Safe time to fly out of MCO following cruise docking in Port Canaveral

peacefrogdog

DIS Veteran
What would be a safe time?
Assuming the ship docks on time, getting through customs at the port, arranging transportation and then the drive from the Port to MCO - would 12 noon be generally safe?

No one knows. I always book a flight later on though. Just our preference. We will book a 4pm flight out and just take our time. Enjoy a late lunch somewhere and a drink or 2 at the airport before getting on the plane. It’s nice to relax and unwind. Although we’re weird and enjoy airports lol

Is it common for there to be traffic on the highway between MCO and the Port on a weekday? (other than unexpected things like accidents)

Is it common for there to be traffic on the highway between MCO and the Port on a weekday? (other than unexpected things like accidents)
No. Usually it flows very well.

the road will be 'busy' but if no accidents or construction it can handle the load ... I'm a local and drive it quite routinely . . .

Remember it has tolls and while cash payment is available this WILL slow you down. Even just a few minutes in a queue seems like a LONG time when you see most just flying by never slowing down ..... if you DO want to pay cash the exact change lanes (quarters recommended) is MUCH better than the peopled lanes . . .

OR: TOP 5 other things that slow down the attended aka change line at the toll station

1. Do you take credit cards?
2. Do you take a check?
3. Can you break a $100?
4. What exit do I take to get to <fill in the blank>?
5. My kid needs a bathroom, is there one here?

:rolleyes1

If we hire a car or limo service, I assume they will use whatever pass (is it called Sun pass)?
Yes, they are definitely not gonna reach back to you and ask for some change lol. We have done a private care a few times, its super convenient and efficient. But kinda depends how many in your group…

Yes, they are definitely not gonna reach back to you and ask for some change lol. We have done a private care a few times, its super convenient and efficient. But kinda depends how many in your group…
Any companies you can recommend?? We have our first cruise next May and I’m looking at a 2pm flight and coming from Port Canaveral.

Booked Orlando Limo Tours for our upcoming trip. When I had booked in December, they had the best rate/quote. For our party of 5, it made sense to book a private care vs the idea of a shuttle. Glad we did with all the more recent concerns with COVID.

The safest time to fly is the day before the cruise departs and the day after it returns. Then you have no problems if an issue occurs.

The safest time to fly is the day before the cruise departs and the day after it returns. Then you have no problems if an issue occurs.
Why not two days earlier/later? Or three? I mean, if you really want the SAFEST time, how about a week before/after? If you're on a low cost carrier for your flight down, there could be a mechanical issue with the plane and they don't have a replacement and don't fly every day. And the cruise could be delayed getting back to port with mechanical, weather, or medical issues.

Now, I totally believe in flying down the day before, but I wouldn't say it's the "safest".

Why not two days earlier/later? Or three? I mean, if you really want the SAFEST time, how about a week before/after? If you're on a low cost carrier for your flight down, there could be a mechanical issue with the plane and they don't have a replacement and don't fly every day. And the cruise could be delayed getting back to port with mechanical, weather, or medical issues.

Now, I totally believe in flying down the day before, but I wouldn't say it's the "safest".

I don't think Evita's use of the term "safest" was mean tto be interpreted in absolute terms. Of course flying down well before cruise departure gives one the best chance of making it on the ship. Evita was likely referring to common situation in which people want to travel just for the cruise and may not be able to get the time off work to arrive in Orlando many days in advance.

Good point about the low cost carriers. Their fares seem so appealing but I wonder whether it's worth that uncertainty.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter