"Saving Mr. Banks" ranked as one of the best films of 2013

Her editing rights ended at the movie premier. She allegedly claimed she was not aware of that until Walt told her when she was talking about re editing the movie.

Tonka, thanks for the clarification. If Travers indeed had editing rights prior to the premiere, she either wasn't involved in the production editing or for some inexplicable reason didn't invoke her rights during it - for she seemingly would never have approved the film being premiered in the form it was.

As for "Saving Mr. Banks" not including these details, that's not surprising (Disney isn't going to release a film that in any way slights its founder). But it still bothered me that the script approach taken was to fabricate a "happy-ever-after" reconcilliation that not only never happened, but which was 180 degrees away from what really transpired. This thread suggests there are a good number of people seeing the film who are taking the storyline as gospel, which it's not.

Tonka, thanks for the clarification. If Travers indeed had editing rights prior to the premiere, she either wasn't involved in the production editing or for some inexplicable reason didn't invoke her rights during it - for she seemingly would never have approved the film being premiered in the form it was.

As for "Saving Mr. Banks" not including these details, that's not surprising (Disney isn't going to release a film that in any way slights its founder). But it still bothered me that the script approach taken was to fabricate a "happy-ever-after" reconcilliation that not only never happened, but which was 180 degrees away from what really transpired. This thread suggests there are a good number of people seeing the film who are taking the storyline as gospel, which it's not.

I didn't take the ending as a happy ever after. I thought she was still bitter and Disney was still ok with taking the story. I went in with very little knowledge of the truth and didn't think/feel it was the factual account. There aren't many stories that are. It's still a superb film.

As I pointed out she was not all that rational. If she was indeed not aware of the end of her editing rights after the premier, she may have thoughts that was when she would make all the changes she wanted.

Actually the producer and the director both praised Disney for no interfering in the movie content. Of course that doesn't means they never had any say. People from that time or now the real story, have agreed its pretty close to what really happened, but I agree it can't be 100% gospel.
I do agree there was never a happy ending on Mrs. Travers part! However that didn't stop the Lady from cashing all the checks!

AKK

Saw it last night and enjoyed it very much. I can see why it is on the list.

As some have stated, kids may or may not get the full understanding. My DD11 enjoyed the movie, but did not understand all of the symbolism of some events and only made the final connection after we had time to discuss it after the movie. I think when we see it again she will appreciate it even more. Will definitely be adding to our collection when it is released on DVD/Blueray.

I saw the movie before Christmas and thought it was very good, but very sad. I did a lot of crying during it. I will say that the scenes of Disneyland of the time were spot on and they instantly transported me back in time. One thing I thought was odd was, unless I missed it, no mention of Julie Andrews. She complained about Dick Van Dyke, but I don't remember anything about Ms. Andrews?

Ugh,
I wanted to watch it yesterday but then we saw the PG-13 rating. We were already on the fence about it because of our youngest is 6 (figured it would be too boring for him). Instead we went to The Secret Life of WM because it was PG. It was surprisingly good, but still a little dry for my youngest. However it sounds like we made the right decision.
I really want to see this movie so I'll have to pawn the kids off on someone and try to scrape up a date night with my wife somehow...

I saw the movie before Christmas and thought it was very good, but very sad. I did a lot of crying during it. I will say that the scenes of Disneyland of the time were spot on and they instantly transported me back in time. One thing I thought was odd was, unless I missed it, no mention of Julie Andrews. She complained about Dick Van Dyke, but I don't remember anything about Ms. Andrews?

If I remember correctly.........Mrs. Travers found Ms. Andrews *satisfactory*. You have to remember she was of course English and Mrs. Travers was always fighting to remove all Americans from the cast and use only English actors.

AKK

Just got back from seeing this terrific movie.What a great story and such great actors(loved Colin Farrel).Was I the only one who cried??

No, I cried too. I thought it was very well made. I love 'behind the scenes' anything.

I think it's also important for viewers to realize that this is not a documentary.

I would definitely not take a 9 y/o to this movie. It has very realistic portrayals of alcoholism,.tuberculosis, and deep depression. There are many scenes I would not want to have to explain should a.child that age have questions. It is about Mary Poppins, yes, but saving Mr. Banks is not a child's movie, imo.

The portrayal of her father's death in this movie was not a portrayal of tuberculosis. He died of alcoholism. Alcoholics develop varicose veins in their esophagus, called esophageal varices. This is what caused him to cough up so much blood.

The portrayal of her father's death in this movie was not a portrayal of tuberculosis. He died of alcoholism. Alcoholics develop varicose veins in their esophagus, called esophageal varices. This is what caused him to cough up so much blood.

Interesting. I thought it was tuberculosis, too, simply because the standard movie reference to TB is always the cough with blood stained handkerchief.

I did a little research and he actually died of influenza. I could find no references that alcohol played a direct part in his death, but it probably contributed, at the very least.

Influenza would certainly exacerbate the condition you mention. So the portrayal in the movie would be accurate.

Interesting. I thought it was tuberculosis, too, simply because the standard movie reference to TB is always the cough with blood stained handkerchief.

I did a little research and he actually died of influenza. I could find no references that alcohol played a direct part in his death, but it probably contributed, at the very least.

Influenza would certainly exacerbate the condition you mention. So the portrayal in the movie would be accurate.

Hi again Yellowstonetim...

I of course believe you since you did the homework on the TB, but I do remember reading he was a alcoholic.

AKK

Yellowstonetim said:

Yes, since that is a standard way to portray tb in movies, and that wouldn't have been an out of the question sickness for the time period, that.is why I thought it was tb.

Thanks for the research, yellowstonetim

I apologize if my post sounded like I was being a "Know-it-all". When I watched the movie I recognized the coughing of blood as being related to alcoholism because I am a health care professional. My mother, who was with me, also thought it was TB. I researched his death and found no mention of TB. Again, I didn't mean to sound like I was correcting anyone.

sebastian75_99 said:
I apologize if my post sounded like I was being a "Know-it-all". When I watched the movie I recognized the coughing of blood as being related to alcoholism because I am a health care professional. My mother, who was with me, also thought it was TB. I researched his death and found no mention of TB. Again, I didn't mean to sound like I was correcting anyone.

Not at all, I didn't take it that way. In fact it makes sense since he didn't die of TB but of influenza, that flu and alcoholism produced the result portrayed in the movie for the reason you described. And I'm no expert, I've just been googling and reading out of curiosity. :)

Not at all, I didn't take it that way. In fact it makes sense since he didn't die of TB but of influenza, that flu and alcoholism produced the result portrayed in the movie for the reason you described. And I'm no expert, I've just been googling and reading out of curiosity. :)

Thanks Yellowstonetim

Really chuffed as Disney have struggled with their live action films recently even though I thought Lone Ranger was quite good.

Linda - Yes I know that the premiere of Mary Poppins was at the real Grauman theater in Hollywood and that DHS is a replica. What I want to know is: 1. Did they rent out the real Grauman theater to film the scence in Saving... or 2. Did they build it on a sound stage? or 3. Did they use DHS for free...blocking off parts of the park with big red curtains to film the outside sequences.
Purportedly, SMB was filmed outside the real theater for that particular scene, the rest at Disneyland, a local botanical garden, and studio backlots, all of which were in California. We found it to be a delightful movie, and as a few others have posted, we went in with a blank slate knowing only the vaguest of history behind the making of Mary Poppins. While undoubtedly not completely accurate, there were enough elements in the movie based on historical documents and recordings to give it a feel of authenticity. Certainly, no movie company (or in this case companies as Disney was only one of three or four producing the movie) would want to make a completely bleak film. The emotional motivation and ultimate catharsis for Travers was brilliantly conceived and no doubt a large part of her writing which is the main theme I took away from the movie. :thumbsup2

According to what I read, he died of influenza. I too thought TB during the movie.

Saw it today and loved it. Was wondering if Mr Disney really kept his smoking private? I always thought people said he smoked a lot. I found it odd that that was the only scene in the movie where we saw someone smoking. ESP when she was in the hotel bar. In the 60's didn't people smoke everywhere all the time??

I did notice several scenes with Walt coughing a lot. I guess foreshadowing what was to come. :( :worried:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter