Saratoga Springs help

SSR is our home resort and we stay there at least 50% of the time. We prefer the Paddock section as it is the middle bus stop of 5 - so not on the bus too long coming or going. And usually not a space problem getting on the bus. We like building #5501-5836 which is adjacent to the pool and Paddock bus stop and this is what we put as a location request - we also request first floor so no elevators to deal with. It is also right next the the footbridge that goes over to the Springs section. It is a "standard" section so uses less points than if staying in the Springs. The Paddock section also has a nice feature pool and snack bar. The Turf Club at SSR is a lovely restaurant - very much overlooked and often considered a hidden gem. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there VS going to a moderate. Hopefully you've got your res all sorted out by now.

SSR owner here with a comment to the OP @SweetSerenity -- just FYI that SSR is due for a hard goods refurbishment and overhaul of the units in late 2019! Most of the rooms at SSR are very "worn in" (to word it nicely) with dated furniture and heavily trafficked carpets. With it being your first DVC trip, I don't want the quality of the rooms to give you a negative first impression.

My wife and I love SSR! Welcome home!

DH and I dislike SSR. (We only stay there if there is nothing else left.) We dislike the theming and there are too many buildings (just the fact that SSR and OKW have multiple bus stops says something!). I'd definitely call to see if they can get you a special 1 time booking for buying direct. If that doesn't work, I'd book at SSR, and waitlist 2 other resorts--Polynesian and maybe Boardwalk (as there is only 1 elevator, I'd request 'near elevator')? Boardwalk is in 'walking' distance of both Epcot and Hollywood Studios. She'd definitely need the ECV for it though!

DH and I dislike SSR. (We only stay there if there is nothing else left.) We dislike the theming and there are too many buildings (just the fact that SSR and OKW have multiple bus stops says something!). I'd definitely call to see if they can get you a special 1 time booking for buying direct. If that doesn't work, I'd book at SSR, and waitlist 2 other resorts--Polynesian and maybe Boardwalk (as there is only 1 elevator, I'd request 'near elevator')? Boardwalk is in 'walking' distance of both Epcot and Hollywood Studios. She'd definitely need the ECV for it though!
Concerning multiple bus stops. If you stay at the Polynesian, you have multiple stops on the monorail and the smaller boat (or use the bigger ferry and walk from there). Plus buses are shared with other resorts so you have multiple stops there as well. Probably the resorts you can walk to the theme park from (BLT, BCV, BWV) are the only ones where you have a non-stop unless your feet give out and you need to sit down.

At OKW, there are times when the bus stops and goes right away because no one it getting off or getting on the bus at that stop. Never had any problems with the buses at OKW.

Yup! I think the Poly has the sofa bed and the pull down bed option (with a real mattress) in addition to the queen bed/mattress so if you are short (5'5" and under) the pull down murphy bed (I think it's regularly a table) might work for you.
I'm 5'9" so I think I wouldn't fit, ha!

Can't tell you much about Saratoga Springs, I've never stayed there, though I have driven around and walked the property. I would stay there if that was all that was available, and I wouldn't feel bad about it at all. ANY Disney Vacation is worthwhile. Period. Except that it sounds like you might have 5 people, and I think SSR is only supposed to have 4 people in their Studios. But then, so are the hotel rooms at French Quarter, etc.

You can only use your points for reservations at the Moderate resorts (the Disney Collection) if you bought Direct from Disney. It is one of the 'Perks' that Disney restricts from resale purchasers. There are various rules, perhaps the most important being the 'Rule of Four' which essentially says that you cannot make this 'exchange' (and Disney does consider it an exchange of DVC Points into Reservation Points) if you are more than 4 months from the end of your Use Year. Once you have done this, then the 'Reservation Points' go back into your account as Reservation Points, and cannot be used for DVC. They can only then be used for a different reservation at a Moderate Resort, or (maybe?) a Disney Cruise.

Exchanging your points in this way is not generally considered to be a good use of points. At a Moderate Resort the exchange rate isn't too bad, but for Cruises is it horrible, and I also one time used points to book a Hotel Room at Grand Californian. I love love love Grand Californian, but the point exchange rate was not good. The only reason I did that was because I really wanted to travel with my Family in mid-November, on relatively short notice. (The Rule of Four DOES NOT apply to Disneyland Hotels. I don't know why. So you can stay at Grand Californian, Disneyland Hotel and Paradise Pier Hotel on points, if you have points to burn.) Nowadays, if I was to do it again, I would probably just Rent out my points through one of the point brokers and use the cash to pay for the room.

Which brings up another thing you can do: Contact Davids Vacation Rentals or one of the other point brokers and rent out your points for $13 or $14 each, and then take the cash and use it to stay in a Disney hotel, even a Value Resort, if you want. It actually is quite easy to do. And cash is more flexible, if you are talking about Hotels rather than DVC Villas.

I realize that you probably won't do any of these things, but I wanted to explain some of the possibilities, so you can understand your DVC better.

There are only two of us going- just mom and me. I do so much appreciate your information. It's very helpful to this rookie.

Hi! Welcome Home! I do not think I would take my mom on a split stay as you both take your first DVC trip. Yes, all buildings in SSR have an elevator. There are five bus stops. There are preferred buildings, Congress Park and The Springs, and standard, Carousel, Grandstand and Paddock.

If you want to be closest to the main pool, check in building with the counter service and Turf Club, request The Springs. However, that’s the last bus stop to the parks, and if your mom uses an ECV, sometimes you may have to wait for a bus, because they only accommodate 2 per bus.

Still, I took my aunt last December, she had an ECV, we were in the Springs, and only once in 4 Park days did we have to wait for a second bus. My aunt, my cousins, my sister and I had a lovely SSR stay in an HA two bedroom.

Here’s the SSR lovers thread. There is a lot to read.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/ssr-lovers-and-owners-part-3.3303265/
Thank you! I think you're right: a split stay for 5 nights for two people without a car may a bit much for us as first-timers. How do you feel about Grandstand in proximity to the main building? I'd prefer to be on one of the earlier bus stops.

All of the buildings at SSR have elevators. But if OKW becomes an option, only three buildings there have elevators, so you may need to request a first floor studio for medical needs. At OKW you'd get two real queen beds, no sleeper sofa.

If you want to try for the Polynesian, you could waitlist that entire stay.
Two beds would be nice, but I'll be okay on the sofa. Thank you for the info.

SSR is my home dvc. If you want a pool and close to the main pool and main building then it's best to request the preferred area The Springs. This is closest to the main building which has the dining, is close to the boat to disney springs and close to the magical express bus stop. You always have the option of calling bell services and getting a golf cart type vehicle to pick you up as needed. All disney bus stops are at a short walk from the villas.
If you don't have a car and don't want to use the disney buses(there is long waits at park close) you have the option to rent a car, use the Minnie vans, lyft or Uber We rented and went and got our own groceries but that's all up to your own personal views
If you don't have the points an idea would be to contact sites like David's vacation club rentals https://www.dvcrequest.com/ where you can get more points thru DVC members that are selling their extra points. That might give you some more options for different villas .
We just got back from an 8 day trip and my wife needed an ecv. She had no problem with it at all. If your mother has any doubt about standing for long times, such as wait in line for rides or walking long distances, because WDW is very big. SSR is big. 1 trip around the lake at EPCOT is app 1.2 miles. Look at renting from a Disney provider ecv dealer They will deliver it to your resort and it'll be waiting for you. We rented from Apple again and had a new ecv with no issues.
{f you are flying make sure the airline knows about your mother and they will help her.
My mom was last at WDW in 2010, and she did use an ECV. She was able to go short distances without it, but it worked out better for her. I think some of her reservation about using the ECV again is that not only does she want to try to do it on her own, but on her last trip we had a terrible experience with other guests on the bus. They were so rude to her and made fun of her for needing the scooter. They asked her if she paid for the seats the ECV took up on the bus. It also died at Epcot, and we had to push it back to Pop. It was just terrible. I agree it would be safer for her to use it, and if there are times she feels like she doesn't have to then that's okay. People fail to realize that not all disabilities can be seen. She may look healthy, but she's had so many surgeries on her bones. Thank you for letting me know about the golf cart, too. It does seem like a very spread out resort.

If you go to SSR. I would request the Grandstand area building 16. It is really close to the paddock pool which is very quiet, has a soda fountain and a bar. The main building, the boat ramp are really close. It is the first bus stop so getting on the bus will be easy. You would be the first to get off when you get back. We stayed there in the fall in a 2 bedroom. It was wonderful. We have stayed in Congress Park and enjoyed the closeness to Disney Springs. It was a hike to get to the main building. We didn’t mind the walk, but some do not. The Turf Club, always had a great meal there.
Thank you. I think Grandstand would work best for us if that request is approved.
There is a reason why SSR is wide open. The walk alone to the bus stop could be an issue. (That doesnt include the pool and dining area issues). Disney Springs is also excessive walking. Please waitlist the Poly. You can have a good vacation just at that resort. Your back up plan should include OKW because they have buildings dedicated to mobility issues.
I didn't realize OKW has dedicated buildings. Thank you.

We enjoy SSR but it is spread out. Unless you will have a car, I think your mother is going to want an ECV because you just never know if your request will be honored. When we took my mom there was no way that she would have made it to the main buildings let alone around the parks or disney Springs with out it. I would think that you could do a split stay with the 2 nights at Poly and then the remaining 3 at SSR.
Thank you for your input.

Oh please don’t expect that they’ll do this for you. Some guides say this, but they will be extremely limited in their abilities. They can’t magically get rooms for you.

And please encourage your mom to get a scooter no matter where you stay. Even Poly is huge. SSR is giant.

I like the Paddock area at SSR.
We've talked about the scooter. She likely will rent one.

They actually have it is a program now - it's more formal than it used to be and I wouldn't hesitate to use that benefit of direct purchase nor discourage the use of it. No, there may be nothing but it is a bonafide part of purchasing now where as in the past it was a beg your guide type of thing. I actually don't know if it even needs to go thru a guide now but it wouldn't hurt to start there.
How do you get started with the program?

And Riverside is huge, and Caribbean Beach and Coronado Springs, and I swear Kidani Village is almost a half mile long, INSIDE the building, when you walk from one end of the building to the other. All of these places can be a challenge for people with arthritis or other problems.
You're right, moderates are a lot of walking as well.

For my precious mother I'd have a very frank discussion about walking and distances at WDW. It's a lot, even within any resort. If it's the difference between comfort and protecting against pain then I'd strongly suggest renting an ECV. Even if it isn't used all the time if there's any discomfort with walking it's going to show up most anywhere onsite. Be comfortable and really enjoy the trip!

I didn't notice if anyone asked if you were looking at the standard rooms or the preferred? It makes a difference on where you'd be and what you could request. And even different areas within the sections vary on the distance to the Carriage House. Most sections have a pool within them except for Carousel. Carousel is in the standard category so if you book preferred then you would guarantee not being in that section.

Definitely call and check about a Welcome Home booking though and see if they can find something at Poly for you or maybe they have another location that sounds interesting. It has to be for a stay within 6 months of your purchase which you probably just fit into.

Also, I'd stick with SSR vs trading out to a moderate. That trade has restrictions etc that aren't worth it IMO unless you just love that moderate and want to stay there.
As for standard vs. preferred, I have no preference. I wanted something close to the amenities we needed such as restaurants and the boat for DS. I know The Springs is preferred, but Grandstand isn't. Grandstand has the first bus stop, which is more appealing. If she has a scooter, then it doesn't really matter how far we have to walk as I will be the only one walking. I'll do research one the Welcome Home booking, thank you for your help.

SSR is our home resort and we stay there at least 50% of the time. We prefer the Paddock section as it is the middle bus stop of 5 - so not on the bus too long coming or going. And usually not a space problem getting on the bus. We like building #5501-5836 which is adjacent to the pool and Paddock bus stop and this is what we put as a location request - we also request first floor so no elevators to deal with. It is also right next the the footbridge that goes over to the Springs section. It is a "standard" section so uses less points than if staying in the Springs. The Paddock section also has a nice feature pool and snack bar. The Turf Club at SSR is a lovely restaurant - very much overlooked and often considered a hidden gem. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there VS going to a moderate. Hopefully you've got your res all sorted out by now.
I've heard good things about the Turf Club, thank you.

SSR owner here with a comment to the OP @SweetSerenity -- just FYI that SSR is due for a hard goods refurbishment and overhaul of the units in late 2019! Most of the rooms at SSR are very "worn in" (to word it nicely) with dated furniture and heavily trafficked carpets. With it being your first DVC trip, I don't want the quality of the rooms to give you a negative first impression.

My wife and I love SSR! Welcome home!
It won't give me a negative first impression, no worries, but thank you for the head's up. We are accustomed to staying in value and moderate resorts so a deluxe, even one in need of an upgrade, is a big step up for us.

Thank you for your opposite opinion. She loves Epcot so Beach Club or Boardwalk would be nice for that alone. I recently stayed at Boardwalk, though, and I get the impression she wouldn't be comfortable there.

Concerning multiple bus stops. If you stay at the Polynesian, you have multiple stops on the monorail and the smaller boat (or use the bigger ferry and walk from there). Plus buses are shared with other resorts so you have multiple stops there as well. Probably the resorts you can walk to the theme park from (BLT, BCV, BWV) are the only ones where you have a non-stop unless your feet give out and you need to sit down.

At OKW, there are times when the bus stops and goes right away because no one it getting off or getting on the bus at that stop. Never had any problems with the buses at OKW.
The perk of the Poly besides the fact that she really likes it there, is the monorail. I don't think she would enjoy the other monorail resorts. i'm trying to think of her wants and needs. Thank you!

Thank you all so much for your opinions! I appreciate all of your advice. You've all been really helpful and have given me a lot of insight.

After mulling it over, I realized that even if I could get The Poly, I wouldn't have enough points of my own to cover it. I understand I can rent from another source or borrow from 2020, but when I talked to her about it she decided that it didn't matter to her. We were both very apprehensive about the waitlist since if it failed, we wouldn't have a reservation at all. I have to compete with other people at work for approved time off so I could not change my dates. In the end, the only full reservation available was SSR so I booked it.

We have had the discussion about it being outdated and far away from the resorts. She is fully satisfied and said she looks forward to the close proximity to Disney Springs to do her shopping. She likes that there are so many pools, a counter service, and a TS. Also, there seem to be several places to refill our mugs if we get them. She knows I am going to request Grandstand because it is the first stop, but that there are other buildings that use that stop. I averaged 20,000 steps in November so she understands she will need the ECV.

She did express interest in Animal Kingdom Lodge, which is more compact (I've stayed there before) so the only thing I may do is look into seeing if I can change that reservation to AKL at Jambo if the opportunity presents itself and it's within the no-penalty zone for me to drop SSR. I'm not sure if that's even allowed with DVC.

Again, thank you all so much for your clarification. I was so completely lost, and you all helped me sort through it!

Thank you all so much for your opinions! I appreciate all of your advice. You've all been really helpful and have given me a lot of insight.

After mulling it over, I realized that even if I could get The Poly, I wouldn't have enough points of my own to cover it. I understand I can rent from another source or borrow from 2020, but when I talked to her about it she decided that it didn't matter to her. We were both very apprehensive about the waitlist since if it failed, we wouldn't have a reservation at all. I have to compete with other people at work for approved time off so I could not change my dates. In the end, the only full reservation available was SSR so I booked it.

We have had the discussion about it being outdated and far away from the resorts. She is fully satisfied and said she looks forward to the close proximity to Disney Springs to do her shopping. She likes that there are so many pools, a counter service, and a TS. Also, there seem to be several places to refill our mugs if we get them. She knows I am going to request Grandstand because it is the first stop, but that there are other buildings that use that stop. I averaged 20,000 steps in November so she understands she will need the ECV.

She did express interest in Animal Kingdom Lodge, which is more compact (I've stayed there before) so the only thing I may do is look into seeing if I can change that reservation to AKL at Jambo if the opportunity presents itself and it's within the no-penalty zone for me to drop SSR. I'm not sure if that's even allowed with DVC.

Again, thank you all so much for your clarification. I was so completely lost, and you all helped me sort through it!

You may waitlist to replace any existing resort and those waitlists may be set up to search up until 7 days prior to check in. You are allowed up to 2 waitlists each UY so you could set up a waitlist for a room at AKV and somewhere else like BCV or even 2 different room categories at AKV.

Regarding the ECV - we've travelled with wheelchairs and people quite obviously in need but DH used an ECV after he blew out his meniscus just before a trip. Nobody said a thing and it's pretty rare for someone to harass. I wouldn't let that stop your mother from using one. People can be stupid and insensitive - that's all. Disney has a set up for ECV's on buses - that's all you need to worry about - it's allowed and accommodated for.

You may waitlist to replace any existing resort and those waitlists may be set up to search up until 7 days prior to check in. You are allowed up to 2 waitlists each UY so you could set up a waitlist for a room at AKV and somewhere else like BCV or even 2 different room categories at AKV.
That is so helpful. Thanks again

Did you contact the guide you purchased from to see if he could make the magic happen for your desired location?

And yes, the "no-penalty" zone is 30 days from the date the reservation starts (so it doesn't go into holding). But if your plan is to go there, then you can change it beyond that.

Did you contact the guide you purchased from to see if he could make the magic happen for your desired location?

And yes, the "no-penalty" zone is 30 days from the date the reservation starts (so it doesn't go into holding). But if your plan is to go there, then you can change it beyond that.
Actually, what you call the "no-penalty" zone is 31 or more days from the start of the reservation. If you wait until 30 days out and need to modify using fewer points or cancel, the points not used go into holding. Then you can only make a new reservation using those points no more than 60 days out.

Try calling MS and ask for the welcome home reservation. I've read for many that was enough. Booking AKV should be possible, it is a large resort and I bet Disney has many rooms available for cash that they can pull back into DVC inventory for a first booking. You might also try for something that would be more difficult in the future, like BWV or BCV, but if you can get Jambo I'm sure you'll like it. I like all DVC resorts but Jambo is a true masterpiece in theming.

We've stayed at Saratoga Springs several times, on RCI swaps. I agree that the Grandstand section would be best, especially if you can get the building closest to the Carriage House, where the front desk and the food services are located. As noted, there's a pool and snack bar (open seasonally) right in front of the building, and it's just a couple minute's walk to the Carriage House. I think the building has rooms numbered in the 8000's. It will be helpful to your mom that it's the first bus stop on the way to the parks, so there's a virtual guarantee of space on the bus, and it's the first bus drop off later in the day, when you're tired and just want to get to your room. The front desk staff has always worked very hard to get me into that building, even when I was originally booked elsewhere. If you're checking in early in the day, you have a better chance of getting what you want. On our last visit in December, we checked in around 10 AM and were at first told there was no availability in the Grandstand area. But the front desk CM checked with housekeeping to see if someone was checking out of the building we wanted that morning, and we were able to get that building. I imagine they just put whoever else was due to have that room in another building. The front desk CM's will really try very hard to get you what you want, if you explain why it's important.

Okay I am going to be annoying. :goodvibes

It is no big deal to borrow points for the Polynesian. I know when you're starting out you don't want to borrow. Trust me, it is not a big deal.

I clearly heard how your mother feels with the buses. I understand. I am actually at fault sometimes as at times I have to tell myself to be patient and thankful with the procedure. I took my mom when she was wheelchair bound to the Polynesian two years ago. It too was a dream of hers. She wanted to stay there when we went when I was seven, I am fifty-one.

I can't even explain to you how great the transportation is for using a wheelchair or ECV. First staff are beyond wonderful. My mother was continuously their priority on the monorail. I was emotionally overwhelmed to watch it every single day.

One day the monorail broke down when we were at the MK and obviously I couldn't get her on the small boat. I remembered that the TTC boat practically goes to the Polynesian. Voila we were back in minutes.

So really three options to the MK.

Epcot was a breeze with walking to the Epcot monorail from the Polynesian.

My mother has since passed away. I am beyond grateful for how she was treated on that trip. By all CMs. But especially at the Polynesian at every turn.

So if you choose it, two parks your mother is totally in control with an ECV (as she is with BWV/BCV). It is really nice to feel relaxed with your transportation options.

The only issue with an ECV at The Polynesian is that both elevators are tiny. Note that the second one around the corner is larger if you are on an upper floor.

It really is a fantastic resort for transportation. And when I say that I mean to easily visit other resorts too! VGF you can go on foot if she uses the ECV. VGF, BLT, Contemporary all easy with the monorail. And Wilderness Lodge/FW via the large boat from MK if she is using her ECV that day. Small boat options to many places if she is not.

So wait list or phone your guide! Heck scan scan scan. There are over two hundred studios to be cancelled The most being standard. List the dates, I will scan!

I love SSR but Polynesian is truly a better choice.

Oh and room service is great at the Polynesian. You can literally order 'Ohana's meal. One order is enough for two. And drinks to room. Drinks to room!!!! Then there's the zero entry pool right on the DVC side.

And as an aside I am 5'10" and have slept on those pull down beds multiple times.

And don't forget about the Minnie vans. If your mother is not using an ECV they might be a great option at times, at any resort to any location. I watched people using them this trip. They drop off and pick up at entrances, just like the buses. I will probably never use one but I understand why people do.

Last edited:

Yes, no luck.

You could contact your guide although MS might also be able to help. I'd probably talk to the guide first.
I did both, thank you. No luck.

Try calling MS and ask for the welcome home reservation. I've read for many that was enough. Booking AKV should be possible, it is a large resort and I bet Disney has many rooms available for cash that they can pull back into DVC inventory for a first booking. You might also try for something that would be more difficult in the future, like BWV or BCV, but if you can get Jambo I'm sure you'll like it. I like all DVC resorts but Jambo is a true masterpiece in theming.
I tried this. Thank you for your advice.

We've stayed at Saratoga Springs several times, on RCI swaps. I agree that the Grandstand section would be best, especially if you can get the building closest to the Carriage House, where the front desk and the food services are located. As noted, there's a pool and snack bar (open seasonally) right in front of the building, and it's just a couple minute's walk to the Carriage House. I think the building has rooms numbered in the 8000's. It will be helpful to your mom that it's the first bus stop on the way to the parks, so there's a virtual guarantee of space on the bus, and it's the first bus drop off later in the day, when you're tired and just want to get to your room. The front desk staff has always worked very hard to get me into that building, even when I was originally booked elsewhere. If you're checking in early in the day, you have a better chance of getting what you want. On our last visit in December, we checked in around 10 AM and were at first told there was no availability in the Grandstand area. But the front desk CM checked with housekeeping to see if someone was checking out of the building we wanted that morning, and we were able to get that building. I imagine they just put whoever else was due to have that room in another building. The front desk CM's will really try very hard to get you what you want, if you explain why it's important.
Thank you. I am intending to request the closest I can.

Okay I am going to be annoying. :goodvibes

It is no big deal to borrow points for the Polynesian. I know when you're starting out you don't want to borrow. Trust me, it is not a big deal.

I clearly heard how your mother feels with the buses. I understand. I am actually at fault sometimes as at times I have to tell myself to be patient and thankful with the procedure. I took my mom when she was wheelchair bound to the Polynesian two years ago. It too was a dream of hers. She wanted to stay there when we went when I was seven, I am fifty-one.

I can't even explain to you how great the transportation is for using a wheelchair or ECV. First staff are beyond wonderful. My mother was continuously their priority on the monorail. I was emotionally overwhelmed to watch it every single day.

One day the monorail broke down when we were at the MK and obviously I couldn't get her on the small boat. I remembered that the TTC boat practically goes to the Polynesian. Voila we were back in minutes.

So really three options to the MK.

Epcot was a breeze with walking to the Epcot monorail from the Polynesian.

My mother has since passed away. I am beyond grateful for how she was treated on that trip. By all CMs. But especially at the Polynesian at every turn.

So if you choose it, two parks your mother is totally in control with an ECV (as she is with BWV/BCV). It is really nice to feel relaxed with your transportation options.

The only issue with an ECV at The Polynesian is that both elevators are tiny. Note that the second one around the corner is larger if you are on an upper floor.

It really is a fantastic resort for transportation. And when I say that I mean to easily visit other resorts too! VGF you can go on foot if she uses the ECV. VGF, BLT, Contemporary all easy with the monorail. And Wilderness Lodge/FW via the large boat from MK if she is using her ECV that day. Small boat options to many places if she is not.

So wait list or phone your guide! Heck scan scan scan. There are over two hundred studios to be cancelled The most being standard. List the dates, I will scan!

I love SSR but Polynesian is truly a better choice.

Oh and room service is great at the Polynesian. You can literally order 'Ohana's meal. One order is enough for two. And drinks to room. Drinks to room!!!! Then there's the zero entry pool right on the DVC side.

And as an aside I am 5'10" and have slept on those pull down beds multiple times.

And don't forget about the Minnie vans. If your mother is not using an ECV they might be a great option at times, at any resort to any location. I watched people using them this trip. They drop off and pick up at entrances, just like the buses. I will probably never use one but I understand why people do.
Thank you so much for your advice. I took it, and I tried very hard to get us moved to the Polynesian. Unfortunately, our vacation falls before our UY so I did not have enough points to cover, and the MS CM told me I could not borrow from the next year so I could not make it happen. I do have a backup plan that I think will please Mom just as much, but I'm disappointed to say Poly is not in store for us.

Update on the Saga of resorts.

Thank you all, again, so much for your advice.

The more I thought about it, the more I realized that while she would be happy anywhere because she truly does not care where she stays, I knew that The Polynesian would be her dream come true. She also would enjoy AKL.

I emailed my guide, who told me that she could not help me and to contact MS. I called MS and asked about the Welcome Home Package. She told me that because I had already booked the resort for Saratoga Springs without calling them first that she could not help me with that. I told her I did not know that was an option (The Welcome Home Package. . . not the calling part) as I was new to this, but had only discovered it thanks to other members (cue: all your help.) She said she understood, but there was nothing she could do except find a waitlist for me.

She went on to tell me that because our UY is June and our dates are in May and technically I'm borrowing points from 2019 to cover this vacation, that I cannot borrow from 2020 to cover enough for The Poly. It's disappointing, but I understand her point. Unfortunately, May is the only time she and I could go.

I am a measly 3 points shy from being able to waitlist CCV, BRV, and BCV. She put me on the waitlist for AKL at Kidani and for Boardwalk. I know that she would enjoy AKL very much, and The Boardwalk is so close to Epcot. Still, if nothing works out and we end up at Saratoga Springs, it will still be a wonderful vacation. She will enjoy taking the boat to DS, and we will try to request Grandstand to be on the first bus route.

I was a complete newbie, but I have learned valuable lessons thanks to you all and to Member Services.

Update on the Saga of resorts.

Thank you all, again, so much for your advice.

The more I thought about it, the more I realized that while she would be happy anywhere because she truly does not care where she stays, I knew that The Polynesian would be her dream come true. She also would enjoy AKL.

I emailed my guide, who told me that she could not help me and to contact MS. I called MS and asked about the Welcome Home Package. She told me that because I had already booked the resort for Saratoga Springs without calling them first that she could not help me with that. I told her I did not know that was an option (The Welcome Home Package. . . not the calling part) as I was new to this, but had only discovered it thanks to other members (cue: all your help.) She said she understood, but there was nothing she could do except find a waitlist for me.

She went on to tell me that because our UY is June and our dates are in May and technically I'm borrowing points from 2019 to cover this vacation, that I cannot borrow from 2020 to cover enough for The Poly. It's disappointing, but I understand her point. Unfortunately, May is the only time she and I could go.

I am a measly 3 points shy from being able to waitlist CCV, BRV, and BCV. She put me on the waitlist for AKL at Kidani and for Boardwalk. I know that she would enjoy AKL very much, and The Boardwalk is so close to Epcot. Still, if nothing works out and we end up at Saratoga Springs, it will still be a wonderful vacation. She will enjoy taking the boat to DS, and we will try to request Grandstand to be on the first bus route.

I was a complete newbie, but I have learned valuable lessons thanks to you all and to Member Services.

Unfortunately I see that I did not include in my info that the Welcome Home booking is help in getting your very first reservation. Here's your first lesson in DVC though - others have gotten MS to help them even though they booked something else. If you are willing you might call back and ask again if they could assist as your guide had not outlined this program and you found out about it after the fact. However, strictly speaking, it does state it has to be for the very first booking.

On the borrowing front I'm assuming that you have banked 2018 points and are borrowing the 2019 points and still are 3 points short? That's tough indeed because you can't waitlist without having the points. There are a couple of things that could be done where you could end up purchasing 3 one time use points via some sort of dummy reservation and end up with the remainder needed in your 2019 UY to be borrowed if the waitlist filled. It's not overly complicated but requires looking for the right room to book and cancel to accomplish getting those OTU points.

Unfortunately I see that I did not include in my info that the Welcome Home booking is help in getting your very first reservation. Here's your first lesson in DVC though - others have gotten MS to help them even though they booked something else. If you are willing you might call back and ask again if they could assist as your guide had not outlined this program and you found out about it after the fact. However, strictly speaking, it does state it has to be for the very first booking.

On the borrowing front I'm assuming that you have banked 2018 points and are borrowing the 2019 points and still are 3 points short? That's tough indeed because you can't waitlist without having the points. There are a couple of things that could be done where you could end up purchasing 3 one time use points via some sort of dummy reservation and end up with the remainder needed in your 2019 UY to be borrowed if the waitlist filled. It's not overly complicated but requires looking for the right room to book and cancel to accomplish getting those OTU points.

It's not your fault. I wouldn't have known at all if you all hadn't mentioned it. I should have waited and called them first, but I booked prematurely so that I could give it to her as a Christmas present. When I spoke to MS, I did let her know that I didn't know I had to call them before I booked the reservation and that I was asking for help to modify it. She just said that she understood, but she, unfortunately, could not help me since I had already made it it. I followed that with a "Even though I didn't know about the program?" And she said yes, so. . .

Yes, you are correct. I have enough points to borrow to waitlist AKL and Boardwalk, but none of the others. I'm missing The Poly by a significant amount.

I have never heard of them not helping someone get their magical vacation if they already booked s resort. I think you need to take to the guides supervisor and complain. Key words might be to "escalate" this. Possibly shorten the trip by a day but since you're already in the 7 month time period, you should be able to buy the OTU points to cover the difference

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter