Saratoga Springs vs Old Key West - Advice & Opinions Wanted!

wonderrx

Earning My Ears
Hello all, thanks in advance for your responses.

We are planning a relatively last minute trip arriving at Disney World July 4th through July 12th.

Party of 6.

2 Grandparents who get around pretty well, but are 73 and 83. A 11 year old and a 9 year old and 2 parents.

We took a tour of Saratoga Springs on an earlier trip and remembered the 2 bedroom units with kitchen, we are planning on going with that type of unit.

I know Old Key West has a similar set up to Saratoga but differs in some ways.

Taking the facts above into consideration where would you stay?

What are your pros and cons for each resort?

Any pro tips for these resorts/getting a good room?

Thanks again!
Tony

Old Key West has larger rooms. But Saratoga has elevators. For my parents, climbing the stairs at the end of a long Disney day at OKW can be a bit much for them. Since we don't put in any specific request rooms on the bottom floor

Definitely SSR because of the elevators. It's really hard for older folks to climb a couple flights of stairs after walking all day at the parks. Ask to be placed in the Springs or Grandstand sections to limit your amount of extra walking throughout the resort if you don't have a car with you.

Definitely SSR because of the elevators. It's really hard for older folks to climb a couple flights of stairs after walking all day at the parks. Ask to be placed in the Springs or Grandstand sections to limit your amount of extra walking throughout the resort if you don't have a car with you.

We will be driving to Disney so we will have a car, but don't necessarily plan to use it very much once there. I assume having a car doesn't really benefit you in the resort? Or are the bus stops far enough to possibly drive over to them?

Pros of OKW (biggest one for us) is the large deck which we pretty much use as an extra room to enjoy, plus the walk-in laundry room instead of just the closet ones at SSR - also the extra square footage in the main living area is great when there's more than two of us.

Pros of SSR for your parents - definitely the elevators. Also, if you're able to request a lock-off, do that - means the grandparents will get a couch and a bed in their studio size room instead of two beds, plus their own balcony and a kitchenette for breakfast items and snacks so they can keep their privacy if they don't want to wander out into the kitchen where someone might be sleeping on the pullout

A car can definitely be helpful if you're not in a section close to the lobby/eating areas. Bus stop should be close enough to your room that walking shouldn't be too much of an issue. There are several bus stops within the resort. If you don't want to move the car at all, you can hop on one of the buses, and head to The Springs section which will get you very close to Artists palette and the sit down restaurant/lounge, pool, spa, etc. The park buses stop at The Springs section last, while the downtown Disney buses stop at Springs first. Thought this might be helpful to you! Enjoy your trip!!!

Have you considered the tree houses? It could fit your configuration pretty nicely. 3 bedrooms, a bunk room for kids and the price is about the same for a 2 bedroom at SSR and you get 3! We are doing this in November. No stairs, a ramp of sorts leading up to entry. If you don't have a car, you can request one very near the front so the bus stop will be closer to you. Not sure what availability will be like though July 4th.

In addition to what other posters have mentioned, I'd venture to guess your children would like the pools at SSR better than the pools at OKW. Our children are the same age as yours and that is what they think. :-)

Forgot to say that we WILL have a car this time to take advantage of free parking and no bus waiting. We have found over the years waiting for busses is getting old for us. Most people say having a car in the Treehouses is encouraged.

Thank you all for your feedback!

We have booked at SSR with a AAA discount (got it competitive to some of the DVC resale websites). We are going to request to be on the end nearer to Downtown Disney.

If I forget to circle back here and post our experience in this thread someone reply here after July to remind me!

Thanks again!

I would say saratoga. The rooms are newer and alot nicer. The pools are great especially the new paddock pool.

If you will have a car I personally think driving around saratoga is easier too

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter