San Diego taxi's & transportation

Aimee810

Earning My Ears
Can someone tell me that the guidelines are for a 4yo and car seats in CA? We are traveling by plane and not planning to bring a carseat/booster. Would these be required if we take a taxi in the San Diego area? Thanks.

Can someone tell me that the guidelines are for a 4yo and car seats in CA? We are traveling by plane and not planning to bring a carseat/booster. Would these be required if we take a taxi in the San Diego area? Thanks.

If you are taking a taxi, then you will have to provide your own car seat. The current law (just changed on 1/1/2012) is that children under age 8 or 4' 9" must be secured in either a car or booster, AND must be in the back seat.

Larger vehicles like passenger buses do not require this, but shuttles and taxis will require your child be secured. If you take a shuttle, some will let you call ahead and request that they bring a car seat (possibly at an additional fee), but you'll be better off bringing your own if you plan on using taxis.

well if your going to use a taxi then u will need to bring ur own car seat, but if you use car service or a limo then they offer car seat for you with extra cost, i hade the same situation as u and i called this company sandiegolimotime.com and they offer car seat for free for first time client :)

If you are taking a taxi, then you will have to provide your own car seat. The current law (just changed on 1/1/2012) is that children under age 8 or 49" must be secured in either a car or booster, AND must be in the back seat.

Larger vehicles like passenger buses do not require this, but shuttles and taxis will require your child be secured. If you take a shuttle, some will let you call ahead and request that they bring a car seat (possibly at an additional fee), but you'll be better off bringing your own if you plan on using taxis.

Is it for sure 8yo OR 49" or is it 8yo AND 49"? I ask because I have a tall 6yo who will almost be 7 when we go, and I wasn't expecting to need a car seat or booster for him in a taxi. We have that law here (8yo AND 80 pounds to be out of a booster) where I live but it certainly isn't enforced in taxis. OR cars, for that matter (though both my kids are still in boosters).

Is it for sure 8yo OR 49" or is it 8yo AND 49"? I ask because I have a tall 6yo who will almost be 7 when we go, and I wasn't expecting to need a car seat or booster for him in a taxi. We have that law here (8yo AND 80 pounds to be out of a booster) where I live but it certainly isn't enforced in taxis. OR cars, for that matter (though both my kids are still in boosters).

Oh goodness I made a terrible typo!! Here is the official link: http://www.chp.ca.gov/community/safeseat.html

It's 4'9", NOT 49"!!! That's big difference ;) I'm correcting my original post.

Ah, got it. Do they enforce it even in taxis, though? Locally the car seat laws aren't enforced at all, judging by the number of toddlers I've seen peeking out the back window of their car at me, and the number of "Grandma Seat Belts" I see.

Ah, got it. Do they enforce it even in taxis, though? Locally the car seat laws aren't enforced at all, judging by the number of toddlers I've seen peeking out the back window of their car at me, and the number of "Grandma Seat Belts" I see.

I couldn't tell you how often people are pulled over for it, but the law definitely applies to taxis and a taxi driver would be foolish to pick up someone that had a kid that wasn't going to use a car seat or booster since it's required by law. The only way around it is to take a bus or limo, as they do not fall under the restriction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter