[RUMOR] 2 New DCL Ships

I've not heard of any announcements of Disney building boats for river cruises. Building any ship takes a LOT longer than a year.

Depending on circumstances from announcement to Maiden is roughly 4 years. Now DCL does have plans already for an in between class of ships, so theoretically all they have to do is some touch up to modern standards and take a number in a yard somewhete.

Eh, Im not sure. However with two more ships hopefully the prices will go down. Maybe Disney will go with two new "value" or budget type ships? Just a thought though.

Eh, Im not sure. However with two more ships hopefully the prices will go down. Maybe Disney will go with two new "value" or budget type ships? Just a thought though.

Doubtful. I expect them to do the two mid-size ships, with prices going up for at least a little while. If they really do create overcapacity issues, then pricing will decrease.

BUISNESS DEGREE ? GOOD IDEA
With more capacity, Disney coupd decrease the prices and still make a massive profit. When I meant by bidget type ship was just certain sections of the ship or certain rooms that are cheaper than the rest by a lot. Dont forget, "Just a thought though."

DCL wont decrease pricing because of more ships. Part of what is driving pricing is the operating cost, and its necessary improvements, and a lot of those improvements don't come cheap. Ive been involved in buying the last 4 fire trucks at work and Ill tell you from first hand experience, that pricing on engines alone has gone up $10,000 in 1 year alone due to emission standards. I can imagine what the big blocks that the cruise ships use have gone up accordingly.

Does DCL need more ships? Most definitely. They are behind the 8 ball in way too much. If you look at RCL and CCL out of PC as an example, they are all adding capacity to PC. DCL has no real way to counter. RCL is bringing in the Oasis, plus 2 other big ships, and Carnival at 1 point was running 4 out of PC. I think there back to 3. But the point remains that without cabins to sell, DCL is going to get left behind.

Both RCL and CCL offer varying itineraries, where DCL has been doing the same basic 3 for the last 15 years. Theres no real reason that after maybe 6 cruises for people to keep coming back, when they can go to Ft Lauderdale and get on a ship for 6 days and do islands that DCL doesn't and hasn't touched.

Plus, doesn't having such a small fleet give them very little negotiating leverage with ports for getting slots? Which could be a reasonn why they haven't given many new itineraries. If you're one of these ports, would you rather cut a deal with CCL or RCL who promise to regularly bring up to a dozen ships tp your island, or DCL who will only bring 2 or 3.

Plus, doesn't having such a small fleet give them very little negotiating leverage with ports for getting slots? Which could be a reasonn why they haven't given many new itineraries. If you're one of these ports, would you rather cut a deal with CCL or RCL who promise to regularly bring up to a dozen ships tp your island, or DCL who will only bring 2 or 3.
I wouldn't say negotiating leverage.

Heres part of the problem. DCL has 4 ships. The Wonder is semi permanent on the west coast. That leaves 3 for the east coast. Out of the 3, the Dream class until fairly recently or fairly soon are tied to PC by name. After that its 2 ships. It was part of the deal for DCL to renew the contract with the port. That leaves the Magic on her own to find new ports. Being out of PC, you lose at least a day, just getting out of Florida waters for lack of better term. There limited in where they can go to. Where out of Miami, you gain that day and for the same length of time, get deeper in to the Carribbean. My son is on a 6 day trip right now out of Miami, on Carnival, doing Jamaica, Coz and Grand Cayman. 1 more day could get them CC if it were DCL, or another sea day. Point is, they have options out of FTL and Miami. Without the ships, DCL is handcuffed.

The Dream and the Fantasy are cash cows for Disney. It would only help to add more cabins to PC in the long run, but also add different stops with it.

One additional factor to take into account, is RCCL and others are building new ships, is that they all have a number of older ships that are reaching the age and/or condition, that they will be selling them off.

they will have bigger ships but not as many.

AKK

One additional factor to take into account, is RCCL and others are building new ships, is that they all have a number of older ships that are reaching the age and/or condition, that they will be selling them off.

they will have bigger ships but not as many.

AKK

I looked at it as the total number stayed the same but the number of cabins increased.

MORE SHIPS= MORE MONEY TO THE PORT RIGHT SO PORTS WANT CRUISELINES WITH MORE SHIPS TO THE ISLAND WHILE ALSO BRINGING IN MORE MONEY

They don't particularly care how many ships you have they care about how many ships visit. Either way they get paid. Obviously someone like CCL has more opportunity to visit say Jamaica but there just as happy to to take DCL'S money

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter