RPR - Club Level Just Eh

Maleficent's Dad

Married to the Red Head
Background - we've stayed at the three deluxe Universal Resorts, and club Level at HRH and PBH. We're hardcore Disney fans, and our teenage children love Universal's rides. We've previously stayed ar RPR, but this is first Club Level RP. We're here through Friday, so I can answer any questions, but here are the quick reviews:

Currently here on Club Level Floor which is tower 3, floor 7, and checked in yesterday (today is Wednesday, June 28).

Positives:
1. Friendliness of staff, and their willingness to help
2. Location to parks
3. Management's attention when you call about a concern
4. Express pass in parks
5. Early admission to parks

Average:
1. Size of room
2. Room location
3. Hotel itself
4. Hotel's dining options

Poor:
1. Check-in -- as a very seasoned traveler, I have never waited in a line for as long as I did to check-in. There were 3 "team members" working the front desk area, with 20+ people in line. For most, it was over a 30 minute wait to be told your room wasn't ready. For a LOEW'S property, which is a higher end hotel, this was NOT acceptable. Today's check-in was the same deal.
2. Rooms were not ready by 4 P.M. Completely unacceptable. This wasn't just our room, but many people checking in.
3. After numerous calls to security, and 2 in-room visits, safe in the closet is not operational.
4. Amount of seating in club lounge - in 2 days, we've not had seats for 2 different occasions.
5. Set-up of food options/bar area in club lounge -- things need to be spread out more. People can't get a drink in the evening, or silverware in the morning as the queue for food impedes these areas.
6. The pool -- jeez, they had the pool closed for HOURS this afternoon due "to the weather." I don't know what channel the lifeguards were watching, but there was (1) no lightning in the area, (2) the boats to/from the parks were running, and (3) all rides in the park were open and running!

We have had a good stay, but can't recommend the hotel, especially club level, when looking at the price vs. amenities.

Check-in -- as a very seasoned traveler, I have never waited in a line for as long as I did to check-in. There were 3 "team members" working the front desk area, with 20+ people in line. For most, it was over a 30 minute wait to be told your room wasn't ready. For a LOEW'S property, which is a higher end hotel, this was NOT acceptable. Today's check-in was the same deal.

We've stayed at RPR off and on since 2010 and have never had more than a 5 minute wait. Something must be going on right now or your checkin time was very unlucky. Looking at the convention center's website there are two big things going on starting yesterday, with a total of 6000 attendees. RPR isn't on either website as a host hotel, but Uni is shown on the bigger conference's website and they are selling tickets to Uni, so...

After numerous calls to security, and 2 in-room visits, safe in the closet is not operational.

That can be really frustrating. Spent whatever unearthly sum DCL charges for their cabana, never got the in-cabana safe to work. They said it worked after the maintenance guy came out, but it didn't.

We've stayed at RPR off and on since 2010 and have never had more than a 5 minute wait. Something must be going on right now or your checkin time was very unlucky. Looking at the convention center's website there are two big things going on starting yesterday, with a total of 6000 attendees. RPR isn't on either website as a host hotel, but Uni is shown on the bigger conference's website and they are selling tickets to Uni, so...

That can be really frustrating. Spent whatever unearthly sum DCL charges for their cabana, never got the in-cabana safe to work. They said it worked after the maintenance guy came out, but it didn't.

Slightly OT but can you share the link to the convention center website you mentioned? I have struggled to find this information in the past - I would also be interested in events at SF if you have any access to that info! :) Thanks!

We're staying club level in August. Can you let me know what the food options are in the evening.

We're staying club level in August. Can you let me know what the food options are in the evening.
They change nightly. There is a schedule somewhere online. We checked out this morning and are at the BCV now, or I'd have taken a picture.
Tuesday night was "Mediterranean Night" (Greek Salad), Wednesday was pulled pork, sweet rolls, and pineapple Cole slaw, last night was chicken and coconut rice. It was all very good.

Mornings: pancakes (cool little machine that produces two pancakes), bagels, cereal (6 varieties), hard boiled eggs, muffins, croissants, pastry, oatmeal, juice.

We were never around midday.

Sorry your experience was so much worse than the majority. I guess it happens sometimes.

Sorry your experience was so much worse than the majority. I guess it happens sometimes.

actually WRT checking in, we had the same experience.. only worse. we were never informed that our room was ready and by 7 pm we were back in line( still just as long.. 30-45 minutes) only to find out it had been assigned to us over an hour earlier. no text to come get the keys.

oh and what was rather petty .. every single person ahead of us were told the same thing.. no rooms ready, but THEY were all given a voucher for a pizza down at the little casual Italian place. we got told that we could go eat at the pool bar. whose kitchen closed as we sat down at like 5. what , because we weren't traveling with a couple of kids it was okay to snub us?

the lounge staff were excellent at all times and overall the rest of the experience we enjoyed. but coming in on a sunday afternoon( off season) only to be told the room was not ready at check in( at 5pm) was just bad management by housekeeping.

the did however handle the Hurricane the latter half of the week BEYOND wonderfully. arranging food to be served in one of the big conference rooms, movies in another, a third dedicated to kid activities.

Given your experience Club Level at all 3 Universal Resorts, which would you say is the best in terms of food selection as well availability (both of the food and seating).

I recognize this is all just an opinion...but we are considering our first club level stay for New Year's Eve this year no less, so trying to make some kind of informed decision. I recognize during what is most likely a very crowded time that some of that may just go out the window anyway. We will be with our 3 kids (17, 15 and 13) so variety is key here.

Thanks!

breakfast offerings is about the same for all 3 deluxe club lounges.
some hot items and cold cereal choices besides pastries, fruit, etc

snacks that are left out are quite similar.
sodas, water, pretzels, chips, etc but it varies at different times what the snacks could be.

club dinner period and dessert period will be different in each lounge.

which hotel do you think you will book?

breakfast offerings is about the same for all 3 deluxe club lounges.
some hot items and cold cereal choices besides pastries, fruit, etc

snacks that are left out are quite similar.
sodas, water, pretzels, chips, etc but it varies at different times what the snacks could be.

club dinner period and dessert period will be different in each lounge.

which hotel do you think you will book?

Sounds pretty good. I think we are leaning towards Portofino. We've stayed there and RPR but really loved the room size at Portofino over RPR.

I think,what keeps me from trying pbr club level is the location

I like being on the special keyed floors, having the lounge right there. I confess I head down in my slippers. I wouldn't do that if it was in the lobby

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter