Saying Goodbye to Disney?

GeorgiaHoo

DIS Veteran
Saw this story on Yahoo today and it hit home for me. https://www.yahoo.com/news/im-canceling-disney-world-annual-204732661.html. Although we've never had annual passes, we've been going to Disneyland or Disney World as a family since the late 90s. I've enjoyed every trip (aside from one where the weather was just awful the whole time--clearly not Mickey's fault), and have many great memories and pictures. That said, our 2022 spring trip may have been the last. It's REALLY expensive and the experience has definitely changed for the worse (in my opinion).

Just commenting to say that our family is right there with you. I grew up in Disney and up until the pandemic hit, we were taking regular trips with our kids. I am just so glad that we didn't end up buying into DVC so that we were stuck. Disney isn't what it used to be and it is really disappointing. We are taking our last trip and then it's time to see the rest of the real world.

We’ve never had passes either, but have no desire to stop going. I went twice when I was younger, once in elementary school and once in high school.

As an adult, I’ve gone in 2014, 16, 18, and 22. I can’t wait to go back in 2024. Yeah it’s expensive, crowded, and things are changing, but I had just as much fun as ever. I don’t like paying for LL, but I like the system better than FP. I hated planning my days months in advance. Things aren’t perfect by any stretch, but it’s still an amazing vacation.

In all honestly, all those trips have cost me just about the same. Ive cut some things out, but have still had the same fun. I’ve driven instead of flown (which really helps in having breakfast/snack food and drinks to cut a big expense of morning breakfast and evening drinks whether it be alcoholic or just water). Did split stays or mods instead of deluxe. Done less table service and done quick service. I know people hate having to make changes, but prices are going to go up and you’ll have to account for that.

As far as pricing, I think most trips have gone up drastically. We go to the beach yearly (outer banks). We always would be able to get an oceanfront house with a pool and hot tub for around $1000 in may and September in the early 2010s. Now you’d be lucky to get a house a few rows back from oceanfront with no pool or hot tub for that price. I’ve noticed for the most part the prices have gone up anywhere from double to 3/4x as much in the last 10ish years.

Rental cars are ridiculous, as well as airfare. Amusement park prices are going up. Sporting event prices are going up. I used to be able to get pirates (baseball) tickets for $9 a handful of years ago, now the cheapest is 20 and they haven’t improved. Resorts I do think at Disney have went up more than other hotels.

It is what it is. Yeah, Disney is nickel and diming everybody, but so is every other company in the world.

Taking the grandkids to WDW over Thanksgiving and then that's it. Sold 3 of our 4 DVC contract and the last will go on the resale market just before this trip. Sold all our Disney stock and even though we're platinum Castaway Club members we've switched to another cruise line, can't justify the Disney premium anymore when you compare to others.

Why, it's not a vacation anymore. There are too many 'things' you now need to do in order to visit. Got your hotel and tickets? If yes you can then make a park reservation. Is it now 60 days prior, OK start trying to find dining reservations that match up with your park reservations. If you have park hoppers you might try for another park hoping that there's still availability for you to hop. Midnight the day that you're going to a park you can now spend extra money to purchase Genie+ access for the day and then wake up at 7AM again to try to get any individual Lightning Lane reservations.

I'm not renewing my annual pass but it has nothing to do with any of the usual complaints. It's simply math for me. I'm out of state non-DVC so I have to get the most expensive one, which is no biggy. However, to justify that cost you need to visit x amount of days a year. I say x because it's a moving target with tickets costing a different amount on different days at different times of year. I think I did the math when I bought mine last and, for me, it would be something like 15 days a year. I'm in the middle of retiring which means income is going to be 0. I am prepared for this and have plenty of savings to get me through until I reach SS age, which is in 15 months. Which means I can't go to Disney 15 days, I always stay on site and that's not going to change. I have a trip coming up in August, the last on my current AP. Since April of 2021 I've gone on 4 trips of varying length, this August trip will be #5. I plan on taking a trip next April (my birthday month) but that will be it during that 15 month period. I'm hoping AP's will come back during that time and if they do, I will buy one again.

If it weren't for that, I'd still be going at least twice if not more a year. Has it changed, of course, Name one thing that hasn't. Is it more expensive, sure, name one thing that hasn't gone up. Don't even get me started on Krystal hamburgers that were $1 in the before times and are now over $2. Darn things were a dime when I was a kid.

We were AP's from 2003- 2020 and live 72 miles north and would pop down 2-3 times a year to DL and DCA. Sadly, we won't be revisiting until the mess of Genie, Genie + , Genie ++ and Lightening Lanes get sorted out .

We want to enjoy our family, appreciate the artwork, craftsmanship, history, people watch and NOT have our head buried our cell phones worrying if the battery will run out.

We understand the concept for staffing, capacity, making $$ from those who travel vs locals etc... But it seems more like a hassle than fun now...

Not season pass holders but can definitely understand. Live on Long Island so Season Passes really don't make sense. Doing the math we have gone to Disney on average about every 1 and 1/2 years since 1999. I agree, we have continued to pay up and up and up all the while getting less and less and less. And I agree the technology they have put in place to micro-manage their staffing to save money has eroded the experience we once enjoyed. After this years cheer nationals we really don't have an any reason to return and won't.

A bit ironic that the top reasons for the author leaving Disney are the crowds and cost. Why can't people understand that you CANNOT have both low crowds and low cost. The only way to control overcrowding is to raise prices, hence why people are threatening to leave. This is what we all want right?

Why can't people understand that you CANNOT have both low crowds and low cost.
Maybe it's because high prices have done nothing to mitigate crowds? If higher prices relieved overcrowding, then I would be accept them. But Disney raises prices while continuing to admit more people than the parks can reasonably handle.

Maybe it's because high prices have done nothing to mitigate crowds? If higher prices relieved overcrowding, then I would be accept them. But Disney raises prices while continuing to admit more people than the parks can reasonably handle.
That's because Disney hasn't raised prices enough. Why would Disney NOT continue to raise prices when more people continue to come? There is a big difference between THREATENING not to go, and actually not going. Even the author of the article ends it by saying they're done with Disney....for now. It's an empty threat and Disney doesn't care because for every one person threatening to leave, there are plenty waiting to replace them.

That's because Disney hasn't raised prices enough. Why would Disney NOT continue to raise prices when more people continue to come? There is a big difference between THREATENING not to go, and actually not going. Even the author of the article ends it by saying they're done with Disney....for now. It's an empty threat and Disney doesn't care because for every one person threatening to leave, there are plenty waiting to replace them.
That's a reasonable position (maybe?). But Disney is now exceedingly expensive, and has done nothing to control crowds by raising costs. I would say our family not going is not an empty threat, but you may be right that there are others waiting in the wings. Will be interesting to see how things play out. Everyone appears to agree that Disney has raised prices, cut services, increased the stress of a trip, and done nothing to manage crowds. That doesn't seem like a winning formula but I could be wrong.

That's a reasonable position (maybe?). But Disney is now exceedingly expensive, and has done nothing to control crowds by raising costs. I would say our family not going is not an empty threat, but you may be right that there are others waiting in the wings. Will be interesting to see how things play out. Everyone appears to agree that Disney has raised prices, cut services, increased the stress of a trip, and done nothing to manage crowds. That doesn't seem like a winning formula but I could be wrong.
I'm not disagreeing that Disney has become more expensive and amenities have diminished. Sure there are staffing shortages. Sure people are still "revenge" traveling. Sure there are supply chain issues. But EVERY industry is feeling those effects and operating accordingly to navigate their businesses. Yet, the parks are more crowded than ever. To Disney's senior leadership, these numbers indicate only one thing, that their parks are more popular than EVER. So why wouldn't they raise prices, especially after having lost billions during the pandemic? Look. I get it. People are in a toxic love-hate relationship with Disney and it's hard for people to come to terms with giving up something they've loved for years. I sympathize. But all this complaining does nothing. It only makes one look whiny and entitled. No one is forcing anyone go to go Disney. Just because one person can't afford the "magic" anymore doesn't mean there aren't others who are willing to pay. I'm one of those willing to pay. Not only because I'm invested through DVC. But there is no better alternative for my family because other vacations aren't as fun and they too are very expensive.

.....it's not a vacation anymore. There are too many 'things' you now need to do in order to visit. Got your hotel and tickets? If yes you can then make a park reservation. Is it now 60 days prior, OK start trying to find dining reservations that match up with your park reservations. If you have park hoppers you might try for another park hoping that there's still availability for you to hop. Midnight the day that you're going to a park you can now spend extra money to purchase Genie+ access for the day and then wake up at 7AM again to try to get any individual Lightning Lane reservations.
....you practically have to have a computer/ technology lesson first in order to be able to use the app. :mad:

.....I am just so glad that we didn't end up buying into DVC so that we were stuck. Disney isn't what it used to be and it is really disappointing. We are taking our last trip and then it's time to see the rest of the real world.
....I was afraid of that for my middle DS - personally, I think he's 'stuck' with his DVC points too. My youngest DS works at DHS and is considering getting a job with US/IoA now....

Last edited:
For me, it’s just the nickel and diming that has been going on that rubs me the wrong way. I get it, inflation is high, but Disney takes things to the extreme. It is definitely not an affordable trip by any means for any working class.

Full disclosure, I own 2 DVC contracts and mainly for the lower cost for deluxe accommodations. I’d be fine either selling both or just renting the points out and never going back. It’s apparent that Disney does not care at all as people continue to feed into this new branding. They’re taking full advantage at the consumers expense.

For me, it’s just the nickel and diming that has been going on that rubs me the wrong way. I get it, inflation is high, but Disney takes things to the extreme. It is definitely not an affordable trip by any means for any working class.

Full disclosure, I own 2 DVC contracts and mainly for the lower cost for deluxe accommodations. I’d be fine either selling both or just renting the points out and never going back. It’s apparent that Disney does not care at all as people continue to feed into this new branding. They’re taking full advantage at the consumers expense.
...ITA!

This thread really resonates with me. We have been out of state AP holders for 8 years. 2 of our kids are grown now, and our youngest child is 16. We really don't enjoy going to the parks nearly as much( except Epcot) due to the crowds and as others have pointed out, the way too complicated logistics of park reservations, Genie plus etc. What we enjoy most now about WDW is, hanging out at our resort, then going to the other resorts for dining and maybe a few drinks, basically relaxing. Our APs our due for renewal in January and right now we are 75% sure we won't renew. Sad, but time to turn the page I think.

I'm not disagreeing that Disney has become more expensive and amenities have diminished. Sure there are staffing shortages. Sure people are still "revenge" traveling. Sure there are supply chain issues. But EVERY industry is feeling those effects and operating accordingly to navigate their businesses. Yet, the parks are more crowded than ever. To Disney's senior leadership, these numbers indicate only one thing, that their parks are more popular than EVER. So why wouldn't they raise prices, especially after having lost billions during the pandemic? Look. I get it. People are in a toxic love-hate relationship with Disney and it's hard for people to come to terms with giving up something they've loved for years. I sympathize. But all this complaining does nothing. It only makes one look whiny and entitled. No one is forcing anyone go to go Disney. Just because one person can't afford the "magic" anymore doesn't mean there aren't others who are willing to pay. I'm one of those willing to pay. Not only because I'm invested through DVC. But there is no better alternative for my family because other vacations aren't as fun and they too are very expensive.
Most people, when asked the question "If a company you have been doing business with for 20 years just kept raising prices and continually provided less and less service, would you continue doing business with them?" A very large portion would probably say no. I just use this example to illustrate that the people you describe as whiny and entitled are just people with common sense and obviously much less money than you. Just sayin

Most people, when asked the question "If a company you have been doing business with for 20 years just kept raising prices and continually provided less and less service, would you continue doing business with them?" A very large portion would probably say no. I just use this example to illustrate that the people you describe as whiny and entitled are just people with common sense and obviously much less money than you. Just sayin
I can see how my comments can seem cold to those with “less money than me.” Being wealthy is a completely subjective and relative term. We ALL make choices based on limited resources, no matter where we sit on the socio-economic ladder. This specific author is a local AP holder who probably went to Disney 20 times a year and is now complaining because he can no longer go as often because of the high crowds and prices. Maybe the whole point is to get people like him to come less to make it more enjoyable for others who come less. Do I wish I can go to Disney more often? Of course! But because of the higher prices, I choose to go less often. This is what Disney wants and I’m ok with that. I am certainly not happy about the diminished benefits. But maybe those benefits will get better when there are less people in the parks? All I’m saying is, no one is entitled to Disney. It’s not a non profit or government agency. It’s a business. Complaining about a business trying to maximize profits only falls on deaf ears. Just my opinion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter