my favourite colour, I wanted to have a closer look and the only way I could was by using the mask and snorkel. The fish in question were King Angelfish and I have not looked back since.

Prior to this trip, I had always enjoyed the food at Discovery Cove, but lunch this time round was quite disappointing. I loved the breakfast though. I think the introduced breakfast in 2005 and in 2009 it was still only continental breakfast so they introduced the cook options after this.

Corinna

Enjoying the trip report.....But Corinna ya know I am impatiently waiting for the cruise part.....LOL

Be patient, it is coming ;). I will post about my first day at the Magic Kingdom shortly and then there are two more installments before we get on the Magic.

Corinna

Day 9

This was my first day at the Magic Kingdom and the last day of my Ride-a-Thon for Give Kids The World Village. This was also the day I would attend Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. Originally the plan had been to do my Christmas shopping in the morning and then head to the park mid afternoon. Of course, I had done my Christmas shopping already so I decided to have a lazy morning and then head to the park around lunchtime. This did not quite work out either. I managed to stay in bed until about 8:00, but by 9:00, I was getting antsy. So I decided to head out. Graham walked me to the bus stop and just as we got there, we saw the bus coming off the freeway. We had a clear run and the monorail arrived about the same time as I did. I was inside the Magic Kingdom by 10:30. I stopped just inside the entrance for some Photopass photos. The t-shirt that I was wearing that day got some attention again and I ended up explaining what I was up to with the Ride-A-Thon.

The first thing I spotted when I entered Town Square was the huge Christmas tree. This was not there in 2012 and therefore caught me by surprise. Around the Christmas tree were three different character meet and greets. Before I went to check those out, I had a couple of other things planned. First of all, I spotted that Santa was already out next to the Town Hall. I went to see Santa at Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party the previous year and spent a long time in line. The line this time round was quite manageable. It did not move particularly quickly as Santa took his time with everybody, but the wait was worth it. I was not quite sure how Santa would react to a single adult, but he took his time with me and this may well be the best character interaction I ever had.

Once I had said goodbye to Santa, I headed across to the theatre to check out the waiting time for Mickey. I had read shortly before the trip that Mickey now talked. I was not quite sure what to expect. I was so used to most characters being silent that I thought Mickey suddenly talking might be a distraction. I also was not quite sure about the quality of the conversation. Still, I wanted to experience this for myself. The waiting time was about 30 minutes, but there were Fastpasses available for less than an hour later. So I decided to go for this. Once I had my Fastpass, I decided to meet the characters at Town Square. This was all a bit confusing. As there were three characters in very close proximity, it was not all that obvious which line belonged to whom. In the end I had to ask a cast member. It turned out that Duffy had no line at all so I headed there first and had a nice interaction. I learned something new as I was saying goodbye to Duffy. As part of the Limited Time Magic promotion, they had a Secret Santa week. Every time you went to see a character, you were given an autograph card. This kept me busy for the next couple of days. I also managed to see Pluto and Marie without too much of a wait. The previous year, meeting Marie was one of the big highlights for me and I had a lot of fun with her. This time around, she was a bit more subdued. Pluto was his usual fun self though.

There was still a bit of time until I could go and see Mickey. There was one thing that I had to take care of. I had started to play The Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom the previous year. I had been issued with a separate key card for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party and now I did not know which key card was the correct one to use. I headed for the Fire House and they soon put me on the right path and also reminded me which portal I needed to go to first. I knew that I was due to start a mission at Fantasyland, but could not remember where. So this saved me some time. I was advised that the rules had changed since I last played and at I now had to play a portal before getting my cards. I was fine with this. I was planning on getting back to the game as soon as I had seen Mickey anyway.

I still had a little bit of time. I browsed in a couple of shops and had some Photopass photos taken on Main Street. I then treated myself to some ice cream as a late breakfast at the Plaza Ice Cream Parlor. I had the All-American Sundae, which consists of old-fashioned Vanilla and Chocolate Ice Cream with hot Fudge, Peanut Butter Drizzle, whipped Cream and a Cherry. I admired the Christmas themed window displays along Main Street while I enjoyed my sundae. I also bumped into the Major of Main Street and his companion.

By the time I had finished my ice cream, my Fastpass window had opened. I headed for the Town Square Theatre to see Mickey. After my experience at the Character Connection, I expected a bit of a wait, but pretty much as soon as I entered the Fastpass line, I was invited into the room where Mickey was. I had two families in front of me and one other family was already with Mickey. This gave me some time to have a look around. The room had changed. The previous year, it had a travel theme with trunks with labels for various Disney destinations used as props. This time round, the room was a magician’s dressing room. It was also fun watching Mickey interact with other people. He did a magic trick for the couple in front of me. Let's just say, he is not a very good magician. He is however utterly charming. When it was my turn, he welcomed me and then told me that he had been to "that creepy house on Liberty Square" and that a ghost had threatened to follow him home. He then asked me if this had ever happened to me. I confirmed that it had and then he acted all worried asking me if the ghost had followed me to this room. I told him that I had taken the ghost back to the UK and that he was safe. There was a bit more banter and then we posed for photos. Mickey suggested that we should say "creepy". I was really surprised by this. I figured that Mickey was able to say a few stock sentences, but it really felt like I had a real conversation with him. Mickey may not be a very good magician, but the experience was truly magical.

Once I had said goodbye to Mickey, I went to Fantasyland. I had a villain to deal with. I actually found the right portal straightaway. I really love The Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom and have a lot of fun playing this, but the map that they provide is worse than useless. It is more a question of taking an educated guess where you need to go than actually being able to navigate. This is especially true at Fantasyland, where all the portals are very close together. On a positive note, this also means that if you get it wrong, you don't have to go very far to find the right portal. In the other lands, the portals are a lot more spread out. Anyway, this time round I found the right portal straightaway. There were some people already playing so I had a bit of a wait. This was no hardship. There was a streetmosphere character nearby and she asked a young boy if he was hoping to find a princess. This was so funny. She herself was dressed like a princess. Eventually it was my turn. There is an animated sequence at the first portal explaining the mission and setting the scene. My mission this time was to defeat Maleficent and my guides were Flora, Fauna and Merriweather. Then it was off to the next portal. At that stage I got confused and ended up at the wrong portal. It is a little annoying when you are waiting behind three families only to realize that you are in the wrong place. Still, I found the right portal soon enough and the rest was plain sailing. I had to cast a total of three different spells and use the Sorcerer's Crest from the back of the cards once and Maleficent was defeated. This mission involved 4 different portals and at the end it showed me the portal for my next mission, which was in Adventureland. I decided to take a break from defeating villains and headed towards the Enchanted Forrest.

One thing that I really had enjoyed the previous year was lunch at Be Our Guest. So once I knew I would be back, I was in no doubt that I would eat there again. This was where I was headed next. The previous year this was still during soft opening and the line was quite impressive. This time round there was hardly a line at all. There were just a few people right by the castle gates and I joined them. About 5 minutes later, we were allowed in. I waited maybe another 5 minutes in the hallway where the suits of armour are and then I was told to proceed to one of the kiosks where you order your food. Once I had done this, I took my rose and found somewhere to sit. This time there were no cast members at hand trying to direct people to the various dining areas. I chose to eat in the Rose Gallery again. I found a table and put down my enchanted rose so that they could find me with my food and then I went to get myself a drink from the self-service machines. I went with Orange Soda. For my food I had chosen the French Onion Soup and the Braised Pork (Coq Au Vin style): Eight-hour slow-cooked Pork with Mushrooms, Onions, Carrots and Bacon served with Mashed Potatoes and Green Beans Jardinière. The French Onion Soup was nice, but nothing special. The pork however was a wonderful as I remembered it. It was melt in your mouth and full of flavour. Unfortunately I was not quite as hungry as I thought and could not finish all of my food.

I was absolutely blown away by the theming of the place again. I spent a fair while after I had finished my lunch enjoying it, taking it all in and taking some photos. I spotted some Christmas decorations in the ballroom that I did not remember from the previous year. They had Christmas wreath on the wall and a beautiful Christmas tree at the back of the room. There were a number of people taking photos in front of this so it took a bit of patience until I got a chance to take a photo without people in it.

Once I had enjoyed my beautiful surroundings for long enough, I decided to continue on towards Belle's village. I had pretty much bypassed this area last year. I had a quick look in the gift shop and then spotted a Photopass photographer by Gaston's fountain. I decided to have some photos taken and I love how they have come out. When we were finished, he told me that Gaston would be out in a minute or two and pointed to a corner near the gift shop. I decided this as I was there anyway, I may as well meet him. He arrived shortly afterwards. I have to say, he was easy on the eye, but definitely behaved like he was God's gift to women. I had to laugh though. The man from the couple in front of me was called Gaston, too, and he did not quite know what to make of this. The whole interaction was a lot of fun and I am glad that I just happened upon Gaston.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter