• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Roxymama's 5k to Marathon, Time to Collect Another Castle

Placeholder for my long overdue weekly update. Hubby & I are now in full-on "make sure we don't overlap" training mode. Just thought it would make those who have a multi-runner family feel like you are not alone in the intense scheduling. Soon we will be adding in Kiddo gymnastics and Kiddo Ice Skating but by that point we will be beyond "goal race" season :)

I have LOTS of thoughts...but I'm just a busy bee right now. So they will all pile up here soon.

8/29 - Bridget Run
8/30 - Chris Run
8/31 - Bridget Run
9/1 - Chris Swim
9/2 - Both Run
9/3 - Both Run
9/4 - Chris Swim
9/5 - Bridget Run
9/6 - Chris Run
9/7 - Bridget Run
9/8 - Both Rest
9/9 - Both Run
9/10 - Both Run
9/11 - Chris Run
9/12 - Bridget Run
9/13 - Chris Run
9/14 - Bridget Run
9/15 - Both Rest
9/16 - Both Run
9/17 - Both Run
9/18 - Chris Swim
9/19 - Bridget Run
9/20 - Chris Run
9/21 - Bridget Run
9/22 - Both Rest
9/23 - Both Run
9/24 - Half

Hey lovely! Fastpass day must be approaching soon right?? We had ours on Monday. So excited you got Bibbidi Boutique, can't wait to see the pictures!

What better reason to sign up for a tri that a t-shirt right?! So funny!

Looking forward to the recap, you are smashing your training and give me so much inspiration X

My youngest was 4.5 when she had her first BBB experience. It was like she was born for it - took it so seriously like a professional! It really was magical, one of my fondest memories of our first Disbey visit.

Wow! What a schedule. I can definitely see where it must be difficult to plan your training schedules around taking care of the kiddo and the other person's schedule. I hope you guys have that written on a calendar somewhere.

Hey lovely! Fastpass day must be approaching soon right?? We had ours on Monday. So excited you got Bibbidi Boutique, can't wait to see the pictures!

What better reason to sign up for a tri that a t-shirt right?! So funny!

Looking forward to the recap, you are smashing your training and give me so much inspiration X

This Friday is my FP picking day. How'd it go for you. Was availability what you hoped it would be? I don't have as many days and my kiddo is still small so we aren't really going for a lot of the "big E ticket rides" but will try for some new things for her like Mine Train and Frozen. Fingers crossed.
And thanks for saying I'm smashing my training. I've felt a bit smashed these last couple weeks, but I'm putting on my positive thinking hat for the duration.

My youngest was 4.5 when she had her first BBB experience. It was like she was born for it - took it so seriously like a professional! It really was magical, one of my fondest memories of our first Disbey visit.

Oh good to hear!

Wow! What a schedule. I can definitely see where it must be difficult to plan your training schedules around taking care of the kiddo and the other person's schedule. I hope you guys have that written on a calendar somewhere.

I haven't yet, but totally will tonight now. We have a giant wall calendar on our kitchen pantry.

Monday 8/21 update - scratch that
Monday 8/28 update - scratch that
Wednesday 8/30 update! That'll do!

Sometimes life gets "busy" and you just want to disconnect a bit. Not from running or working (well, ok maybe from working) or being with family, but just from updating everything on all the formats you use to update (facebook, instagram, strava, here, etc.)
giphy.gif

And sometimes then you have an awesome vacation out in the boonies with bad cell coverage and it's like life is saying "it's ok to disconnect a bit...go sit on your cabin porch and stare at Lake Michigan and drink your favorite MI beer" and so that's what I did. :)
pic1.JPG
(mmmm coffeeeeee beeeeer)

And then because you are a social creature...you start to miss it...and here you are again.
giphy.gif

So how'd things go while I was gone?
Good: The hills in MI were not as hard as they were last year. Both my husband and I both realized that right away. I also was reminded that I'm not so speedy when it comes to hills going up (still something that I maybe need to work on) but it's sure fun going down them! I also learned it is only 2.04 miles to the Bit of Swiss bakery near the lake cabin. I'd post a pic of my chocolate croissant but I ate it too fast.
I also felt like I really rocked my two weeks ago paces...was pretty decently proud of my endurance and pace 4 miles into my 6xstrength workout, but then...
The Bad: my legs were cinder blocks for a few of my more recent runs and I've been starting to get a bit of a cramp in the stomach/side region during my faster paced workouts. I tend to be able to "walk it off" or "slow jog it off" during resting intervals or just slow down breaks but it's been popping up. Not all the time, but it did pop up during my 10 miler at the 7ish mark too and that was just LR pace. Any tips from people who've had this happen? I'm thinking it may be a breathing thing or a hydration thing or perhaps both??? hmmmm
The Ugly: I skipped my thursday tempo run altogether last week and did not "make up" for it because I did run Sat and Sun as scheduled. I was on vacation and I lazied it. and I felt really guilty about it. And that cramping during the end of my fast one the week before probably was in the back of my mind. But mostly I was lazy.

But back to the drawing board!
200.webp

FOUR WEEKS TO GO!
Monday 8/28: rest - check!
Tuesday 8/29: 5mi EA - check! Ran it outside and ended it in the dark but felt good if not a little bored cause I was running sans music (the dark) and in a figure eight over and over on the well lit section near my house.
Wed 8/30: rest - check!
Thurs 8/31: 2 mi WU + 6 mi tempo + 1 mi CD (BLIND RUN) So I will try to get it outside but if time is an issue @DopeyBadger which should I pick
A) Do the whole workout as prescribed on the treadmill which is not blind
B) Try to lesson the WU and get the 6mi blind outside in before dark and finish up my mileage on the treadmill at the CD pace?
I want to do what actually makes the most sense for training. I can tell you I'm hitting the tempo paces fairly well...until I'm not. I'm starting to lag on the later miles like 2/3 way through but then I push at the very end (sounds like my races when I type it out)
Friday 9/1: SEPTEMBER WHAT??? Rest (and probably pizza...just being honest)
Sat 9/2: 5 mi EB + strides (this is slowly becoming my fave pace for training with the added strides...they are fun)
Sun 9/3: 7 mi @ LR...I can do it
I also think I may want to debut new shoes this weekend to rotate in. Would you all suggest the first run be the easy 5 mi or the LR? They will hopefully be my Half shoes if all goes well. Also I need to alert my hubby that I need to go to the shoe store this week :)

Some final items for the agenda today. Hot Chocolate race is giving me these!!!
MB62A2JEGag4STNZ4fYmrZJBQdl2zHqXWe93PmPLRIEYcEJPHK_yYFSPWV03Xv2QWEQR7-doR8aQa0N3Fr25CiRGcJUg6Lhq94jBjCnlrNmeWm1938O4u5YdjCx8GK5uk796o0CIDalpeDjSuEWxSCul9UcTPn7c=s0-d-e1-ft

Ahhhhh...a bonus medal too???? And it says "bronze" but all I see is "rose gold"!!!
They have a silver 5 year and a gold 10 year too. Hubby and I are pretty sure we are gonna fun run the 15k together since we'll be a little "spent" come 10/29. But that swag!!! And that's just the bonus stuff, not even the normal race medal, etc.

Also FP+ is this Friday as I mentioned above. Wish me good karma and luck!

Also, I think the roxytrio will be staying in Milwaukee Sat evening before my 10k so I'm gonna go bug that thread about hotel info, etc. :)

Also @AuntieBean is still safe in Texas and so any good thoughts for her and her family would be appreciated :)

Last edited:
I hear ya. Not the greatest cell coverage up at our cottage and very easy to get disconnected over a weekend and even more so on vacation. It's a beautiful thing. Then you realize you are starting to miss your friends here and ease back into it. Nice to hear from you again :)

YAY update!!!

giphy.gif

YAY vacation on the shores of a lake with COFFEE BEER??? I did not know such a thing existed!!

YAY for letting yourself be lazy on vacation. It's okay sometimes ya know!!

YAY that the MI hills seemed easier!!

YAY for new shoes!! I'd say debut them on the easy 5-miler.

YAY for Hot Chocolate medals!! I agree that looks very Rose Gold to me.

YAY for FP+ window!! Hope you get all that you want.

Many good thoughts going out to @AuntieBean in Texas. Glad she is still safe.

So, to sum up!!

giphy.gif

"Guess who's back... Back again!" (If I wasn't on my work computer, I'd totally insert a corresponding gif)

Happy that you were able to take a step back from cyber-social world. It is sometimes so needed and refreshing. But with that said, SO glad to see an update!
Your lake/cabin getaway sounded fabulous.. sign me up for a chocolate croissant any day! How was the weather? I am imaging brisk mornings and cooler evenings? I can.not.wait. to wear a sweatshirt again... Fall is coming!
Awesome job running on vacation... I reallly struggle with that. You rock.
I think I need to run a hot chocolate run someday... awesome swag!
SO thanful your sister and her family are safe.
Happy shoe shopping!

You're doing great! Remember training has peaks and valleys. It is expected to feel tired every once in a while.

I'd go with choice B this time. Lessen the WU to no less than 6 minutes.

I hear ya. Not the greatest cell coverage up at our cottage and very easy to get disconnected over a weekend and even more so on vacation. It's a beautiful thing. Then you realize you are starting to miss your friends here and ease back into it. Nice to hear from you again :)

Couldn't agree with you more.

YAY update!!!

giphy.gif

YAY vacation on the shores of a lake with COFFEE BEER??? I did not know such a thing existed!!

YAY for letting yourself be lazy on vacation. It's okay sometimes ya know!!

YAY that the MI hills seemed easier!!

YAY for new shoes!! I'd say debut them on the easy 5-miler.

YAY for Hot Chocolate medals!! I agree that looks very Rose Gold to me.

YAY for FP+ window!! Hope you get all that you want.

Many good thoughts going out to @AuntieBean in Texas. Glad she is still safe.

So, to sum up!!

giphy.gif

zellygifs....the thing I missed the most, haha
And yes, coffee beer! This one is not a stout or porter, but a blonde coffee beer. I highly rec.

"Guess who's back... Back again!" (If I wasn't on my work computer, I'd totally insert a corresponding gif)

Happy that you were able to take a step back from cyber-social world. It is sometimes so needed and refreshing. But with that said, SO glad to see an update!
Your lake/cabin getaway sounded fabulous.. sign me up for a chocolate croissant any day! How was the weather? I am imaging brisk mornings and cooler evenings? I can.not.wait. to wear a sweatshirt again... Fall is coming!
Awesome job running on vacation... I reallly struggle with that. You rock.
I think I need to run a hot chocolate run someday... awesome swag!
SO thanful your sister and her family are safe.
Happy shoe shopping!

The weather was great. It was in the high 70's so swimming was a bit chilly but we still did every day (and yes, I practiced. Still not ready for real lane lap swimming, but getting there.) Sweatshirts at night for sure.
If you can't get to a hot chocolate race this year, just make sure to eat about a lb of chocolate after your next run!

You're doing great! Remember training has peaks and valleys. It is expected to feel tired every once in a while.

I'd go with choice B this time. Lessen the WU to no less than 6 minutes.

Ok, I think I should be able to fit in more than 1/2 mi of WU if I can get my backside outside early enough. But I will keep in mind the 6 min thing for sure. Blind tempos are always nerve wracking, but at least I can't have the "I'm not running fast enough" demon since I won't be able to see how fast I am running, right? Ack!
Just reminding myself that there's no such thing as failing a blind run.

First of all: Ditto to everything @ZellyB said.

I'm thinking it may be a breathing thing or a hydration thing or perhaps both???

I find this happens to me if I let my breathing get out of sync, especially later in long runs. Sometimes it helps me to count the cadence of my steps (so I'll count to like, 100, one for each footfall), and that helps me get back on track. I know for some others, though, it is a hydration issue, so who knows? :confused3

Friday 9/1: SEPTEMBER WHAT??? Rest (and probably pizza...just being honest)

I'm totally on board with this plan. But there should be beer, too. :drinking1

I also think I may want to debut new shoes this weekend to rotate in. Would you all suggest the first run be the easy 5 mi or the LR?

If it were me? Easy 5. I'd be less annoyed if I had to bag it because there was a problem with the shoe. AND, I'd be less likely to hurt myself because I tried to push on if there was a problem with the shoe.

Also @AuntieBean is still safe in Texas and so any good thoughts for her and her family would be appreciated

Thinking good thoughts.

So happy you had a good time on vacation. A step away from it all is so nice sometimes!!
Those hot chocoalte medals are awesome! I signed up for my first hot chocolate race! Sister-in-law were deciding between that and Rock n roll and when she saw how expensive rock n roll had become we decided on hot chocolate Las Vegas Feb 2018- yay! I've loved your recaps of your experience there.

I agree with debuting new shoes during your 5 miler. That sounds like a perfect way to break them in!

And good thoughts for @AuntieBean My sister-in-law's sister had to leave her home in a canoe. Her husband and teenage son have spent the last couple of days rescuing people in their canoe. It's amazing and terrible the devastation that region has seen!

Your vacation sounds lovely...a little time to disconnect is always a good thing!

I am so jealous of those Hot Chocolate medals! They are so pretty (and I'm with you, they look rose gold to me! WIN!).

So happy you had a good time on vacation. A step away from it all is so nice sometimes!!
Those hot chocoalte medals are awesome! I signed up for my first hot chocolate race! Sister-in-law were deciding between that and Rock n roll and when she saw how expensive rock n roll had become we decided on hot chocolate Las Vegas Feb 2018- yay! I've loved your recaps of your experience there.

I agree with debuting new shoes during your 5 miler. That sounds like a perfect way to break them in!

And good thoughts for @AuntieBean My sister-in-law's sister had to leave her home in a canoe. Her husband and teenage son have spent the last couple of days rescuing people in their canoe. It's amazing and terrible the devastation that region has seen!

Yay, another Hot Chocolate cult member...erm...I mean...club member...
I really do enjoy the Chicago version so I hope the Vegas one lives up to my hype!

And that is so scary to think about having to canoe around your home. So far my sister is in a dryer area. Praying it stays that way for her.

Your vacation sounds lovely...a little time to disconnect is always a good thing!

I am so jealous of those Hot Chocolate medals! They are so pretty (and I'm with you, they look rose gold to me! WIN!).

I knew you'd understand since you have expressed a need for a disconnect before. Now I'm like all over social media again so obviously I'm still addicted.

Yeah, I thought I was going to have less bling this year because less total races, but somehow I keep amassing extra bling. I'm not complaining!!!

Sounds like you enjoyed your time in the Mitten! I totally understand skipping runs on vacation and the guilt that comes with it - the struggle is real!

Sounds like a wonderful vacation ... always nice to disconnect for a little bit!

Hmm ... when I get cramps, water helps. Sometimes just massaging the area a bit helps too. It can also definitely be a breathing thing - I may be wrong about this (I used to mix it up a lot and now it's so second nature that I can't think about it), but I think you're supposed to exhale when the foot opposite the cramp comes down.

Like everyone else ... I'd say do the 5 miler with the new shoes. I always try to start off new shoes on a shorter run and then go from there. (I actully usually try to start with 2-3 miles, but if the way my plan is set up doesn't allow for that, I try not to go over 5 miles in the first 2-3 runs of new shoes). (I actually have new shoes that I bought a few weeks ago that I haven't started wearing ... my old shoes are being stubborn and refusing to force me to retire them ... but my plan is to start off the shoes on a 2-3 mile run because these are short run shoes that will max out at 5 miles and I don't want to start them at the max. But that's entirely besides the point)

That Hot Chocolate bling is awesome! I definitely see the rose gold too ... that picture does not look very bronze.

Glad to hear that @AuntieBean and her family are safe. I hope they can stay safe ... sending her lots of good thoughts and prayers!

Oh good to hear!
51590480169.jpg

She nailed the pose. The funniest thing that night was she had chosen some silly princess shoes (I think they were Belle ones) that she insisted on wearing. We had no stroller on the trip so she was spending a bit of time on my shoulders. I told her if she was going to wear the shoes she wasn't going on my shoulders. Well guess who walked almost all night!!!

Forgot to respond to cramps - I get those too. For my it's usually a hydration or breathing issue, like you said. When I get them I sort of try to breathe in for a count of 2-3 and slowly breathe out...sometimes that helps. :confused3

Forgot to respond to cramps - I get those too. For my it's usually a hydration or breathing issue, like you said. When I get them I sort of try to breathe in for a count of 2-3 and slowly breathe out...sometimes that helps. :confused3

@roxymama I get cramps too and I do similar breathing as @Ariel484 with a strong exhale (like pushing breath out) and I'll also put my hands behind my head as it stretches that area and I find it helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter