Rubber stamping in scrapbooking

b&bdiscruisers

Mouseketeer
Does anyone rubber stamp in their scrapbbooks? I've stayed away from it but think I'm now interested. Those of you who do, do you use ink pads or paint. Give me some good advice about what all you're techniques are.. everyone! Thanks. :wave2:

I've been using ink & pigment pads as well as embossing. I'm really just starting, though, so I'm not sure what kind of advice I could give.

I will say, though, that I really like the "Disney Tub of Stamps" from Plaid. I got them the other week when ACMoore had their stamps on sale 40% off. I got a set with Mickey & another set with Princesses. They're pretty cute! They're tiny, though, so I don't think paint would work too well.

Oh - do you get DIY network? I just saw a show this week where they were using stamps. They seem to do a lot with paints. You might want to check their site. http://www.diynet.com

I do it sometimes - I bought alphabet letters - no more runnning out of a letter! - and the rollers for borders.....

Stampin' Up! consultants will have workshops showing you how to use stamps for scrapbooking. If you are interested, it might be a good way to get some pointers.

I use rubber stamps and all types of inks. I don't use paint because I use detailed stamps and they don't stamp well with paint. I stamp and emboss Disney characters. I matt them and use them on titles and squares.
I also have some "Disney sayings" stamps that I like to use on pages.

I love using stamps! I have a rainbow stamp pad , which you can pull out each color to use separately which works great! I also have an alphabet set and I like using that and then embossing the letters and adding glitter. I also have a small collection of some other stamps- a christmas tree, some others. They work really well on greeting cards :)

Michele

I use all sorts of stamps including lettering and pictures as appropriate. Seems to depend on the layout. Fortunately I have a girlfriend I scrap with regularly who has TONS of stuff so I didn't have to buy anything.

Deb

I use the stamps in my book.....but not as often as I should since I have a small fortune invested in them. I probably use them more on my cards....which use scraps from scrapping----see it is a circle!!!!

I have used the foam stamps with paint and it does take some practice to get the paint right, I stamped some favor boxes and they came out great so I would do it again.

Question - are none of you worried about the inks used in stamping for your scrapbooks? I've come to the conclusion that since Creative Memories doesn't sell stamps/inks, embossing stuff nor brads & eyelets, then they musn't be safe to use since they extensively test all of that stuff at their labs. I will never use brads or eyelets as these are made of metal, but I am still curious about doing stamping with scrapbooking. Just curious!

Tiger

I used to work at a scrapbooking store (an amazing job) and they said they will not sell any thing that isn't safe for scrapbooking. They have a whole rubberstamping section, and teach stamping classes so I think it should be safe :flower:

While I don't have one of those handy-dandy pH pens to check things, the inks & pigments I've bought are all marked acid-free. The embossing powders aren't marked, but if you check on many of the scrapbooking sites you'll find instructions on how to do embossing.

My first exposure to srapping was through CM & I have to admit I've always wondered why they're so worried about acid & lignin. I posted a question about this a month or so ago because I have my grandmother's albums & there is NO deterioration of the pix. I'll admit I'm not really concerned about whether or not my great-great-grandchildren get my books in tact. Many of my pix are in photo safe sleeves anyway, (not scrap books, just photo albums) so they'll be able to at least see the pix. ;)

I figured I just wouldn't have questionable items such as stamps & embossing touch the photos to be on the safe side.

My guess would be that CM tends to stay pretty simple and flat - with an eye towards getting the pics scrapped rather than a lot of embellishment. Perhaps that is why they don't do a lot of the extras.

I know I tend to stay flatter and don't like the brads and eyelets because I'm a bit worried about the abrasion factor even with the page protectors. And at least when I stamp, there is a tendency to "color in" the picture - not fast.

Deb

That is what I though FantasticDisFamily so I asked my CMC and she said it's because they just don't get good test results from all of this stuff, and that is what it says on the technology part of their website. Makes perfect sense to me - eyelets & brads are made of metals, so I am assuming that the materials could leach onto the paper and ruin my layouts, no thanks!

Tiger

This is something that I REALLY want to start doing! I do both, and it would be nice to bring them together. So far, the only stamping I've done in my scrapbooks is just lettering. It's so nice to have an alphabet stamp set. Saves money on all those stickers! A very good friend of mine is a Stampin Up! Consultant, and I've mentioned to her to do a couple of workshops doing scrapbook pages.

love stamps! love brads, eyelets and fibers! and ribbon! quite frankly, I'm scrapping for me and if the pictures dont last forever because I used a rubber stamp on the page.... oh well. Everyone scrapbooks the way the want to and no one needs to get bent out of shape about what someone does or doesn't do... Clearly there will always be the "disagreement" among scrappers, but no need to be mean about it. :teeth: Maggie

nicurn - I am confused! Who was being mean? I hope that you weren't referring to me as I really am interested in using my rubber stamps in my scrapbooks, but since I am a novice, I really am interested in knowing about the safety of rubber stamping. My style is different (as you mentioned) as I want my pages to last, so that is why I asked the question. I really am just looking for info as I don't know much about this topic as I just use my stamps to make my cards.

Tiger

I too am just getting into stamping. Haven't used a lot in my books but more for cards. But I do love the items I have rec'd in swaps with stamps and have put them in my books. I lovet he versa mark and use it actually a lot! Especially with my Bazzil paper!
Out of all the new and latest embellishments. I think stamping is probably the easiest and safest for scrap books. It is is ink. Think about it. CM or anyone else can make a safe photo pen which is ink. Ink is used in all kinds of things and has lasted for a very very long time. Dead sea scrolls comes to mind LOL! So I don't worry about it.
I think some of the main things with scrapping that I do to help keep my books and photos safe
I mat almost everything, I use page protectors. If I have lots of memorbila I usually make a pocket and it gets it seperat page. BUt I will put a ticket stub or something small like that on my page. I use good adhesive.I really don't put any sticker directly on a photo including CM stickers. (no idea why!)
My mom has a scrap book she made in high school. It is still in great shape. SOme of the the pictures have fallen off but no damage to the actually photo. She has everything in there! Including pressed flowers that are just laying on top of the pictures! I did remove those but really didn't see much damage.
I think scrapping needs to do more than just get your photos in a book. BUt also tell who you are by your style, creative ideas and more.
So for me, I go ahead and stamp have fun with it.
As for metal in my books. I do love my eyelets and metal embellishments. They just ad something. I like the look. I also think they will be safe. Will something leach off and onto my page? maybe but will it happend in my life time. I think not.And if it does so what. I have all my pictures saved on CD's or the neg. If my future generations need those pictures they can hunt them down. Also I have a very very old picture of some distant relative. and it is on METAL! It is in great shape. And I found it in an old trunk in my grandmothers attic!

I just went to my first stampin up party last Thursday, but ended up only ordering some of the patterned paper. I really debated on buying an alphabet set, as my friend hosting the party said she uses those all the time in her scrapbooks in place of stickers. I looked at Hobby Lobby last night - their rubber stamps are 40% off this week, but am still debating. I think I will buy a small set and play around with it.

As to the topic of your scrapbooks lasting, I try to be fairly safe, but don't obsess over whether or not it's going to last forever. I have to ask myself "will my great great grandkids really want to inherit 20 albums from me of everyday stuff-kids playing, at the park, at school, etc. In addition to all my albums (that I hope to get done someday), they may be inheriting another 20 from my kids. Seriously, I think they will, for the most part, end up in the trash someday. I would hope they keep passing down family heritage pictures, but the rest...... JMHO

eeyoreforever reminded me of a question I wanted to ask. Does anyone know if Stampin' Up is the company that sells stamps mounted on clear acrylic instead of wood or foam? I've seen Sandi Genovese using them on DIYNET.COM & I thought "What a great idea!" - especially for alphabets! I always have trouble lining them up, so it's hard to use them for actual words. :(

From what I've seen on her show, you can even get the mounts & make your own stamps, but I've never seen them. Has anyone else?

hi, no my post was not aimed at you tiger. no-one was "mean" today in this thread, it just sometimes spins way out of control and has a tendency to drive me nuts. :) I think stamping in your scrapbooks is perfectly safe, especially since usually one isn't stamping directly onto their photo. It's a lot of fun as well. And like spinning said... probably nothing will happen during our lifetime anyhow. Sorry to cause any confusion. maggie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter